Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,735 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life (4767 Views)

What Is It Like To Grow Old And Never Be Married? / Am I A Failure? Please Rate Me. / Woman Thought To Be Dead Re-unites With Her Family After 35 Years. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by phlamesG: 1:15pm On Apr 01, 2019
My name is Martin (not real name), I graduated from the university in the year 2009, that’s some 10 years ago. I’m an introvert, like the worst kind you can ever think of. I think this has also contributed to majority of my problems.

At 35, one would think that I’d have a nice paying job, nice little house with wife and beautiful kids, but the rude awakening is that I still live with my parents, I have two younger siblings, the youngest just got a job with a multinational company, somewhere in VI, while the other one is a medical doctor based in the states.

My parents, most especially my father don’t miss the opportunity to remind me of what a failure I am or I have become. He once threatened to send me out of his house, if I don’t sit up and lead by example. My mum at the initial stage used to encourage me and give me words of advice, but recently she told me that she has lost her patience, that I’m trying to sow the seed of stagnation and regression in our family.

I know you all would be wondering how I got here, but from a very young age, I’ve always been known to be brilliant and academic inclined, the funny part is that I graduated with a first class(most people, especially my immediate family seems to have forgotten) from one of the top federal universities in the country, where I studied architecture.

Like I said previously, I have poor social skills, I tend to bottle up my emotions instead of opening up to people, I’ve never had a girlfriend, not because I’m not good looking but because I can’t summon the courage to approach a lady. People say I’m timid and scared to face the world.

I had a job once immediately after I finished school at a construction firm, I worked there for two good years and I saved every penny I earned, hoping to invest in real estate, but I was swindled by some persons who claimed the sold landed properties, that was close to N8 million. All my life’s savings gone, I took a huge amount of loan from my company, when I couldn’t pay back I was sacked and humiliated.

Well ever since, all my efforts at getting another job has proven futile, it’s like there’s a spiritual force that is holding me back, infact I’ve lost all hope there is, my situation has deteriorated into extreme depression as I type this, suicide thoughts keep flooding into my head, I need help please, I’d be reading the comments below, please no negative comment, like I said I’m a very emotional person.

Zubelu.com
https://zubelu.com/blog/im-35-years-old-and-i-already-feel-like-a-failure-in-life/

1 Share

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by mekuso89(m): 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2019
bro you wan hear my own story?

I will advice you try contacting your siblings for Yankee tell am say make him help you come that side, I believe with your qualification you can get some thing doing with his help.

any ways I used to be like you I mean I once felt like a total failure in life, the thing got too much that I starred seeking for spiritual help.

long Tory cut short if you think your probs are more of spiritual then bro fire ya ass up and look for a solution ngwa ngwa before iruo 40

I believe you are a star

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by Oyiboman69: 1:28pm On Apr 01, 2019
mine is worst
Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by Oyiboman69: 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2019
phlamesG:
My name is Martin (not real name), I graduated from the university in the year 2009, that’s some 10 years ago. I’m an introvert, like the worst kind you can ever think of. I think this has also contributed to majority of my problems.

At 35, one would think that I’d have a nice paying job, nice little house with wife and beautiful kids, but the rude awakening is that I still live with my parents, I have two younger siblings, the youngest just got a job with a multinational company, somewhere in VI, while the other one is a medical doctor based in the states.

My parents, most especially my father don’t miss the opportunity to remind me of what a failure I am or I have become. He once threatened to send me out of his house, if I don’t sit up and lead by example. My mum at the initial stage used to encourage me and give me words of advice, but recently she told me that she has lost her patience, that I’m trying to sow the seed of stagnation and regression in our family.

I know you all would be wondering how I got here, but from a very young age, I’ve always been known to be brilliant and academic inclined, the funny part is that I graduated with a first class(most people, especially my immediate family seems to have forgotten) from one of the top federal universities in the country, where I studied architecture.

Like I said previously, I have poor social skills, I tend to bottle up my emotions instead of opening up to people, I’ve never had a girlfriend, not because I’m not good looking but because I can’t summon the courage to approach a lady. People say I’m timid and scared to face the world.

I had a job once immediately after I finished school at a construction firm, I worked there for two good years and I saved every penny I earned, hoping to invest in real estate, but I was swindled by some persons who claimed the sold landed properties, that was close to N8 million. All my life’s savings gone, I took a huge amount of loan from my company, when I couldn’t pay back I was sacked and humiliated.

