Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,434 members, 7,830,188 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria (15459 Views)

Gay Content In Hollywood Movies And Its Effect On Nigeria / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. / Top Ten Movies That Make You Cry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 12:24am On Feb 13, 2006
Nigerians!

I could engage in a battle of wits with you, but you don't match up. However, be careful what you wish for. You might just get. At this point, I'm respecting the rules of this forum as a friendly place. Something tells me though you're going to cross a line that'd justify whatever response I dish out.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by Maxflame(m): 3:07am On Feb 13, 2006
Hit me with your best shot.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 1:15am On Mar 02, 2006
http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/tearsofthesun.shtml

The film and Sony webpage painted a very gloomy and dangerous perception of the country's environment, politics and society giving everyone the impression of a jungle inhabited only by savages. The film concorted a Nigerian scenario of violence and civil war dominated by rape, mutilation by machete and child soldiers.

The Embassy strongly condemns this negative portrayal of Nigeria in your film. While your film "Tears of the Sun" is allegedly a fiction, we do not need to remind you that the name Nigeria is not a fiction but a sovereign entity made up of over 120 million proud and hardworking people, some of whom have made tremendous contributions to humanity. The picture painted in your film is definitely not that of the Nigeria the world knows. The Embassy considers the film an abusive portrayal and affront to the dignity and self respect of Nigerians worldwide. To produce a fiction solely on the basis of drive for commercial interest and sacrifice the sensibilities of over 120 million black people is to say the least utterly incomprehensible and most uncharitable.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 1:26am On Mar 02, 2006
Sony Pictures' Response to Open Letter About 'Tears of the Sun'

Dear Ambassador Agada,

Thank you very much for your letters to Sony Pictures and Revolution Studios expressing concern about the motion picture, TEARS OF THE SUN.

We would like to assure you that we have been careful to make certain that all marketing and publicity materials made it clear that the events portrayed in the film were fictional and not fact based, and do no reflect life in modern day Nigeria.

http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/071703_1.shtml
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by DoubleRevv(m): 12:24pm On Mar 03, 2006
oasis:

http://www.nigeriaembassyusa.org/tearsofthesun.shtml

The film and Sony webpage painted a very gloomy and dangerous perception of the country's environment, politics and society giving everyone the impression of a jungle inhabited only by savages. The film concorted a Nigerian scenario of violence and civil war dominated by rape, mutilation by machete and child soldiers.

well with the way things are now in Nija I can almost agree with what I watched.I have a genuine concern. I dont knw what our generation would do to Nigeria. will we remain divided or will we unite. God bless me!

Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by afrobeat: 4:19pm On Mar 30, 2006
Neither of those movies were shot in Nigeria.
Tears of the Sun was shot in Hawaii

The issue is that if you are a film maker you would want to make a movie that was a s believable as possible. None of those movies were believable because of their inaccuracies. Bad custumes, accents, location, everything. Other nationalities complain when they makes movies about them that are inaccurate. Therefore we can and should complain about these movies that suppossedly portray Nigeria if they are inaccurate.

Anyway, Mr Johnson was a pretty good movie. It had a Nigerian setting and Nigerian actors. Pierce Brosnan was in it. It is kinda old though.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by afrobeat: 5:07pm On Mar 30, 2006
oasis

Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria
« #3 on: January 14, 2006, 10:58 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything that depicts Africa as a jungle is better welcomed by western media. The fact is we're to blame for this kind of image. If we were a progressive continent, a matrix of solid R&grin like Asia, we won't get this kind of demeaning portrayal.

I'll watch Critical Assignment to see what it's about.

Report to moderator Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.oasisoflove.com/ - 100% FREE Online Dating.

To Oasis:
The Media will do whatever they want with the information they have. You wrote that If we were a progressive continent, a matrix of solid R&grin like Asia, we won't get this kind of demeaning portrayal

I absolutely disagree. First of all there are countries in Asia that are worse that Nigeria check out the facts about Uzbekistan, Kyrgyztan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Laos, Nepal and others. These countries are not better than Nigeria. In some respects we are even far ahead of them. There are about 130 million Nigerians in the world, people come across us all the time. Everyone knows some one from Nigeria. If you are making a film about an African country, You want people to relate to the movie so you will choose to use a country that people are most likely to identify with so why not choose Nigeria. We are arguably the most known African country in the world.
The western media chooses to portray us the way they do because we are easy prey. Yes granted that if African countries were better they would have less material to work with. But there are worse countries than us but nobody picks on them the way the pick on Nigeria. There are countries in the Caribbean that are wack. But everyone thinks the Caribbean is all nice and dainty. Even sef Oprah did a show which showed that there were 30 million Americans living in poverty (i.e. third world conditions). The population of Ghana is 21,029,853 but yet Ghana is thought by the west to be a backward country and America is the greatest country.

