Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,663 members, 7,820,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:12 PM

Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup (5003 Views)

Was The Jan 15, 1966 Coup An Igbo Coup? A Detribilized, Historical Perspective / Wikileak's Revelation On Fuel Subsidy & Gej Corrupt Practices / Dora Akunyili And Her "sudden" Revelation On Nigeria Problems! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by komando1: 9:16am On Sep 16, 2010
Thanks in advance for doing that. Now the Igbos can rest from your compulsive voyourism
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 12:14pm On Sep 16, 2010
Quote from: sbeezy8 on Today at 03:14:53 AM

In 1948, Abubakar Tafewa Balewa attended Nigeria Executive Council meeting for the first time northern Nigeria was represented, he (Abubakar) had this message from Ahmadu Bello, “ I come to warn southern Nigeria who behave as though they want to dominate Nigeria’s politics, especially the Igbos, who pour into the north as invaders and not as visitors. If the Igbos continue to pour into the north as invaders, we (north) shall be compelled to dip the Quran into the sea”.

Thanks sbeezy8 for the above quote. I love it.

@Komando,

so u get along fine with the North,huh. No wonder, they have been killing you people as far back as 1953. Your fathers have really filled your heads will BS.

And forgot about defending Nairaland, try defending your people if you can. When confronted with superior arguments, you resort to gutter language. Its your stock in trade so am not surprised. I refuse to descend into the gutter with you but will be here, no shaking, ready to punch holes in all your mind-bogglling lies. keep it coming. hear the man, "the North loves the igbos"! shocked Of course, they do ke!! That must have been why they started the pogrom after their revenge coup! i can't believe you actually wrote the above quote, gosh, head shaking! U ought to donate ur brain to prosperity,
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Dede1(m): 1:13pm On Sep 16, 2010
T9ksy:
Posted by: Dede1

It appears you are the person having comprehensible problem. NPC ministers approached their godfathers, in this case British, for military aide and they were informed by British undersecretary that such request had to come from Prime Minister. At this juncture, Ironsi informed them such endeavor was too late and the coup had been crushed. Was the coup not crushed as Ironis stated? Please, for the sake of argument, could you help us understand how Ironsi lied about the coup been crushed?

Haba Dede, did you bother to read the link Bk posted at the beginning of this thread 'cause I can't seem to construe where you got the bolded part from?  Anyway, incase, you were too lazy to read the whole text or just couldn't comprehend the content, here's an excerpt for you to peruse, all over again:

I (Shehu Shagari), was about to break the Ramadan fast on Sunday 16th January, when all ministers were asked to report to the Cabinet Office at 6.30 pm. (Around this time Majors Ifeajunna & Okafor were already on their way to Ghana after having already had tea with the premier of eastern region. all the other coupists in the south were rounded up by 07:00am, that same morning at Ironsi's command.). The whole premises was surrounded by soldiers in battle order that some of us initially hesitated to enter. In the Cabinet chamber were Major General Ironsi, Bukar Dipcharima and Ibrahim Tako Galadima. There were no officials present.

Major General Ironsi admitted to us that he had been unable to suppress the rebellion, which he said was getting out of hand. He stated that the mutineers were in control of Kaduna, Kano and Ibadan, and had killed two regional premiers, Sir Ahmadu Bello and Chief Akintola. They had also murdered a number of his best officers, including Brigadiers Maimalari and Samuel Adesujo Ademulegun, the Commander 1st Brigade Headquarters in Kaduna. Ironsi was full of emotion and even shed some tears. When we asked him about the whereabouts of Sir ABubakar and Chief Okotie-Eboh, he said he still did not know but averred efforts were being made to locate them. At this stage Mbadiwe broke down and kept crying: “Please where is the Prime Minister?” 
When we reminded Major-General Ironsi if he needed to avail himself of the British pledge of assistance, he replied it was too late as the army was pressing him to assume power. Indeed, he confessed his personal reluctance to take over because of his ignorance of government; but insisted the boys were adamant and anxiously waiting outside. He advised it would be in our interest, and that of the country, to temporarily cede power to him to avert disaster. Accordingly, we acceded to his request since we had no better alternative. Ironsi then insisted that the understanding be written.

At least, one thing Ironsi was right about was his ignorance of govt. which eventually culminated in his demise.  The man was a bare-faced liar!

Did you consciously write this conjectural crap? I hope you do not commit suicide with this self-indictable endeavor. If the coup was not crushed as Ironsi had stated, why would coup plotters on their way to Ghana? Were they going to Ghana for military assistance or safe hideout?
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Dede1(m): 1:46pm On Sep 16, 2010
T9ksy:

Quote from: sbeezy8 on Today at 03:14:53 AM

In 1948, Abubakar Tafewa Balewa attended Nigeria Executive Council meeting for the first time northern Nigeria was represented, he (Abubakar) had this message from Ahmadu Bello, “ I come to warn southern Nigeria who behave as though they want to dominate Nigeria’s politics, especially the Igbos, who pour into the north as invaders and not as visitors. If the Igbos continue to pour into the north as invaders, we (north) shall be compelled to dip the Quran into the sea”.

