Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 (46339 Views)

Only Four Airports Are Economically Sustainable In Nigeria – Dr. Muda Yusuf / The World's Ten Best Airports For 2019 / 5 Best Airports In Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by 9jaRealist: 8:30am On Mar 30, 2019
good4all40:
Sincerely l don't understand the point you are trying to make here are you telling me the giant failure of our government is attributed to this? There are many Ethnic groups in Ghana and all other African nation still they are moving forward base on the resources they have.

Dude, Ghana’s est GDP (about $40bn) is LESS than one-third the est GDP of Lagos State ($136bn)... undecided

Nonetheless, I was discussing the SPECIFIC economies that were cited in the post that I was responding to (Singapore and GCC countries - albeit I added South Korea to reaffirm the basic points I made). And Ghana cannot carry an economic jockstrap to these countries.
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by good4all40: 8:43am On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Dude, Ghana’s est GDP (about $40bn) is LESS than one-third the est GDP of Lagos State ($136bn)... undecided

Nonetheless, I was discussing the SPECIFIC economies that were cited in the post that I was responding to (Singapore and GCC countries - albeit I added South Korea to reaffirm the basic points I made). And Ghana cannot carry an economic jockstrap to these countries.

Dude, I am not talking or comparing the GDP of Ghana to Nigeria, my points were simple and self explanatory, you mentioned that the 200+ ethnic groups in Nigeria is one of the major reasons while we are still where we are as a Nation which l disagreed with you and cited Ghana and some other African nations doing well despite multiple ethnic groups. I believe no matter the ethnic group in Nigeria every citizen deserves basic amenities, security, electricity, healthcare, Education, water, good roads etc which our government have failed to provide. Please stop this! our government have failed us and stop giving excuses for them.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by 9jaRealist: 9:44am On Mar 30, 2019
good4all40:
Dude, I am not talking or comparing the GDP of Ghana to Nigeria, my points were simple and self explanatory, you mentioned that the 200+ ethnic groups in Nigeria is one of the major reasons while we are still where we are as a Nation which l disagreed with you and cited Ghana and some other African nations doing well despite multiple ethnic groups. I believe no matter the ethnic group in Nigeria every citizen deserves basic amenities, security, electricity, healthcare, Education, water, good roads etc which our government have failed to provide. Please stop this! our government have failed us and stop giving excuses for them.

Dude, repeating yourself does not make your points any more valid...

I made a comparison between Nigeria and SPECIFIC countries in response to a SPECIFIC post discussing those SPECIFIC countries. Nowhere did I say that the characteristics discussed were the ONLY factors in economic development or the development of a nation. You introduced Ghana into the discourse and if Ghana is your benchmark for economic development, then bully for you but given that Lagos alone has THREE TIMES the estimated GDP of Ghana pardon me if the rest of us do not share in your idolatory of Ghana.
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by 9jaRealist: 9:46am On Mar 30, 2019
good4all40:

Irrelevant Strawman’s Argument... cheesy

Unless you are belaboring under a basic comprehension deficit, the highlighted was neither the point of my posts nor was anything remotely in dispute thereof in my posts. Furthermore, there was no assertion that the mere existence of substantial ethnic multiplicity and diversity is solely by itself inimical to development. On the contrary, I could not have been more clearer that it is the WRONG-headed choices made in Nigeria solely to placate the different and often adversarial ethnic groups - such as siting a refinery a world away from the source of crude inputs, appointing/elevating unqualified persons for the sake of ethnic parity and patronage, admitting less qualified candidates to achieve federal character and ethnic balance, awarding contracts to unqualified or inefficient persons on the basis of ethnicity, and so on and so forth.

Nonetheless, if you believe that Nigeria’s issues are limited to the government, then this discourse was a meaningless monologue all along. SMH
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by dreyton(m): 10:10am On Mar 30, 2019
good4all40:

As for the visa requirements is either you apply at their Embassy in VI I will attach the address for you or someone apply the visa for you online in Singapore the person must be a citizen or a PR holder, as for the kind of passes you need to work and live in Singapore, you can read more here on the website of Singapore Ministry of Manpower https://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permits. There are few Nigerians in Singapore compare to Malaysia, the atrocities my fellow Compatriots did and still doing is making it hard for genuine Nigerians here and anywhere in the world to excel. I will advice you apply for a lot of jobs online you can try learn4good.com you click on jobs then Singapore as country of interest maybe who knows you may be fortunate to get your employment directly from Nigeria don't underestimate the power of internet. If you are professional that is even better.

