Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:58 AM

Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People (21206 Views)

Air Peace Promotes Saheed Amodu As Boeing 737 Captain / U.S F-16 Fighter Jet Crashes Into Yellow Sea During Training (Photos) / Swedish Fighter Jet Crashes After Colliding With Birds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Guyman02: 10:13am On Apr 05, 2019
Sunymoore:
@CNNAfrica was busy blaming Ethiopia airline and Africa for the crash. Fake news station

CNN, Americans watch only at train stations, airports because it's just there in your front.
They are the world number one fake news channel grin
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Debaks1: 10:41am On Apr 05, 2019
mexzony:
This is what happens when you try to have software to correct a hardware/design fault. mCas should not have to come in beacause the airplane has a tendency to tilt upwards due to the large engines. It should be so redundant that it comes up in critical situations which are of course critical and not as a result of inherent design fault.
Soft and hardware together make the efficiency of a machine....the large engines are to make the planes travel at those ridiculous speed they move at with respect to their size and mass.... So it can not be termed as a design flaw bcoz that is the stage our tech is at presently.... The issue is to train pilots on how to react when those trusted software malfunction largely to a bad part most likely....and to reduce the over reliance of pilots on auto assisted flights...
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Debaks1: 10:49am On Apr 05, 2019
mexzony:

Yeah you have a point there.but let me summarize what am trying to say. "remove mCAS from the plane and does the plane have an issue with tilting up? Yes it does so for me not good enough.
Now other Boeing plane models that don't have mCAS do they have this issue of Bose tilting up? No.
Now can you see where I am coming from.?
Boeing had better make sure they implement the right solution cos this plane self even with the upgrade Na still one eye I go take dey look am.
Lol.... I get you..
You knw....technology moves by learning from mistake...
This flaw just happened to cost 157 lives...but they will definitely learn from it....
Me I think they should invest more in passenger safety measures in case of extreme situations such as this...
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by savio93(m): 10:54am On Apr 05, 2019
dingbang:
I wonder why one will operate an aircraft that he or she wasnt properly trained to handle.

Are you serious about this your question?

Its obvious you didnt follow the news.

Kindly go and study bro before typing

1 Like

Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by savio93(m): 10:55am On Apr 05, 2019
Debaks1:

Lol.... I get you..
You knw....technology moves by learning from mistake...
This flaw just happened to cost 157 lives...but they will definitely learn from it....
Me I think they should invest more in passenger safety measures in case of extreme situations such as this...

not just 157 live bro.. don't forget to add those lost in Lion air.

and the ripple effect it has on the loved ones of the dead
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Sunymoore(m): 10:56am On Apr 05, 2019
Tobechuckwu:

CNNAfrica is just trying to defend d company, but they ought to have ask this question of worldwide grounding of the air flight.

They were just propagating fake news bro. They knew everything. They are just trying to shift blames..
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Win051087(m): 10:56am On Apr 05, 2019
Even if they pay each family 1 million dollars, it not wort the cost of 1 plane..
ThothHermes:
Chicken change. Boeing will pay it without breaking a sweat.
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by BarrElChapo(m): 10:57am On Apr 05, 2019
Airbus say what ?? angry
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Neoteny(m): 10:58am On Apr 05, 2019
MobilityExpress:

Softwares don't just react, and it's not a sensor problem. It is a software (programming) problem. That's why they are not replacing sensors, rather they are updating the software. Which means their programmers erred and Boeing just killed nearly 400 people, let that sink in.

You're wrong

Software (not softwares) are designed to react to situations, especially the MCAS which is designed to correct the plane's attitude or flight characteristics especially in stall conditions or uncommanded pitchup during thrust. That's all MCAS was designed to do: REACT.

In the case of the two crashes MCAS reacted to false sensor data, meaning the readings were offscale, and MCAS reacted to the false data by pitching down using the horizontal stabilizer trim controls to avoid what it falsely thought was a stall condition.

