Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,651 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria (15441 Views)

Gay Content In Hollywood Movies And Its Effect On Nigeria / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. / Top Ten Movies That Make You Cry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 10:04pm On Jan 14, 2006
What movies have you seen that was shot in Nigeria?

Here are a few I've seen:

TEARS OF THE SUN - Bruce Willis
SAHARA - Matthew McConaughey
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by omon(m): 10:18pm On Jan 14, 2006
I do not think Tears of the sun was shot in Nigeria... I can't remember the location but you can check the Nigerian embassy (washington) website for more information.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by layi(m): 10:38pm On Jan 14, 2006
Lets not sing "eureka" just yet.

Tears Of The Sun portrayed Nigeria in a bad light despite the fact that none of its scenries was shot in Nigeria. It was shot in the jungle regions of Hawaii.  It depicted Nigeria as a rebel war-torn battle zone. The last time such happed in Nigeria was during the Civil war. In the movie, they even said Nigeria was in Central Africa. Haba!
The only thing diff was that i heard our local Language. That made me proud anyway but it was shortlived since the entire picture depicted was a bad Nigeria.

The only movie i am proud of is Critical Assignment. A film of international standard (hollywood quality) which also featured Nigerian stars like RMD and Bukky Ajayi. I saw shots taken in places like LUTH, Yaba etc and i was like  shocked shocked. They were superb shots. I saw a better Nigeria cheesy
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 10:58pm On Jan 14, 2006
Anything that depicts Africa as a jungle is better welcomed by western media.  The fact is we're to blame for this kind of image.  If we were a progressive continent, a matrix of solid R&D like Asia, we won't get this kind of demeaning portrayal.

I'll watch Critical Assignment to see what it's about.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by queen2(f): 11:02pm On Jan 14, 2006
The only movie i am proud of is Critical Assignment. A film of international standard (hollywood quality) which also featured Nigerian stars like RMD and Bukky Ajayi. I saw shots taken in places like LUTH, Yaba etc and i was like shocked shocked. They were superb shots. I saw a better Nigeria cheesy

[quote][/quote]

oh yes the movie was superb. cheesy
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 1:36am On Jan 15, 2006
oasis:

SAHARA - Matthew McConaughey

I CAN'T Belive you thought that place WAS actually lagos? Do those people sound nigerian to you? Even the igbo man they called in the begining.. the one lying on the bed and sick. HE was not nigerian... the name was nigerian.. but the woman that called the name spoiled it. It was "azikwe" i think. And she just spoiled the name. That place was sooo not nigerian.

I'll have to go with critical assignment. Didn't see it tho... but i heard they used some real places in nigeria.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 4:20am On Jan 15, 2006
I CAN'T Belive you thought that place WAS actually lagos?

Does it really matter?
Should we condemn say, every movie about Jesus Christ, simply because Hollywood wasn't there on site to shoot it?
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by layi(m): 5:58am On Jan 15, 2006
Jesus is no longer with us (physically). They can't get an exact replica of his times.

But Nigeria is still here and intact. Why can't they shoot it in nigeria? Films showcasing Nigeria should be shot in Nigeria.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by owo2390(m): 6:25am On Jan 15, 2006
They couldn't Shoot Tears of the sun in Nigeria because the crew weren't allow to get out of the United States. The 9/11 terrorists attack was recent at the time of the shooting of the film, and for the crew's safety they were told not to travel outside the United States. That's the reason it was shot in Hawaii.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by hotangel2(f): 6:34am On Jan 15, 2006
We are talking about SAHARA. It's a new movie. No 9/11
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by owo2390(m): 6:37am On Jan 15, 2006
my bad!
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by chillin(f): 7:33am On Jan 15, 2006
hey Oasis do u mean movies/shows filmed, or has a reference 2 Nigeria?

aight Sahara, which i really don't think it waz shot in Nigeria
Lost(series),
Commander in chief(show),
Tears of d sun,
Dirty Pretty Things as well as sum otherz had little or more references to Nigeria

@queen2 yeahh u rite Critical Assignment waz good
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 4:39am On Jan 16, 2006
Why can't they shoot it in nigeria? Films showcasing Nigeria should be shot in Nigeria.

