Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,075 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn (19776 Views)

An Insight On The Gbagyi People: Real Owners Of Abuja / Which Language Is The Most Difficult? Igbo, Yoruba Or Hausa? / Why Do We(igbos) Love Speaking English Language To Our Fellow Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by overlord77: 11:04am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:
Hello!

For background, I was born to a Igbo father and a black American mother. I grew up in the U.S., and because my father didn't teach me anything about Nigeria, for the first part of my life I didn't even know I belonged to another culture. As I got a bit older I would question him about things pertaining to Nigeria; his response was "that's not important" or "don't ask such questions, focus on your book instead". At some point I asked him if he spoke another language. He confirmed that he did, but when I asked him to teach me he told me "no one speaks it, instead we just use English" and I accepted that answer.

I had a revelation one day in middle school when eating lunch with one of my friends. Like me she was born in the U.S., but had Chinese parents. We had gone to school together for nearly 10 years, so I was shocked when one day she picked up a phone call from her grandmother and spoke to her in fluent Chinese. When I questioned her on how she learned, she told me that her parents had been teaching her. That way, if she ever goes to China she won't struggle to communicate with her people, and if she chooses not to go she'll at least be able to talk with her grandparents that don't know English.

This impassioned me and that evening when my father came home from work I begged him to teach me Igbo, even though "no one speaks it". He agreed and taught me simple phrases like "kedu", "afa m bu", and "o di mma". The thing is, which it was nice to know these things I could not actually use them to communicate. I didn't understand Igbo grammar and my vocabulary was limited to basic greetings. When I began asking him the name of household items and chores he became angry with me. He told me I was focusing on Igbo and not my books (even though my grades were great), and that he'll punish me if I keep asking so I stopped.

Getting more so to the point, I'm now a graduate student in my early 20's. While I have tried my best to study Igbo, I have met many frustrations that have led me to investigate Hausa and Yoruba. At this point, it simply pains me that when I meet people from my country, I have no means of communicating with people from my country besides English. I plan on moving to Nigeria in the not-so-distant future, and when I go I want to be fluent is something.

Between the three major languages, the arguments I have for each are:

Igbo
As an Igbo person, it makes sense for me to prioritize my language. I don't want to just sit there confused and lost during family gatherings, I also want to be able to speak to my grandparents who don't understand English well. That's really the only positives of Igbo though, even excluding the past experiences mention above, I've over all become disheartened by the idea of learning the language for a variety of reasons.

Yoruba
One thing I like about Yoruba language is that Yoruba people seem to have put a lot of effort into developing it and teaching it. Most Nigerians I've met in the U.S. that speak a Nigerian language speak Yoruba, despite the fact that I've met mostly Igbo people. In addition, of Nigerians I've met also born in the U.S., only the Yoruba's are able to speak their language. Despite that, my family roots are in the South East. I may be able to speak with more Nigerians by learning Yoruba, but I'll still be disconnected from my family. Yoruba people might seem to have less of a "complex" when it comes to their language than Igbo people, but I have observed it's still there.

Hausa
I've only ever met one Hausa family in the U.S., but from what I've observed in Nigeria they seem to practice their language the most. In addition, it seems like Hausa is a lingua franca for most of the country, and many non-Hausas are fluent in the language. Hausa is one of the few sources I can find unadulterated practice of the language. It's also West Africa's most spoken indigenous languages. It still has the same problems a Yoruba though when it comes to connecting with my family. I also don't know how realistic it is to expect to live in the Northern Part of Nigeria as I have limited experience there.

Like I said, I want to move to Nigeria at some point and that's where I want to raise a family and start a career. When I have children I don't want them to grow up like me. I want them to be connected to their people and be able to communicate with them on a level no other group in the world can. I can tell my children to love and embrace African culture and languages when I know none myself.

I decided to come here for insight from other Nigerians as I have no one to talk to about this in real life. Given everything I've said what do you think I should do? At the end of the day I just want a sense connectivity and belonging among my people. I want to put my efforts into learning a language its speakers wholly embrace so I can pass it on to my children.

Also, I don't intend for this to be tribalistic at all. I would also appreciate if responses avoided tribalistic sentiments.