Now where the software erred was in turning itself back on several times after the pilots switched it off, and refused to allow manual control to the pilots.

Before the preliminary report i said this was what happened given the Lion Air crash and the report proves me right.

I'm something of an authority on airplanes and flight dynamics so i know what I'm talking about.

2 Likes

Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Mekuze2(m): 11:03am On Apr 05, 2019
NigeriaDecides:
CNN? I CAN'T REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I TUNED TO THEIR PROGRAM, THEY'RE BUNCH OF HATERS... ALJAZEERA FOR ME ANYTIME ANYDAY

aljazeera is Arab based
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by themanderon: 11:14am On Apr 05, 2019
Playing Russian roulette with peoples lives.
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Josh44s(m): 11:16am On Apr 05, 2019
TWOWAYMIRROR:
What if the update still has error, to test it, the jet will still fly, who will fly it for testing?

Me

Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by baby124: 11:27am On Apr 05, 2019
Very good. Kudos to Ethiopian airlines for releasing their own report and pointing squarely where the blame should lie. Boeing knows it cannot win that media war so they quickly accepted fault. They were already sponsoring articles trying to tell lies about the cause of the crash before that Ethiopian report. Now they must compensate all the families of the victims adequately. They were trying to mess with the wrong African country. This is not Nigeria where a few will take bribe and sell out everyone to form big man.
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Kylekent59: 11:28am On Apr 05, 2019
The Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) is an automated safety feature on the 737 Max 8 designed to prevent the plane from entering into a stall, or losing lift.

Both the Lion Air jet, which crashed in October, killing 189 people, and the Ethiopian Airlines aircraft, which went down on Sunday, leaving 157 people dead, were fitted with the system.

Both planes experienced similarly erratic steep climbs and descents and fluctuating airspeeds before crashing shortly after takeoff.

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), while noting the similarities between the Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines accidents, stressed that it was too early to draw any conclusions.

MCAS was introduced by Boeing on the 737 Max 8 because its heavier, more fuel-efficient engines changed the aerodynamic qualities of the workhorse aircraft and can cause the plane's nose to pitch up in certain conditions during manual flight.

Angle of attack sensors on the aircraft tell the MCAS to automatically point the nose of the plane down if it is in danger of going into a stall.

This is done through horizontal stabilizers on the plane's tail which are activated by the aircraft's flight control computer.

According to Boeing, MCAS does not control the plane during normal flight but "improves the behavior of the airplane" during "non-normal" situations.

These could be steep turns or after takeoff when a plane is climbing with flaps up at speeds that are close to stall speed.

According to the flight data recorder, the pilots of Lion Air Flight 610 struggled to control the aircraft as the automated MCAS system repeatedly pushed the plane's nose down following takeoff.

The pilots of the Ethiopian Airlines plane reported similar difficulty before the aircraft plunged into the ground shortly after takeoff.

Software updates

A preliminary report on the Lion Air Flight 610 accident blamed it in part on a faulty angle of attack sensor that triggered the MCAS system and automatically forced the plane's nose down.

Pilots flying the same Lion Air plane the previous day had managed to override the automated flight control system.

Boeing came in for some criticism after the Lion Air crash for allegedly failing to adequately inform 737 pilots about the functioning of MCAS or provide training about the system.

Following the Lion Air crash, Boeing issued a bulletin to airlines operating the 737 Max 8 advising pilots how to override the MCAS system.

The US aircraft manufacturer issued a statement on Monday saying it was too early to understand the cause of the Ethiopian Airlines accident.

Boeing also said it was working on software updates to the MCAS system which would be deployed across the 737 Max fleet.

It said procedures already exist to "safely handle the unlikely event of erroneous data coming from an angle of attack (AOA) sensor," the suspected cause of the Lion Air crash.

"The pilot will always be able to override the flight control law (MCAS) using electric trim or manual trim," the aircraft manufacturer said.

