Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:34 AM

44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief (8689 Views)

Aguyi Ironsi, Ojukwu As Young Soldiers (Throwback Photo) / See How Aguiyi Ironsi Was Murdered In Cold Blood. (viewers Discretion Advised). / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by chyz(m): 8:04am On Sep 14, 2010
Dr Cork:

IBO people are just too dyamm loud. So what if they made him an officer??  Big deal.

Maybe u should declare a national Holiday in IBO State undecided (no oofeinse)

I hope you realize that the story was written by [size=13pt]Kunle Akogun and Yemi Akinsuyi[/size] not Igbos or ibos.
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by Beaf: 8:08am On Sep 14, 2010
hackney:

As long as people like you are still alive, that country has no chance.

The truthful assessment of your sad mental deficiency hit you rather hard, didn't it? grin grin grin
Fcking hidiot!!
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 8:13am On Sep 14, 2010
IBO THIS, IBO THAT, IBO THIS , IBO THAT, give me a breaaakk, Gademmit!!, and have u noticed everyone respondin to these

IBO thread is IBO? undecided
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by igboboy1(m): 8:44am On Sep 14, 2010
Dr Cork:

IBO THIS, IBO THAT, IBO THIS , IBO THAT, give me a breaaakk, Gademmit!!, and have u noticed everyone respondin to these

IBO thread is IBO? undecided

yea ur dumbhead can never be igbo, so not everyone responding to the thread is igbo, u defiled abyss cast slowpoke
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 8:54am On Sep 14, 2010
ok I see IBO BOY and i see IBO people in Nairaland r now celebratin as if Father christmas is visitin their village for the very
f
fist time (no ofeice)
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by igboboy1(m): 9:08am On Sep 14, 2010
Dr Cork:

ok I see IBO BOY and i see IBO people in Nairaland r now celebratin as if Father christmas is visitin their village for the very
f
fist time (no ofeice)

celeberate for what? werrin concern me concern army chief? Right after he was appointed I checked my Bank balance and it was still the same his appointment no consine me biko,
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by anitabest(f): 9:12am On Sep 14, 2010
O tank God 4 jonaaaa,
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 9:30am On Sep 14, 2010
AND THAT REMINDS ME, JONATAN GOOD LUCK SHOULD QUIT WEARING THAT COWBOY HAT!!!!. sad

, do they have cowboys in Ibo villages?
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by opribo(m): 9:40am On Sep 14, 2010
Removed two to replace one, he is still afraid, he needs to take more daring steps. He is the Commander in chief for crying out loud. Bleep the damn cabal. 3 things I expect him to do immediately.

1. Ban all past leaders from contesting 2011 elections including himself
2. Setup a task force PHCN and impose a sole administrator in that sector
3. Change the minister of works immediately for lack of performance on the Benin-Ore Road failure to do it himself should quit office for incompetence

Thank you
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by asunaobi(m): 10:07am On Sep 14, 2010
Politics of the primitives, turn by turn, tribe by tribe, religion by religion, rotation by rotation. I guess civilized Ghanaians should really take advantage, and whip Nigerians front and back. Our 'mumu don dey pass' level of acceptability.
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by igboboy1(m): 10:34am On Sep 14, 2010
Dr Cork:

AND THAT REMINDS ME,   JONATAN GOOD LUCK SHOULD QUIT WEARING THAT COWBOY HAT!!!!. sad

,  do they have cowboys in Ibo villages?

Make him since you have a problem with that, internet warrior. See am face to face fear go even let you look am for face sef? abi his security detail no go give you flying heading, eediot
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 10:57am On Sep 14, 2010
IBO people need to tell jonatan to QUIT wearng that Cowboy HAT, His head is too tiny and he jaw is long (no oofeinse)
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by lekanbar(m): 10:59am On Sep 14, 2010
It's been a long time coming, wink

http://lekanbaruwa./
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by Donmeca(m): 12:01pm On Sep 14, 2010
I hate to read this thread. An Igbo COAS so what? B4 now we had two Igbo sons in as service chiefs. If Onovo (with all sabotages against him) failed, did ACM Paul Dike fail? Where the Igbos had 2 distinguished persons, they now have one. Is the office of COAS higher than that of CDS? Couldn't GEJ have kept Dike and while he sacked Onovo over his perceived failure?