You can actually learn as many languages as you deem fit. Personally, I speak fluent yoruba, Igbo, Ibo and making plans to learn Hausa, German and Spanish .
It's a good thing trying to identify with your people. I wish you well in your endeavours

2 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Mariangeles(f): 11:08am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:

I know Nigerian Pidgin fairly well actually.

I do plan on learning all of them someday. I don't want to just scratch the surface with them though; I want to learn them deeply and fluently. It is difficult to balance that with also working on my doctorate. I will take what you said into account thought, that may be a good approach!

See I really do want to, but it feels as though it has so many more obstacles than the other languages. Learning in the U.S. I have to use books and dictionaries that use Izugbe. Because Izugbe isn't a real dialect I've learned Igbo that no one actually uses to speak. The first time I went to Nigeria and tried talking with my aunts and uncles, none of them understood what I was trying to say becuase Izugbe is so different compared to their dialect. There's also olilo uduame which makes it incredible difficult for me to understand what people are saying. On top of that, Igbo people seem really reluctant to help or even speak the language (at least abroad). I grew up outside of Ala Igbo, but I did belong to a small Igbo community with around 30 adults. I asked all of them and only one was actually willing to help me after my father refused to teach me, the rest just dismissed me. In addition, all the Igbo people in my generation I've met at colleges can't speak Igbo. Even many of my cousins don't speak the language despite being born and raised in Ala Igbo. My experience is limited, so I ask is the language really thiving and worth learning like the other two?
Watching Igbo movies might help you learn faster.

It's such a beautiful language .

1 Like

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Nobody: 11:11am On Apr 08, 2019
op,l can teach you

1 Like

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by MissRaine69(f): 11:12am On Apr 08, 2019
Learn how to speak Pidgin that way you can communicate with almost all Nigerians regardless of tribe. There is no harm in learning Igbo but that does limit your interactions from a communication perspective. I am happy that you are learning, I learnt how to speak my father’s tongue independently yes everyone spoke English but it’s viewed as crass addressing your elders in English.
So all the best

1 Like

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Mariangeles(f): 11:12am On Apr 08, 2019
Opiletool:

As for that question, Yes they do in Lagos where I reside. However, there was a thread created by a guy who was frustrated at the fact that igbo people don't speak the language like yoruba speak theirs. He pointed out several instances. You will find the thread here, it was created not quite long (I think this year).

Also, during my NYSC, I nearly had a scuffle with one of my Corps member over this issue of language. I served in a yoruba state, she was posted to the same school that I was serving. She and some other corps often complain that we Yorubas speak our language too often, and that it isn't the case in the east. I got angry not because she was totally wrong, but because she saw it as a bad thing, and bragged that igbo people speak English more than they do their language. Then I wondered why she should bragged of such? I thought she was being mischievous because when in the midst of Igbo people, they often speak in their mother tongue, until I came across the thread, and realised that she wasn't entirely lying. Albeit the way she bragged about it got me pissed of. It's a shameful thing. Some Yorubas are also like that, preventing their kids from speaking the language, my sister is guilty of this. I have preached the beauty of being bi or multilingual to her, all to no avail. Her kids can hardly say two words in yoruba, which shouldn't be. But I'm sure they will learn when they grow up.
You are correct.
Yoruba people speak more of their language than we Igbos .
I think that should change.

6 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by SmallSimba: 11:12am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:

The bolded are good points. I guess I shouldn't let my frustrations get to me. I just get tired becuase it's not as if I want someone to sit down and give me lessons every day. Just speak to me in it, point out some objects a few times a day and tell me their meaning, anything. When I was putting effort into Yoruba, I always had friends willing to teach me and speak to me in the language. Maybe I will have to look online and find a tutor somewhere.

In your personal experience, do Igbo people in Nigeria often speak their language the way Yoruba people do?

I would like insight onto how you came to this conclusion. I think it will help me.

I feel you. Even though I'm not Nigerian (I'm Kenyan), you're facing the effect of colonialism and White Supremacy mentality that has engulfed the Africa continent. I would advise you that you get some details about your dialect. Once you know what it is, try setting a website and ask guys here to help you.

The problem with many Africa people is that we never take languages seriously like white people do. Even our own languages have benefited tremendously because of white folks. For this reason, do not expect to get consistent help from people, but you'll certainly get one or two people who will be willing to teach you the translations of a number of words and basic grammar. Unlike English, many African languages have got two major challenges:

1. Noun classes
2. Tone

I'm not sure about Igbo noun classes and tone, but I'll give you an example in bantu languages so that you can see the impact of tone.