A growing list of countries have grounded their 737 Max aircraft after the two deadly crashes in just five months.

Boeing has described the Max series as its fastest-selling family of planes, with more than 5,000 orders placed to date from about 100 customers.

But not since the 1970s—when the McDonnell Douglas DC-10 suffered successive fatal incidents—has a new model been involved in two deadly accidents in such a short period.

Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by MobilityExpress: 11:37am On Apr 05, 2019
Neoteny:

You're wrong

Software (not softwares) are designed to react to situations, especially the MCAS which is designed to correct the plane's attitude or flight characteristics especially in stall conditions or uncommanded pitchup during thrust. That's all MCAS was designed to do: REACT.

In the case of the two crashes MCAS reacted to false sensor data, meaning the readings were offscale, and MCAS reacted to the false data by pitching down using the horizontal stabilizer trim controls to avoid what it falsely thought was a stall condition.

Now where the software erred was in turning itself back on several times after the pilots switched it off, and refused to allow manual control to the pilots.

Before the preliminary report i said this was what happened given the Lion Air crash and the report proves me right.

I'm something of an authority on airplanes and flight dynamics so i know what I'm talking about.

cool
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Pangea: 12:41pm On Apr 05, 2019
joey150:
This crash would have been avoided if the pilot simply deactivated the MCAS and flew the plane manually.

Other pilots had reported similar problem with the 737 and all they did was turn off the MCAS and flew the plane manually till it leveled again.

Why both the Ethiopian and Lion Air Crew didn't think to switch off the MCAS is still mysterious. The simple answer is that they didn't even know it existed to know to turn it off when the plane was nose-diving.

Boeing included a new safety feature in their 737 jets and somehow decided to not completely disclose it.

Read the story or the update from Ethiopian airways
They deactivated
It still didn’t work
The pilot did everything and the plane still crashed!
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by joey150(m): 12:46pm On Apr 05, 2019
OShepherd:
This is where I have challenges & this boils down to experience but was it really proven that some folks had similar MCAS issues with Max8 series?

Yes. Apparently a pilot flying a similar model made a report of such during their normal after flight reports.

Although, it only really is a problem when the altitude sensor gives a faulty reading. So, the MCAS acts on this false sensor reading to try and level the plane by tilting the nose of the plane down so it can gain lift. But obviously this will only work when the plane is actually loosing air speed and not when it is gaining airspeed such as during take off.
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by joey150(m): 12:47pm On Apr 05, 2019
Pangea:

Read the story or the update from Ethiopian airways
They deactivated
It still didn’t work
The pilot did everything and the plane still crashed!

I haven't read any official report stating that the pilots actually switched off the MCAS. ( not just turn it off but actually deactivate it).

I would very much appreciate a link to any of such or similar report.

However, if they did, then chances are they did it when the plane was already plunging down to the ground.
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Myself2(m): 12:47pm On Apr 05, 2019
Rosskii:
So it wasn't the Ethiopian pilot's fault afterall, whereas, some of you were claiming ''it must have been pilot error'' that caused the crash.

One nairalander even said something about ''Africans and incompetence'' etc etc.

Bunch of stupid, self-hating nitwits (You know yourselves).

If you can drop the name of one of the nitwits I promise to make their online lives a living hell

Also, the Boeing boss mentioned did not take full responsibility for the crashes cos he said their software was "one of the causes", someone should please tell the wicked man that their software was "THE ONLY CAUSE" of the crash
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by profmallor: 2:19pm On Apr 05, 2019
This world is a sad place, when you sit and think of the level of scandal and fraud that must have occurred between Boeing and the FAA just to get Boeing to beat Airbus into flying a more fuel efficient plane. The CEO of Boeing must go to prison for this, cause they toyed with peoples lives knowing the ad changes the entire designs of those planes but lied to airlines/pilots that nothing had changed - just to make profits. Anyone could have been on those planes, because they were actually brand new planes(coffin). One lesson I take from this is, dont be so eager to try anything new(be it a car, phone, airplane) if you have a choice, White men lie just as we blacks do. Cause in those their evil board rooms profit is all they care about. Secondly, question every one, question your doctors, your teachers you have a right to know what ever they do that might affect you. Of course Boeing would pay for the damages, but is that ever really a monetary replacement to a dead loved one?. and I wont be surprised that these 737 max planes would find their ways back quietly into the air spaces
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Pangea: 2:56pm On Apr 05, 2019
joey150:

