Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,097 members, 7,852,705 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:43 AM

We've Taken Too Much Bashing, Says Ringim: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We've Taken Too Much Bashing, Says Ringim: (512 Views)

Biafra: Igbos Want To Reconolize South-South-waziri Ringim / Home Of Former IGP, Hafiz-Ringim Bombed / Hafiz Ringim Seeks Asylum In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

We've Taken Too Much Bashing, Says Ringim: by MRMoneyE(m): 3:00am On Sep 14, 2010
[b]ACTING Inspector-General of Police Hafiz Ringim assumed office Monday, warning his men to steer clear of partisan politics.

Ringim, who noted that the nation is facing challenges in the build-up to next year's general elections, urged police commissioners to sit up and give Nigerians the best.

His words: "You are now aware that in the next three months we shall have our elections according to the timetable of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Shortly, we shall commence the process of electioneering campaigns, the primaries of the parties and the rest of the political activities proper and it is my sincere advice and counsel, especially for those commissioners that hold command responsibilities, that they sit up and face the situation squarely.

"Mr. President has on a number of occasions made the pronouncement of a free and fair election. I sincerely and honestly agree with him that what this nation needs is a free and fair election for us to move forward.

"The police is at the centre of most of these activities and I seize this opportunity and request as well as direct and instruct that this, I don't want to call it regime, I want to call it administration, this leadership would not allow for any partisanship of any police officer in any political activities.

"Therefore, that I would like to seize this opportunity and warn that officers and men that have anything to do with any political party's activities must be careful and cautious. We have gone through a lot of allegations and complaints and this is not the time when we will drag our names in the mud.

"In line with the wishes and instructions and the directives of the Commander- in- Chief, we must all be able to provide a level-playing ground for all political participants as well as the political parties".

Ringim thanked his predecessor, Ogbonna Onovo and the out-going former Deputy Inspectors- General (DIGs) for their efforts in combating crime and criminality across the nation.

"We cannot but praise the last police administration for the efforts they put in, in spite of the numerous hurdles they had to cross. We can only praise their vision and we intend to look at what effort they have put, what problems they faced, what obstacles they had to cross and what impediments they had to come through and promise to rededicate ourselves to make sure that where changes are necessary, we shall make them, where difficulties are found we shall surmount them, where stubbornness is met we shall attempt to demolish them."

Ringim is confident that the police are capable of living up to expectation in spite of the challenges confronting them, saying, the problems would be surmounted with the assistance of all stakeholders.

He said: "Like Mr. Onovo has said, our nation is facing very difficult times and the police are part and parcel of the nation. Our nation cannot suffer without the police suffering and I know God willing, with the assistance of you and the remaining senior officers here and the necessary cooperation that they will give us, the assistance and help that the Federal Government will ensure come in more handy than before we shall definitely overcome."

The Police chief lamented the high rate of kidnapping in the Southeast and warned the policemen in charge of the area to sit up.

His words: "Sadly, you are aware of the menace of kidnapping particularly in the Southeast. I want to seize this opportunity and warn the operatives and operators, the leadership and the followers of policemen and women in that region that they must sit up.

"The armed robbery being committed along some of our major roads must certainly be minimised. The corrupt tendencies of some of our personnel, particularly those on the check points must also stop. This and such other vices are the ones that have caused the members of the public to lose faith in us. We will be doing our very best like the former Inspector-General of Police has said that there are two things that have continuously dragged our name in the mud.

"The leadership of this service that would be sooner inaugurated will definitely face squarely this menace and in the shortest possible time eradicate it. We have the police reforms ahead of us, we intend to, as a matter of urgency, do the best that we can to implement the white paper to the letter. We will not give room for any complaints from any quarters in our police activities.

"I also want to say that the former IGP used to say that you cannot make omelette without breaking eggs and so without wanting to threaten anybody, without wanting to sound anything apart from civil, we have to make omelette and we have to break eggs and so if you don't want to be part of that omelette, don't allow yourself to be broken because the police have taken too much bashing.

"It is something that we can collectively redeem. The police are one of the oldest organisations in this country and it is supposed to be the best. We have seen how various outfits have been carved out of the Nigeria Police Force.

"That is the prerogative of government and over the years we have also allowed the government by giving them reason to do that. This administration would not allow for any reason for government to think of further clipping the size or the number of the outfit of the police. I want to assure you that we will be honest, straightforward and just.[/b]

Re: We've Taken Too Much Bashing, Says Ringim: by MRMoneyE(m): 3:03am On Sep 14, 2010
The police should play their constitutional role well, and not be an enemy of the state then you recieve less bashing

(1) (Reply)

A Warm Welcome! / Halliburton: I Have No Case To Answer –atiku / Dele Momodu Applies As Lp Presidential Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.