1. Kuuma - To bite
2. Kuma - Vagina (impolite)

Another one is "Ndakhuyaanza" (Which can mean I love you, i loved you, or I will love you) depending on the tone of the speaker.

I would also advise you, after getting a general guidance on how your dialect differs from "Standard Igbo", you can get yourself an Igbo Bible and start reading it. You can read it as you listen to the audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMfHvMcmNVc

All in all, teaching yourself a language that doesn't have teachers nearby will require a lot of trial and error approaches.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by sandra50(f): 11:13am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:

The bolded are good points. I guess I shouldn't let my frustrations get to me. I just get tired becuase it's not as if I want someone to sit down and give me lessons every day. Just speak to me in it, point out some objects a few times a day and tell me their meaning, anything. When I was putting effort into Yoruba, I always had friends willing to teach me and speak to me in the language. Maybe I will have to look online and find a tutor somewhere.

In your personal experience, do Igbo people in Nigeria often speak their language the way Yoruba people do?

I would like insight onto how you came to this iconclusion. I think it will help me.
My dear if you want to take the stress I think it's best you learn Igbo which is your culture..you can use to igbo..the spelling and the pronunciation.. Godforbid that I will have my kids and they wouldn't know how to speak my language.

1 Like

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by MicroBox: 11:15am On Apr 08, 2019
Olu20090:

Smells like an Afonja unity beggar aka One Nigerian deceiving you. Biafrans, how could you people not sense this? My people why, SMH! I have known these people all my life, so I know when I read their post. This is a certified afonja! No sensible Igbo man believes in this country. I said none if they are honest with themselves and Chukwu Okike Abiama (God of Abraham)
You're very smart..
Americans don't compose English like that. Its African pattern. Sensed it from the writeup and I know something is fishy.

5 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 08, 2019
Learn the Igbo language or fulfulde.

I can assure you that your dad will disown you if you decide to learn the Yoruba language.
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by izombie(m): 11:18am On Apr 08, 2019
Op, "achoro m", i want and "achoro m", i don't want. Have the same spelling but the only difference is the pronunciation.
Coming back to your post, as an igbo guy who lives outside nigeria i totally understand what you mean. I have visited nigeria 3 times in the past one year and i get frustrated when i see alot of children and teenagers that can't speak igbo properly. For example, my sister and her husband also live in the same country with me and whenever they speak to their kids they use igbo language instead of english, now their three kids speak and understand igbo very well. Now, my elder brother and one of my elder sisters that live in nigeria use english to communicate with their own kids and the kids can't even make a sentence in igbo. It's very frustrating. I have met alot of igbo girls in universities that can't speak because their parents raised them with english.
My advice to you is, learn igbo first and then pidgin english. You are igbo.

7 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by SmallSimba: 11:22am On Apr 08, 2019
Pavore9:
"At some point I asked him if he spoke another language. He confirmed that he did, but when I asked him to teach me he told me "no one speaks it, instead we just use English" and I accepted that answer".... .Fathers are not transmitters of language but mothers.

This is a big Lie. I did not grow up speaking my language. But after i married and got a child, i learnt my language and my two year old speaks to me exclusively in my tongue.

3 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Donbasi(m): 11:22am On Apr 08, 2019
I am Igbo i base in one of the coutries in Europe, i dont mind teaching u igbo language just connect me via Instagram we can take it up from there @donbasi

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by ruffhandu: 11:22am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:

My family speaks Onitsha Dialect. I know it's not a different as something like the dialect spoken in Ebonyi, but it's difficult to figure out what someone is saying as a learner. For example, it took me a while to figure out "achoro m" means "I want" in Onitsha when it means "I don't want" in Izugbe.

@Opiletool and @bigfrancis21
This is honestly where my concern and apprehension with focusing on the language (at least now) comes from; it's future seems very bleak. Will the language still have a significant presence in the future? I can devote all my time and attention into learning the language, but who will I speak it with once the people in my parent's generation are gone? I've never met an Igbo person around my age who uses the language regularly even if they know how to speak it.

