Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car (9516 Views)

Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape / Not Washing Your Car Properly In Australia Could Earn You A Fine Of N162,000 / How To Properly Use The “baby On Board” Sign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Godspower35(m): 3:37am On Apr 13, 2019
If you are not going to use your car for a long time, follow these steps to keep the vehicle running.
You leave your car unused for a long period of time, be it for a long vacation or you move and can not take it right away. Later you have to keep the car waiting for it to run normally. It is possible to avoid this if you take the right steps. Here are some tips on how to properly store your car so that you no longer have to spend on maintenance if you want to use it again.

Do not apply the handbrake when you leave

If the handbrake is pressed for a long period of time, the brake pads may get stuck on the discs or drums. It is needless to say that in this case you will
get in trouble next time you drive the car. The clever thing would be to use wheel chocks, such as a piece of wood or even a brick, to prevent it from rolling away and leaving the car in first gear.

Park indoors or use a vehicle cover

If possible, park your car indoors. It is safer and cleaner. If you do not have this option, invest in quality coverage. Make sure you buy one made for your vehicle model or vehicle type. Also, avoid using the cover indoors as otherwise the moisture remaining inside may evaporate faster, especially in humid weather.

Care of the spark plug

If you are not going to use your car for a long time, you should remove the spark plugs and spray some oil into the sockets before reinserting the plugs. This helps to prevent the insides of the cylinder head from rusting and keeping moisture out. You can also use fuel additives that protect the inside of the engine. Of course, you should only do this if you are familiar with the mechanics of the car.

Clean the interiors before parking the car

This could be the obvious, but we will tell you anyway. People tend to leave garbage in cars, including chocolate or biscuit wraps (with crumbs inside), old newspapers, water bottles, and so on. All of this can make rotten or, worse still, rodents that can damage floor mats, seat covers and even cables. Clean the interior thoroughly and spray a small air freshener. However, do not use too much as it stinks in closed rooms for a long time.

Fill up the fuel tank

One of the main problems when a car is not being used is rusting inside the fuel tank. The best way to avoid this is to fill the car to the brim with high-quality gasoline and even add fuel additives. This will allow moisture to enter the tank and prevent rusting of the fuel tank. Of course, make sure that the tank is properly closed.

Battery preservation

It is better to remove the battery if you go away for a long time. Lubricate the clamps and wire ends with petroleum jelly or grease to prevent rusting. Make sure the battery is fully charged and fill up with the water level. Reserve the battery in a cool area away from direct sunlight.

Paint protection

The paint finish of a car may be damaged if the vehicle is parked outdoors, even if the cover is protected by dust, dirt and moisture. Thoroughly clean the exterior to avoid damage. Before applying polish and wax, remove any dirt, dust that may adhere to the vehicle. This helps keep the moisture out. The use of the vehicle cover provides complete protection.

Lift up the car

Cars that rest for a long time develop flat spots on the tyres. To avoid this, use four jacks (or wooden blocks) to prevent the car from resting on the wheels. Low-profile sports cars can be left without support for up to two months without damaging the tyres.

Change oil and filter

It is best to put in fresh engine oil and new filters before leaving the unit. Drive a few miles by car, however, so that the fresh oil circulates in the engine. Waste oil contains moisture, metal shavings, mud and other corrosive elements.

Ensure the tyres are properly inflated

Check the tyre pressure and make sure the tyres are at the right pressure. Proper inflation prevents tearing of the sidewalls and flat areas. Check the valves and valve caps for leaks and the correct seating of the valve caps.

