Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,121 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy (18082 Views)

Our Refinery Will Supply First Product To Market By July, Says Dangote / Dangote Refinery Will Boost Growth Of Downstream Sector In 2022 - CPPE, Others / Dangote: My Refinery Will Be Completed By The End Of 2021 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by ednut1(m): 6:25am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

They have no need to sell him oil other than for the price for which it is sold internationally.

He on the other hand, sells to Nigeria at standard international price . The difference is that it doesn't need freight charges, landing cost and sundry top up charges.

cost of production in nigeria is higher so it will negate all the freight charges and all. Nnpc currently does under recovery with yankee refineries. They will simply do same with dangote. Give him cheap oil after all fg/nnpc own half of oilf produced in nigeria
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by GavelSlam: 6:49am On Apr 08, 2019
ednut1:
cost of production in nigeria is higher so it will negate all the freight charges and all. Nnpc currently does under recovery with yankee refineries. They will simply do same with dangote. Give him cheap oil after all fg/nnpc own half of oilf produced in nigeria

Cost of production of what is higher?

Crude oil?

Why do far flung nations such as India, China and even the US buy our oil?

Finished refined products?

How?

The oil is piped to the refineries, the Labour costs are far less than anywhere else, tax holidays and tariffs have been granted.

So tell us what is actually more expensive.

6 Likes

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Originalsly: 6:49am On Apr 08, 2019
kayroc:

The way I understood it is that if Petrol costs 200/l to import, FG pays 50 out of it and then the sellers sell for 150.
However, if the price goes up to 250/l to import FG might drag their feet over paying 100/l subsidy leading to fuel scarcity. If FG does not pay immediately, and keeps paying that 50/l, then the supply available at official price goes down leading to shortages.

The foreign companies sell to us at market rate but the FG defrays part of the costs to reduce prices to the end consumer.

Or is my understanding wrong?

Your understanding is correct. So if the petrol is supplied by Dangote... the FG will be unwilling to pay him the market price of 200/L?... and continue subsidizing 50 for the public? Explain why it would be unprofitable for Dangote to sell with the subsidy still standing.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Ayanfeoluxyz(f): 6:49am On Apr 08, 2019
deenee:

Petrolex is a tank farm oga. No refinery is been built there at the moment even though there are discussions for such in the pipeline. You too stop spreading fake news
He should have talked about modular refineries and not petrolex
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by kayroc: 6:56am On Apr 08, 2019
Originalsly:

Your understanding is correct. So if the petrol is supplied by Dangote... the FG will be unwilling to pay him the market price of 200/L?... and continue subsidizing 50 for the public? Explain why it would be unprofitable for Dangote to sell with the subsidy still standing.

Ok the way I saw it is that FG has an amount they peg as what they will spend for subsidy. If the cost of the petrol goes higher, then they might not want to increase what they planned to spend on subsidy, causing them to reduce the amount of petrol they buy from him.

The way I calculated it, if there is that kind of political aspect to him being able to offload his product, that means that NASS who set budget can get in his way. This makes selling his product more complicated, meaning that it would make more sense for him to just sell to foreign interest who don't need NASS to approve what they will use to buy his product.

Does it make sense?

3 Likes

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by ultron12345: 7:02am On Apr 08, 2019
tciro:
Why is it that this man as no competitor, should it always be monopolistic hmm
Did he hold you from building your own refinery and competing with him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by deenee: 7:13am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

Will you shut up?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-06/nigeria-s-refining-push-prompts-3-6-billion-plan-from-petrolex

It is left for Petrolex to deliver.

Bro stop making a fool of yourself. You go and pull a bloomberg report from Dec 2017 just to make a bigger mockery of your self.

Petrolex has plans in the pipeline...which I mentioned in my post and even that is still on the drawing table because approvals to expand the tank farm which is not yet fully operational to include a refinery was stalled by the state government and will most likely be stalled as dapo abiodun a rival in the energy sector with same plans is now the state gov elect.

Dangote's refinery is almost near completion, the fertiliser and gas pipeline are complete and all things been equal will become operational by FY 2019.

Also Dangote has location advantage as he has sited his refinery by the sea coast hence making dispatch and discharge of products easy. He has also built his own private port hence cutting of the bureaucracies of apapa port and the likes

Petroloex is planning to build along the inland waterways of ogun state so for him to even dispatch or discharge he will need to build pipelines which will make his business operations open to pipeline vandals or other wise he will move products in barges which will double his production cost thereby making him uncompetitive.

You people just sit down and type rubbish mis informing people.

2 Likes

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by ednut1(m): 7:17am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

Cost of production of what is higher?

