Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,841 members, 7,817,490 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy (1174 Views)

5 Old Beliefs Of Pastor Kumuyi Of Deeper Life Which He Latter Abandoned / Difference Between The Rapture And The Second Coming / The Dome Above The Earth Will Shatter Beliefs And Topple Nations-abachwezi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:46pm On Apr 06, 2019
The Rapture and the Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs and Policy
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has linked Christian beliefs with foreign policy, raising questions about the extent to which his evangelism is influencing American diplomacy.
Doug Mills/The New York Times
CreditCreditDoug Mills/The New York Times
By Edward Wong
March 30, 2019

JERUSALEM — When Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sat down for an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network in a hotel in Jerusalem earlier this month, he made a remark that was perhaps the most revelatory of any in his nearly one year in office.

An evangelical Christian, Mr. Pompeo had just returned from tours of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, built on the ground where Jesus is said to have been crucified and buried, and of tunnels beneath the Western Wall, by the holiest site in Judaism. The interviewer posed a question around a biblical tale about a queen who saved Jews from slaughter by a Persian official: Did Mr. Pompeo think President Trump had been "raised for such a time as this, just like Queen Esther, to help save the Jewish people from the Iranian menace?"

"As a Christian, I certainly believe that's possible," Mr. Pompeo said. "It was remarkable — so we were down in the tunnels where we could see 3,000 years ago, and 2,000 years ago, if I have the history just right — to see the remarkable history of the faith in this place, and the work that our administration's done, to make sure that this democracy in the Middle East, that this Jewish state, remains. I am confident that the Lord is at work here."

White evangelical Christians are a powerful force in the Republican Party. Vice President Mike Pence is a staunch believer and former President George W. Bush is an adherent, too.

But no secretary of state in recent decades has been as open and fervent as Mr. Pompeo about discussing Christianity and foreign policy in the same breath. That has increasingly raised questions about the extent to which evangelical beliefs are influencing American diplomacy.

On Monday, in a speech at the annual conference of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the pro-Israel group, Mr. Pompeo told an anecdote about Tibor Baranski, a Christian who saved 3,000 Jews in Hungary during World War II. Then he said, "As secretary of state and as a Christian, I’m proud to lead American diplomacy to support Israel’s right to defend itself."

The next day, Mr. Pompeo announced an expansion of Trump administration anti-abortion policies, saying the United States would stop funding foreign organizations that support other groups that perform abortions. It is a policy popular with conservatives, Catholics and evangelical Christians.

Though Mr. Trump is secular, white evangelicals are a big part of his voter base, and some of his major foreign policy moves, planned or supported by Mr. Pompeo, are intended to shore up political support.

'After We Hung Up, I Received a Simple Text: Just His First Name.'
"I am confident that the Lord is at work here," Mr. Pompeo told a reporter in Jerusalem who asked whether President Trump was sent to protect Israel from Iran.

The most notable examples involve Israel. When Mr. Trump moved the United States Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, evangelicals applauded.

Studies show that white evangelicals are much more likely than other Americans to believe that Israel fulfills a biblical prophecy. Known as Christian Zionists, they believe God promised the land to the Jews, and that the gathering of Jews in Israel is foretold in the prophecy of the rapture — the ascent of Christians into the kingdom of God.

Mr. Pompeo talks about the rapture. "We will continue to fight these battles," he said at a "God and Country Rally" in 2015, because there is a "never-ending struggle" until "the rapture."

"Be part of it," he said at the meeting, at the Summit church in Wichita, Kan. "Be in the fight."

In November, Mr. Pompeo told a reporter for The New York Times Magazine that the Bible "informs everything I do." The reporter noticed an open Bible in his office, with a Swiss Army knife marking his place at the end of the book of Queen Esther.

Click on the link for the rest of the story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/30/us/politics/pompeo-christian-policy.html

1 Share

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by caye(m): 3:09pm On Apr 06, 2019
Olaadegbu- the house nihger.
Keep on praising your oppressors and their fake religious beliefs.

1 Like

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by paxonel(m): 3:30pm On Apr 06, 2019
I am a christian, but these americans and europians have succeeded in propagating deception to the world over the years.
What is rapture?
Is there anything like that in the bible?
No!!