My worry is that I'll spend all my time mastering Igbo, then when I teach it to my kids it won't matter because they will live in an environment that doesn't reinforce its value. Can I be sure they'll master the language or even speak it out of the home? Can I be sure that they'll teach it to their own children or their children's children? Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead, but I'm just one Igbo person of several million. Even if 1/4th of us value the language and put effort into preserving it, that can't counterbalance the 3/4th that don't. Then I'll end up struggling to learn another language while also teaching my children that language.

Many African Americans would love to know what cultures their ancestors belonged to. There are millions of black people on the planet that had their language stripped from them, so it's sad seeing so many that still have theirs throwing them away.

Also, thank you for the bolded. It really means a lot to me smiley

It's not just Nigerian, but unfortunately African seem to be among the worst offenders. One thing I will say that is unique to Nigerians is not speaking your language in the presence of those that understand it. I'm in a club for African students at my university. We have around 30 students with about half of them being Igbo. I've been in this club 4 years and have not heard a single word of Igbo at any gathering. Meanwhile I've heard plenty Twi, Ga, and Swahili despite groups speaking these languages being a minority.

I'd like to thank everyone for the Igbo resources and advice. I'll look into them!

'A choro m' (I want) is spoken the same way both in Onitsha and Igbo Izugbe, it's only Igbo izugbe that may say 'A choghi m', while onitsha may say "A choro m' to mean I don't want. But note that the sound of both 'A choro m' (I want) and "A chorom' (I don't want) are not the same as both 'o' are pronounced differently and that's what makes the difference. Egbe (kite), Egbe(gun) and Akwa(egg), Akwa(bed), Akwa(cry), Akwa(clothe). Knowing these is the meaning of learning a language.

I plan sending my kids when still under 4 years to live with their grandmother in the village for at least two years, or make them go spend every holiday. I don't want them to just learn the language, but my dialect. I pray to be an exception to this generation of parents who are not proud of their language, my parents did a VERY GOOD JOB.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Iykelinus(m): 11:24am On Apr 08, 2019
I'm glad you showed interest in Nigerian languages.
Nevertheless, any language you speak is alright
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by seangy4konji: 11:24am On Apr 08, 2019
Ns broken sure pass.

Street language.
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:
Hello!

For background, I was born to a Igbo father and a black American mother. I grew up in the U.S., and because my father didn't teach me anything about Nigeria, for the first part of my life I didn't even know I belonged to another culture. As I got a bit older I would question him about things pertaining to Nigeria; his response was "that's not important" or "don't ask such questions, focus on your book instead". At some point I asked him if he spoke another language. He confirmed that he did, but when I asked him to teach me he told me "no one speaks it, instead we just use English" and I accepted that answer.

I had a revelation one day in middle school when eating lunch with one of my friends. Like me she was born in the U.S., but had Chinese parents. We had gone to school together for nearly 10 years, so I was shocked when one day she picked up a phone call from her grandmother and spoke to her in fluent Chinese. When I questioned her on how she learned, she told me that her parents had been teaching her. That way, if she ever goes to China she won't struggle to communicate with her people, and if she chooses not to go she'll at least be able to talk with her grandparents that don't know English.

This impassioned me and that evening when my father came home from work I begged him to teach me Igbo, even though "no one speaks it". He agreed and taught me simple phrases like "kedu", "afa m bu", and "o di mma". The thing is, which it was nice to know these things I could not actually use them to communicate. I didn't understand Igbo grammar and my vocabulary was limited to basic greetings. When I began asking him the name of household items and chores he became angry with me. He told me I was focusing on Igbo and not my books (even though my grades were great), and that he'll punish me if I keep asking so I stopped.

Getting more so to the point, I'm now a graduate student in my early 20's. While I have tried my best to study Igbo, I have met many frustrations that have led me to investigate Hausa and Yoruba. At this point, it simply pains me that when I meet people from my country, I have no means of communicating with people from my country besides English. I plan on moving to Nigeria in the not-so-distant future, and when I go I want to be fluent is something.

Igbo
As an Igbo person, it makes sense for me to prioritize my language. I don't want to just sit there confused and lost during family gatherings, I also want to be able to speak to my grandparents who don't understand English well. That's really the only positives of Igbo though, even excluding the past experiences mention above, I've over all become disheartened by the idea of learning the language for a variety of reasons.

