Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,542 members, 7,816,321 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape (12521 Views)

Keep Your Vehicle In Shape By Maintaining These 7 Fluids / 10 Points On How To Properly Store Your Car / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Godspower35(m): 1:44am On Aug 20, 2019
Many car owners do not control their car before they get in and drive to their destination. At times, many car owners only check and inspect the engine of their car when traveling on long-haul trips. The inspection of the car engine should not be overlooked, but should be taken seriously, since the engine of a vehicle can knock at any time. Such an incident can be avoided if car owners and drivers check their car engines at regular intervals.

You are about to hit the road and you notice that your car is making funny noises you are not used to. You should take care of the maintenance and inspection of the car. To help you apply some safety tips to keep your car engine in perfect condition, we have provided this article with the most important tips to keep your car engine in perfect condition.

Check the coolant level

You should not wait for your car engine to overheat before checking the coolant level. Be sure to inspect the fluid levels to avoid engine damage.

Always use good oil

Oil is the bloodline of a car. If the engine does not work, the engine crashes. Most car owners prefer cheap oil without quality from manufacturers. A good oil with quality ensures the proper operation of your vehicle.

Check oil level

It would not cost you a penny and you will not need more than five minutes to check the oil level of your car. Regularly check the dipstick of your vehicle engine.

Change your oil frequently

It is recommended that the driver change his engine oil regularly, not when the oil runs out. Automakers also recommend that car owners and drivers make sure that the oil is changed at regular intervals.

Change filter

The filter of a car is a factor that plays a role in the smoothness of the engine. Oil and air filters wear off when used. For this reason, we recommend checking and changing them if they need to be replaced.

Check The Condition of Drive Belts

Checking and scrutinization of the drive belts and renewal of damaged belts will help you to avoid future breakdown of the car engine.

Use a Correct Grade of Petrol

Most vehicles are designed to run on all grades of fuel. Some cars were made to run on standard grades of petrol, some others were designed to use a higher octane fuel. Constant usage of the lower grade of petrol and a high octane fuel can cause serious problems to your car such as overheating and pre-ignition. Make certain that you use the correct grade of petrol that brings better efficiency and performance to your car.

Do not Underestimate on Engine Warnings

Do not disregard engine warnings and diagnostics which are displayed and shown on the dashboard display lamp. Notification messages help to avoid certain damages and bring a better performance of your car engine.

Check for Fluid Leaks

Most often, when you start your car or warm up your car, you may notice that some fluids appear to be leaking from the car engine. Periodical check for fluid leaks helps to avoid disaster. Drivers are encouraged to check for signs of petrol, lubricant, hydraulic fluid or coolant which appears to be leaking out of the car.

Adopt an Engine Friendly Drive

Lastly, ensure that you get assimilated with a driving style that is friendly to your engine. Don’t be a rough rider who accelerates and rides roughly on all type of roads. Engines should be carefully treated at all times because the way it is being handled and used results in its performance.

Please Don't forget to :...Like, Share and Comment....
[img]https://1.bp..com/-8AbqOwe7qmQ/XVs_7jg83cI/AAAAAAAACrc/vCLZhbyW30As0KbftcuoS0ay6ZL8_oT7wCLcBGAs/s320/car%2Bengine%2B1.jpg[/img]
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/08/top-10-points-to-keep-your-car-engine.html

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by unite4real: 10:16am On Aug 20, 2019
Its good to handle your car same way you would handle your body.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by SoftP(m): 10:16am On Aug 20, 2019
Thanks for sharing '
though @7, 95% of Petrol in 9ja are adulterated

pls add,

Patronize skilled technicians for service & repairs...

Most of Our Local mechanic do more harm than good on cars

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 20, 2019
Spot on op but that number 7 on the list is unavoidable, Nigeria fuel is rubbish. Go to Ladipo, If you count 5 shops selling spare parts, two of them must be selling fuel injector and other fuel system components that's because the fuel we use in Nigeria is poorly refined hence gunks, debris and the likes tends to ruin your car fuel system in no time.

To ameliorate this menace I suggest people use fuel addictives to flush your fuel system after like 10,000 to 20,000 miles.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by muyiskoko101: 10:19am On Aug 20, 2019
Good one...thanks for that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by chudez0147(m): 10:20am On Aug 20, 2019
Thank you... we won't forget!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by willexyaho(m): 10:22am On Aug 20, 2019
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Ijaya123: 10:23am On Aug 20, 2019
Godspower35:

Use a Correct Grade of Petrol

Most vehicles are designed to run on all grades of fuel. Some cars were made to run on standard grades of petrol, some others were designed to use a higher octane fuel. Constant usage of the lower grade of petrol and a high octane fuel can cause serious problems to your car such as overheating and pre-ignition. Make certain that you use the correct grade of petrol that brings better efficiency and performance to your car.