Thanks sbeezy8 for the above quote. I love it.

@Komando,

so u get along fine with the North,huh. No wonder, they have been killing you people as far back as 1953. Your fathers have really filled your heads will BS.

And forgot about defending Nairaland, try defending your people if you can. When confronted with superior arguments, you resort to gutter language. Its your stock in trade so am not surprised. I refuse to descend into the gutter with you but will be here, no shaking, ready to punch holes in all your mind-bogglling lies. keep it coming. hear the man, "the North loves the igbos"! shocked Of course, they do ke!! That must have been why they started the pogrom after their revenge coup! i can't believe you actually wrote the above quote, gosh, head shaking! U ought to donate your brain to prosperity,

Ignorance is bliss. Also, an ill-educated person is worse than illiterate. At least, I think an illiterate is redeemable. If both of you ( sbeezy8 and T9ksy) did not understand the smoke screen from the statement accredited to Tafawa Balewa, you are worse than your forbearers who never tried to stop Balewa but helped him carry the Quran to Atlantic through Lagos.

Northern region and Balewa tried to confiscate the National Bank owned by WNDC, the attempt was stopped by an Igbo judge who ruled against Tafawa Balewa government. The Balewa government took over western region of Nigeria with help of Yoruba sons and squashed any opposition by hauling Awolowo to prison.

I should remind you that Yoruba was Chief Justice of the Republic of Nigeria, Attorney-General, Chief Judge of the High Court and chief government prosecution witness as Awolowo, his cronies and western region of Nigeria was dealt a political knockout blow in 1962.

The high-powered government operatives of Balewa government had planed to send Awo to the Nigerian Prison in Bauchi so that the northern region will put a finishing touch to Awo’s already broken soul. An Igbo jurist intervened to have Awo send to Nigerian Prison in Calaber in eastern region of Nigeria where Quran could not reach. 
The Igbo chap had known the Awo was a born backstabber and treacherous political artist, he would allowed the Balewa to finish off Awo in1962.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 16, 2010
Dede1:

Ignorance is bliss. Also, an ill-educated person is worse than illiterate. At least, I think an illiterate is redeemable. If both of you ( sbeezy8 and T9ksy) did not understand the smoke screen from the statement accredited to Tafawa Balewa, you are worse than your forbearers who never tried to stop Balewa but helped him carry the Quran to Atlantic through Lagos.

Northern region and Balewa tried to confiscate the National Bank owned by WNDC, the attempt was stopped by an Igbo judge who ruled against Tafawa Balewa government. The Balewa government took over western region of Nigeria with help of Yoruba sons and squashed any opposition by hauling Awolowo to prison.

I should remind you that Yoruba was Chief Justice of the Republic of Nigeria, Attorney-General, Chief Judge of the High Court and chief government prosecution witness as Awolowo, his cronies and western region of Nigeria was dealt a political knockout blow in 1962.

The high-powered government operatives of Balewa government had planed to send Awo to the Nigerian Prison in Bauchi so that the northern region will put a finishing touch to Awo’s already broken soul. An Igbo jurist intervened to have Awo send to Nigerian Prison in Calaber in eastern region of Nigeria when Quran could not reach.
The Igbo chap had known the Awo was a born backstabber and treacherous political artist, he would allowed the Balewa to finish off Awo in1962.

Everyday you sound crazier than the previous and you consider yourself highly educated right. An igbo jurist, an igbo jurist as if legal judgements are based on the ethnicity of the judge!!! You are one of the ill educated people you rant about.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 2:04pm On Sep 16, 2010
Dede, r u blind and can't u read?

Major General Ironsi admitted to us that he had been unable to suppress the rebellion, was that true? At that particular moment, the coup was practically over in the south.which he said was getting out of hand.What was "getting out of hand"? 95% of the   coupists were already in jail whilst the rest have escaped to neighbouring country

He stated that the mutineers were in control of Kaduna, Kano and Ibadan, and had killed two regional premiers, Sir Ahmadu Bello and Chief Akintola.
Another blatant lie by the GOC. Who were the mutineers in charge of Ibadan? Cap. Nwobosi, the leader of the Ibadan group and his men were all arrested on arrival at dodan barracks at 0700hrs on the morning of jan. 15th, 1966. Infact, by 0700 hrs on that same day (15th jan., 1966), the coup had all but failed in the south but here we have the GCO misinforming the cabinent ministers on the 16th of Jan. at 1830hrs that he had been unable to suppress the rebellion.