Yoruba
One thing I like about Yoruba language is that Yoruba people seem to have put a lot of effort into developing it and teaching it. Most Nigerians I've met in the U.S. that speak a Nigerian language speak Yoruba, despite the fact that I've met mostly Igbo people. In addition, of Nigerians I've met also born in the U.S., only the Yoruba's are able to speak their language. Despite that, my family roots are in the South East. I may be able to speak with more Nigerians by learning Yoruba, but I'll still be disconnected from my family. Yoruba people might seem to have less of a "complex" when it comes to their language than Igbo people, but I have observed it's still there.

Hausa
I've only ever met one Hausa family in the U.S., but from what I've observed in Nigeria they seem to practice their language the most. In addition, it seems like Hausa is a lingua franca for most of the country, and many non-Hausas are fluent in the language. Hausa is one of the few sources I can find unadulterated practice of the language. It's also West Africa's most spoken indigenous languages. It still has the same problems a Yoruba though when it comes to connecting with my family. I also don't know how realistic it is to expect to live in the Northern Part of Nigeria as I have limited experience there.

Like I said, I want to move to Nigeria at some point and that's where I want to raise a family and start a career. When I have children I don't want them to grow up like me. I want them to be connected to their people and be able to communicate with them on a level no other group in the world can. I can tell my children to love and embrace African culture and languages when I know none myself.

I decided to come here for insight from other Nigerians as I have no one to talk to about this in real life. Given everything I've said what do you think I should do? At the end of the day I just want a sense connectivity and belonging among my people. I want to put my efforts into learning a language its speakers wholly embrace so I can pass it on to my children.

Also, I don't intend for this to be tribalistic at all. I would also appreciate if responses avoided tribalistic sentiments.

If you no learn Yoruba wetin you gain?
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Okuda(m): 11:27am On Apr 08, 2019
Ayotemide:

If you read that article, comprehension shouldn't be this far from you.

like i said in my earlier post you quoted. he must be a badly trained child. Igbo language should be his first point of call no matter the frustration. every other person in nigeria speaks english. he would get by anyday and anytime of he finds himself in nigeria by any means. however, if he really wants to tap to his roots, he should stick to his mother language , not minding his frustrations.

3 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Okuda(m): 11:27am On Apr 08, 2019
ThothHermes:
If you had bothered to read the thread, you would not have said this rubbish

like i said in my earlier post you quoted. he must be a badly trained child. Igbo language should be his first point of call no matter the frustration. every other person in nigeria speaks english. he would get by anyday and anytime of he finds himself in nigeria by any means. however, if he really wants to tap to his roots, he should stick to his mother language , not minding his frustrations

1 Like

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Okuda(m): 11:28am On Apr 08, 2019
he people telling him to learn pidgin english are all mad.

1 Like

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Sterope(f): 11:28am On Apr 08, 2019
He is willing to go through the trouble.
Opiletool:

I really do understand your plight, but I'll advise ou go for that which your heart really desires, which I can deduce is igbo, and which I still insist you learn considering the fact that it's your parent's tongue.

See, I am yoruba, and if I'd been in your shoes, I'll go for my language, not for my sake, but for my unborn kids'. You will not give birth and start teaching them a language that is not of their people will you?

You can break the odds, come and enroll for Igbo class over here in Nigeria. People will hardly want to teach you because it takes lots of effort and time. And considering the fact that money is not involved (joking). We have whites studying our indigenous languages over here. I knew of two back then in yoruba linguistics department of my school(university), so, if white people could go through all the troubles, why can't you?
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Sterope(f): 11:30am On Apr 08, 2019
@OP, it is best you learn your father's tongue. Your frustration is understandable but I think you will feel better when you can speak the language of your root.

3 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by dondaddycares(m): 11:32am On Apr 08, 2019
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by SmallSimba: 11:32am On Apr 08, 2019
ruffhandu:

'A choro m' (I want) is spoken the same way both in Onitsha and Igbo Izugbe, it's only Igbo izugbe that may say 'A choghi m', while onitsha may say "A choro m' to mean I don't want. But note that the sound of both 'A choro m' (I want) and "A chorom' (I don't want) are not the same as both 'o' are pronounced differently and that's what makes the difference. Egbe (kite), Egbe(gun) and Akwa(egg), Akwa(bed), Akwa(cry), Akwa(clothe). Knowing these is the meaning of learning a language.

