Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,767 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Don't Become The Family ATM - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Don't Become The Family ATM (29276 Views)

My Colleague's Wife Gets His Salary Alerts & Holds His ATM Card / How Your Birth Position In The Family Can Influence Your Personality / Video:Women Are The Major Cause Of Domestic Violence In The Family- Angela Nwosu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by DAramis: 5:03pm On Apr 18, 2019
Martinez39:
I didn't say you must bring out money for someone's burial. I only said it is better than having him leech off you. Even if you spend two billion dollars feeding people today, they will still get hungry again. Human needs can't be shut. So why not use the two billion dollars for yourself and family and live the remaining as inheritance? Why can't you tell the beggers to go and hustle that you owe them nothing?

Worse are the beggers that will use you to finance their wedding and children's upbringing. Brother, let's start having sense.
Update**I am commenting from the point of view of a bachelor grin grin

The point of view of being married is a complicated one especially if all family members are married. But that not withstanding, if money is not a problem, please do try and render help even if it is once in your life.

*A situation where someone happens to be the first issue while his or her younger ones are still growing or coming up, the situation you painted above may not actually workout.

Nothing stops someone from contributing school fees money etc to his family members.

The worst form of guys that irritates me are those that spends thousands of naira on one imaginary girlfriend of theirs while their mother or younger siblings are passing serious challenges cry cry

Like I said, not helping for once is never the right path to thread especially if money has never been the problem but at the same time, there should be a limit to it.

The one of using your finance to marry and do owambe grin I have not seen such o. In summary, your point about using our brain is what matters most.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Martinez39(m): 5:08pm On Apr 18, 2019
DAramis:

A situation where someone happens to be the first issue while his or her younger ones are still growing or coming up, the situation you painted above may not actually workout.
The first born doesn't owe his struggling siblings a dime. They are not his responsibility. The siblings are the responsibilities of the parents that gave birth to them. Every first born needs to realise this. Did the first born ask mama and papa to fvck and produce children(his siblings) that they cannot take care of? When the struggling siblings come to the first born, the response should be "go and meet your father."

Nothing stops someone from contributing school fees money etc to his family members.
That one is a choice that no one is obliged to make. You cannot give birth and push your responsibilities to your first son or family relations ---- how irresponsible. Let people take on their responsibilities.

The worst form of guys that irritates me are those that spends thousands of naira on one imaginary girlfriend of theirs while their mother or younger siblings are passing serious challenges cry cry
I don't support this but sadly, one can do with one's money as they like. As I have said, your younger siblings are your parents responsibilities.

Like I said, not helping for once is never the right path to thread especially if money has never been the problem but at the same time, there should be a limit to it.
if you want to help people, make them take responsibilities for their actions. If in a community, everyone makes it clear that no matter what, every man must take care of his child, they no go born any jupiter to born pickin wey he no fit train.

10 Likes

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by DAramis: 5:10pm On Apr 18, 2019
Preetti:
I was the ATM now that there's no money they stopped calling
It is well sis. You will pull through. Don't see it as a bad thing which you did.

What you did is part of the reasons why the world is still revolving and when some things pull through for you, you won't even remember these bad moments in your life.

2 Likes

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Martinez39(m): 5:13pm On Apr 18, 2019
DAramis:

The one of using your finance to marry and do owambe grin I have not seen such o. In summary, your point about using our brain is what matters most.
You never see something. They might not tell you that they want to do wedding or owambe instead they might say they want to do one business or that they are sick. They know how to come up with one touching story.

4 Likes

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 18, 2019
I'm very proud to be my family's ATM. And by family I mean, the main the main family (children, mum and dad, and siblings, and wife). I hope to be an inexhaustible ATM that never has insufficient funds for this category of people. Working night and day to reach that point. Let them wreck me if they can. With all pleasure, would be my refrain.

As for any so-called relatives or extended family members, those ones can starve to death or even burn to ashes for all I care. Habitually ungrateful and malicious lot.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Pavore9: 5:20pm On Apr 18, 2019
Ugosample:

it's our curse as igbo men

wanting to carry ungrateful relatives along at our expense

it's terrible

Very Igbo!. Some of us seek "validation" from it at the expense of our nuclear family well-being but ironically we tend to "respect from afar" relatives who don't give a hoot about carrying the weight of their extended family members and when these type of people drop something once in a blue moon, these ungrateful relatives tend to appreciate it more than you that have been offering it regularly! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Thunday1005(m): 5:20pm On Apr 18, 2019
Always check ur spending meter everyday
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by boiz2men(m): 5:25pm On Apr 18, 2019
I'm happy I'm my family ATM
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Elmuktari(m): 5:29pm On Apr 18, 2019
I always see this kind of post a way to become stingy but this very one makes difference. thanks OP.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by agarawu23(m): 5:35pm On Apr 18, 2019
That doesn't mean you will become stingy. Nobody dey carry money go anywhere. We die here and leave all the money we are saving.