[img]https://1.bp..com/-8AbqOwe7qmQ/XVs_7jg83cI/AAAAAAAACrc/vCLZhbyW30As0KbftcuoS0ay6ZL8_oT7wCLcBGAs/s320/car%2Bengine%2B1.jpg[/img]
http://www.eliancars.com/2019/08/top-10-points-to-keep-your-car-engine.html

Do we have different grades of petrol in Nigeria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Flier: 10:23am On Aug 20, 2019
We change our engine oil too often in Nigeria
My silly friend always change it every 180km because that is probably 3-4 months of usage his house is near his office,where as it should be 2000km and above
Nigerians don’t really care about mileage they only care about the last time they serviced their car

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by femi4: 10:26am On Aug 20, 2019
Engine that will die will still die

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by 7tiwasavage00: 10:28am On Aug 20, 2019
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Primebuilders(m): 10:28am On Aug 20, 2019
Change our oil after every 5000 km cover or after every 3months depending on the one that comes first.

Best advice for engine maintenance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 20, 2019
femi4:
Engine that will die will still die
This is a lie man! Go on YouTube and watch the a million milages club. There are people who uses thier car till it gets to 1 million miles with the same engine, I was shocked when I stumbled on that video. It only require you to do routine tune up, oil change and other maintenance, your engine will last you a long time.

Like a great guy here in the moniker of Dru23 would always say, there is never a bad car but bad car owners.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by femi4: 10:32am On Aug 20, 2019
aaronson:
This is a lie beo
Everything dies no matter how you take care of them. You can only delay the inevitable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by bluefilm: 10:35am On Aug 20, 2019
I have not changed my car engine oil for almost 8 months now.

So far, nothing has happened.

Brothers and sisters in the Lord, is our God not a miracle working God?!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by iswallker(m): 10:37am On Aug 20, 2019
SoftP:
Thanks for sharing '
though @7, 95% of Petrol in 9ja are adulterated

pls add,

Patronize skilled technicians for service & repairs...

Most of Our Local mechanic do more harm than good on cars

And learn to do basic depairs/service on engine.. undecided

I do change of oil and filter - also change of spark plugs.. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by ikombe: 10:38am On Aug 20, 2019
Contact me for your Gym and Exercise equipment both Home and Commercial Use

check my signature and profile for more info.

Delivery Within Lagos. Waybill outside lagos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 20, 2019
bluefilm:

Dude, you just shortening the life of that engine. Go check your dipstick, if the oil black, you are very careless with your car.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Ijaya123: 10:39am On Aug 20, 2019
Flier:
We change our engine oil too often in Nigeria
My silly friend always change it every 180km because that is probably 3-4 months of usage his house is near his office,where as it should be 2000km and above
Nigerians don’t really care about mileage they only care about the last time they serviced their car

Meanwhile, change of oil is usually determined by mileage accumulated, and not by time factor.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by metroid(m): 10:42am On Aug 20, 2019
bluefilm:

Depends on how often you use the car sha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by bluefilm: 10:43am On Aug 20, 2019
aaronson:
Dude, you just shortening the life of that engine. Go check your dipstick, if the oil black, you are very careless with your car.

Nah.

You can say that for vehicles made in any other part of the world.

But I've got a German machine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by bluefilm: 10:43am On Aug 20, 2019
metroid:

Depends on how often you use the car sha

Exactly.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by philcom09: 10:45am On Aug 20, 2019
They can provide you with grade A solar system solution from Israel upfront and spread payment, visit www.greenpowernig.com or call 01-3429170, 0700-000-7777
GreenPower Overseas Limited
35b Unity Road, Off Bank Anthony way, Ikeja -Lagos, Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHoR-A7Kb-o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Bemmics: 10:47am On Aug 20, 2019
Lovely and great tips.
Thanks!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Points To Keep Your Car Engine In Shape by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 20, 2019
bluefilm:

Nah.

You can say that for vehicles made in any other part of the world.

But I've got a German machine.
Regardless bro! A machine is a machine. All machines are made of steel metals and when this rub against each other, it generates friction hence causing wear and tear. Whether you using a brand new Brabrus Gwagon without changing oil often and I use a rikety jalopy, If I do more oil change than your Gwagon, your Gwagon engine will go bad and possibly knock before my jalopy completes 50,000 Miles.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

20 Sure Ways To Survive The Current Fuel Scarcity. / Elon Musk And Tesla Settle SEC Fraud Case For $40m,Will Resign As Tesla Chairman / Top 5 Bad Car Habits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.