Well ever since, all my efforts at getting another job has proven futile, it’s like there’s a spiritual force that is holding me back, infact I’ve lost all hope there is, my situation has deteriorated into extreme depression as I type this, suicide thoughts keep flooding into my head, I need help please, I’d be reading the comments below, please no negative comment, like I said I’m a very emotional person.

Zubelu.com
https://zubelu.com/blog/im-35-years-old-and-i-already-feel-like-a-failure-in-life/
look for small ammount of money and rent a one room appartment,then start from there. life is a stage

19 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by ObaKlaz: 1:34pm On Apr 01, 2019
Damn... This sakamanje story got me sha.

6 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by Nobody: 1:42pm On Apr 01, 2019
Third person story....e no concern me

But for those with similar situation here.....go and throw your certificate or result somewhere and put your brain to the test. Thinkers always make things happen. Trust me.

2 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by dingbang(m): 1:45pm On Apr 01, 2019
As a sibling, I wouldn't sit and watch my elder bro if he is jobless. If I have the financial strength, I should be able to assist him with some money to start a business. What are siblings for?

15 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by nofuckz(m): 1:46pm On Apr 01, 2019
Mr,this itself is a good step now you know you've got a problem what you dont know is were to start and how to move from there as it relates your life.
Nobody can get you that which you truly desire than yourself. its said desire ignite passion and drive. Little drops make an ocean as no man makes something for himself over night, but with work and endurance.
I'm nowhere near were i want to be but i pray i never loose focus ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN A DAY.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by tee59(f): 1:49pm On Apr 01, 2019
Life is in phases and men are in sizes. Every one has a story to tell. You're not alone. Life has not been fair to everyone but still keep your hope alive and move closer to God. Delay in life is not denial. Who knows, you may even be the bread winner of your family. Don't use your present conditions to determine your goals in life. You're only going through a phase, which will soon lapse.

11 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by ObaKlaz: 1:57pm On Apr 01, 2019
dingbang:
As a sibling, I wouldn't sit and watch my elder bro if he is jobless. If I have the financial strength, I should be able to assist him with some money to start a business. What are siblings for?
Some siblings can be very competitive. They try to maintain whatever edge, position/status, influence or money they have over others, especially in polygamous homes.

5 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by blessedvisky(m): 2:15pm On Apr 01, 2019
dingbang:

What about a case where you have assisted time and time again without seeing any results proportional to your input

4 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by MummyIMadeIt: 2:51pm On Apr 01, 2019
What a world we live in, Damn it!!

1 Like

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by dingbang(m): 3:22pm On Apr 01, 2019
blessedvisky:

What about a case where you have assisted time and time again without seeing any results proportional to your input
I hands off my case.

1 Like

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by demolinka(m): 3:24pm On Apr 01, 2019
Everything will be alright bro. For real. Try and get a job, no matter how small or denigrating ( teaching, research...) Could be in ur state or another state. Like someone said, it'd be good to leave ur parents and start on ur own. Be strong bro

1 Like

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by faithfull18(f): 7:31pm On Apr 01, 2019
It's not easy being the first child.

2 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by ThothHermes: 7:59pm On Apr 01, 2019
Fake story.

4 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by Mizwisdom(f): 8:28pm On Apr 01, 2019
Even if it requires carrying block, try not to sot at home all day, do something productive
Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by djon78(m): 8:57pm On Apr 01, 2019
Let me tell you the truth.
Most of the successful men you read about, had exactly the same type of life like yours.
Some were said that they would not amount to anything, but they beat the odds.

The greater the shame the sweeter the glory.

Don't you ever give up
Find ways and leave your parents house
In fact if I were you
Leave Lagos if it possible for you
That city is completely choked up.

