Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,356 members, 7,954,453 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:14 PM

N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. (19909 Views)

Police On Trail Of Us-based Nigerian Over N22.5 Million Fraud / Ize-Iyamu To Appear In Court Today Over N700 Million Fraud / EFCC Arraigns Abdulsalam Saleh Abdulkareem For $1.3 Million Fraud (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Korllami007: 6:10pm On Mar 28, 2019
What an achievement by efpc?
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Agwoden(m): 6:12pm On Mar 28, 2019
Even Buhari does not know the Technology that EFCC is talking about.
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Tes11: 6:12pm On Mar 28, 2019
How many millions go for that one?
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Jossy4luv1(m): 6:12pm On Mar 28, 2019
k
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Hezzyluv: 6:13pm On Mar 28, 2019
See below

Oga, but people don wise up now.
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Xisnin(m): 6:14pm On Mar 28, 2019
SoftP:
EFCC is the most corrupt institution in Nigeria.

It's a case of an Armed robber stealing from a criminal that stole from a villian and crook who was accompanied by a bugler and bandit...

All of them naa Thief
You must be a Yahoo boy.
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by foreshore(m): 6:14pm On Mar 28, 2019
deji17:

N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court.

The South East Zonal office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Enugu on Wednesday, March 27, 2019 opened a new vista in its prosecutorial annals when it deployed technology in the prosecution of its case by calling a prosecution witness living in the United States of America, Obu Nnamdi Patrick via Skype in a case of Conspiracy, Obtaining Under False Pretences and Impersonation to the tune of N12,800,200 (Twelve Million, Eight Hundred Thousand Two Hundred Naira) against Amobi Alukwu and his wife, Helen Alukwu which was brought before Justice N.I. Buba of the Federal High Court Enugu.

Alukwu, who was a brother in-law of the complainant was accused of obtaining the said sums by first claiming that his brother in-law, Obu Nnamdi Patrick was dead and that his wife, Helen who is the sister to the complainant, was the complainant’s daughter all in a bid to claim compensation on two plots of land at Ifo Layout, Abakpa Nike Enugu from Niger Delta Power Holding Company Ltd/NIPP, whose high tension wire passed through the lands.

Investigation also revealed that when actual payment was to be made and in order to lay credence to being the bonafide beneficiary, Alukwu knowing that the properties was captured in the name of its true owner, Obu Nnamdi Patrick, further presented a sworn affidavit of change of name in his own name as being the same person as the complainant and even made his staff to confirm the change of name.

In his evidence via Skype, the complainant stated he was the rightful owner of the land and as could be seen, he is alive not deceased as was purportedly reported by the complainant. He equally said that he never gave the defendant the power of attorney and deed of assignment of the land stating that Alukwu was his in-law being a brother to his (Patrick’s) wife.

Later in his testimony, the Investigating officer, Collins Iheonunekwu gave a cursory insight into the findings of the Commission stating that the defendant lied in court to get a sworn affidavit claiming the same name as the complainant to get compensation from George Nzei and Co, the company contracted by NDPHC/NIPP to evaluate and pay compensation to beneficiaries.

The case has been adjourned to April 15, 2019 for continuation of trial.

Media & Publicity

March 27, 2019

https://efccnigeria.org/efcc/news/3981-n12-8-million-fraud-efcc-deploys-technology-in-court

Where is the technology here. Skype that even a nursery school child can initiate. Na wa o!!!

1 Like

Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by iamezekwesiri: 6:14pm On Mar 28, 2019
Wow!!!

What a feat!!!

New Vista ko Outdated Vista ni
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Hedonisst: 6:16pm On Mar 28, 2019
So na Skype be the 'technology' wey dem 'deploy'? These clowns are something else.
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by deji17: 6:18pm On Mar 28, 2019
foreshore:

Where is the technology here. Skype that even a nursery school child can initiate. Na wa o!!!
If it has never been used in Nigeria court before, maybe it is worth mentioning . Now guys know that you be in USA/ China and testify in a Nigerian court.
Its just to bring the awareness to everybody
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by GoodofNaija: 6:22pm On Mar 28, 2019
The one that detected the bullion van was not recognized grin

Na Skype dey shak them grin
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by AngelicBeing: 6:24pm On Mar 28, 2019
izzou:
grin grin grin grin grin

I was expecting one technological feat while opening this thread only for me to see rubbish

So we should celebrate and applaud EFCC for using Skype.... Skype angry wey boys dey take talk to agents for China angry

This country sef angry
Gbam grin

1 Like

Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 28, 2019
So na Skype video call be high technology for our court?

Na wa o.

1 Like

Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by pawesome(m): 6:25pm On Mar 28, 2019
Skype?..
Please what am I still doing in Nigeria... Chai
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by olaswim: 6:27pm On Mar 28, 2019
Skype ke this one na serious matter....
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by nextstep(m): 6:27pm On Mar 28, 2019
izzou:
grin grin grin grin grin

I was expecting one technological feat while opening this thread only for me to see rubbish

So we should celebrate and applaud EFCC for using Skype.... Skype angry wey boys dey take talk to agents for China angry

This country sef angry

My thoughts exactly... mtchew
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by grexoo1: 6:34pm On Mar 28, 2019
but the set tinubu free after seeing bullion van living his house, nigeria na scame meanwhile see tinubu full speech at Abuja ICC https:///2uwbe4Z
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by SjMbula(m): 6:37pm On Mar 28, 2019
There was a country. By Chinua Achebe of blessed memory
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by NwaliE01: 6:39pm On Mar 28, 2019
Chei. There was a country.