Help people, help your families but be wise.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by boiz2men(m): 5:44pm On Apr 18, 2019
chibuzorAbia:

Be stingy if you wish to, it is your right and your money. I am very "stingy" according to them but guess what? My children are getting secured and getting a very good life. I give only when I can, or when I have loose change knocking about.
don't be hard fisted to family guy
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by chibuzorAbia: 5:51pm On Apr 18, 2019
boiz2men:
don't be hard fisted to family guy

I dey my house for Ajah, come and arrest me. Bring my extended family along and see if "Bingo" will not tear you all into pieces. Nonsense!!!

3 Likes

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by chigo5(m): 5:51pm On Apr 18, 2019
Pavore9:
Insightful. Family members give wide berth to those who stick to not being an ATM. Your income is primarily for your immediate family, be up to date with your health insurance, life assurance, investments etc whatever remains one can choose to extend to extended family members.

Just this afternoon, I was thinking of a neighbour of ours back in the 90s who was like his extended family's "messiah", he was catering for his brothers' families as his 2 elder brothers had 15 children between them. By the time he got married in his early 40s, his finances were plummeting, health issues arose and died within 7 years of being married leaving the wife with 3 young children. From 3 bedroom flat apartment to one room, the wife had to start selling food at the bus stop, while her late husband's nephews and nieces who were by then earning comfortably were least bothered.
this write up jst reminds me of my pman, help trained his niece and nephews Buh couldn't train his wen he got his, the man late now Buh the pips he trained no ask hwfa wen he Dey sick Dey go meet ancestor na to show off for im burial dem do for am.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Darevofpeace(m): 5:57pm On Apr 18, 2019
BoboDodo:
That is my goal in life, exactly to become the family ATM.
I would love to be able to help everybody as many times as I can. Nothing gives me more joy
Have a life assurance for your family and be prepared for occasional emotional outburst. When you give out to people a whole lots and they do not reciprocate. It tends to open a 'deep wound' unnoticed on your mind.Before
You get caught with 'Mother Theresa bug'
Put great caution in your giving.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Ugosample(m): 5:57pm On Apr 18, 2019
Pavore9:

Very Igbo!. Some of us seek "validation" from it at the expense of our nuclear family well-being but ironically we tend to "respect from afar" relatives who don't give a hoot about carrying the weight of their extended family members and when these type of people drop something once in a blue moon, these ungrateful relatives tend to appreciate it more than you that have been offering it regularly! cheesy

nwanne o gwuru ike undecided
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Rubbiish(m): 6:02pm On Apr 18, 2019
Preetti:
I was the ATM now that there's no money they stopped calling
Yes that is the right thing for them to do & they appreciate all u have done for them

1 Like

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by boiz2men(m): 6:08pm On Apr 18, 2019
chibuzorAbia:

I dey my house for Ajah, come and arrest me. Bring my extended family along and see if "Bingo" will not tear you all into pieces. Nonsense!!!
lol talking about immediate family
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by LesbianBoy(m): 6:13pm On Apr 18, 2019
Hedonini:
I'm very proud to be my family's ATM. And by family I mean, the main the main family ( children , mum and dad, and siblings, and wife ). I hope to be an inexhaustible ATM that never has insufficient funds for this category of people. Working night and day to reach that point. Let them wreck me if they can. Will all pleasure, would be my refrain.

So you are married with kids? O ga o! shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by capitalzero: 6:16pm On Apr 18, 2019
toluxa1:
​Don’t Become The Family ATM

Helping people is good but make sure it is not at the expense of your immediate family & your future.

"Black Tax" - The extra money that black professionals give every month to support their "less fortunate" friends & family.

This causes many not to have savings​ as it impacts ​on ​the ability to be able to save and build generational wealth.

Saving can be difficult in a country like Nigeria where some people almost abdicate their financial responsibilities to you if you allow them.

The following should help:

1. Pay yourself first
- ​T​ake care of your own immediate family needs.
-​ Be number 1 on your priority list

2. Save
- ​​Make use of locked up savings that you can't touch.
- Several apps exist now that can help you do this on your phone.

3. Set a black tax budget.......and stick to it!.
- People find a way to move to other people when they can't get money from you.

4​. Spend on necessities
​- You don't have to buy every "Aso Ebi" especially if you can't afford it

​​5​. Learn to say "No!"​, ​particularly if you cannot afford it

6​. Help others become rich
- If you are the only rich man in your family, you are a poor man!
- Don't just give them fish, teach the to fish.

Source
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6523869306776879104

very. I have buget for charity and extended family. I stick to it. the truth you cannot solve financial problems of other people. you can only assist them in solving them.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by JOMAX: 6:18pm On Apr 18, 2019
DAramis:
Your opinion is really biased. It is good to help but must be at a limit. Most times, it is even better to empty your account if the case is extreme.

Like my father once said, it makes no sense that you have money on your account while the family goes hungry.

Some people will never bring out money to help someone but once such person dies, the will bring enough money for his or her burial. May God never allow us to have such people in our lives
Abeg na wu b family?
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by capitalzero: 6:21pm On Apr 18, 2019
Hedonini:
I'm very proud to be my family's ATM. And by family I mean, the main the main family (children, mum and dad, and siblings, and wife). I hope to be an inexhaustible ATM that never has insufficient funds for this category of people. Working night and day to reach that point. Let them wreck me if they can. Will all pleasure, would be my refrain.