No one should think of bringing drug to Singapore except the person is willing to die they don't joke with drugs here it's a death penalty even they slaughtered their citizens for this offense let alone foreigners. Carrying that Green passport is a huge burden, l was interviewed by 4 CIA officers at Changi Airport (point of Entry) because l am Nigerian just maintain your calm and have genuine reason for coming here, tourism, visiting or work just be genuine you should be good to go.

If anyone is thinking of doing Yahoo Yahoo in Singapore then the person must be stupid or foolish, Singapore is very tight in regards to that. Don't even think about it.
thanks boss

1 Like

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by good4all40: 10:34am On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Not making excuses for Nigeria’s mostly inept leadership, but...

Singapore and the GCC countries were aided by two basic elements we didn’t/won’t (and should not want to) have: (1) a largely ethnically-homogeneous population (with the GCC countries entirely Arabic and Singapore with about an 80% ethnic Chinese population); and (2) they have largely been developed under dictatorial and/or autocratic leadership (and you can add South Korea to list, with a basically ethnically homogeneous population and developed under the iron fist of General Park).

In Nigeria, we have reportedly over 200+ ethnic groups fighting with each other, and if you dare to even suggest demolishing crumbling buildings on Lagos Islands, slums that pockmark our urban cities, illegal markets or mechanic workshops along the streets or underneath high-tension power lines, you had better be ready for armed combat or endless court injunctions. We have to accept that our chaos is the price we pay for our relative freedom, while the Ruler of Dubai can simply decree that he suddenly wants to build a canal down the middle of the city and all land require thereto is simply ceded to the state.

You posted this earlier and it was plainly stated by you that homogeneous population aided Singapore and GCC developments alongside dictatorial and autocratic leadership and you further mentioned that Nigeria has 200+ ethic groups fighting with each other which is detrimental for our infrastructural development and you even cited demolishing a building and some other places on Lagos Island and elsewhere will be difficult due to our relative freedom which l disagree with you because Fashola demolished many houses to paved way for infrastructural development though it was not easy for him but a serious government will do what should be done to develop a state or nation. even the outgoing governor of Lagos State Ambode did the same and we all can see the results. l debunked your points by stating a serious government will provide basic amenities for its people no matter how huge the ethnic groups are, they will always strive to make it livable. if Singapore and GCC countries have many ethnic groups like ours they will still be developed countries though it may take a while because that is what a serious government should do. I mentioned Ghana not to combat us Economically but to tell you a serious government will develop their nation no matter how huge the ethnic groups. I am not saying Nigeria problem is only limited to the government and no one here is saying that, but believe me dude, if our governmenet are willing to serve us and provide us basic Amenities, so many thing will work in this country. And no where did l compare Ghana to Nigeria Economically get that right. Giving jobs to people that do not qualify for it is not entirely an ethnical problem favouratism is beyond ethnicity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by good4all40: 11:13am On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Dude, repeating yourself does not make your points any more valid...

I made a comparison between Nigeria and SPECIFIC countries in response to a SPECIFIC post discussing those SPECIFIC countries. Nowhere did I say that the characteristics discussed were the ONLY factors in economic development or the development of a nation. You introduced Ghana into the discourse and if Ghana is your benchmark for economic development, then bully for you but given that Lagos alone has THREE TIMES the estimated GDP of Ghana pardon me if the rest of us do not share in your idolatory of Ghana.

Ghana can and will never be my benchmark for economic development what an insult!! I think you deliberately mentioned this to go out of the discussion because no where did l mention Ghana to compete with Nigeria or as a benchmark for Economic development. It is a known fact that Nigeria is great
economically than Ghana. I cited Ghana in my comments only on ethnical comparison that despite their ethnic diversity, they are still striving as nation

1 Like

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by Predstan: 11:22am On Mar 30, 2019
good4all40:

Ghana can and will never be my benchmark for economic development what an insult!!

