Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr (35352 Views)

Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death / Google Celebrates Sam Okwaraji's Posthumous Birthday With Doodle (Photos) / Meet The Mother Of Sam Okwaraji: "FG Has Abandoned" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by denjjy(m): 6:54pm On Mar 29, 2019
Gervinho was born in ivory coast as a replica of sam okparaji

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by DavSagacity(m): 6:55pm On Mar 29, 2019
Fathertony:
blessings to whoever started this story, he/she made my childhood complete!!! Wow!
Them lie to all of us as a kid...

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by woodfrank(m): 6:57pm On Mar 29, 2019
ElsonMorali:
Wow. It's 30 years already. Where's the time gone? Dude's probably reincarnated by now.

You sabi. Who else believes in reincarnation? I am so sure I was reincarnated.

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Nobody: 7:00pm On Mar 29, 2019
queenitee:

Me too
this goes to show thst most of what we've been taught during childhood are lies.
..do you know some people still believe this version of this story?

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by CharlieMaria(m): 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
Nigeria was playing India and the rule of that particular game was if Nigeria could score just 1, Nigeria wins(whoever created such useless rule)

India was leading Nigeria with 99 goals. When they(the Indians) want to score, the ball turns to a lion and our goal keeper runs for his life. Then they score with ease grin

But Okwaraji(of Blessed memory) summoned courage. Took the ball, was about to take a shot. Ball turned into a big stone. He didn't mind. Kicked the stone with his last breath. Ball(Stone) entered the net, Nigeria wins, Okwaraji dies.

This is the version I heard as a kid cool cool

Continue to rest on Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji

And Ohhh, India got banned from playing football after the match(I forgot this part) grin
And the Only True Version.... grin grin cheesy

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by chris31(m): 7:06pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
Nigeria was playing India and the rule of that particular game was if Nigeria could score just 1, Nigeria wins(whoever created such useless rule)

India was leading Nigeria with 99 goals. When they(the Indians) want to score, the ball turns to a lion and our goal keeper runs for his life. Then they score with ease grin

But Okwaraji(of Blessed memory) summoned courage. Took the ball, was about to take a shot. Ball turned into a big stone. He didn't mind. Kicked the stone with his last breath. Ball(Stone) entered the net, Nigeria wins, Okwaraji dies.

And Ohhh, India got banned from playing football after the match(I forgot this part) grin
Lol i believed this story that year
I still laugh anytime i came across it

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by ElsonMorali: 7:07pm On Mar 29, 2019
woodfrank:

You sabi. Who else believes in reincarnation? I am so sure I was reincarnated.

We all probably are.

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by chris31(m): 7:10pm On Mar 29, 2019
paparazzi1987:

Please stop spreading fake news.

This story is for Thunder Balogun not Samuel Okwaraji . I watch the live match on DSTV between India Vs Nigeria where Thunder Balogun scored the only goal for Nigeria. the match ended 99 - 1

grin grin.
Lol bro in this 21st century u still dey argue this?
I have checked even for FIFA archives no trace of ur news

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by ghanaman5050: 7:11pm On Mar 29, 2019
Oooo Okwaraji oooooo Okwaraji ooooo Okwaraji
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Minemrys: 7:12pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:

lol. Ur head. I believed dis tale like madt.

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Ijaycool(f): 7:15pm On Mar 29, 2019
Chukwumagordian:

That's what I heard also.
But we were told he loosed his boot, on taking the shot, his boot went together with the ball.

The goal keeper catched his boot while the ball enters the post .

That's what I heard oh grin

That was exactly the one that happened.

The mother even screamed from the crowd "Thunder Balogun, remember your left leg!" So he kick the ball with his left leg, then played the boot off his right.

This is an essential part of Nigerian history

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by akaawasemartins(m): 7:18pm On Mar 29, 2019
REST ON SAM,

Follow us @consultblimp. www.Blimpinfo..com
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Mcreloaded(m): 7:24pm On Mar 29, 2019
Am going home am going home,
Am going home to watch the match,
Between Nigeria and Angola,
Emeka Amadi the goal keeper he threw the ball to Philip o from Philipo to Osondu,
Okwaragi putting the ball o inside the net

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by leofab(f): 7:35pm On Mar 29, 2019
The story
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by chydozane(m): 7:46pm On Mar 29, 2019
Lol in East it was like an Anthem every kid knows the story even now

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Nobody: 8:08pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:

yes I heard this too cheesy

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by prodigyhenry: 8:15pm On Mar 29, 2019
I won't be shocked if the story got to India too. Whoever fabricated that story deserves a national award the person made our childhood sweet. There was this guy who swore that he watched it back then, he swore with his father's head. Even me too swore when I wanted to tell someone else the story grin

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Ayobami7(m): 8:21pm On Mar 29, 2019
RIP
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Justinba1997(m): 8:29pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:

same Story I Heard Oo
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by PapaAdanna: 8:37pm On Mar 29, 2019
God bless your soul nwanne m nwoke
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Asssmasher: 8:41pm On Mar 29, 2019
Liverpoolside2:
Nigga is my birth mate

Who else is May 19th?
I am
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by queenitee(f): 8:46pm On Mar 29, 2019
futurist369:
this goes to show thst most of what we've been taught during childhood are lies.
..do you know some people still believe this version of this story?
of course, some people do
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by omo1478(m): 8:47pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:

Hello, are you a comedian?
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by naxclimpsey(m): 8:47pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:

His wife shouted on the field.... Change your leg!! Because there was a ring on his other leg. Assuming he did, he will still play for Nigeria in Russia � grin cheesy wink

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Papitrend(m): 8:49pm On Mar 29, 2019
Chukwumagordian:

But we were told he loosed his boot, on taking the shot, his boot went together with the ball.

I think the word you're looking for is caught
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Felicity1070(m): 9:26pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:

Hahahahahaha spot on stories we heard as kids grin
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 29, 2019
Chukwumagordian:

Same here.. I think this is the Igbo version of the story.
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by OlawaleBammie: 9:50pm On Mar 29, 2019
prodigyhenry:
I won't be shocked if the story got to India too. Whoever fabricated that story deserves a national award the person made our childhood sweet. There was this guy who swore that he watched it back then, he swore with his father's head. Even me too swore when I wanted to tell someone else the story grin

you and dat ur friend supposed go juvenile prison den, dem dey use dem papa head swear grin[quote author=prodigyhenry post=77101784]

Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by kleverley(m): 9:52pm On Mar 29, 2019
I'm just imagining myself in the scene in the second picture I'd cry till I'm been substituted

its paining me its paining me
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by popsyleo1: 10:17pm On Mar 29, 2019
Rip
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by chuckjonesbaba(m): 10:18pm On Mar 29, 2019
Fathertony:
blessings to whoever started this story, he/she made my childhood complete!!! Wow!

It was a great story!
Re: In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr by drpips1(m): 10:43pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:

I marvel at the you recall everything, you sure have a sharp memory, no artificial intelligence then unlike today but fake news was still spreading like swarm

AFCON 2022: Nigeria Vs Tunisia In Pictures / Footballer Chichi Igbo Puts Her Abs On Display In New Photos / Bomb Scare: Messi's Private Jet Grounded In Argentina