I plan sending my kids when still under 4 years to live with their grandmother in the village for at least two years, or make them go spend every holiday. I don't want them to just learn the language, but my dialect. I pray to be an exception to this generation of parents who are not proud of their language, my parents did a VERY GOOD JOB.

Why don't you teach the children your dialect? Or Grandma is just to top up
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by dondaddycares(m): 11:34am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:
Hello!

Igbo

Yoruba

Hausa

Unity beggars don come again...open account on 3rd April, already making posts on 8th April. What do you guys gain in fanning the flames of online ethnic hatred and bashing? Why not come out with your real identity rather than claiming Igbo which you ain't, give your location as Ogbomosho rather than claiming U.S, and provoke genuine discussion on the 3 major languages as a way of appreciating diverse cultural discussion rather than trying to pit one people against the other.

3 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Danwakae(m): 11:36am On Apr 08, 2019
LEARN PIDGIN

I AM AN HAUSA MAN, I UNDERSTAND HAUSA AND PIDGIN AS A BARRACK BOY, AS SUCH

IF I AM IN THE SS, SE, SW, KOGI, BENUE, KWARA I SPEAK PIDGIN AND MAJORITY UNDERSTAND

BUT IF I'M IN THE REMAINING PART SPEAK HUASA AND WE ALL FLOW LIKE WATER WAVE
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by iberrylee(m): 11:36am On Apr 08, 2019
My brother Anthony Olaseni Joshua speaks his mother tongue (yoruba) very well, I love that language cus it's sweet and sound romantic to the Ears tongue I can speak Yoruba in China Russia and North Korea if I like, if I enter Benin republic today na Yoruba I go dey blast dey go even Cuba or some part of brazil

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by ejimatic: 11:39am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:
Hello!

Igbo

Yoruba

Hausa

. Any Nigerian who cannot speak his mother tonque has lost his cultural identity.Please learn your mother tonque.

3 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Apination(m): 11:39am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:
Hello!

Igbo

Yoruba

Hausa

Please, I beg you in the name of whatever you serve don't relocate to Nigeria or even visit if possible, your father in his wisdom has decided to keep you away from what he considers to be in the past for reasons best known to him. Do not return, you can learn from those with you there or look for online language tutors in the said languages but please do not come to Nigeria undecided
Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by iberrylee(m): 11:42am On Apr 08, 2019
dondaddycares:

Unity beggars don come again...open account on 3rd April, already making posts on 8th April. What do you guys gain in fanning the flames of online ethnic hatred and bashing? Why not come out with your real identity rather than claiming Igbo which you ain't, give your location as Ogbomosho rather than claiming U.S, and provoke genuine discussion on the 3 major languages as a way of appreciating diverse cultural discussion rather than trying to pit one people against the other.
Inferiority complex kee you there, did you bother to read the post? If they ask you to stay in school you will decline, na gala u go prefer to dey hawk for traffic after filling your brain with strong akpu

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by updatechange(m): 11:42am On Apr 08, 2019
DearOp, Really nice topic you've raised here. As a Nigerian you must learn your mother tongue, I'm from the SW but loved the igbo accent that I have an Igbo wife just to get closer to them and also feel the raw igbo blood/culture because my children will be multi lingual in Nigeria and also dual citizens in the eventual breakup of Nigeria undecided
I love the igbo hi-life music cos it reminds me of the igbo hustling spirit especially when you goto markets like alaba, oshodi, ladipo etc..
Don't worry about the feature, use everything available at your disposal to achieve it and remember to set a time frame so as to trigger your will-do power.

uchefefe:

My family speaks Onitsha Dialect. I know it's not a different as something like the dialect spoken in Ebonyi, but it's difficult to figure out what someone is saying as a learner. For example, it took me a while to figure out "achoro m" means "I want" in Onitsha when it means "I don't want" in Izugbe.

@Opiletool and @bigfrancis21
This is honestly where my concern and apprehension with focusing on the language (at least now) comes from; it's future seems very bleak. Will the language still have a significant presence in the future? I can devote all my time and attention into learning the language, but who will I speak it with once the people in my parent's generation are gone? I've never met an Igbo person around my age who uses the language regularly even if they know how to speak it.