POINTS TO NOTE:

If vehicles are properly preserved when we are away for a some period, there is every tendency of increasing its life- span. Follow the tips above and you will ever be grateful.
[img]https://1.bp..com/--hyrBlflmrI/XLFHrZTu9uI/AAAAAAAACNc/oWYufRpl5SEpP3vUMvf_N4iLjWIbUe-RwCEwYBhgL/s320/storing%2Ba%2Bcar.jpg[/img]
Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/04/10-points-on-how-to-properly-store-your.html

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by CarGuideNG: 10:41am On Apr 13, 2019
Planning to buy a car? Don't gamble or take chances with your hard earned funds. Avoid dangerous vehicles and get background checks on any vehicles you're interested in with comprehensive VIN Reports.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by abumoney(m): 10:41am On Apr 13, 2019
Now that I don't even own a bicycle Tyre, of what essence is this knowledge?!
My mates in the USA don't see owning a car as a big deal, but in Nigeria, we even steal PANTS to buy Benz. Poverty kee our enemies there.
We'll make it this year

3 Likes

Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by kiiingemmy(m): 10:41am On Apr 13, 2019
angry
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Uncleodi(m): 10:42am On Apr 13, 2019
Me that will sell my own before relocating to Canada. What am I storing it for since I can afford to by a new one anytime I visit Nigeria or when Buhari is done with his tenure.

1 Like

Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by icebird25(m): 10:42am On Apr 13, 2019
We wey never get car ..we are busy parking our own properly in the dream world

2 Likes

Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Stillthebest: 10:45am On Apr 13, 2019
Nice info
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Bizzyliss(m): 10:47am On Apr 13, 2019
Mumu den tel u say na brake pad de hold am for hand brake

3 Likes

Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by castrol180(m): 10:55am On Apr 13, 2019
Alright...I've heard you
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Mentorme: 11:51am On Apr 13, 2019
I can't trace from where water is entering into the floor of my car (2oo3 sienna).
Money spent on panels beater to find it was in vain �
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Joshualee: 11:57am On Apr 13, 2019
6 months used Toyota big daddy up for sale. V6 engine , full option, leather seat. Contact - 09060464091 for nore info
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by computerglobal(m): 12:00pm On Apr 13, 2019
cool

cool

cool
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by gr8tone: 12:11pm On Apr 13, 2019
Bizzyliss:
Mumu den tel u say na brake pad de hold am for hand brake
How the guy take be mumu? It's not nice to always insult people just because you think you know it better.

1 Like

Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Godspower35(m): 12:45pm On Apr 13, 2019
gr8tone:
Thanks sir,I appreciate alot.
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Nzeelvis(m): 12:47pm On Apr 13, 2019
Mentorme:
I can't trace from where water is entering into the floor of my car (2oo3 sienna).
do u use A.C?
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Bizzyliss(m): 12:47pm On Apr 13, 2019
gr8tone:
How the guy take be mumu? It's not nice to always insult people just because you think you know it better.
he shud make findings before misleading pple
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by adesgood: 1:50pm On Apr 13, 2019
Mentorme:

You have to take note of where the water comes from. Night be the Ac water from your evaporator or probably a blockage of the water drainage. .. if it does wet everytime you put on the Ac take it to a Ac technician.
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by ericmor: 3:42pm On Apr 13, 2019
Mentorme:

The issue of how water get into people’s car is getting common, same thing with me and my sister and even some of my friends but I think my sister’s own is as a result of the use of AC y mine will be the drainage system bcs it happens anytime it rains
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by buddie(m): 4:07pm On Apr 13, 2019
Had same experience. Finally fixed when the windscreen was noticed to have a gap where water sipped in and floor to the floor mat as noticed.

Mentorme:
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Mentorme: 12:37pm On Apr 14, 2019
[quote author=adesgood post=77508206]

You have to take note of where the water comes from. Night be the Ac water from your evaporator or probably a blockage of the water drainage. .. if it does wet everytime you put on the Ac take it to a Ac technician.[/queote]
It is everytime it rains
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Mentorme: 12:38pm On Apr 14, 2019
Nzeelvis:
do u use A.C?
Yes!
But it occurs when it rains.
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by Nzeelvis(m): 3:02pm On Apr 14, 2019
Mentorme:

Yes!
But it occurs when it rains.
Ur panel beater should check if the pipe dat removes water 4rmthe A.C is blocked.
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by paix(m): 1:03pm On Apr 15, 2019
icebird25:
We wey never get car ..we are busy parking our own properly in the dream world
Don't worry darling, you shall own a car before the year runs out. The people that own cars don't have 2 heads.
Re: 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car by paix(m): 1:08pm On Apr 15, 2019
Godspower35:
If you are not going to use your car for a long time, follow these steps to keep the vehicle running.
You leave your car unused for a long period of time, be it for a long vacation or you move and can not take it right away. Later you have to keep the car waiting for it to run normally. It is possible to avoid this if you take the right steps. Here are some tips on how to properly store your car so that you no longer have to spend on maintenance if you want to use it again.