Cost mostly.
You have to fly all the experts, all the equipments, provide electricity, accommodation, food, healthcare (medical doctors must be flown in), telecommunications.  You have to get security clearance for everybody, for the territory you're moving into.  You have to contend with weather conditions you're probably not used to.  You have to contend with bad roads, personal security, etc.  You have to educate the local residents to gain their co-operation.

By the time you sum up the expenses involved, you'd undertand why shooting a movie offsite is not cost-effective.  Unless there's a compelling reason, why would you throw money down the drain like that?

Hollywood movie-making is not the one-man show you have with Nigerian movies.

1 Like

Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by layi(m): 4:53am On Jan 16, 2006
@oasis

I have watched several hollywood moies that were shot in europeans countries. Hollywood has got the funds. thats not an issue to the exceutive procuders.
Block busters like Tear Of The Sun are bankrolled by companies who can afford the expenses. I guess its more of a security problem than financial.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 7:11pm On Jan 16, 2006
I have watched several hollywood moies that were shot in europeans countries. Hollywood has got the funds. thats not an issue to the exceutive procuders.
Block busters like Tear Of The Sun are bankrolled by companies who can afford the expenses. I guess its more of a security problem than financial.

Hollywood is a for-profit establishment.

You think they just throw money at any ole project without weighing the possibilities of making a profit first? If they did that, they'd be bankrupt in no time.

Making a movie in Europe would cost way less than doing it in Nigeria. The reason is that europe offers more than Nigeria could in terms of power, medical care, security, etc.

It's way less expensive to build a Lagos in Hollywood, than it is to fly all experts into Lagos, Nigeria. As proud as you may be of Nigeria, Hollywood has to make financial decisions.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by omon(m): 7:36pm On Jan 16, 2006
Do you really think it will cheaper to shoot a film in some European countries than in Nigeria?
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 10:13pm On Jan 16, 2006
Do you really think it will cheaper to shoot a film in some European countries than in Nigeria?

Depends on the country.
In Nigeria, you would need power generators, full medical staff must be available, if there's an accident on the set, the actor probably needs to be flown to the USA for medical attention, all film making equipment must be flown in, etc.

There may be no need for these things say in France, England, Spain etc.

But, go ahead and say why you think a Hollywood movie made in Nigeria would be less expensive.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by ijebuman(m): 10:17pm On Jan 16, 2006
Anyone who says 'Sahara' was a 'showcase' for Nigeria was not watching the same film i saw. The producers and directors of the film obviously needed some history and current affairs lessons. The film was littered with so many inaccuracies like people speaking Yoruba in Niger Republic or was it Mali??. The shots of Lagos were also wrong (i don't know what city they used but it was definitely not Lagos).
I wouldn't hold my breath on Hollywood doing a film/TV show that shows a good portrayal of Nigeria or even Africa. The average American will probably not believe it anyway...

Hollywood movies that showcase Nigeria = None

Hollywood movies/TV shows that showcase Nigeria/Nigerians (in bad light) = plenty..

Tears of the sun - portrays Nigeria in civil strife
Sahara - portrays Nigeria as source of pollution that threatens the planet's ecosystem
The Bourne Identity - uses Yoruba as the national language of a fictional African country (with Adewale Agbaje as the leader)
Sugar Hill - Nigerians portrayed as 'yoruba speaking' drug dealers (best part of the film was where Wesley Snipes asks them what 'Akata' meant grin)

Lost (TV series) - crashed drug plane in season one originated from Nigeria
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by Scorpio(f): 4:01am On Jan 17, 2006
i don't fink Sahara was shot in Nigeria, as per d other films...i haven't seen them cool
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:19am On Jan 17, 2006
I liked Tears of the Sun
Though i doubt it is any accurate...They make the Nigerian Army out to be Barbaric!

I heard the Nigerian Government was upset? In the end they cross the border and enter Cameroon...meaning it was about Nigeria
USA was made to look like the hero...Very touching movie, I havnt seen Sahara tho? Is it Any good?
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by omon(m): 4:15pm On Jan 17, 2006
Why is it that the rest of the world cannot make movies that make the USA the bad govt and their millitaries the bad guys. Why can't we have a nollywood movie depicting a Nigerian as a hero who goes on a rescue mission in the US or US army controlled facility?
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by AguNwoke(m): 4:23pm On Jan 17, 2006
hot-angel:

We are talking about SAHARA. It's a new movie. No 9/11

Sahara was not shot in Nigeria.
I think it was East Africa.