If the coup was not crushed as Ironsi had stated, why would coup plotters on their way to Ghana? Were they going to Ghana for military assistance or safe hideout?

Dede, Ironsi did not state that he HAD CRUSHED THE COUP RATHER HE LIED THAT HE WAS UNABLE TO CRUSH THE MUTINEERS. WHICH PART OF HIS LIE DO YOU FIND DIFFICULT TO GRAPPLE WITH?
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by komando1: 2:11pm On Sep 16, 2010
@ Tskslimmydude a.k.a Bk's new wife

Mr uppity, the expression is not 'donate your brain to prosperity,'it is 'donate your brain to PROSTERITY. Get it? Dunce.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 2:14pm On Sep 16, 2010
Quote from: Dede1 on Today at 01:46:56 PM

If both of you did not understand the smoke screen from the statement accredited to Tafawa Balewa, you are worse than,

Smokescreen ke? that's how everybody perceives u guys - as visitors who erronously think they are invaders. How many more igbos do the northerners have to kill before it sinks into ur skull that no one trust you guys?

@tnx Komando, i stand corrected. Anyway, hope u do as i suggested, Mr. Hausa/fulani bosom pal. shocked
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by akyus(m): 2:28pm On Sep 16, 2010
@bk.babe, thanks so much for the insight.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by komando1: 2:29pm On Sep 16, 2010
@ k9daazzkissir

Ill donate my brain just as soon as you sue yours for non-suport.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by akyus(m): 2:30pm On Sep 16, 2010
@bk.babe, thanks so much insight.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by Dede1(m): 3:06pm On Sep 16, 2010
T9ksy:

Dede, r u blind and can't u read?
[color=#990000]Another blatant lie by the GOC. Who were the mutineers in charge of Ibadan? Cap. Nwobosi, the leader of the Ibadan group and his men were all arrested on arrival at dodan barracks at 0700hrs on the morning of jan. 15th, 1966. Infact, by 0700 hrs on that same day (15th jan., 1966), the coup had all but failed in the south but here we have the GCO misinforming the cabinent ministers on the 16th of Jan. at 1830hrs that he had been unable to suppress the rebellion. [/color]

Dede, Ironsi did not state that he HAD CRUSHED THE COUP RATHER HE LIED THAT HE WAS UNABLE TO CRUSH THE MUTINEERS. WHICH PART OF HIS LIE DO YOU FIND DIFFICULT TO GRAPPLE WITH?

I guess you should endeavor to write your story on what you know about era in discuss and stop coping and pasting disjointed and conjectural craps with no intellectual value.

Please if you have intention to copy and paste article, I suggest you do so with full context of the piece showing the chronicle order of events. If you can not produce easy out of your knowledge of the facts, please stop making a fool out of your self. 

I really wonder if you can see and read. Even your endeavors are self-deprecating. for example, coup stated in night of Jan 15, 1966 and yet your post had stated that “by 0700hrs of Jan 15, 1966 the coup has but failed in south”. Keep digging to safe face from unfounded cowardice.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by komando1: 4:21pm On Sep 16, 2010
After many days of hate this thread is still a few pages. This shows that negative articles are not popular on nairaland. Compare this to were the Alaigbo thread was in the same number of days.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by T9ksy(m): 5:58pm On Sep 16, 2010
I guess you should endeavor to write your story on what you know about era in discuss and stop coping and pasting disjointed and conjectural craps with no intellectual value.

Please if you have intention to copy and paste article, I suggest you do so with full context of the piece showing the chronicle order of events. If you can not produce easy out of your knowledge of the facts, please stop making a fool out of your self.  

Soory Dede, I know how you 're loathe to read and the info is quite voluminous. Oh well, here it is . Happy reading.

http://www.gamji.com/nowa/NEWS1103.htm

I really wonder if you can see and read. Even your endeavors are self-deprecating. for example, coup stated in night of Jan 15, 1966 and yet your post had stated that “by 0700hrs of Jan 15, 1966 the coup has but failed in south”. Keep digging to safe face from unfounded cowardice.

Hab, old boy , take it easy now. The coup started at 0200hrs on Jan 15th, 1966 and by 0700hrs of the same day, it was practically over in the south.
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by bkbabe97y(m): 10:48am On Sep 17, 2010
akyus:

@bk.babe, thanks so much for the insight.

You welcome . . . . Just do my lil bit to expose the truth whenever I see it!
Re: Another Revelation On The Jan.1966 Coup by komando1: 12:23pm On Sep 17, 2010
Stupid thread. It dserves to end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are There No Southern Governors Forum? / Finally! President Jonathan Reveals Why Obasanjo Hates Him / God bless you all

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.