I haven't read any official report stating that the pilots actually switched off the MCAS. ( not just turn it off but actually deactivate it).

However, if they did, then chances are they did it when the plane was already plunging down to the ground.

Just one minute into Flight 302 from Addis Ababa to Nairobi in neighboring Kenya, the captain, Yared Getachew, reported that they were having flight-control problems.

Then the anti-stall system kicked in and pushed the nose of the plane down for nine seconds. Instead of climbing, the plane descended slightly. Audible warnings — “Don’t Sink” — sounded in the cockpit. The pilots fought to turn the nose of the plane up, and briefly they were able to resume climbing.

But the automatic anti-stall system pushed the nose down again, triggering more squawks of “Don’t Sink” from the plane’s ground-proximity warning system.

Following a procedure that Boeing reiterated after the Lion Air crash, the Ethiopian pilots flipped two switches and disconnected the anti-stall system, then tried to regain control. They asked to return to the Addis Ababa airport, but were continuing to struggle getting the plane to gain altitude.

https://apnews.com/1108708781ba46808a16843bda8cc079
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Pangea: 3:00pm On Apr 05, 2019
profmallor:
This world is a sad place, when you sit and think of the level of scandal and fraud that must have occurred between Boeing and the FAA just to get Boeing to beat Airbus into flying a more fuel efficient plane. The CEO of Boeing must go to prison for this, cause they toyed with peoples lives knowing the ad changes the entire designs of those planes but lied to airlines/pilots that nothing had changed - just to make profits. Anyone could have been on those planes, because they were actually brand new planes(coffin). One lesson I take from this is, dont be so eager to try anything new(be it a car, phone, airplane) if you have a choice, White men lie just as we blacks do. Cause in those their evil board rooms profit is all they care about. Secondly, question every one, question your doctors, your teachers you have a right to know what ever they do that might affect you. Of course Boeing would pay for the damages, but is that ever really a monetary replacement to a dead loved one?. and I wont be surprised that these 737 max planes would find their ways back quietly into the air spaces

My brother, no be small thing o
I’m especially saddened by the death of Prof. Akinsanmi
His focus was calling to attention the corruption in Africa
And to be killed by the corruption in America
This life, enh?
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by profmallor: 3:03pm On Apr 05, 2019
So sad.

Pangea:

My brother, no be small thing o
I’m especially saddened by the death of Prof. Akinsanmi
His focus was calling to attention the corruption in Africa
And to be killed by the corruption in America
This life, enh?
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by metroid(m): 3:09pm On Apr 05, 2019
whirlwind7:

Same test pilots that certified the flawed MCAS as ok, right? angry

These test pilots risk their lives to make sure air transport we enjoy is a lot safer.
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Slimpotter(m): 4:50pm On Apr 05, 2019
Rosskii:
So it wasn't the Ethiopian pilot's fault afterall, whereas, some of you were claiming ''it must have been pilot error'' that caused the crash.

One nairalander even said something about ''Africans and incompetence'' etc etc.