My worry is that I'll spend all my time mastering Igbo, then when I teach it to my kids it won't matter because they will live in an environment that doesn't reinforce its value. Can I be sure they'll master the language or even speak it out of the home? Can I be sure that they'll teach it to their own children or their children's children? Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead, but I'm just one Igbo person of several million. Even if 1/4th of us value the language and put effort into preserving it, that can't counterbalance the 3/4th that don't. Then I'll end up struggling to learn another language while also teaching my children that language.

Many African Americans would love to know what cultures their ancestors belonged to. There are millions of black people on the planet that had their language stripped from them, so it's sad seeing so many that still have theirs throwing them away.

Also, thank you for the bolded. It really means a lot to me smiley

It's not just Nigerian, but unfortunately African seem to be among the worst offenders. One thing I will say that is unique to Nigerians is not speaking your language in the presence of those that understand it. I'm in a club for African students at my university. We have around 30 students with about half of them being Igbo. I've been in this club 4 years and have not heard a single word of Igbo at any gathering. Meanwhile I've heard plenty Twi, Ga, and Swahili despite groups speaking these languages being a minority.

I'd like to thank everyone for the Igbo resources and advice. I'll look into them!

4 Likes

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by bravesoul247(m): 11:42am On Apr 08, 2019
uchefefe:

I know Nigerian Pidgin fairly well actually.

I do plan on learning all of them someday. I don't want to just scratch the surface with them though; I want to learn them deeply and fluently. It is difficult to balance that with also working on my doctorate. I will take what you said into account thought, that may be a good approach!

See I really do want to, but it feels as though it has so many more obstacles than the other languages. Learning in the U.S. I have to use books and dictionaries that use Izugbe. Because Izugbe isn't a real dialect I've learned Igbo that no one actually uses to speak. The first time I went to Nigeria and tried talking with my aunts and uncles, none of them understood what I was trying to say becuase Izugbe is so different compared to their dialect. There's also olilo uduame which makes it incredible difficult for me to understand what people are saying. On top of that, Igbo people seem really reluctant to help or even speak the language (at least abroad). I grew up outside of Ala Igbo, but I did belong to a small Igbo community with around 30 adults. I asked all of them and only one was actually willing to help me after my father refused to teach me, the rest just dismissed me. In addition, all the Igbo people in my generation I've met at colleges can't speak Igbo. Even many of my cousins don't speak the language despite being born and raised in Ala Igbo. My experience is limited, so I ask is the language really thiving and worth learning like the other two?
believe me, I Iove your enthusiasm and this thing is becoming too common amongst the Igbo people, they tend not to teach or speak the language outside Nigeria. I think you should learn the Igbo language. When you visit Nigeria, just enroll in a class or better still, employ me to teach you. wink

1 Like

Re: As A Nigerian-american, I Would Like Insight On Which Language To Learn by Jyde89: 11:43am On Apr 08, 2019
Opiletool:

As for that question, Yes they do in Lagos where I reside. However, there was a thread created by a guy who was frustrated at the fact that igbo people don't speak the language like yoruba speak theirs. He pointed out several instances. You will find the thread here, it was created not quite long (I think this year).

Also, during my NYSC, I nearly had a scuffle with one of my Corps member over this issue of language. I served in a yoruba state, she was posted to the same school that I was serving. She and some other corps often complain that we Yorubas speak our language too often, and that it isn't the case in the east. I got angry not because she was totally wrong, but because she saw it as a bad thing, and bragged that igbo people speak English more than they do their language. Then I wondered why she should bragged of such? I thought she was being mischievous because when in the midst of Igbo people, they often speak in their mother tongue, until I came across the thread, and realised that she wasn't entirely lying. Albeit the way she bragged about it got me pissed of. It's a shameful thing. Some Yorubas are also like that, preventing their kids from speaking the language, my sister is guilty of this. I have preached the beauty of being bi or multilingual to her, all to no avail. Her kids can hardly say two words in yoruba, which shouldn't be. But I'm sure they will learn when they grow up.

My elder sis did the same thing with her children until they came for a 1months holiday in our house, the only thing we did was converse with them in Yoruba even when they spoke English and that alone ensured they went back home being able to speak Yoruba to a certain degree, now they are experts in Yoruba and they didn't lose the ability to speak English. It's like an unwritten taboo in my family for our children not to be able to converse in our dialect.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy / Thunder Bolt (Magun): Myth Or Reality? / East African Hairstyles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 175
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.