Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,632 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:16 PM

Knowledge Is A Double Edged Sword. With It, Comes A Great Responsibility. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Knowledge Is A Double Edged Sword. With It, Comes A Great Responsibility. (291 Views)

Curiosity: The Double Edged Sword / Why Knowledge Is Power (picture) / There Comes A Time When You Have To Stop Crossing Oceans For People Who Wouldn't (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Knowledge Is A Double Edged Sword. With It, Comes A Great Responsibility. by nas4q(m): 2:58pm On Apr 10, 2019
My innate self is built around the search for knowledge. I belong to the school of thought that believes knowledge can be found even in places least expected. It patrols itself in areas where we may never look. It manifests in individuals who we might think are not worthy of it. I wake up everyday looking for something new to learn. To me knowledge means everything. That which I am not familiar with. That elusive image. That thought that springs rapidly from the mind. That which we don't know.

The lifestyle of ever seeking has its consequences. He who seeks for knowledge tends to build a knowledge bank. This according to one of the laws of thermodynamics, Energy can neither be created nor destroyed but converted from one form to the other. Knowledge can be seen as a mental energy. He who attains much knowledge needs to impart same to people so as to keep him sane.

It is in this light I have extended a helping hand to as many people that comes my way. I have met a lot of youth that possess smartphones but most of the time underuse the devices. I have connected several of them to secured WiFi connections in several locations in Ikeja. The quest for knowledge had taken me to a height where I decode WiFi hotspots passwords and connect individuals that I feel it will be of great help to.

I was a Science student in secondary school, I developed pure love for Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. While my mates were sticking to the regular syllabus I had gone beyond the classroom lessons to cover A-level courses in those subjects. I taught myself A'level Biology and would often expantiate on topics not covered in schools. I had lots of luxurious textbooks. At the time, all that was in my mind was to acquire knowledge without borders. I know places where I get the Textbooks at the lowest price possible, sometimes even at cost close to zero. I grew a personal library in a nuclear family devoid of intellectuals. At SS2, I was already solving differential and integral calculus. I made a light work of Binary operations and also explored lots of complex topics in Chemistry. I had taken my first and final UME exams at SS2 with a score of 258 in 2004. I was the first student in my school to write the exam and pass it at first attempt. I wrote WASSCE and NECO SSCE the same year and got eight credits in each of them.

I made a huge error of judgement by choosing to read MBBS medicine and BSc. Human Physiology. I had been fascinated by the complex nature of the human body and sought to learn and become an authority in the matters that concern the human body. My research tells me Physiology answers all my quest to explore the human body but what I would later learn is the opportunities it will expose me to. I read and completed the course.

In my service year, I discovered I am more suited to lecturing because my whole understanding of knowledge is to explain complex topics in a simple easy to understand language that aids mastery. When once a topic is mastered, and you as a teacher is charged with the responsibility of teaching a topic, your focus will be on mastery. You will layout the aims, the objectives and teaching itself in such a way the students enjoy the class. Knowledge itself does not exist in isolation, there is a connectivity between topics and I discovered it is the responsibility of the teacher to build the tempo from a stage of familiarity to a stage where new concepts are introduced and integrated to the final picture. This helps understanding and mastery of topics.
In my NYSC, I was posted to a government secondary school to teach Integrated Science and Chemistry. My experience teaching these topics were one of the best moments I've ever had. The students looked up to every lesson with enthusiasm and partook in every class activity we had. I laid much emphasis on the need to understand the concept from the basics and use this knowledge as a stepping stone to digest other topics. This somehow motivated the students to seek knowledge not only for the purpose of passing examinations but for the sake of the knowledge itself.

After my service year, I had applied to several schools to teach but each time I never got any response. I had gone on to work in some organisations like Ikeja electric, XT monitors and IROKOTV. My joy really lies in teaching and imparting knowledge to students. I am passionately soliciting for the opportunity to be one of your teachers on trial to see if I can be of any benefit to your school. I am willing to serve on a volunteer basis. At the end of the volunteer period we can reach an agreement.
Thank you for helping me realise my dream to serve.

Yours faithfully,
Nasiru Zakariyau.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is NSCDC Office In Festac Area Of Lagos? / One Killed, Two Injured In Accident On Lagos/abeokuta Expressway / Admission! Admission!! Admission!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.