As for any so-called relatives or extended family members, those ones can starve to death or even burn to ashes for all I care. Habitually ungrateful and malicious lot.

yes oh. most extended family members are ungrateful.

1 Like

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Icon79(m): 6:24pm On Apr 18, 2019
Wow. Nigerians are a special breed indeed!

O pari

FruitCakes:
My uncle came back from abroad rich,, everyone surrounded him.
Now that he's broke they are nowhere to be found
That taught me a valid lesson
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 18, 2019
LesbianBoy:

So you are married with kids? O ga o! shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin
E be like say you no do present future tense for school. Lol. Fill in the gap. Family members, current and 'in view'.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 18, 2019
capitalzero:

yes oh. most extended family members are ungrateful.

Ungrateful na Understatement. I don't even mind an ungrateful sibling or child, they would come around. We're bound together anyway. It's deep. And my love for these people is completely selfless. But you see some stupid, wicked relatives ba? Na Ogun go punish them. Talking from very very very bitter family experience.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by capitalzero: 6:38pm On Apr 18, 2019
Hedonini:

Ungrateful na Understatement. I don't even mind an ungrateful sibling or child, they would come around. We're bound together anyway. It's deep. And my love for these people is completely selfless. But you see some stupid, wicked relatives ba? Na Ogun go punish them. Talking from very very very bitter family experience.

yes oh. crazy relatives. I avoid them like plaque.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by eyinjuege: 7:16pm On Apr 18, 2019
grafixdon:

Receive sense brother. Don't be too quick to call someone weak when you don't know the story. I have a aged mother. She has lost many of her children in the past (my siblings) I don't want to cause her more grief. That my brother can do it, he has drank bleach before and have attempted many suicides.

He's very handsome but find it difficult to steak with one woman, he doesn't have a good job, he stays in one room self contained. He's not doing well as such, sometimes he thinks the best is to end it.

This your story is strong o. Why not look for a psychologist so he can get some counselling? I hope he's seeing a psychiatrist already
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by IprintMONEY: 7:20pm On Apr 18, 2019
Bleep your father, if i am not my family atm, na olosho atm i go be? i swear if you where close to me i for woze u better slap.
any month my sis, fiancee and my mom and other siblings dont withdraw or demand at least 1.5 m from me, i get pissed with all of them who am i getting the money for if i die what happens to the money na. use your fucking brain man
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by IprintMONEY: 7:24pm On Apr 18, 2019
DAramis:
Your opinion is really biased. It is good to help but must be at a limit. Most times, it is even better to empty your account if the case is extreme.

Like my father once said, it makes no sense that you have money on your account while the family goes hungry.

Some people will never bring out money to help someone but once such person dies, the will bring enough money for his or her burial. May God never allow us to have such people in our lives
na only u make sense here. i hate people that attach too much importance to money. u deserve an account boost
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by LesbianBoy(m): 7:52pm On Apr 18, 2019
Hedonini:

E be like say you no do present future tense for school. Lol. Fill in the gap. Family members, current and 'in view'.

As I see "I am proud to be my family's ATM".....I was just too shocked seeing you write that I didn't bother to read everything! Na now I just calm down read am! cheesy cheesy But wait, that aside so you hope to get married? Haaa! You wey like jaiye jaiye. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Martinez39(m): 8:03pm On Apr 18, 2019
IprintMONEY:
Bleep your father, if i am not my family atm, na olosho atm i go be? i swear if you where close to me i for woze u better slap.
any month my sis, fiancee and my mom and other siblings dont withdraw or demand at least 1.5 m from me, i get pissed with all of them who am i getting the money for if i die what happens to the money na. use your fucking brain man
Beggi Beggi, go and hustle. Stop the defense mechanism. This thread won't stop your maga from giving you money so calm down. Nothing spoil.

1 Like

Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by Nobody: 8:31pm On Apr 18, 2019
LesbianBoy:

As I see "I am proud to be my family's ATM".....I was just too shocked seeing you write that I didn't bother to read everything! Na now I just calm down read am! cheesy cheesy But wait, that aside so you hope to get married? Haaa! You wey like jaiye jaiye. grin grin grin grin grin

Marriage no fit stop jaiye jaiye. Man must sabi how to indoctrinate and orientate woman. She must understand her position, accept reality, and align happily.
Re: Don't Become The Family ATM by myself13: 9:12pm On Apr 18, 2019
pansophist:
I was that guy, I used to always give anyone that ask money from me, I was that generous. Until it dawn on me that my discretionary act of kindness was seen as their right, and a medium to be exploited and ransacked, to a point where I was ridiculed for refusing to be used. Imagine hearing gossips by people you helped, calling you stupid and disclosing all the nice things you've done for them. That's humans for you.

Right now, the only people I'll ever assist are my parents. That's all. Sometimes, the meanest people are the kindest, whom have been bitten and refuse to be a victim for their own sanity.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Brother's Wife Wants to Sleep With Me / How To Find If A Child Is Yours Or Not Without A DNA Test / Parents Loving One Of Their Children More Than The Others: Your Opinion

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.