I learnt that Ringim was d CP in Bayelsa during the impeachment of DSP and the governorship stint of GEJ. The same Ringim was until his elevation, the AIG incharge of zone 9 Umuahia (South East zone) where kidnapping was highest. I can't tell who really failed-Onovo or Ringim? Too much film trick in d system.
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by Ranoscky(m): 12:27pm On Sep 14, 2010
Hackney or is it Hockey or Turkey, or whatever. . . .

Pls go n take your drugs b'cos i believe without which, U'r ABNORMAL!

I know all your negative eye sore comment on dis thread is due to lack of takin your drugs, so pls do it now ok?

Thanx! wink

It's a pity dat so many people nowadays R abnormal without takin dia drugs! embarassed So sad! cry cry cry
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by furacao(m): 1:36pm On Sep 14, 2010
Biafra is coming back!!!!!!!!
grin
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 1:49pm On Sep 14, 2010
All This IBO people leaves in a fantasy land, U people beter rell JONATAN GOOD LUCk to quit wear that Cowboy HAT!! angry

The HAT make him head look tiny (no oofeinse)
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 1:51pm On Sep 14, 2010
Actualy, I Guess his HAT must be IBO made, They usually make Oversie Hats (no offensie)
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by Beaf: 2:33pm On Sep 14, 2010
Dr Cork:

Actualy, I Guess his HAT must be IBO made, They usually make Oversie Hats ([size=21pt]no offensie[/size])

Dude, you have been doing this fcked up spelling since you joined NL. Is it that you're simply writing with your village accent?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by Ranoscky(m): 2:59pm On Sep 14, 2010
^
Daz just his style. grin
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by komando1: 3:24pm On Sep 14, 2010
Wow! Is that mrcork? The famous mrcork of the romance section? Wow! I read your posts with people like 190, mamagee,omolara e.t.c. Wow! So you decided to come to politics section? How are all your babes? Everybody this is the famous mrcork of the romance section. He is one of their big boys.
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 3:51pm On Sep 14, 2010
errrm excuse me dear, did u realiae that Jonata Good lock's Cowboy IBO made HAT actualy covers he whole tiny head, the

only thing u get to see is his pointed nose (no oofeinse)
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by Chongaiman: 4:18pm On Sep 14, 2010
Will the appointment of an Igbo Army Chief reduce the number of kidnappings in the East ?
Guess that's the responsibility of the police, not the army.

When will a woman be appointed as the army, airforce or naval chief?
Only a regular combatant could hold the position of COAS, CNS or CAS. So far, the terms and conditions of service do not provide for female combatants.

It is time for the East to rule!
If being COAS could be ascribed as such, what would the presidency then be called?

what is the sense in having a coas that is loyal to the president when a large number of his batallion does not regard him
This scenario is more likely to occur in a rebel army not in the Nigerian army.

. . .tell jonatan to QUIT wearng that Cowboy HAT
Anyone conversant with our culture would know that it's part of the Ijaw national dress. You could as well pass the message to all Ijaws.

It is time for us Igbos to have a much larger stake in the military.
I believe it's a national thing not an ethnic thing.

. . .prior to 1966, we Igbos were number 1 in Nigeria. During the Colonial Administration, the British favored us.
I thought the Northern (Fulani) traditional ruling classes were the favoured ones. Maybe the history textbooks I read were forgeries.

. . .The position of Ironsi as GOC of Nigeria armed forces can correctly be equated with the position of CDS; . . .It is an insult to Ironsi, Nidgbo and military parlance to equate the position of COAS to GOC of Nigerian armed forces.
Last time I checked, General Aguiyi-Ironsi was the first indigenous GOC of the NIGERIAN ARMY not Armed Forces. In the present hierarchy of the army, GOCs are subordinates to the COAS and Principal staff officers at the army headquarters. To the best of my knowledge, the first instance of CDS was during Shagari's presidency. The then serving COAS was elevated to a largely ceremonial CDS in other to pave way for a preferable candidate to become to  COAS.

