Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,842 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? (2160 Views)

So APC Pple Were Laughing At Atiku, Right? / Was Atiku Head Of Obasanjo’s Economic Management Team? (Fact Check) / Was Atiku Corrupt When These Pictures Were Taken? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by Ratello: 5:09pm On Apr 10, 2019
budaatum:

There is no reason to conclude that nnpc will be profitable from the argument you posed with Aramco. Some might point out that not privatising like Aramco should make nnpc profitable, but since they are both not privatised, and one makes profit while the other doesn't, then perhaps privatisation is irrelevant.

Except, where Atiku is concerned, it is very relevant! Who would he sell it to if not his cronies, or has he not got form? What happened to all the other companies he privatised? Is there any reason privatised nnpc would not end up the same way? Or do you just not know Atikus's record regarding privatisation?

Could anyone provide some please, if there's any.
Is our power sector, telecommunication sector and even banking sector privatised faring better now? Hundreds of thousands of jobs were created through the privatisation of the telecommunication sector alone.....so what's the fuss here?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by budaatum: 5:59pm On Apr 10, 2019
Ratello:

Is our power sector, telecommunication sector and even banking sector privatised faring better now? Hundreds of thousands of jobs were created through the privatisation of the telecommunication sector alone.....so what's the fuss here?
Atiku is my own personal fuss. I don't have sufficient confidence that him privatising our goose that lays our golden eggs is a good idea. And neither do I think Nigeria is knowledgeable enough to sell it competently at the moment, nor do I think we Nigerians know enough to allow it to be sold at the moment, and once it's gone, it's gone.

Privatisation is the solution. Just not by Atiku, or yet.

2 Likes

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by Pentasoft1978: 7:12pm On Apr 10, 2019
If Atiku comes in, he should sell the dam thing called NNPC, that's the source of funding for the cabal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by Ratello: 7:23pm On Apr 10, 2019
budaatum:

Atiku is my own personal fuss. I don't have sufficient confidence that him privatising our goose that lays our golden eggs is a good idea. And neither do I think Nigeria is knowledgeable enough to sell it competently at the moment, nor do I think we Nigerians know enough to allow it to be sold at the moment, and once it's gone, it's gone.

Privatisation is the solution. Just not by Atiku, or yet.

Then you have no point.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by budaatum: 7:32pm On Apr 10, 2019
Ratello:

Then you have no point.
I made my point. You just don't accept it. But that's ok.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by Mace0lane: 7:37pm On Apr 10, 2019
How much profit or loss have been declared by the same NNPC under the 16 years of PDP ? We need the past to judge the present n the future not some utopia Suadi Arabia we never compared ourselves to when PDP ruled ?

Ratello:
*"Privatised Saudi Arabia Aramco Declares $111bn Profits, NNPC Declares Loss Of $1.8b For 2018.
Was Atiku Right or Wrong?"*

"Only Fools Argue With Facts"!

1 Like

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by City001: 8:25pm On Apr 10, 2019
Genuine privatisation of some Nigerian public institutions and agencies is a panacea for improved quality service delivery, privatisation is not completely bad it is the evil and slow minded individuals that are kicking against it,
The same issue with the security situations in the country, the creation of state police will drastically reduce all this attack on the life and property of the innocent citizens, I must say that posterity will punish those who are always speaking against this important aspect of development because this are the real enemy of our dear country.

1 Like

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by bluefilm: 6:48am On Apr 11, 2019
Pentasoft1978:
If Atiku comes in, he should sell the dam thing called NNPC, that's the source of funding for the cabal.

You mean if atiku comes in in 2023, right? grin

Jokers everywhere. cool
Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by budaatum: 6:44pm On Apr 12, 2019
City001:
Genuine privatisation of some Nigerian public institutions and agencies is a panacea for improved quality service delivery, privatisation is not completely bad it is the evil and slow minded individuals that are kicking against it,
The same issue with the security situations in the country, the creation of state police will drastically reduce all this attack on the life and property of the innocent citizens, I must say that posterity will punish those who are always speaking against this important aspect of development because this are the real enemy of our dear country.
I saw your post on IEPCL, anonimi, and researched it but I don't believe Atiku can Genuinely privatise Nigerian public institutions, and one swan ain't cutting this. I need to see flocks of swans.

There will come a time in the future when we might have to raise up our voices to sell nnpc, but I'm certain most wouldn't want Buhari to sell it now, for one reason or another. Or would you?
Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by CodeTemplar: 6:53pm On Apr 12, 2019
Ratello:
*"Privatised Saudi Arabia Aramco Declares $111bn Profits, NNPC Declares Loss Of $1.8b For 2018.
Was Atiku Right or Wrong?"*

"Only Fools Argue With Facts"!
Oga the root of the NNPC failure is our structure. What do you think will happen when an incompetent private firm wins the bid to run it like our power sector discos?
SAUDI ARABIA didn't just work out because it was privately managed but because they are united and gave it to competent fellows to manage.

1 Like

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by anonimi: 5:02am On Apr 15, 2019
budaatum:

I saw your post on IEPCL, anonimi, and researched it but I don't believe Atiku can Genuinely privatise Nigerian public institutions, and one swan ain't cutting this. I need to see flocks of swans.