I will advice christians to focus on their current lives on earth and live it to the fullest,achieving whatever they want and not be distracted by fake beliefs of people flying away from the earth in the future
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:37pm On Apr 06, 2019
paxonel:

I am a christian, but these americans and europians have succeeded in propagating deception to the world over the years.
What is rapture?
Is there anything like that in the bible?
No!!

I will advice christians to focus on their current lives on earth and live it to the fullest,achieving whatever they want and not be distracted by fake beliefs of people flying away from the earth in the future

You, a Christian? Can you share with us how you became a Christian? undecided
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by paxonel(m): 6:02pm On Apr 06, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

You, a Christian? Can you share with us how you became a Christian? undecided
is there any special way to be christian order than believing and confessing that Jesus is the christ and giver eternal life?
John 3:16 ....whosever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
What else do you expect, that i should also believe in conventional doctrines?
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:56pm On Apr 06, 2019
paxonel:

is there any special way to be christian order than believing and confessing that Jesus is the christ and giver eternal life?
John 3:16 ....whosever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
What else do you expect, that i should also believe in conventional doctrines?

You are yet to be a Christian until you've repented. cool

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by paxonel(m): 7:37pm On Apr 06, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

You are yet to be a Christian until you've repented. cool
and you expect me or anyone else to be that simply because you are saying it?

I'll rather believe the bible
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:44pm On Apr 06, 2019
paxonel:

"I tell you, Nay: but, except you repent, you shall all likewise perish" (Luke 13:3).

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by Daviddson(m): 7:48pm On Apr 06, 2019
paxonel:

Matt 3:2 - And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mark 2:17 - When Jesus heard [it], he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

1 Like

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by paxonel(m): 8:28pm On Apr 06, 2019
Daviddson:
Mark 2:17 - When Jesus heard [it], he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
how about this man who made this comment in the bible who did not repent until he died of his sin

Luke 23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds....

Did this same man not make heaven inspite his sin?

Relate the other scriptures you quoted (matt 3:2 and mark z:17) luke 24:41 and tell me why scriptures are saying repent and another time, someone who did not repent and was crucified for his sins end up making heaven

1 Like

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by paxonel(m): 8:34pm On Apr 06, 2019
Daviddson:
Relate the mark 2:17 you quoted with luke 23:41 and tell me why scriptures are saying repent and another time, someone who did not repent and was crucified for his sins in luke 23:41 end up making heaven .

Why will the scripture say one thing repent repent, and someone who did not repent was in paradise with christ
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by Daviddson(m): 8:50pm On Apr 06, 2019
paxonel:

Relate the mark 2:17 you quoted with luke 23:41 and tell me why scriptures are saying repent and another time, someone who did not repent and was crucified for his sins in luke 23:41 end up making heaven .

Why will the scripture say one thing repent repent, and someone who did not repent was in paradise with christ
The man told Jesus Christ: 'Remember me in Your Kingdom'. That's a sign of repentance. And he also said: 'We're being punished for our sins, but this Man has done nothing', thereby acknowledging his sin. If he wasn't repentant, he wouldn't have shut the other fellow down and then ask Jesus to remember Him in Heaven.
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by paxonel(m): 7:16am On Apr 07, 2019
Daviddson:
The man told Jesus Christ: 'Remember me in Your Kingdom'. That's a sign of repentance.
did you say sign?
You can't predict peoples mind from what they are saying, they will say one thing and do a different thing entirely. Remember me in your kingdom does not mean he has repented he is just saying it, infact i am very sure if he was pardoned he will still go back to commit the very sin that he was indicted to the cross. It is this understanding that the law and the authority will proceed to execute or kill the thief even after he is saying he has repented. That means, his repentance amount to nothing, it of no use.
The last time i check the meaning of the word repentance in Englih dictionary, it means :
to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life.
You cant do that anymore when you are about to be executed for your sins

And he also said: 'We're being punished for our sins, but this Man has done nothing', thereby acknowledging his sin.
he has already acknowledge that what he was about to do is sin from day one, at the point he is about committing the sin, he isnt kid.