Mate, don't believe the western media, don't believe the hype.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 10:30pm On Mar 30, 2006
You can choose to see things the way you want, just as I choose to see it the way I want. There is no yes or no answer here.

I maintain that if we were progressive, more respect would be accorded us than we currently receive.

I don't see the point of all the countries you mentioned. Who said that the western media respects Uzbekistan, Kyrgyztan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Laos, Nepal, than they do Nigeria? That statement is baseless.

South Africa is ahead of Nigeria technologically. Therefore they receive more respect in the west.

The only reason that the carribean is visited so much is that the crime rate is lower than say in Nigeria, and also because they're an island. White people love the water. As soon as crime rate begins to rise, tourists would flee from the carribean.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by ijebuman(m): 12:30am On Mar 31, 2006
oasis:

The only reason that the carribean is visited so much is that the crime rate is lower than say in Nigeria, and also because they're an island. White people love the water. As soon as crime rate begins to rise, tourists would flee from the carribean.
not too sure about that

Jamaica has had one of the highest murder rates in the world for years--ranking third after South Africa and Brazil in the latest U.N. estimates--despite its reputation as a happy-go-lucky island of sun, sand and reggae. But the latest spasm is viewed as a particularly acute symptom of the seemingly intractable problems that darken the future of this nation of 2.6 million people.
http://www.nisat.org/murder%20madness%20in%20jamaica.htm
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 1:01am On Mar 31, 2006
I think those murders occur in the ghettos, far from where visitors roam. Same thing with Mexico where Americans visit quite frequently. But what part of Nigeria would you consider safe for tourists?
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by afrobeat: 4:03pm On Mar 31, 2006
oasis:

I think those murders occur in the ghettos, far from where visitors roam. Same thing with Mexico where Americans visit quite frequently. But what part of Nigeria would you consider safe for tourists?

Although Lagos is chaotic and so are some other states in Nigeria but I am sure that there are states in Naija that are safe for tourists like Calabar.
And if tourists in Nigeria suffer crimes, I know that majority of it is most likely robbing and not murders.
I can't find the stats right now but I won't be surprised if a Caribbean country has more tourist murders than Nigeria http://www.cdnn.info/news/travel/t051013.html

The reason why I said you should check out these countries (Uzbekistan, Kyrgyztan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Laos, Nepal, ) is because you said this If we were a progressive continent, a matrix of solid R&grin like Asia, we won't get this kind of demeaning portrayal which implied that all of Asia was a matrix of solid R&grin. My point there was that not all of Asia is a Matrix of Solid R&grin. In the same way not all of Africa is a matrix of disaster; a point which you proved when you said that SA is technologically advanced. However there are some good things that come out of our country but the western media hardly ever carries it, but as soon as something bad happens then it is all over the western news

oasis:

You can choose to see things the way you want, just as I choose to see it the way I want. There is no yes or no answer here.

Don't you think this is a cop-out.

This is a discussion where everybody brings their own input and backs it up with evidence. If your point is more logical then I will accept it, if mine is more logical then you should at least try to accept it. I don't think that as people we should be choosing to see things anyway we wish even if there are other points that are more logical than ours.

oasis:

I don't think so

Domenic Ianiero, 59, and his wife Nancy, 55, were found with their throats slashed in their hotel room at a luxury resort near Playa del Carmen on Feb. 20.

The couple, from Woodbridge, Ont., were in Mexico along with several family members for their daughter's wedding.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060310/timeline_ianiero_060310/20060313/

This murder happened this year 2006
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by oasis: 9:22pm On Mar 31, 2006
However there are some good things that come out of our country but the western media hardly ever carries it, but as soon as something bad happens then it is all over the western news

The reason Africa is ignored is that Africa is dormant.  Most newsworthy events don't just get to the media, you have to send out press releases.  Do you people do that?  Your presidents and ministers have to challenge the international media.  Controversial issues have to come out of you for the world to notice you.  Start a nuclear program, discover something new that revolutionizes the way things are done now, etc.