The extras looked like Ethiopians, the accents were badly copied, the clothes were not as flamboyant and the slums looked too clean to be Nigerian.  grin

I found it quite insulting that they tried to pass certain location shots off as Nigeria!!!
Only foreigners would be convinced that was Nigeria.

I, like Ijebuman and Scorpio was not fooled.

Nice film though.........
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 4:52pm On Jan 17, 2006
Omon, i wish someone could answer ur question? But Who, who?
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by DoubleRevv(m): 6:05pm On Jan 17, 2006
Tears of the sun: A Classic Case of How Not to Shoot a Movie.
after watching this movie I felt like farting in Bruce Willis' face. so many inaccuracies poor shooting, no depth.  We should ban such movies.
@josboy4Lif; sho
`kaja kaja
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 7:31pm On Jan 17, 2006
poor shooting, no depth. We should ban such movies.

Yes, along with every poor movie made in Nigeria. smiley
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by ijebuman(m): 12:55am On Jan 19, 2006
oasis:

Yes, along with every poor movie made in Nigeria. smiley

'nollywood' might as well shut down grin
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by gentleaura(m): 8:48pm On Jan 21, 2006
I havent seen Tears of the Sun or woteva, but I remembered reading some disclaimer on nigerian embassy in Washington about it.....

But excuse me SAHARA?....Sahara was shot no where near Nigeria at all, even though they made reference to some Nigerian cities but it wasnt shot in Nigeria, I think they used S.A and the deserts of Mali as well. You got to read the credits to get ur facts well...

another movie(s), tht kinda featured West Africa(Nigeria), was the Bourne series...I bet Bourne Identity!
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 7:48am On Jan 22, 2006
Guys, get off the "it wasn't shot in Nigeria" deal. We've heard that a billion times now.
Come up with your own list of movies.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by luciengrey: 6:01pm On Feb 10, 2006
Tears of the sun wasn't shot in Naija,whoever got that idea that it was? And corcerning th bad shootingg of the movie,i haven't seen it so i can't comment .but going by what u said that i should not have ben released,dude, if it comes to that "Nollywood" would not release one singgle movie.From the scripting to the story line it's embasrassing and discouraging, the acting( if you can call it that) is appaling.Nollywood has a very long way to go. Personally i can't stand them cause ,there are so many faults in the movies they release.But so many people sing thir praises that they do not realise ,how much below standard that they are.How many of our movies can make it in Europe or North America.To be completely 100% honest with ourselve, how many of our films can make it at Sundance,Cannes or other film festivals. Sometime i wonder if they even work from scripts or just wing it.They take about a week to shot movies ,yet music videos of about 3-4 minutes an take up to 3 or 4 days to shot,do u sense a problem here.I could ggo on forever analysing the problems in "Nollywood" but i'm use y'all catch my drift.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by Maxflame(m): 9:31pm On Feb 12, 2006
Well not shooting SAHARA in Nigeria is a big deal coz the location used to respresent Nigeria was terrible looking. And that can't represent Nigeria. They prolly didn't want to come over to Nigeria to shoot the movie coz they prolly think it wasn't worth it. Can you remember Matrix reloaded the car chase? the whole highway was a built set, They couldn't get NY to shut down a section of their highway so they built their own. Get the DVD and check out the extra features.
@oasis: feel free to scream spam again. angry
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 9:40pm On Feb 12, 2006
@oasis: feel free to scream spam again.

Ahh, grow up, juvenile mind. People like you are so vindictive, you would to go any lengths to prove your case. And we wonder why Nigeria is always behind. It's because people waste so much time on crap.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by Maxflame(m): 11:42pm On Feb 12, 2006
oasis:

Ahh, grow up, juvenile mind. People like you are so vindictive, you would to go any lengths to prove your case. And we wonder why Nigeria is always behind. It's because people waste so much time on crap.
Really? i had no idea, shocked Its not my fault some dumb ass thinks advice is spam. Firstly you didn't know jack what the person was requesting for and you end up calling people's advice spam. No wonder Nigerians are so backwards. Checked your profile and it was empty cept for a free dating site. Now i know you are a serious mided person who has important stuff to do. wink GEt a job and a life bud and stop saying shit about people you don't know.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SoundCity Vs HipTV: Which Do You Prefer? / 2023 AMVCA 9 Awards (Live Update) / Does DSTV Has Better Picture Quality Than GOTV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.