By the way, when Ironsi was the GOC of Nigerian armed forces there were positions of Army Chief of Staff and Naval Chief Staff including IG of police.
I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

. . .the Army has always been in charge of CDS position
Admiral Ogohi had held the same position under OBJ

Granted infantry section of the Armed forces holds the bridgeheads, any branch of the military can initiate a coup d’état.
Na so e easy? grin

Deploying bridgade of gaurds is the routine role of the ADC.
What then is the role of the Guards Brigade commander who is superior to the ADC in rank?

The idea that the Chief of Army Staff weilds more power than the CDS is simply a hangover that has gotten stuck in our heads due to our experience from the military years.
With the situation in reality, that could be considered as false logic. CDS is a largely ceremonial appointment.

I dare say it seems to me that the Nigerian Army has even managed to move on from those dark ages better than the rest of the citizens.
Comments reserved. wink

This is a welcome development.
It sure is.

Our Eastern brother only a fellow Eastern can give him the protection he needs as goes against the North.
I thought GEJ is from the South-South. Am I losing touch with reality? What happened to 'One Nigeria'?

My prayer is that one day, and Igbo man would become the president of this great Nation
Amen. May he not be a typical president though.
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by kingvictor(m): 4:25pm On Sep 14, 2010
good luck to the dude
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 4:29pm On Sep 14, 2010
So IJAW people wear cowboy hats bigger than there hat, like Jeonata Goolock?

Did u realie the HAT always cover his head down to his neck with his nose pointing & holdin the HAT from fallin?
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by msb247(m): 4:34pm On Sep 14, 2010
The problem is the cumbersome  and unworkable Nigeria state and not the appointees.

THANK YOU EZIACHI. MAY GOD BLESS YOU. WELL SAID. U R D KIND OF IGBO PPLE NAIJA NEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by DrCork: 4:53pm On Sep 14, 2010
ALL U okoro people are all the same truss me!!! too much proverbs!!!

This is not 1952,,gademmit!! this is yr 2010!!!
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by JahMan1: 6:58pm On Sep 14, 2010
What are we rejoicing and bickering about?
That a Nigerian was given a post in Nigeria?
We are not talking about a black ruling USA.
It only brings the suppressed tears inside of me.I onced attended a conference where all the non-Igbos in the hall unanimously chorused that an Igbo man cannot rule this country.
My annoyance wasn't so much of the pronounced hatred for the Igbo race,but that they couldn't explain their reasons for the hatred save the fact that we wanted to secede from the country and also that they can always use our brothers to scuttle that dream.
Thanks to President GJ for breaking such a jinx just like he did for the IGP records also.
But will that solve any problem for the region?

We better leave the failed state called Nigeria and start thinking about how to better our lots.
We do not need to go the way of MASSOB,though they are fighting a good cause in a wrong way.

Let the Orji Uzors,Chimaroke Nnamanis and the likes stop ruling and looting us.
Let our roads be built and repaired,let the schools be upgraded,equipped,funded and teachers paid their salaries,let our Aba shoe and garment industries be groomed and encouraged,let Onitsha market get all the available amenities,let us not wait for FGN,but just like Zik used proceeds of agriculture to build UNN,let us get one international airport,a sea port or even a dry one.Let our brothers stop suffering in Alaba,trade fair Complex,Kano and face killings in the North.

Developing Igboland and indeed Nigeria is very simple,but our leaders has chosen not to.
I will write an article on Igbo presidency soon.
Though it will come very soon just like IGP and COAS or through the act of God like President GJ,but the question is, and what about it?
Will it reduce or remove the suffering of that region?

