Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Living In Foreign Land Is Not So Cheap - By Jagunmolu Oluwadare Lasisi - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Foreign Land Is Not So Cheap - By Jagunmolu Oluwadare Lasisi (703 Views)

Celebrating Eid In A Foreign Land: Nairalander Experience In North Cyprus / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living In Foreign Land Is Not So Cheap - By Jagunmolu Oluwadare Lasisi by akintade59: 12:53am On Apr 08, 2019
Let me focus on the United Kingdom for the sake of this essay. It is not cheap to live in Europe and America or just any foreign country. You're still an immigrant even if you have the passports of those countries. Don't ever deceive yourself! When the chips are down, they would tell you your country of origin. As simple as ABC.

Please think deeper, don't engage in crimes in foreign lands.

Where do we start? To apply for citizenships of those countries, work permits or ordinary visa renewals and many others are not so cheap if you convert the pounds to naira. You must be a millionaire in nairas!

What about house rent, bills(gas, electric, phone, internet etc) plus council tax payments?

For example in South London, a single room is about £400 or more per month to rent. You're free to convert that to naira!

In this single room, no privacy, you will share toilet/bathroom, kitchen and living room with total strangers. You will need to tolerate some people from different family backgrounds. I will write a full story about this aspect very soon.

If you want your own privacy, then go and rent either 1 or 2 bedroom flat. Don't even think of renting a 2-bedroom flat because the rent per month is close to £1,000 or more. Ask Londoners for details.

If you move out of London, you're likely to see cheaper accommodation but less African people. It is your personal choice.

I lived in London for almost 14 years before recent relocation to Scotland. I have the map of London engraved in my brain forever!

I am still a Londoner at heart, I love London any day.

Right now, more Nigerians(and Africans!) are now moving out of London because of the high cost of house rents and other personal reasons.

For example in Glasgow, you can still see a moderate 2-bedroom flat for less than £600 per month inclusive of council tax. You can never see that in London right now. Quote me anywhere!

Let me drop this bombshell here, life is going to be 'extra hard' for you if you're paperless(zero immigration status) in the United Kingdom.

Life is likely to be 'hyper-hard' if you're working(either as a cleaner, careworker or any odd jobs!) with another person's document because it is more or less like modern slavery but better than begging people for money. You won't get full payment after your stress. That's the bitter truth.

Right now, I always advise fellow Nigerians, don't come to the United Kingdom to 'hustle', no longer possible without valid documentation. If caught, jail, then deportation to your country of origin. If deported, you cannot apply to re-enter the UK until after 10 years.

Many years ago, I knew one 'paperless' Nigerian guy(Mr A) in Peckham who was not paid for working through 'back-door' as a night-shift cleaner in one office in Waterloo, central London.

The owner (Mr B, a Nigerian citizen!) of the bank account used for the salaries just failed to pay because he knew the 'paperless' guy(Mr A) cannot report to the police. Mr B later escaped to Manchester. Don't let me re-open an old wound. I rest my case for now.

To cut the long story short, Mr A was recently granted settlement in the United Kingdom after almost 20 years of zero documentation. That's the sacrifice for the sake of his children.

Are you ready to endure 'plenty sh*t' for 20 years before obtaining UK papers? It is your choice if you're planning to relocate to the UK. I am not here to discourage anybody.

With Brexit, it is no longer 'business-as-usual' for immigrants! If you don't know before today, ask Google for details.

During this endurance of 'plenty sh*t' in a foreign land, some Nigerians at home won't stop disturbing you to send money, shoes or smartphones as urgent as possible. If they know your mobile phone number, you're in deep mess day and night.

Even if you come from Africa or anywhere with a student visa, you cannot work for more than 20 hours per week except 'cash-by-hand' work which is illegal. Life is a risk, it is your choice. The luck of Taiwo is not the same as that of Kehinde.

We(Nigerians living in the United Kingdom) all have our bitter-sweet stories to tell fellow Nigerians still 'trapped' in Nigeria.

If you're able to obtain a full scholarship to attend any UK school, I say a big congratulation to you. I wish you well and don't ever mess up this 'once-in-a-lifetime' golden opportunity.

Let's say maybe 10 or 15 years ago in the United Kingdom, you can work in many places as an immigrant without proper scrutiny of your passports but right now, proper checks of all papers before any work, even to work as a cleaner in any office. If caught working illegally without proper documentation, you're free to predict your 'punishment', ask Londoner for details. I no go use all mouth talk am.

It is not an easy task to work under extreme cold weather and still be sending money to Nigerians living in Nigeria. Don't even talk about some of us sending 'free money' to total strangers with financial problems on social media.

If you're working '9am-5pm' in the United Kingdom, after paying rents and other bills, you have little savings.

Read more: https://www.femiotawa.com/2019/04/living-in-foreign-land-is-not-so-cheap.html

4 Likes

Re: Living In Foreign Land Is Not So Cheap - By Jagunmolu Oluwadare Lasisi by akintade59: 12:53am On Apr 08, 2019
Re: Living In Foreign Land Is Not So Cheap - By Jagunmolu Oluwadare Lasisi by Lloydthesaint: 1:26am On Apr 08, 2019
We will still go there no worry yourself
Re: Living In Foreign Land Is Not So Cheap - By Jagunmolu Oluwadare Lasisi by akintade59: 4:18am On Apr 08, 2019
The aim of this write up is not to discourage people from seeking greener pasture, but to highlight the pros and cons of you embarking on that journey, so that at end you don't feel dejected and depressed with culture shock and thereby taking to crime, all in an effort to eke out a living, even though you could have been a king in your own country if truly you know your onion.
Lloydthesaint:
We will still go there no worry yourself

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Blind Nigerian Deported From Dubai Got Healed After Apostle Suleman Prayed. / Why I Stopped Asking About How Good A City Or Country Is. / Jupiter And Saturn Comes Close To The Moon And Easily Visible With Naked Eyes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.