One proof of Africa's dormancy is this: there is a telecommunications regulation in the books that says people should pay for long distance calls according to the economic means in that country.  That regulation is not enforced in Africa.  You are charged international rates.  You're taken advantage of because you don't know how to get in the news.

So don't tell me the media is ignoring you.  The fact is, you don't know how to sell yourself, or you are suffering from inferiority complex to the point that challenging the "white man" scares you to death.

This murder happened this year 2006

I don't see what this proves.  Of course murders are going to occur now and then.  Who said it never does.  The fact is that the Carribean is a safer vacation spot than Nigeria, or the world wouldn't be vacationing there.  The fact is that most tourists love being around water, which the Carribean has an abundance of.

Don't you think this is a cop-out.

This is a discussion where everybody brings their own input and backs it up with evidence. If your point is more logical then I will accept it, if mine is more logical then you should at least try to accept it. I don't think that as people we should be choosing to see things anyway we wish even if there are other points that are more logical than ours.

Again, see this issue the way you want.  Not every issue is in black and white.  Sometimes, you just have to stick to your opinion, since there is no yes or no answer.

For example, if you say Abuja is the capital of Nigeria.  That is incontrovertible.  But if you say England is better than Canada, then I just have to leave you to your opinion.  It's not a matter of being logical or illogical, it's just an opinion.

The reason why I said you should check out these countries (Uzbekistan, Kyrgyztan, Mongolia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Laos, Nepal, ) is because you said this If we were a progressive continent, a matrix of solid R&grin like Asia, we won't get this kind of demeaning portrayal which implied that all of Asia was a matrix of solid R&grin. My point there was that not all of Asia is a Matrix of Solid R&grin. In the same way not all of Africa is a matrix of disaster; a point which you proved when you said that SA is technologically advanced. However there are some good things that come out of our country but the western media hardly ever carries it, but as soon as something bad happens then it is all over the western news

You're still not saying a thing.  Uzbekistan, Kyrgyztan, Mongolia are ignored as much as Nigeria is.  So how does it prove your point?  Pakistan has a lot of attention for many reasons.  Bin Laden is believe to be hiding out there.  Pakistan has a nuclear program.  The US uses Pakistan as a base in that region.  Do you now see why they're getting attention?  What are you doing in Africa that is noteworthy?  Give me a few examples.

I don't think so

Again, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it.  My belief is that if tourists are slaughtered in the Carribean at the rate that you would have me believe, they won't be flocking to that destination to vacation.  Unless of course, you're saying that somehow tourists are spared of the realities of the region, which would make no sense to me whatsoever.

Your argument about the Carribean is completely a waste of time. Read about the West Indies, and about Nigeria on this page:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1231.html

Also, with the recent wave of religious disturbances / kidnappings in Nigeria, do you think that is a good message being sent to tourists about Nigeria?

I could go on and on, but nothing would convince you it seems.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by Oracle(m): 3:44am On Jul 12, 2006
I heard about that movie TEARS OF THE SUN of the sun from a friend but he said they actually had some scenes in NIGERIA. I didn't believe him, but i guess iv confirmed now

Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by QueenChoco(f): 1:39am On Mar 16, 2010
You guys also forgot another movie, PHAT GIRLS with Mo'Nique I love love love that movie, but there are two things that get on my nerves. 1 the male lead actor isn't even a Nigerian, he's Haitian. 2 the yoruba in that movie wasn't even good, but you shouldn't be surprised since one of them wasn't even a nigerian. Godfrey, from Souplane was there and he was good and funny as usual.
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by riversman: 2:53am On Mar 16, 2010
OASIS, can u please get a LIFE? its on sale at COSTCO, grin
Re: Hollywood Movies That Showcase Nigeria by unikwa: 9:50pm On Aug 05, 2019
Here's a list from this website...
https://www.36ng.ng/2016/07/25/12-hollywood-movies-showcased-nigeria-photos/

CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
SAHARA
Mister Johnson
SANDERS OF THE RIVER
THE CURSED ONES
Tears Of The Sun
Phat Girlz
X-MEN – ORIGINS (THE WOLVERINE)
Lost (Series)
CRITICAL ASSIGNMENT
The Bourne Identity
SUGAR HILL

(1) (2) (Reply)

SoundCity Vs HipTV: Which Do You Prefer? / Actresses To Watch Out For In Nollywood / Bbnaija: Omashola Wins Friday Night Arena Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.