Talk to me please.
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by Chongaiman: 8:17pm On Sep 14, 2010
The problem is the cumbersome  and unworkable Nigeria state and not the appointees.
No, not so fast. It's only a lazy workman that will blame his tools. Those very few achievers we love to celebrate (BRF almost always readily comes to mind), how were they able to succeed where others failed? It's rather the appointees who are to blame. If every appointee would just meditate on the national pledge (meaning vow), and put it to practice, we would not be in the doldrums.
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by Vallo57(m): 12:42am On Sep 15, 2010
furacao:

Biafra is coming back!!!!!!!!
grin

Yessss oooo!!!!, but this time around with certainty of death, small chance of success. What are you all wainting for?
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by kcjazz(m): 4:54am On Sep 15, 2010
In the Interest of ‘Peace and Unity’
Simon Kolawale Live!, 09.11.2010

The appointment of Major-General Azubike Ihejirika as Chief of Army Staff—the first Igbo, since 1966, to occupy arguably Nigeria’s most strategic military position—was always guaranteed to generate extreme reactions. On the one hand, you have people arguing that it was merely a political ploy by President Goodluck Jonathan to woo the Igbo to vote for him in the 2011 presidential election. But would the Igbo vote for Jonathan simply because of Chief of Army Staff? On the other hand, there is an argument that the appointment of an Igbo into the “forbidden” position was long overdue. Since the bitter Civil War (is there any sweet civil war, anyway?) when the Igbo could not actualise their dream of a country of their own, there seems to have been an unwritten code that no Igbo should be allowed to occupy certain positions. Some argue, therefore, that the appointment of Ihejirika is not a favour but commonsense.

I would rather argue this way—if Jonathan’s decision to appoint Ihejirika is political, how would we describe the failure to appoint an Igbo in the last 44 years? That must be political too. As an enthusiast of nation-building, I would prefer a symbolic appointment to no appointment at all. If Nigeria is ever going to achieve strong nationhood where everybody has a sense of belonging, nobody—no matter the ethnic group, religion and sex—should be given the impression that there are certain positions they cannot attain no matter how brilliant or qualified they are. How can an Igbo be in the army, knowing fully well that no matter his record and output, he can never be army chief? Is that how to unite a nation? Even those who fought on the federal side during the war against their own kith-and-kin were not found worthy! You call that coincidence?

I know the argument—the Igbo lost a war and must pay for it. But this is an old, tired argument. In modern times, if you lose a war, you are integrated into government to heal the wounds and forge a new relationship in the interest of nationhood. Rebel leaders in Sudan, Angola, Liberia and many other countries have been integrated into government rather than alienated. Those who think the Igbo must continue to suffer the consequences of the Civil War are living in the Stone Age. You can never achieve “peace and unity” in a multiethnic, politically volatile country like Nigeria by alienating any group, much less a major ethnic group. The minorities were alienated for a long time and we’re still paying the price today. Unity can never be achieved via exclusion.

Nigeria is an interesting country in many ways. Less than nine years after the Civil War, an Igbo, Dr. Alex Ekwueme, was already vice-president. We must have been the envy of the world at the speed with which it was achieved. But then, we could not go the whole hog. There were still people who felt it was too early to fully accept the Igbo back into the fold. For some, it was a feeling of suspicion. They believed if the Igbo had the chance again, they would move for the break-up of Nigeria. For some, it was a feeling of “they need to be punished for all the trouble”. Yet, from my own reading of the situation, the Igbo had accepted their loss and moved on with their lives. There is no other evidence than their presence in every nook and cranny of Nigeria and their willingness to play national, rather than regional, politics.

To be fair, the process of reintegration has been on for a very long time. Ekwueme as VP was a step in that direction. Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, as military president, picked Air Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe as Chief of General Staff, effectively his second-in-command (although a certain Brigadier Sani Abacha famously said then that “the issue of No. 2 has not been settled”—in what was seen as an attempt to undermine Ukiwe for whatever reason). Ukiwe, it must be recalled, fought on the Biafran side during the war. So it was a significant appointment by Babangida, even though Ukiwe obviously did not get the sort of respect he deserved, having lost a rank or two for defecting to the Biafran army.