We had the same Vision 2020 with China, they have achieved theirs even before 2020 while yours is on the verge on being extended.

Why cant Ghana be compared to our dilapidated country? Is Singapore not being compared to America? Is Canada not being compared to Finland? Nigeria is presently behind Ghana in terms of standard of living and basic amenities.

1 Like

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by good4all40: 11:26am On Mar 30, 2019
Predstan:

We had the same Vision 2020 with China, they have achieved theirs even before 2020 while yours is on the verge on being extended.

Why cant Ghana be compared to our dilapidated country? Is Singapore not being compared to America? Is Canada not being compared to Australia. Nigeria is presently behind Ghana in terms of standard of living and basic amenities.

Of course Ghana can be compare to Nigeria in fact Ghana is doing well in many aspects than Nigeria but Nigeria Economy is greater to that of Ghana even if we ordinary citizens of Nigeria don't see any improvement
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by Predstan: 11:29am On Mar 30, 2019
good4all40:

Of course Ghana can be compare to Nigeria in fact Ghana is doing well in many aspects than Nigeria but Nigeria Economy is greater to that of Ghana even if we ordinary citizens of Nigeria don't see any improvement

Oh yes. The Economy is Larger than that of Ghana and can actually feed the whole of Africa. But what do we get from the World Bank Economy? China is rewriting theirs, hope you know that. We cant continue to praise an economy that is not working for us.

2 Likes

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by good4all40: 11:37am On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Unless you are belaboring under a basic comprehension deficit, the highlighted was neither the point of my posts nor was anything remotely in dispute thereof in my posts. Furthermore, there was no assertion that the mere existence of substantial ethnic multiplicity and diversity is solely by itself inimical to development. On the contrary, I could not have been more clearer that it is the WRONG-headed choices made in Nigeria solely to placate the different and often adversarial ethnic groups - such as siting a refinery a world away from the source of crude inputs, appointing/elevating unqualified persons for the sake of ethnic parity and patronage, admitting less qualified candidates to achieve federal character and ethnic balance, awarding contracts to unqualified or inefficient persons on the basis of ethnicity, and so on and so forth.

Nonetheless, if you believe that Nigeria’s issues are limited to the government, then this discourse was a meaningless monologue all along. SMH

We are on the same page my brother, even if Nigeria is 100 percent Hausas, a useless government will remain a useless government, and having 100,000 ethnic groups in one entity should never be anyway inimical to developments. My points are clear and this not in anyway a strawman's argument if it's even worth arguing at all. You wrote in plain English so there is no belaboring under a basic comprehension deficit. Your messages were crystal clear.

1 Like

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by 9jaRealist: 11:41am On Mar 30, 2019
good4all40:

You posted this earlier and it was plainly stated by you that homogeneous population aided Singapore and GCC developments alongside dictatorial and autocratic leadership and you further mentioned that Nigeria has 200+ ethic groups fighting with each other which is detrimental for our infrastructural development and you even cited demolishing a building and some other places on Lagos Island and elsewhere will be difficult due to our relative freedom which l disagree with you because Fashola demolished many houses to paved way for infrastructural development though it was not easy for him but a serious government will do what should be done to develop a state or nation. even the outgoing governor of Lagos State Ambode did the same and we all can see the results. l debunked your points by stating a serious government will provide basic amenities for its people no matter how huge the ethnic groups are, they will always strive to make it livable. if Singapore and GCC countries have many ethnic groups like ours they will still be developed countries though it may take a while because that is what a serious government should do. I mentioned Ghana not to combat us Economically but to tell you a serious government will develop their nation no matter how huge the ethnic groups. I am not saying Nigeria problem is only limited to the government and no one here is saying that, but believe me dude, if our governmenet are willing to serve us and provide us basic Amenities, so many thing will work in this country. And no where did l compare Ghana to Nigeria Economically get that right. Giving jobs to people that do not qualify for it is not entirely an ethnical problem favouratism is beyond ethnicity.