Do not apply the handbrake when you leave

If the handbrake is pressed for a long period of time, the brake pads may get stuck on the discs or drums. It is needless to say that in this case you will
get in trouble next time you drive the car. The clever thing would be to use wheel chocks, such as a piece of wood or even a brick, to prevent it from rolling away and leaving the car in first gear.

Park indoors or use a vehicle cover

If possible, park your car indoors. It is safer and cleaner. If you do not have this option, invest in quality coverage. Make sure you buy one made for your vehicle model or vehicle type. Also, avoid using the cover indoors as otherwise the moisture remaining inside may evaporate faster, especially in humid weather.

Care of the spark plug

If you are not going to use your car for a long time, you should remove the spark plugs and spray some oil into the sockets before reinserting the plugs. This helps to prevent the insides of the cylinder head from rusting and keeping moisture out. You can also use fuel additives that protect the inside of the engine. Of course, you should only do this if you are familiar with the mechanics of the car.

Clean the interiors before parking the car

This could be the obvious, but we will tell you anyway. People tend to leave garbage in cars, including chocolate or biscuit wraps (with crumbs inside), old newspapers, water bottles, and so on. All of this can make rotten or, worse still, rodents that can damage floor mats, seat covers and even cables. Clean the interior thoroughly and spray a small air freshener. However, do not use too much as it stinks in closed rooms for a long time.

Fill up the fuel tank

One of the main problems when a car is not being used is rusting inside the fuel tank. The best way to avoid this is to fill the car to the brim with high-quality gasoline and even add fuel additives. This will allow moisture to enter the tank and prevent rusting of the fuel tank. Of course, make sure that the tank is properly closed.

Battery preservation

It is better to remove the battery if you go away for a long time. Lubricate the clamps and wire ends with petroleum jelly or grease to prevent rusting. Make sure the battery is fully charged and fill up with the water level. Reserve the battery in a cool area away from direct sunlight.

Paint protection

The paint finish of a car may be damaged if the vehicle is parked outdoors, even if the cover is protected by dust, dirt and moisture. Thoroughly clean the exterior to avoid damage. Before applying polish and wax, remove any dirt, dust that may adhere to the vehicle. This helps keep the moisture out. The use of the vehicle cover provides complete protection.

Lift up the car

Cars that rest for a long time develop flat spots on the tyres. To avoid this, use four jacks (or wooden blocks) to prevent the car from resting on the wheels. Low-profile sports cars can be left without support for up to two months without damaging the tyres.

Change oil and filter

It is best to put in fresh engine oil and new filters before leaving the unit. Drive a few miles by car, however, so that the fresh oil circulates in the engine. Waste oil contains moisture, metal shavings, mud and other corrosive elements.

Ensure the tyres are properly inflated

Check the tyre pressure and make sure the tyres are at the right pressure. Proper inflation prevents tearing of the sidewalls and flat areas. Check the valves and valve caps for leaks and the correct seating of the valve caps.

POINTS TO NOTE:

If vehicles are properly preserved when we are away for a some period, there is every tendency of increasing its life- span. Follow the tips above and you will ever be grateful.
[img]https://1.bp..com/--hyrBlflmrI/XLFHrZTu9uI/AAAAAAAACNc/oWYufRpl5SEpP3vUMvf_N4iLjWIbUe-RwCEwYBhgL/s320/storing%2Ba%2Bcar.jpg[/img]
Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/04/10-points-on-how-to-properly-store-your.html

Nice one. What if the car was confiscated and was later released after 2 years, what are the necessary things to check before hitting the road?

(1) (Reply)

Black Exhaust Smoke From Toyota Sienna Le 1999 / Toyota Corolla 1999 Fuse Box / Replacement Of A Lexus Is 350 2006 Engine (2GR-FSE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.