Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,693 members, 7,816,834 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria (3068 Views)

Can I Cancel My Resignation In A Federal Government Institution? / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Obinna Ebirim, Doctor Works As Kitchen Assistant In UK To Make Extra Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Nwaada: 4:39pm On Apr 10, 2019
Hello All,

I finished university in 2014, finished serving in 2015. I’d gone back to my alma mater to apply for Graduate assistant position as I made a first class. They kept going back and forth until I took another offer(not lecturing) after few months of waiting.

I just got an offer to join this same University today as a graduate assistant.

I make roughly 500k at my current work place. I also love lecturing but would want to go back after I have made money.

Has anyone been in this type of situation?
What would you do?
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by clementbiola(m): 5:08pm On Apr 10, 2019
Define what make you happy and follow your mind.
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by clive2u(m): 5:09pm On Apr 10, 2019
leave the job at ur own peril.
you'll teach as long as you want when u are dead.

in heaven or hell so stay and chop ur money
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Nzeodogwu(m): 5:17pm On Apr 10, 2019
Hey! Don't even pick any call from your alma mater.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by lilmax(m): 5:23pm On Apr 10, 2019
teach when you're done with making money from your current job

2 Likes

Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by being(m): 8:27pm On Apr 10, 2019
seriously is this a Quest ion?

but anyways i get the part of having a flair.

so i would say you can do a masters and teach on a part time basis.

Is your work related to your course?
what did you study?
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by amidel(m): 10:12pm On Apr 10, 2019
clementbiola:
Define what make you happy and follow your mind.

Follow this advice.

1 Like

Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Nwaada: 10:48pm On Apr 10, 2019
being:
seriously is this a Quest ion?

but anyways i get the part of having a flair.

so i would say you can do a masters and teach on a part time basis.

Is your work related to your course?
what did you study?

Yes, I am a software engineer
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by lmuhopeful: 12:49pm On Apr 12, 2019
Nwaada:
Hello All,

I finished university in 2014, finished serving in 2015. I’d gone back to my alma mater to apply for Graduate assistant position as I made a first class. They kept going back and forth until I took another offer(not lecturing) after few months of waiting.

I make roughly 500k at my current work place. I also love lecturing but would want to go back after I have made money.

What would you do?

Bro/Sis, I beg you in the name of whatever you worship, do not take the lecturing job. On the financial side, you will never get paid enough. You will earn something that is likely 5 times less than your current salary. There are no extra perks to compensate the low salary. Your salary will sometimes be delayed. You are used to a particular lifestyle right now and all that will have to end when you take the lecturing job.

On an intellectual note, you seem like a smart person considering you managed to get a first class. If you are so passionate abbout lecturing, I suggest you apply for an MSc/Phd in USA, Canada, Australia or somewhere in Europe. During your Phd you will teach undergraduate and MSc classes like I currently do. After the PhD, if you have published good work, you will be able to search for tenure-track positions at universities worldwide. Universities where you will be paid healthily. Universities where you will have access to numerous government research grants. You will recruit your own PhD students and you will mentor and lecture undergraduates and graduates alike. All these you can never do in Nigeria.

At the end of it all, if you end up as a lecturer in Nigria, you will have to kiss the asses of your superiors just to get anything done, you will have no access to funding, you will likely never publish any useful research work and you won't earn enough money. Money is important.

Please stay at your job and move abroad to obtain a PhD if you are so passionate about lecturing. If for any reason you lecture in Nigeria, it should be at those specialized postgraduate institutes like the AUST in Abuja or somewhere like that. Not any fucking federal university. Good luck

5 Likes

Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Chynwe(f): 2:13pm On Apr 12, 2019
lmuhopeful:

Bro/Sis, I beg you in the name of whatever you worship, do not take the lecturing job. On the financial side, you will never get paid enough. You will earn something that is likely 5 times less than your current salary. There are no extra perks to compensate the low salary. Your salary will sometimes be delayed. You are used to a particular lifestyle right now and all that will have to end when you take the lecturing job.

On an intellectual note, you seem like a smart person considering you managed to get a first class. If you are so passionate abbout lecturing, I suggest you apply for an MSc/Phd in USA, Canada, Australia or somewhere in Europe. During your Phd you will teach undergraduate and MSc classes like I currently do. After the PhD, if you have published good work, you will be able to search for tenure-track positions at universities worldwide. Universities where you will be paid healthily. Universities where you will have access to numerous government research grants. You will recruit your own PhD students and you will mentor and lecture undergraduates and graduates alike. All these you can never do in Nigeria.