There are wonderful cities you can dwell in Nigeria, and still make it better with a peace of mind.
Most importantly get close to God
Be prayerful, learn how to develop personal relationship with God. Because it is only God that lifts someone up

Be strong bro
It will get better with time

8 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by Abcruz(m): 10:39pm On Apr 01, 2019
Who among you fears the LORD and obeys his servant? If you are walking in darkness, without a ray of light, trust in the LORD and rely on your God.--Isaiah 50:10

For our present troubles are small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!--2 Corinthians 4:17

Nevertheless,
Submit to God and be at peace with him; in this way prosperity will come to you--Job 22:21

The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, declares the LORD of hosts.--Haggai 2:8

The ear that listens to the reproofs of life abides among the wise!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by nofuckz(m): 10:45pm On Apr 01, 2019
@35 you sir can choose to move out and go your way but doing so without any solid footing may lead you to doing shitty stuff,and possibly retrogress when you should actually be progressing leaving you feeling completely useless.
define your purpose take little baby steps, if possible start by crawlling. time i know is not on your side but it is also said patience is a virtue. walk your way up the road as you go so you learn.
Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by 3plet: 12:19am On Apr 02, 2019
Op pls refrain from this line of thought, As extracted from your story! " it’s like there’s a spiritual force that is holding me back, infact I’ve lost all hope there is, my situation has deteriorated into extreme". After which look "within" and "discipline" ur self accordingly,.. Its very practical and has helped me too.
phlamesG:

Zubelu.com

1 Like

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by mankettle(m): 1:07am On Apr 02, 2019
this is more of depression than lack of social skills. the guy just needs to sit up

1 Like

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by leathalbeast: 2:09am On Apr 02, 2019
OP, we all have made similar mistakes before but beating yourself up every second wont help, your parents attitude arent helping either but then again most parents are like that so my suggestion is that join a support group either online or offline, share your problems., it will build your courage from there. secondly, contact a friend who does not judge and is ready to take you in. hopefully, an opportunity will come whilst you stay with your friend. it will save you from the constant bashing from your parents. pls remember that suicide is not an option.. stay alive and fight this because God gave us all second chances. Lets use it

1 Like

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by Nobody: 5:45am On Apr 02, 2019
Blogger story

1 Like

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by Joe88(m): 5:51am On Apr 02, 2019
At 35 you shouldn't be with your parents, move out immediately and begin to sort yourself out. Nothing good can happen when you are still being fed and pampered. Secondly, get busy with your life, be hands on. Go to a decent club or bar on Fridays with your senses intact. Make new friends, even if you won't keep them. You need a well rounded perspective about life to effectively function in it. I was just like you years back ( finished with a first class from a federal university in 2009 - my social life was dead because I was over dedicated to my academics)but I realized at 25 that I had to open up and now I'm doing well.

6 Likes

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by jbblues24(m): 4:29am On May 21, 2019
It's delightful not just sleek!
Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by lilyheaven: 4:59pm On May 21, 2019
Keep trying, one day your sun will shine.
Can you change your career?
Maybe is not your calling
Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by adamsoghene: 5:50pm On May 22, 2019
Sorry for ur present situation but all will be well. If u think it is spiritual I can link u up with a man of God whom help me to solved a similar issues in my life late last year & now I'm doing great.
If u think otherwise; I will suggest u get connected to God by frequently going after kingdom investment endeavors; ur heavens will be open automatically if u do so.

All hope isn't lost just yet.

God bless u; if u wish to hear from me u can reach me on WhatsApp or phone call on 07032178167 - Fejiro Adams.

1 Like

Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by quickly: 7:44pm On May 22, 2019
phlamesG:

Zubelu.com

First class in what subject ? I don’t believe you have 1st class from the sounds of your writing .

Many people that grAduated with third class in Nigeria have made some headway in Nigeria.
Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by kwaso2: 8:53pm On May 22, 2019
I suggest u can start by volunteering ur time to serve in ur local church(I assume u are a Christian) as a church worker. I suggest u choose tasking departments like Sunday school or Teens church. It will open u up to group interactions and be active
Re: I'm 35 Years Old And I Already Feel Like A Failure In Life by ebuka1997: 5:03pm On Oct 06, 2019
Bro don’t lose hope, for when there’s life there’s still hope... and this would hopefully be a situation you’ll look back at in some years time and consider it as a learning phase in life.

The best solution would be if you can garner the funds to try and go and do your masters, since you stated you graduated with a first class, you should be able to get a scholarship even if it’s a partial funding and you can try to talk to your parents to help fund the remainder I’m sure they would agree because they are probably even tired of you and no parent would want their child to be a burden especially at your age. I recommend going for a masters especially in a foreign country as it can give you a new perspective on life as you seem to be stuck.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Your Candid Advice / Where Are Ngos That Fight For Women's Rights In Lagos, Nigeria? / Kids Native Wears For Birthday, Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.