Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,241 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office (507 Views)

Like I Did With Buhari, I'll Assess Tinubu's Government After One Year — Soyinka / Tribunal Scolds APC’s Lawyer Who Complained After 8 Hours / Nicholas Mbah Released After 8 Months. #EndSARS People In Kirikiri More Than 500 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by Col007: 11:41am On Mar 26, 2019
President Muhammadu Buhari says he needs the support of the National Assembly to enable him leave behind a good legacy after his eight years in office.

Buhari made this known when he hosted the All Progressives Congress (APC) governors and senators-elect to dinner in the Presidential Villa on Monday, March 25, 2019.
While regretting some actions of the Bukola Saraki-led 8th National Assembly, Buhari urged the lawmakers to place the interest of the country above their personal interests.
it is of note that Saraki gave Buhari the famous stare at the APC national convention.
Recall that there was an Executive/Legislature rift that began shortly after Saraki's emergence as Senate President.

[b]“This is my fifth and last time of standing for an election – for that reason I’ll like to leave something behind
,” Buhari declared.

He continued: “And what I want to leave cannot be successfully done without your support.

“So, that is why I’m appealing for your support. What happened in the last senate and so on is regrettable because I still feel it shouldn’t take seven months to pass a budget. You have a very, very serious job ahead of you.

“So, what I’m appealing is that any major decision you are going to take please reflect more on the country than yourself as a person – what effect will it have on the country,” he appealed to the lawmakers.

The APC national chairman, Adams Oshiohmole; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, and other presidential aides also attended the event.

The governors of Kogi, Jigawa, Oyo, Kaduna, Kebbi, Zamfara, Borno, Yobe, Plateau, Osun and Lagos were also present.

Speaking to journalists after the dinner, Oshiomhole hinted that the issue of the Senate leadership was discussed at the gathering.

“The system talks about the separation of powers between the executive and legislature and the two must handshake for things to happen,” Oshiomhole said.

“And when you have a President that is determined to drive changes, fundamental changes that will affect our habits, our life style, review the economy, deal with the security situation, fight corruption as fiercely as he is trying to do, he will need a very supportive legislative arm of government.

“And happily, the Nigerian people have given us the number in the legislative arm of government. All we have agreed today is that we will use these numbers as a functioning whole to determine the leadership of the senate in a way that we are not going to go to the floor of the senate and allow the opposition dictate who becomes the senate president.

“Because, we have comfortable majority to drive that, what we have to do is to manage that majority," he added.

Majority Leader, Ahmad Lawan, Senators Ali Ndume and Danjuma Goje are top contenders for the position of Senate President in the 9th Assembly.
Source: Pulse Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by freeze001(f): 11:42am On Mar 26, 2019
Still wanting to leave something? No legacy you can point to yet till now? Ok na

“And when you have a President that is determined to drive changes, fundamental changes that will affect our habits, our life style, review the economy, deal with the security situation, fight corruption as fiercely as he is trying to do, he will need a very supportive legislative arm of government.

...a very supportive legislative arm of government = Rubber stamp

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by Col007: 11:43am On Mar 26, 2019
grin
Corruption fight - Inconclusive
Economy revamp -Inconclusive
Electoral process - Inconclusive
Insurgency fight - Inconclusive
Rule of law - Under consideration

Hopefully something would be concluded after eight years. Thank God he could admit the situation of thing. Over to zombies to defend cheesy

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by izaray(f): 11:49am On Mar 26, 2019
What legacy is he talking about? Buhari you can't offer what you don't have jare
Re: Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by Ponponkon: 11:59am On Mar 26, 2019
Re: Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by NaijaRoyalty(m): 12:01pm On Mar 26, 2019
You want to leave debts upon debts behind ..

How much have you borrowed from China between 2015 till date?

Oni gbese'

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by IbyOneGod: 12:05pm On Mar 26, 2019
He has nothing to pressent than a legacy that will scare even the unborn children in the nearest future.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by lagdmark(m): 12:14pm On Mar 26, 2019
Buhari please don't leave anything behind as you go back to Daura carry everything . Carry your integrity, your sleeping tablets......

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I'll Like To Leave Something Behind After 8-years In Office by SarkinYarki: 12:17pm On Mar 26, 2019
Oga you are leaving gnashing poverty and division behind..

(1) (Reply)

This Sani Mohammed Again? / International Organisation Condemned Igwala's Conviction And Judicial Harassment / Yahaya Bello - The Worst Performing Governor & A Sore Disgrace To The Youths!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.