At the end of it all, if you end up as a lecturer in Nigria, you will have to kiss the asses of your superiors just to get anything done, you will have no access to funding, you will likely never publish any useful research work and you won't earn enough money. Money is important.

Please stay at your job and move abroad to obtain a PhD if you are so passionate about lecturing. If for any reason you lecture in Nigeria, it should be at those specialized postgraduate institutes like the AUST in Abuja or somewhere like that. Not any fucking federal university. Good luck
I totally agree with this advice and this should be your best bet. When I left banking job for a GA job in a Federal University , it wasn't easy. The pay of a GA is a little above 100k.@op,i think you will be fulfilled if you go by this advice. @lmuhopeful, please if you come across any professor over there recruiting PhD mathematics students, kindly let me know. I really need something different from the PhD I am doing in my University right now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by sapphire0: 7:10am On Apr 19, 2019
[quote author=lmuhopeful post=77480753]

/quote]hi
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by sapphire0: 7:14am On Apr 19, 2019
@lmuhopeful, I considering applying for MSC in physics at LMU Munich for the winter semester. Will like know hear advice about the visa application, German language learning, application to the etc. Thanks

lmuhopeful:

Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:54pm On Apr 19, 2019
Nwaada:
Hello All,

What would you do?

Please stick to your job. As a graduate assistant you earn less infact an associate prof may not earn that amount. If you insist on teaching, organize a tutorial centre where it fetches money and the same thing impact knowledge.
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by abdeiz(m): 8:07am On Apr 21, 2019
Why do I feel this OP is a fake, you said you had a first class and a simple enough decision like this is giving you problems.
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Japhet31: 5:32pm On Apr 20, 2020
abdeiz:
Why do I feel this OP is a fake, you said you had a first class and a simple enough decision like this is giving you problems.

He may not be fake....and I can totally relate with the Op's condition..... it's not strange at all....
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Japhet31: 5:56pm On Apr 20, 2020
Nwaada:
Hello All,

What would you do?

please lets talk
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Nwaada: 6:39pm On Apr 20, 2020
abdeiz:

Lol...what do I gain from making a fake post?
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by abdeiz(m): 11:22pm On Apr 20, 2020
Nwaada:

Lol...what do I gain from making a fake post?
Okay glad to hear so, although I am curious to what decision you made?
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Nwaada: 4:27pm On Apr 09, 2021
abdeiz:

Okay glad to hear so, although I am curious to what decision you made?

Continued with the job. Currently pursuing my masters in the US.

2 Likes

Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by VTJN(m): 2:30pm On Apr 11, 2021
lmuhopeful:

please sir can you help with institution accepting MSc students?

Though didn't graduate with first class, a 2.1 with 4.3CGPA

Thanks in anticipation!
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by VTJN(m): 2:34pm On Apr 11, 2021
Nwaada:

Continued with the job. Currently pursuing my masters in the US.
please sir can you help with schools accepting students for MSc?

I had a 2.1 with 4.3CGPA

I'm out of job and hope to find something doing

Thanks in anticipation!
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by nogames: 2:01pm On Apr 12, 2021
abdeiz:
he may not be fake, but he didn't tell us the condition of his present working place.. My total take home is almost around that figure but if I see federal Job of 250k I will jump to it.
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Nwaada: 4:45pm On May 08, 2021
VTJN:
please sir can you help with schools accepting students for MSc?

I had a 2.1 with 4.3CGPA

I'm out of job and hope to find something doing

Thanks in anticipation!

You can look at the thread
https://www.nairaland.com/6354180/general-usa-student-visa-enquiries-part/43#99379997
Re: N500k Job Or Graduate Assistant In A Federal University In Nigeria by Nwaada: 4:46pm On May 08, 2021
nogames:
he may not be fake, but he didn't tell us the condition of his present working place.. My total take home is almost around that figure but if I see federal Job of 250k I will jump to it.

I’m a female.
I was working as a software engineer in a bank.

(1) (Reply)

Cima Or Cips Which Way / What Does Actuarial Science Entail? / When Is The Nigerian Army Dssc List Coming Out ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.