There will come a time in the future when we might have to raise up our voices to sell nnpc, but I'm certain most wouldn't want Buhari to sell it now, for one reason or another. Or would you?

Yes, I would.
Which of the countries where Nigerians are running away to in droves, risking death in the Sahara desert and Mediterranean Sea has its government owning the equivalent of NNPC?
Why not if not
If you are a responsible parent and your child is always going to spend time with your neighbours, won't you find out what is the attraction and try to replicate it so your child stays home to develop your heritage?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2

todaynewsreview:
The bodies of at least 74 migrants have been washed ashore in western Libya, in the latest tragedy along the dangerous trafficking route to Europe. The Libyan Red Crescent posted photos of dozens of bodies in black and white bags lined up along the shore near the western city of Zawiya.
A spokesman for the aid organisation said there were still bodies floating out at sea as the agency had no way of retrieving them. He said the migrants were all adults, mostly from sub-Saharan African countries, and all but three were men.
The UN migration agency, the International Organisation of Migration (IOM), said the dinghy had set off on Saturday with 110 people on board. The agency said traffickers deliberately took the engines from the boat and then abandoned it to drift.

http://www.todaynewsreview.com/p/3051/tragedy-bodies-of-migrants-wash-ashore-en-route-europe-photo

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4901723_z1_jpegff7a94c52111caf03b4bc410211e9b89

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by anonimi: 5:10am On Apr 15, 2019
CodeTemplar:
Oga the root of the NNPC failure is our structure. What do you think will happen when an incompetent private firm wins the bid to run it like our power sector discos?
SAUDI ARABIA didn't just work out because it was privately managed but because they are united and gave it to competent fellows to manage.

The incompetent firm will run losses until it goes bankrupt and some smart guy will buy to turn it around into profitability.
Are there not banks that have been dealt with in a similar manner
Oceanic, for example!

2 Likes

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by budaatum: 10:45am On Apr 15, 2019
anonimi:

Yes, I would.
Which of the countries where Nigerians are running away to in droves, risking death in the Sahara desert and Mediterranean Sea has its government owning the equivalent of NNPC?
Why not if not
If you are a responsible parent and your child is always going to spend time with your neighbours, won't you find out what is the attraction and try to replicate it so your child stays home to develop your heritage?

[im]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/4916464_img1218_jpeg869064c69e3965560ae57d6aeb37a7f2[/img]

Some countries are way more advanced than Nigeria. Just see how UK handles willing to secede Scotland, or its own secession from Europe. You might want to copy your neighbours, but make sure you have your neighbour's skills and abilities first.
Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by anonimi: 3:58pm On Apr 15, 2019
budaatum:
Some countries are way more advanced than Nigeria. Just see how UK handles willing to secede Scotland, or its own secession from Europe. You might want to copy your neighbours, but make sure you have your neighbour's skills and abilities first.

Part of copying your neighbours is the development of the skills and abilities that he has to be ahead of you. Is that not what Singapore, South Korea, China, India etc have done/are doing steadily while we blacks are chopping the life of our head in misery

2 Likes

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by CodeTemplar: 5:43pm On Apr 15, 2019
anonimi:

The incompetent firm will run losses until it goes bankrupt and some smart guy will buy to turn it around into profitability.

Are there not banks that have been dealt with in a similar manner
Oceanic, for example!
if the smart guy couldn't get it deservedly the first time what do you think will make him get at the second bid? You just speculating that the owner will be a competent one, the chances of that is very slim and even when it materializes, the power that be can always frustrate or bend him a little.

1 Like

Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by budaatum: 6:03pm On Apr 15, 2019
anonimi:

Part of copying your neighbours is the development of the skills and abilities that he has to be ahead of you. Is that not what Singapore, South Korea, China, India etc have done/are doing steadily while we blacks are chopping the life of our head in misery
We need to copy a lot more before we copy privatisation of our most important asset is my opinion. Singapore, South Korea, China and India sure did (though they appear to have not copied religion as we have done!). I wouldn't even want bubu to privatise nnpc now despite my support for him! I just have this fear, irrational perhaps, that we'd make a mess of it so I'd rather not take the chance. We should go study why Saudi Arabia withdrew the privatisation of their nnpc, at least, and the history of privatisation in those countries that have.
Re: Was Atiku Right Or Wrong On Privatising NNPC? by budaatum: 11:28am On Apr 16, 2019
anonimi:

It is indeed what those countries you mentioned did. China started in the 70s, now see where they are. But they did not just "copy" the west! They studied the west over many years and took what was good for them and dumped the rest. Nigeria, on the other hand, would most likely invite the west to come do it for us instead of learning and implementing the good bits ourself.

Let's start learning for now. We can start with nnpc university. In 10 years time, we'd be able to run our nnpc as best as it can be run and it might even evolve into a nuclear company.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari "Private" UK Visit, Border Closure, Conspiracy Against Naija / Buhari Has An Attitude Problem - Punch Newspaper / Female Officers Of Nigeria Immigration Service Get Query For Indecent Exposure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.