If he wasn't repentant, he wouldn't have shut the other fellow down and then ask Jesus to remember Him in Heaven.
his repentance did not change anything. His execution was proceeded so whats the use of repentance?
He was killed like someone who has not repented .

What are we saying in all this?
Jesus christ accepted him in his paradise not because he repented, but he simply acknowledged Jesus as his savior
Repentance and accepting christ are two different thing and should be treated as such.
Salvation has nothing to do with repentance, we are saved by grace without the deeds of the law.
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by orisa37: 7:26am On Apr 07, 2019
Sins are Failures to fulfil Agreements, Contracts and Covenants with Man and God.
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:52am On Apr 14, 2019
orisa37:

Sins are Failures to fulfil Agreements, Contracts and Covenants with Man and God.

Are you insinuating that Mike Pompeo is guilty of this? undecided
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by orisa37: 1:13pm On Apr 14, 2019
OLAADEGBU:

Are you insinuating that Mike Pompeo is guilty of this? undecided

If Buhari trades Nigeria life with the Sahel Region unconstitutionally, he is commiting Capital Sin in the Court of God.

1 Like

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:48am On May 07, 2022
OLAADEGBU:
The Rapture and the Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs and Policy
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has linked Christian beliefs with foreign policy, raising questions about the extent to which his evangelism is influencing American diplomacy.
Doug Mills/The New York Times
CreditCreditDoug Mills/The New York Times
By Edward Wong
March 30, 2019

JERUSALEM — When Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sat down for an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network in a hotel in Jerusalem earlier this month, he made a remark that was perhaps the most revelatory of any in his nearly one year in office.

An evangelical Christian, Mr. Pompeo had just returned from tours of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, built on the ground where Jesus is said to have been crucified and buried, and of tunnels beneath the Western Wall, by the holiest site in Judaism. The interviewer posed a question around a biblical tale about a queen who saved Jews from slaughter by a Persian official: Did Mr. Pompeo think President Trump had been "raised for such a time as this, just like Queen Esther, to help save the Jewish people from the Iranian menace?"

"As a Christian, I certainly believe that's possible," Mr. Pompeo said. "It was remarkable — so we were down in the tunnels where we could see 3,000 years ago, and 2,000 years ago, if I have the history just right — to see the remarkable history of the faith in this place, and the work that our administration's done, to make sure that this democracy in the Middle East, that this Jewish state, remains. I am confident that the Lord is at work here."

White evangelical Christians are a powerful force in the Republican Party. Vice President Mike Pence is a staunch believer and former President George W. Bush is an adherent, too.

But no secretary of state in recent decades has been as open and fervent as Mr. Pompeo about discussing Christianity and foreign policy in the same breath. That has increasingly raised questions about the extent to which evangelical beliefs are influencing American diplomacy.

On Monday, in a speech at the annual conference of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, the pro-Israel group, Mr. Pompeo told an anecdote about Tibor Baranski, a Christian who saved 3,000 Jews in Hungary during World War II. Then he said, "As secretary of state and as a Christian, I’m proud to lead American diplomacy to support Israel’s right to defend itself."

The next day, Mr. Pompeo announced an expansion of Trump administration anti-abortion policies, saying the United States would stop funding foreign organizations that support other groups that perform abortions. It is a policy popular with conservatives, Catholics and evangelical Christians.

Though Mr. Trump is secular, white evangelicals are a big part of his voter base, and some of his major foreign policy moves, planned or supported by Mr. Pompeo, are intended to shore up political support.

'After We Hung Up, I Received a Simple Text: Just His First Name.'
"I am confident that the Lord is at work here," Mr. Pompeo told a reporter in Jerusalem who asked whether President Trump was sent to protect Israel from Iran.

The most notable examples involve Israel. When Mr. Trump moved the United States Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, evangelicals applauded.

Studies show that white evangelicals are much more likely than other Americans to believe that Israel fulfills a biblical prophecy. Known as Christian Zionists, they believe God promised the land to the Jews, and that the gathering of Jews in Israel is foretold in the prophecy of the rapture — the ascent of Christians into the kingdom of God.

Mr. Pompeo talks about the rapture. "We will continue to fight these battles," he said at a "God and Country Rally" in 2015, because there is a "never-ending struggle" until "the rapture."

