Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,433 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? (5520 Views)

Don't Let Your Daughter Be Too Close To Their Pastor- Journalist Advises Mothers / Man Finds Out His Daughter Is Not His Child After Taking DNA Test / Man Finds Out His 3-Year-Old Daughter Is Not His After A Secret DNA Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? by kristen12(f): 6:54am On Apr 05, 2019
Omoluabi16:
Exactly. Being free spirited is cool though.
How are you Kristen, hope you're good.

I'm fine. Thanks for asking

1 Like

Re: My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? by Hybridz: 11:12pm On Apr 05, 2019
Omoluabi16:
Exactly. Being free spirited is cool though.
How are you Kristen, hope you're good.
@bolded.....yea! until some guy somewhere takes advantage of it.
Re: My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? by nnamdiosu(m): 8:46am On Apr 06, 2019
First of all, I admire your honesty, openness and absolutely innocent heart. Forgive those who were suggesting weird stuffs please, if you check out their ages most of them are unmarried or are teenagers. (Most times, there are some problems that people who haven't reached a certain level or experience in life don't understand).

I read where you thank people for their comments. I hope and believe you've found an answer.
Normally, to a certain level, closeness between father's and daughters is normal, because a father is the first rep of a male folk/hero/celebrity that females face. And most times, it grows closer or less closer based on certain factors e.g role of a mother (if the mother senses it and starts spending more time with the husband, she naturally displaces the daughter), or distance BTW father and daughter etc.

However, God bless you bro. And give you the grace to remain innocent continually. Amen

2 Likes

Re: My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? by ogawisdom(m): 4:21pm On Apr 06, 2019
A father that lacks self discipline/ will power is all I see

She will be so attached to her first boyfriend n when dude dumps her her brain will upgrade concerning life n men

1 Like

Re: My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? by frozen70(f): 9:23am On Apr 07, 2019
Daughter's are closer to their dad's more, than their mum

Son's are closer to their mums more than their dad's

That is how nature made it

She can even bath naked before you because of the closeness and she knows that she is safer with you

It's now upto you to respect yourself and know when not to cross your boundaries

She need to be taught about sex education by her mum

It's time you start telling her to cover up because she is a girl

It's time the both of you seat her down and have a family talk with her.

From my understanding, she is still a virgin

2 Likes

Re: My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? by sacajawea: 12:16pm On Apr 17, 2019
DPRmoniker:
reserved . . . Sadly, posted on April 01, 2019 22:54hrs

For a reason I cannot phantom, Nairaland stopped me from making comments or continuing the rest of the situation last night. I am kind of unhappy that I couldn't keep up with comments as they came due to this unexplained temporary suspension.

Let me put up the remaining information I typed last night.

=================

She is sexually aware

She can have decent conversation about sex in the presence of me and wife but frowns on the boys when the raise sex-related questions. Once I heard her telling the mother of her friend who had sex without condom and panicked over delayed menstruation. Last year she causally suggested that she was a virgin.

Meanwhile I haven’t seen her with a boy. Her friends trooping house often are girls, so I wondered if she’s into lesbianism. Sometime in January, my cousin sister visited and they were sleeping in the same room. One night I saw her sleeping in the sitting room, later on she told me she ran out of the room as the girl-cousin behaved strange at night. That she suspects lesbianism in her and how she is irritated by that.
She had seen me carrying a girl in the outskirts of town. I don’t know what on earth she was doing in that axis of town. She said she went to certain market to find special beans (type of akidi) for some kind of native Nsukka food. Okay o! Later on she warned me (jokingly) to be careful with all these girls in order not to carry STDs to her mother.

I am touching on all these as they made me rule out lesbianism or lack of sex education. It’s just a strong bond built over time. Also remember that when I took her in 2005, two of us lived for up to 3 years before I got married to the mother.

The Way Forward

Sometimes I wish she was boy that will not leave someday. She is always ahead of her age mates. The sons are still following their mother up and down.
I plan to send her away somehow.

I have repeatedly looked at her departmental syllabuses and a lot of things there are ancient, far behind what the world needs today. So, I had decided to send her to France to continue studies for three reasons. 1. For higher quality education. 2. To perfect her multilingualism, thereby fitting into the current global realities. 3. To create the long awaited detachment from me. But her mother rejects this idea totally, considering that I will be going for further studies in a few months’ time. She’s of the view that all the backbone of the house can’t leave her like that with the two boys, and I am of the view that they can as well come with me. Putting her job on leave of absence.

So that is my plan for now. The girl in question doesn’t really have issues with the switch. She can always come to see me as I will be in another European country.

From all the suggestions I got here, I will enforce this plan and I’ll be a bit firm to ensure she doesn’t always come around. With this she can, maybe, start a relationship, reaffirm her independence and focus more on her future.

Appreciation:

I am very grateful for all your comments and suggestions. They really opened my eyes to different angles of this situation. Be rest assured it will be a win-win outcome and I will endeavor to give an update in the next one year or a little more than that.

And . . . for sacajawea and Mizwisdom

and

You make me laugh. You don’t know who you’re talking about.
Idiot Keep Quiet There! angry
Instead Of you to repent, arrange Your Marriage and stop cheating, even apologise to your wife you saying you Don't know who you are talking Too undecided
Mumu! You have a Twisted mind, you are in a Dysfunctional Family you Created and You a Useless Philandering Goat, to think your Daughter makes Jokes about rubbish like that #dysfunctionalfamily sad
Re: My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? by crunchyg: 5:15pm On Apr 17, 2019
DPRmoniker:

Lol. grin grin
She no go fit go Jives o, she no dey UNN.

Dejee o! O ya b unu patag'de manya nkwu elu
The worst thing you will do to her is to tell her to give you distance because you might end up pushing her away from you completely,she is still your daughter and in a way you still need that closeness one way or the other so don't do what will push her away completely, rather what you need to do is to correct her sternly when she does somethings , remind her thstshe is no longer a baby that she is now a big girl and so shouldn't be behaving like that and as well correct her and remind her she is a lady now so should know how to carry her self. The problem I see with you is that its like you don't correct or shout at her when you are supposed to do rather you allow something's slide and now its becoming a problem, I say this because I don't understand how she was reluctant to pick up her towel that fell in your presence and you couldn't caution her sternly and even when your wife cautioned her and she challenged her, you couldn't step in to put her in her place at once as a father, you better step up your fatherly game oooo
Re: My Adult Daughter Is Too Close To Me. Is It Normal, Appropriate? by dkidd: 10:17pm On Apr 17, 2019
A little father to daughter talk every now and then to correct her excesses and Op had to come here to look for reasons to push a loving innocent child away from him... OP start being a Father and not just a Daddy. You can as well talk to her like you would have talked to ur son if she was a He undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Does Child Training Become Child Abuse? / Can I Marry My Brother's Wife Junior Sister ? / Can You Allow Your Husband Engage In Anal Sex With You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.