Please enough with the irrelevant pedantic dissertations... undecided

I pointed out two elements that made/makes it easier for SPECIFIC countries cited in a list to develop FASTER, while noting the INEPTNESS of Nigerian leadership (and frankly not just government, but don’t intend to waste time expounding). Never said it was the only way to develop nor that the absence thereof makes development impossible. Accordingly, my discussion of demolishing houses NEVER SAID IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO SO IN LAGOS, but merely contrasted how much FASTER and EASIER it is to do so in a Dubai than in Lagos.

Nonetheless, if you are unable to grasp basic factual concepts such as how much more it is difficult to build a national consensus (and cohesion) in a Nigeria of reportedly 200+ often adversarial ethnic groups and an estimated 200 million people as opposed to a Dubai of one single national ethnicity and less than one million citizens, then afraid this discourse is not for you. Discussants on Nairaland can hardly build consensus on any national issues without ethnic brickbatting (or making spurious Strawman’s Arguments, in your own case).
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by ItzBIM(m): 11:46am On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

You used belabouring in the wrong context.
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by good4all40: 11:51am On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Please enough with the irrelevant pedantic dissertations... undecided

I pointed out two elements that made/makes it easier for SPECIFIC countries cited in a list to develop FASTER, while noting the INEPTNESS of Nigerian leadership (and frankly not just government, but don’t intend to waste time expounding). Never said it was the only way to develop nor that the absence thereof makes development impossible. For instance, my discussion of demolishing houses contrasted how much FASTER and EASIER it is to do so in a Dubai than in Lagos. NEVER SAID IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO DO IN LAGOS! Furthermore, if you are unable to grasp basic issues such as how much more it is difficult to build a national consensus (and cohesion) in a Nigeria of 200+ ethnicities and an est 200 million people as opposed to a Dubai of one single ethnicity and less than one million citizens, then afraid this discourse is not for you.

Meanwhile, please quit pulling out Strawman’s Arguments from your behind and attributing same to me. It’s more than mildly irritating! SMH

l understand your assertions better now but my brother if our government can not achieve stable Electricity since 1960 then what national building are we talking about, shame on our government. Our huge population and giant ethnic groups should never be a reason to be where we are Today, Nigeria is now the poverty capital of the world.
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by 9jaRealist: 11:51am On Mar 30, 2019
ItzBIM:

Thanks for chasing shadows in derogation of substance. The typical Nigerian personified (did I use those in the right context?)...smh. undecided
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by good4all40: 11:52am On Mar 30, 2019
ItzBIM:

OK maybe he can edit but l understand what he is saying
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by pacificom: 11:59am On Mar 30, 2019
sherylbakky:
@Op, were u expecting Nigerian airport to be included?

C'mon...We all knw any of our airports can't b there nahhh.

Mayb in another 50yrs sha... Let's just keep hope alive.
How can a airport that departure hall is not air condition, bribery from authorities and where grasses are competing on the runway will win such award. Perhaps MMIA will be rated among the worst airport.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by 9jaRealist: 12:02pm On Mar 30, 2019
good4all40:
We are on the same page my brother, even if Nigeria is 100 percent Hausas, a useless government will remain a useless government, and having 100,000 ethnic groups in one entity should never be anyway inimical to developments. My points are clear and this not in anyway a strawman's argument if it's even worth arguing at all. You wrote in plain English so there is no belaboring under a basic comprehension deficit. Your messages were crystal clear.

Again, with the Strawman’s Arguments... undecided

Never said the Nigerian govt was not “useless” - quite the contrary (unless “inept” has a different meaning to you), but the misapplication of resources and energy expended in placating (or even subduing) 200+ ethnic groups exacerbates the difficult task of development. Even the money spent in policing the intermittent ethnic conflagrations in Nigeria is money diverted from things like healthcare and education. And when Fulani herdsmen chase away native farmers from their lands, that’s agricultural production (and thus our economic health) taking a hit.

1 Like

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by ItzBIM(m): 12:18pm On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Thanks for chasing shadows in derogation of substance. The typical Nigerian personified (did I use those in the right context?)...smh. undecided

Just be humble and take corrections Instead of being verbose.
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by good4all40: 12:26pm On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

Again, with the Strawman’s Arguments... undecided

Never said the Nigerian govt was not “useless” - quite the contrary (unless “inept” has a different meaning to you), but the misapplication of resources and energy expended in placating (or even subduing) 200+ ethnic groups exacerbates the difficult task of development. Even the money spent in policing the intermittent ethnic conflagrations in Nigeria is money diverted from things like healthcare and education. And when Fulani herdsmen chase away native farmers from their lands, that’s agricultural production (and thus our economic health) taking a hit.