"Be part of it," he said at the meeting, at the Summit church in Wichita, Kan. "Be in the fight."

In November, Mr. Pompeo told a reporter for The New York Times Magazine that the Bible "informs everything I do." The reporter noticed an open Bible in his office, with a Swiss Army knife marking his place at the end of the book of Queen Esther.

Click on the link for the rest of the story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/30/us/politics/pompeo-christian-policy.html

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by LordReed(m): 9:18am On May 07, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

I guess the rapture is being prevented the same way Trump lost reelection. LoLz!
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:33am On May 07, 2022
LordReed:

I guess the rapture is being prevented the same way Trump lost reelection. LoLz!

The rapture remains a mystery to you until the great and terrible day of the Lord when the wrath of God will be poured down from His cup of indignation with mixture unless you repent and believe the gospel. cool
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by LordReed(m): 10:00am On May 07, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

The rapture remains a mystery to you until the great and terrible day of the Lord when the wrath of God will be poured down from His cup of indignation with mixture unless you repent and believe the gospel. cool

Even after we are both dead and forgotten nothing like your fabled rapture will occur. Wanna bet? LoLz!
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:04am On May 07, 2022
LordReed:

Even after we are both dead and forgotten nothing like your fabled rapture will occur. Wanna bet? LoLz!

You are not making sense. How will you claim your bet if you won but long dead and forgotten?

Where did they go? undecided

I believe you will understand the language of demons. Go on and knock yourself out. cheesy

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by LordReed(m): 11:26am On May 07, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

You are not making sense. How will you claim your bet if you won but long dead and forgotten?

Where did they go? undecided

I believe you will understand the language of demons. Go on and knock yourself out. cheesy

I don't have to personally claim the winnings, my descendants can be the ones to claim it. If that is not to your satisfaction we can set any time limit within our lifetimes.
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:48pm On May 07, 2022
LordReed:

I don't have to personally claim the winnings, my descendants can be the ones to claim it. If that is not to your satisfaction we can set any time limit within our lifetimes.

Why do you want to mortgage your whole descendants on a failed venture? God doesn't play dice. cool

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by LordReed(m): 1:55pm On May 07, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Why do you want to mortgage your whole descendants on a failed venture. God doesn't play dice.

LoLz! How am I mortgaging my descendants?

Really? What was he doing with Satan in Job? Kalo kalo? Bwahahahahaha!
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:27pm On May 07, 2022
LordReed:

LoLz! How am I mortgaging my descendants?

Really? What was he doing with Satan in Job? Kalo kalo? Bwahahahahaha!

See what your demons are up to in the depiction below: cool

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by LordReed(m): 3:08pm On May 07, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

See what your demons are up to in the depiction below: cool

Bwahahahaha! God the original kalo kalo player.
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:23pm On May 07, 2022
LordReed:

Bwahahahaha! God the original kalo kalo player.

You are the one playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun. shocked

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by LordReed(m): 5:48pm On May 08, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

You are the one playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded gun. shocked

Well then take the bet. I bet you that in the next 20 years your rapture would not have taken place.
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:44pm On May 09, 2022
LordReed:

Well then take the bet. I bet you that in the next 20 years your rapture would not have taken place.

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation (2 Peter 3:3-4).

See how accurate the Scripture is. smiley
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by LordReed(m): 9:57pm On May 09, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation (2 Peter 3:3-4).

See how accurate the Scripture is. smiley

LoLz! And look how accurate the millions of scoffers have been for the past 1980+ years.
Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:31am On May 12, 2022
LordReed:

LoLz! And look how accurate the millions of scoffers have been for the past 1980+ years.

There is nothing new under the sun. cool

Re: The Rapture And The Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs And Policy by LordReed(m): 10:36am On May 12, 2022
OLAADEGBU:

There is nothing new under the sun. cool

LoLz! Using one fairytale to support another, how rich. Bwahahahahaha!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pastor Quits Being A Christian After Not Witnessing Anything Supernatural / The Hidden Mystery Of The Star In The Sky.... / Pastor Adeboye's Sermon @ The Abuja 2019 Holy Ghost Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.