Very stupid bunch, very quick to discredit their own. Ethiopian airlines has a reputation to uphold, incompetence would be a less likely scenario, it's just typical American capitalism. They feel nothing, they're only worried about their decreasing profits.
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Slimpotter(m): 4:52pm On Apr 05, 2019
Pangea:
RIP Prof Akinsanmi and others
Imagine, the level of greed in Boeing that lead to this
And they even failed to ground their planes after the Lion air crash in Indonesia
If they had done the necessary thing
Those who died in Ethiopia would have been alive
Wicked company!
It's called Capitalism bro, it's all profit no ethics
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by Slimpotter(m): 4:53pm On Apr 05, 2019
Tobechuckwu:

CNNAfrica is just trying to defend d company, but they ought to have ask this question of worldwide grounding of the air flight.
American owned companies are mostly the sentimental greedy types, especially CNN who always takes a jibe at Africa. Hypocrites
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by rhames(m): 6:35pm On Apr 05, 2019
Rosskii:

Africans can never be self confident about doing anything.
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by SIRTee15: 8:06am On Apr 07, 2019
joey150:

Yes they did....
The pilots followed every Boeing 737 max protocols.....
Black box actually proved the pilots switched off the MCAS and tried flying the plane manually, but the plane wouldn't gain altitude......
Pls let's put the blame at the right feet, which is that of Boeing....
They built a plane with very faulty design....
The 737 max was a disaster in waiting and the world did well to have it grounded.......

All these talk about experience of the pilots are just excuses.....
Africa's entry into regular flight transportation is very much recent compared to the rest of the world.....
So, I don't understand where people expect African airlines to get adequate number of pilots with gazillion flight hours.....
People may say we should employ foreign pilots, but if we don't train our own and allow them in cockpit.....
How are they going to acquire the skills and the flight hours needed to be experienced pilots....

Pls we Africans should take pride in ourself for once and not allow inferiority complex override our sensibility....
Boeing and the FAA messed up big time on this issue and will need to do a lot to regain public trust....
Re: Boeing Is Taking Responsibility In The 737 Jet Crashes That Killed 346 People by joey150(m): 9:34am On Apr 07, 2019
SIRTee15:

Yes they did....
The pilots followed every Boeing 737 max protocols.....
Black box actually proved the pilots ditched off the MCAS and tried flying the plane manually but the plane wouldn't gain altitude......
Pls let's put the blame at the right feet which is Boeing....
They built a plane with very faulty design....
The 737 max was a disaster in waiting and the world did well to have grounded it.....

All these talk about experience of the pilots are just excuses.....
Africa's entry into regular flight transportation is very much recent compared to the rest of the world.....
So, I don't understand where people expect African airlines to get adequate number of pilots with gazillion flight hours.....
People may say we should employ foreign pilots, but if we don't train our own and allow them in cockpit.....
How are they going to acquire the skills and the flight hours needed to be experienced pilots....

Pls we Africans should take pride in ourself for once and not allow inferiority complex override our sensibility....
Boeing and the FAA messed up big time on this issue and will need to do a lot to regain public trust....

Hello, please this isn't an "African issue" do not bring petty sentiments into it.

Once any plane crashes, the pilots are usually under scrutiny, until it can be proved beyond reasonable doubt that they haven't done anything wrong.

So, it's normal that the actions of the pilot leading to the final moments the plane helplessly plunged to the ground is speculated and well talked about. This would be the same if the pilot was Indian, Japanese, American or Spanish.

If the Pilots have been absolved of any wrongdoing then Boeing has to come under scrutiny , which is what I imagine is going to happen now.

Several pilots have reported a 'similar' issue to what this same ill fated 737 experienced during take off and they reiterated that deactivating the MCAS solved the issue. Why it didn't work on this particular one is still a big mystery.

Please analyse issues as they are, I don't like folks bringing the African sentiments from nowhere. Pilots across the globe deserve the same level of training, experience, pay, and criticism that comes with the job, regardless of their race or background.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tanker Explosion Along Benin-ore Expressway / Lawmaker, Abdullahi Aliyu Ahmed Threatens Legal Action Against Air Peace / Aero Contractors Explains What Caused The Smoke On The PortHarcourt-Lagos Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.