Crude oil?

Why do far flung nations such as India, China and even the US buy our oil?

Finished refined products?

How?

The oil is piped to the refineries, the Labour costs are far less than anywhere else, tax holidays and tariffs have been granted.

So tell us what is actually more expensive.
ever wondered why its cheaper to import chicken in 9ja Where other countries can access loans of 3% it has to be 22% here. Dangote refinery loans some were are 10% . By the time he capitalised those costs u go know how far
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Originalsly: 7:18am On Apr 08, 2019
kayroc:

Ok the way I saw it is that FG has an amount they peg as what they will spend for subsidy. If the cost of the petrol goes higher, then they might not want to increase what they planned to spend on subsidy, causing them to reduce the amount of petrol they buy from him.

The way I calculated it, if there is that kind of political aspect to him being able to offload his product, that means that NASS who set budget can get in his way. This makes selling his product more complicated, meaning that it would make more sense for him to just sell to foreign interest who don't need NASS to approve what they will use to buy his product.

Does it make sense?

Not really. Whatever the FG can afford to buy... he would sell. His sale is not restricted to the FG... he is trying to supply the entire continent.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by ednut1(m): 7:19am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

Are you aware the earth was hit by an asteroid millions of years ago, leading to death of dinosaurs, spread of rare metals such as gold, platinum etc?

Burning fossil fuels definitely affects the ozone layer which in turn spawns climate change.
so if there any proof the so called damage will reverse if we stop emmissions. grin
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by GavelSlam: 7:20am On Apr 08, 2019
deenee:

Bro stop making a fool of yourself. You go and pull a bloomberg report from Dec 2017 just to make a bigger mockery of your self.

Petrolex has plans in the pipeline...which I mentioned in my post and even that is still on the drawing table because approvals to expand the tank farm which is not yet fully operational to include a refinery was stalled by the state government and will most likely be stalled as dapo abiodun a rival in the energy sector with same plans is now the state gov elect.

Dangote's refinery is almost near completion, the fertiliser and gas pipeline are complete and all things been equal will become operational by FY 2019.

Also Dangote has location advantage as he has sited his refinery by the sea coast hence making dispatch and discharge of products easy. He has also built his own private port hence cutting of the bureaucracies of apapa port and the likes

Petroloex is planning to build along the inland waterways of ogun state so for him to even dispatch or discharge he will need to build pipelines which will make his business operations open to pipeline vandals or other wise he will move products in barges which will double his production cost thereby making him uncompetitive.

You people just sit down and type rubbish mis informing people.

Stop writing rubbish.

Whose fault is it that they cannot build a refinery even after being granted a licence?

If Petrolex is not built, that is their problem.

A licence has been issued.

How is it a monopoly if licenses have been issued?

The kind of human beings that come on Nairaland suggests why the country is the way it is.
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by GavelSlam: 7:22am On Apr 08, 2019
ednut1:
so if there any proof the so called damage will reverse if we stop emmissions. grin

Lower emissions would reduce the damage. And yes, there is the suggestion that the damage can be controlled and even reduced from its present position.
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by GavelSlam: 7:24am On Apr 08, 2019
ednut1:
ever wondered why its cheaper to import chicken in 9ja Where other countries can access loans of 3% it has to be 22% here. Dangote refinery loans some were are 10% . By the time he capitalised those costs u go know how far

Provide evidence he got his loans at 10%
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by kayroc: 7:28am On Apr 08, 2019
Originalsly:

Not really. Whatever the FG can afford to buy... he would sell. His sale is not restricted to the FG... he is trying to supply the entire continent.

Oh ok. Thank you for explaining it. I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by lastempero: 7:30am On Apr 08, 2019
kayroc:
I am sure Dangote will simply export all the refined product from that refinery. For as long as there is subsidy he will not he able to sell for the maximum price in Nigeria so he will simply export the product and maximize returns.

Once the refinery comes on stream they will stop subsidy for the oga patapata to take in more rubbers,u know know there way again. As in cement, sugar and other dangote signatures.
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 08, 2019
One day, they may leave Damgote to produce everything that is needed in Nigeria.
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by ednut1(m): 7:36am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

Provide evidence he got his loans at 10%
industry standards for oil and gas.
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Ugosample(m): 7:42am On Apr 08, 2019
brainpulse:
Good one. Another great development in the southwest. We don't develop by noise, we do by actions
undecided

it's a project that will benefit THE country

it just had to be located somewhere

You guys should just stop this
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Ugosample(m): 7:44am On Apr 08, 2019
lastempero:

Once the refinery comes on stream they will stop subsidy for the oga patapata to take in more rubbers,u know know there way again. As in cement, sugar and other dangote signatures.

what's wrong with that?
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Ugosample(m): 7:45am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

Stop writing rubbish.