Babangida promoted Nwachukwu to Major-General in yet another encouraging signal that the Igbo were being “accepted” back in the army, but some still argued that it was because Nwachukwu fought on the Nigerian side during the war (and he is half-Fulani). Nwachukwu, on line to becoming army chief, suddenly found himself posted to Kaduna as GOC 1st Division—an elite posting, really, but not in the category of service chief. The wait continued. Gen. Abacha broke another aspect of the jinx by appointing Rear Admiral Alison Madueke Chief of Naval Staff in 1993, the first post-war service chief from the East. But somehow, the army was still a no-go area. By some curious coincidence, Igbo officers never attained a position to be made army chief, even when we know that recruitments are done on quota basis and promotions are influenced by the federal character principle. How didn’t an Igbo officer manage to scale the hurdle and break the ceiling? (Ironically, only one Yoruba has been army chief: Lt. Gen. Alani Akinrinade, who was there for just six months!)

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo appointed an Igbo, Uche Okeke, as DG of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA)—the first of its kind in that institution. Obasanjo also appointed Thomas Aguiyi-Ironsi as Minister of Defence—a first as well. But Obasanjo could not summon the courage to appoint an Igbo as Chief of Army Staff throughout his eight years in office. Therefore, Jonathan’s decision to appoint Ihejirika, I wish to argue, is more significant than we are ready to accept. It is very easy to dismiss it with a wave of the hand. Let’s even say Jonathan is playing politics—I love the sort of politics that will break prejudices and biases and jinxes.

And this is where I am going today: historically, this appointment is a landmark. It is capable of producing other landmarks. That is what excites me! Nigeria is changing gradually, but we don’t seem to notice. What used to be abominations are now being jettisoned as we stumble and wobble in our journey to nationhood. Yes, we’re 50 years old and still crawling. Yes, the progress is too slow and depressing. But any progress at all is progress. When we look back in the future—devoid of prejudice and bitterness—we would realise that we are more integrated than we used to be. Things are changing. Twenty years ago, if you had told me a Southerner would rule Nigeria for eight unbroken years, I would have laughed. It appeared impossible. There was this myth about a “Kaduna Mafia” then, a group of people said to be determining everything that would happen in Nigeria. That is why we must put latter-day developments into context.

Twenty years ago, if anyone had told me mosques would be built in government houses in Cross River and Abia, I would have laughed derisively. If anyone had told me a Christian would be civilian governor of Kaduna, I would have ridiculed that idea. I could never have thought an Igbo would be commissioner in Lagos State. I could never have imagined that a Southern minority—an Ijaw—would be president of Nigeria, even if by (good) luck. I could never have imagined that a time would come in this country when some Northern elders would be agitating for “power shift” as Babangida, Atiku Abubakar and Adamu Ciroma are doing today. It’s incredible. This same Nigeria? Who would have thought of this scenario some 20 years ago? It’s as if I’m watching a movie. It shows how limited we are as human beings and how it is only God that knows everything.

I’m not satisfied yet. I am praying for more—a Fulani deputy governor in Plateau, a Berom SSG in Sokoto, a Fulani commissioner in Oyo, an Igbo commissioner in Kano, a Muslim deputy governor in Enugu, an Oron governor in Akwa Ibom, and a female President of Nigeria! Don’t make fun of me—if an Igbo can be Chief of Army Staff, what other taboo cannot be broken in Nigeria? We are on a journey of “no reverse, no return”, even though we don’t seem to realise it yet. It’s a wind of change we cannot stop. I can see the signs. There is nothing we can do about it. When you re-read this article in another 20 years’ time, you would certainly accuse me of being a prophet

A bit long but the essence of this article is in the last paragraph, Thanks Simon
Re: 44 Years After Ironsi, Igbo Named Army Chief by chyz(m): 5:01am On Sep 15, 2010
Vallo57:

Yessss oooo!!!!, but this time around with certainty of death, small chance of success. What are you all wainting for?

May all of nigeria including each region suffer the same amount of loss according to its land and tribal size if that is the case.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ethnic Tension: Nigerian Army Telephone Numbers / NTA2 At Victoria Island Has Been Occupied? - Forced To Show Live Protests? / Most Populated Cities In Nigeria 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.