Stop saying Strawman Arguments!! We both agreed our government is useless and l also agree with you that solving Nigeria's problems can be difficult due to the reasons you mentioned, but a journey of a thousand miles begins a step, for our government, they have not even made the step at all they failed in all ramifications. I know you are sounding to be patrotic, but no one is even asking them to solve the problems at once let them start with electricity, if our country is still battling with the problem of Electricity since 1960, no amount of excuses will be accepted from our Government even if our population is bigger than China. Nation building is meaningless without basic amenities
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by Mftivi: 2:22pm On Mar 30, 2019
9jaRealist:

But when Obasanjo was fighting the Govs to establish the Sovereign Wealth Fund, weren’t most Nigerians backing the greedy Governors? shocked

Even the Excess Crude Account that Obasanjo established as a stabilization fund (or rainy day savings), and which had as much as $22 billion, hasn’t that been subsequently raided and depleted by Jonathan, Buhari and the Governors to the extent that it currently has just about $183 million this week (shockingly down from $631 million just recently in December 2018). Granted that we have a Constitution that generally promotes rent-seeking, but even the constitutional stipulation that all income accruing to the Federation Account belongs to the three tiers of government (federal, state and local governments), it does NOT require nor mandate that such revenue be spent immediately without savings!
You forgot how GEJ was dragged to release those funds? The west really did that guy dirty but posterity will Judge.

1 Like

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by oginniboy(m): 2:42pm On Mar 30, 2019
sherylbakky:
@Op, were u expecting Nigerian airport to be included?

C'mon...We all knw any of our airports can't b there nahhh.

Mayb in another 50yrs sha... Let's just keep hope alive.
lol naso

1 Like

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by Burnavick(m): 2:59pm On Mar 30, 2019
Not until 2086 when we are deemed fit to host the world cup
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by Ykol(m): 1:34am On Mar 31, 2019
Blessed3434:
Where Azikiwe International Airport?, Am sure the judges have never visited the airport.
lol the new building
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by Mizwisdom(f): 5:17am On Mar 31, 2019
9jaRealist:
Amusing that any Nigerian would be surprised that Nigerian airports do not make the cut...

First, most Nigerians have no idea whatsoever what an aesthetically beautiful airport terminal would cost (even without the in-built corruption often attendant to most Nigerian infrastructural projects), which is why many are still bitching about borrowing $500 million from the Chinese to build 5 new (standard) terminals. Meanwhile, Ethiopia spent 250 million for just 1 new terminal, while Morocco spent $500 million and Senegal spent about $700 million for just one airport each (and on an altogether different level, Dubai spent $4.3 billion for its one latest terminal). So we are getting essentially what we are paying for (sans the corruption haircut), but at this point in our development what is most important for us to build airports that work and try to keep our airplanes from falling out of the sky. Education and healthcare are more of a priority for us at the moment than fanciful airports. Would rather see a Nigerian university in the Top 100 than an airport in the Top 10.

Lobatan. I would prefer we don't hear of plane crash here in the next 20 years than beauty
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by 9jaRealist: 8:48am On Mar 31, 2019
ItzBIM:
Just be humble and take corrections Instead of being verbose.

Do you understand English or simply a ‘repeat-after-me’ product?

Meanwhile, ironically, you have used “verbose” in the wrong context! grin grin grin

Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by baratech: 10:12am On Mar 31, 2019
tstx:

Nigeria won't take that long to get it right...

I laugh in corruption
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by tstx(m): 7:15am On Apr 17, 2019
baratech:

I laugh in corruption
E go surprise you
Re: Only 4 African Airports Are Ranked In The World’s Best Airports For 2019 by hammed71(m): 8:38am On Apr 17, 2019
tstx:

E go surprise you
lol surprise attack

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Trump's Fan Who Wants To Run Away From The US Trailed By Hilarious Reactions / NAF Aircraft Crashes In Kaduna / Husband And Wife Crushed To Death While Returning From Market In Enugu. Graphic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.