Whose fault is it that they cannot build a refinery even after being granted a licence?

The kind of human beings that come on Nairaland suggests why the country is the way it is.

it's the prevalent mentality in Nigeria

no mind them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Ugosample(m): 7:51am On Apr 08, 2019
freedomjabs:
Dangote will squeeze Nigeria hard with his fanatical refinery, the way is doing with his CEMENT and other products! I'm not surprised and don't expect his refinery would make us better either. Nigeria is the only country Dangote cement is damn expensive compare to huge resources available to him compare to other country, where he got fewer resources and still sell cheap. Dangote is a sucker.

do you know that it takes to produce in Nigeria?

The O/H are excessive and you have to incorporate it in your pricing

Not to talk of the loans he is servicing at prohibitive interest

Its just a few years ago he started getting international juice that then reduced his WACC.......

so don't blame him 100 %

1 Like

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by deenee: 7:57am On Apr 08, 2019
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by hush15: 8:03am On Apr 08, 2019
kayroc:
I am sure Dangote will simply export all the refined product from that refinery. For as long as there is subsidy he will not he able to sell for the maximum price in Nigeria so he will simply export the product and maximize returns.

Moreover, monopoly will come to play
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by Codes151(m): 8:11am On Apr 08, 2019
This Dangote fool wants to insult us!! Mallam... taking our oil to Lagos won’t turn out well o! Hope u have fire proof
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by GavelSlam: 8:15am On Apr 08, 2019
ednut1:
industry standards for oil and gas.

Pulled from your ass.

grin
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by ednut1(m): 8:16am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

Pulled from your ass.

grin
i work in the industry duh. And have seen many of such loan agreements
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by GavelSlam: 8:18am On Apr 08, 2019
ednut1:
i work in the industry duh. And have seen many of such loan agreements

Lol.

Do you think Dangote got his loans from local banks?

grin
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by deenee: 8:18am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

Stop writing rubbish.

Bro i don't need to join issues with you and i regret even responding to you post. You started out by saying petrloex is building a refinery and I tried to correct the wrong news now you have turned the table.

Having a license to build and building are two different things and to tell you for free the ministry of petroleum resources issue out refinery licenses daily. And I choose to align with the person that is building because at least he is making an effort.

Finally, I have gone through your posts on nairaland and see that you are the pervasive and dodgy type that will nevet admit that they are wrong so this will be my last post to you on this.
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by ednut1(m): 8:26am On Apr 08, 2019
GavelSlam:

Lol.

Do you think Dangote got his loans from local banks?

grin
no he got it from me na

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by GavelSlam: 8:40am On Apr 08, 2019
deenee:

Bro i don't need to join issues with you and i regret even responding to you post. You started out by saying petrloex is building a refinery and I tried to correct the wrong news now you have turned the table.

Having a license to build and building are two different things and to tell you for free the ministry of petroleum resources issue out refinery licenses daily. And I choose to align with the person that is building because at least he is making an effort.

Finally, I have gone through your posts on nairaland and see that you are the pervasive and dodgy type that will nevet admit that they are wrong so this will be my last post to you on this.

Good riddance.
Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by djon78(m): 8:58am On Apr 08, 2019
With the way oil is going, its future very uncertain. I still have a huge doubt about this investment dangote has done.

Hope he breaks even before oil's final demise.
Because people may try to hide from facts available, oil is not the future, our leaders must really start thinking towards that, Nigerian leadership must really get serious about diversification, now that the country still have advantage of oil earnings. It will be easier and no stress.

But if they waste the abundance of opportunity and grace period now. It will be horrible and terrible when the opportunity is no longer available. So they better wise up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangote Refinery Will Transform Nigeria’s Economy by winterfell007(m): 9:14am On Apr 08, 2019
brainpulse:
Good one. Another great development in the southwest. We don't develop by noise, we do by actions

Your brain is paining you. The refinery will not only bring development to southwest, it will bring development to all part Nigeria.
Dangote will not employ only southwest people, he'll employ all Nigerians. That's why he's been employing all first-class engineering students from all our prestigious universities like OAU, UNN, UNILAG, Abu and so on
So tell me, what noise don't you make?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN Raises Interest Rate To 15.5% To Curb Rising Inflation / “We need to do more collectively for Africa”- Halima Dangote / Dangote Plans To Generate 12,000MW Of Electricity By 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.