Was expecting one sophisticated technology.
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by SjMbula(m): 6:41pm On Mar 28, 2019
Before nko? they should use Benin winch technology call am?
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Gsteve01(m): 6:45pm On Mar 28, 2019
Good

#RealEstate# #Building# #Land# #Comfort# #Health# #Wealth# #Cashready# #Buy# #Rent# #Sell# #Deal#
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Studyinchina200(m): 6:56pm On Mar 28, 2019
Backward
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by AerialMapper: 7:45pm On Mar 28, 2019
EFCC uses Skype and that is big news?!!!!!
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by MoonWater: 7:45pm On Mar 28, 2019
richidinho:
hahahahaha

Honestly I am dissapointed, I came here to see a very huge technology

whatsapp video call nko?

lol you people eehn
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by DeGovernor001: 8:48pm On Mar 28, 2019
jaxxy:
Technology that cud not confirm Ganduje bride is that one technology.
Na this your statement sweet me pass
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by nwanyionitsha: 9:24pm On Mar 28, 2019
izzou:
grin grin grin grin grin

This country sef angry
That is enh, i shock. I dey shake my head. What a mess. This country is finished.
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Mar 28, 2019
EFCC are bunch of jokers. No Skype come be technology in 2019!!!!. Shame on EFCC.
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by BrokenCock: 9:35pm On Mar 28, 2019
bladi 4kin Skype cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by onegig(m): 10:38pm On Mar 28, 2019
izzou:
grin grin grin grin grin

This country sef angry

You guys are just so ignorant you show it to the world Everytime.

This is a feat. The admissibility of electronic material as a primary evidence is still something that is contentious in Nigeria. To bring a primary witness using Skype is enough feat to show that the legal system is actually coming to terms with reality.

Not everything you react to.
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by izzou(m): 10:46pm On Mar 28, 2019
onegig:

You guys are just so ignorant you show it to the world Everytime.

This is a feat. The admissibility of electronic material as a primary evidence is still something that is contentious in Nigeria. To bring a primary witness using Skype is enough feat to show that the legal system is actually coming to terms with reality.

Not everything you react to.

Is it a new innovation that video calling is been used all over the world?

Companies, organisations, even individuals have been and are still using it till today. Skype is even getting outdated. And then it is used in a legal case in Nigeria, and that should be news?

You can keep deluding yourself with this form of progress. The internet is available for everyone. A good number of Nigerians can see where other parts of the world are heading to.

This is mediocrity. And I wish you and your household a happy celebration as you pop bottles for this.

Sigh smiley
Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by onegig(m): 11:03pm On Mar 28, 2019
izzou:

Is it a new innovation that video calling is been used all over the world?

Companies, organisations, even individuals have been and are still using it till today. Skype is even getting outdated. And then it is used in a legal case in Nigeria, and that should be news?

You can keep deluding yourself with this form of progress. The internet is available for everyone. A good number of Nigerians can see where other parts of the world are heading to.

This is mediocrity. And I wish you and your household a happy celebration as you pop bottles for this.

Sigh smiley

You still don't get it I see.

Even in the USA . Laws are naturally slower than the rate at which society develops. Till today in the USA there are still new laws just covering technology that has been existent in the last 20 years and most times by the time they are passed such things have significantly changed. Just take a look at copyright laws and things like Deezer and Spotify that we currently have now.

Now imagine here in Nigeria where we even have it worse. The last time the Evidence Act was amended was in 2011. Just take a look at what technological feats have been achieved in the last 8 years. To allow someone be a witness via a Skype call might not be a big deal in the normal parlance. But in the legal sense of it . It is a big deal. Electronic evidence were not allowed because they weren't reliable and who exactly proves what in this context. How do you certify that an evidence being presented is the certified true copy and not a digital replica? There are a lot of issues around it and not something you discuss over a post.

So please learn and move on. Not everything you dig in and argue blindly on. Being educated means you are able to say I made a mistake when presented with superior facts. You shouldn't join the herd mentalitiy we have here on Nairaland.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N12.8 Million Fraud: EFCC Deploys Technology In Court. by izzou(m): 11:10pm On Mar 28, 2019
onegig:

You still don't get it I see.

Even in the USA . Laws are naturally slower than the rate at which society develops. Till today in the USA there are still new laws just covering technology that has been existent in the last 20 years and most times by the time they are passed such things have significantly changed. Just take a look at copyright laws and things like Deezer and Spotify that we currently have now.

Now imagine here in Nigeria where we even have it worse. The last time the Evidence Act was amended was in 2011. Just take a look at what technological feats have been achieved in the last 8 years. To allow someone be a witness via a Skype call might not be a big deal in the normal parlance. But in the legal sense of it . It is a big deal.

So please learn and move on. Not everything you dig in and argue blindly on. Being educated means you are able to say I made a mistake when presented with superior facts. You shouldn't join the herd mentalitiy we have here on Nairaland.

Whats your superior fact? That a whole lot of nairalanders weren't impressed by this "very big technology" in the Nigerian legal system?

Hahahahahahah grin grin grin cheesy grin

Like I said earlier, this is bull crap, mediocrity, and the EFCC should not make a single noise about this. You know why? It's shameful.

And make sure you post pictures of you celebrating Skype as a means to witness in a Nigerian court.

Tueh grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Begins Animal Census And Identification / Allison Madueke Buys €20M Mansion In Vienna - Saharareporters / Kogi Protester, Sali Ndarusa Dies After Protest. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.