Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,463 members, 7,816,085 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:35 AM

Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights (12550 Views)

Nigeria Drags UK's Crime Agency To Court Over £150 Million Abacha Loot / Orji Kalu Admitted To Holding Cell After Conviction [Photos] / Onnoghen Appeals Conviction By CCT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Samsonklin(m): 6:37am On Apr 19, 2019
wink2015:

What do you mean by the word "we"

Stop using collective words to describe your love for a rickety common crimminal.

Who Ibori help?

Let him use it. “We” love him like that. He will one day become the president of Nigeria.
He’s a criminal. You’re right. But common? I don’t think so. He’s not a common criminal. I rather be convicted like that than be convicted for armed robbery. There’s a difference bros #peace
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by subcbouy: 6:41am On Apr 19, 2019
robar has no place in my state, lobatan!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by subcbouy: 6:42am On Apr 19, 2019
Quality20:
we d ppl of delta are proud of our son and leader james onanefe ibori. shebi na delta money he chop?
Abeg remove me from your "we" abeg biko. I can't condole one man robar

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by subcbouy: 6:53am On Apr 19, 2019
Afonja007:
the way northerners and my brother's dey praise these jihadist buhari you go think say buhari no dey when gandollar dey pack money inside his babariga
Afonja James bond, you can mobilize arrest naw!
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by bleskid: 7:25am On Apr 19, 2019
naked
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by doggedfighter(f): 7:27am On Apr 19, 2019
zoedew:
Unrepentant thief! Were his trial in China his appeal would be in the grave. A visit to Delta State will reveal the mindless looting of its finances by Ibori and his successors in government.

I swear. So much money yet nothing to show for it
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Bizibi(m): 7:34am On Apr 19, 2019
zoedew:
Unrepentant thief! Were his trial in China his appeal would be in the grave. A visit to Delta State will reveal the mindless looting of its finances by Ibori and his successors in government.
as if this one is from delta state, mtcheeeeeeeeew.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by symbianDON(m): 7:34am On Apr 19, 2019
ufuosco:
Nigeria future President.. If you know hit like button
God forbid!!! tufia

1 Like

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by zoedew: 7:42am On Apr 19, 2019
Bizibi:
as if this one is from delta state, mtcheeeeeeeeew.

I understand. That’s how far you see!
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Bizibi(m): 7:44am On Apr 19, 2019
zoedew:

I understand. That’s how far you see!
eyah!!!!
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by zoedew: 7:47am On Apr 19, 2019
doggedfighter:

I swear. So much money yet nothing to show for it

Oh, sure! Ask Prof. Pat Utomi a prominent Deltan who knows more than he utters about the ruin Delta State had become through the decades under exconvict Ibori and his successors! The other day when I visited Delta State I came close to tears at the site of good governance not delivered and a people largely conditioned to eating tomorrow today!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Bizibi(m): 7:53am On Apr 19, 2019
zoedew:

Oh, sure! Ask Prof. Pat Utomi a prominent Deltan who knows more than he utters about the ruin Delta State had become through the decades under exconvict Ibori and his successors! The other day when I visited Delta State I came close to tears at the site of good governance not delivered and a people largely conditioned to eating tomorrow today!
look ibori is the best delta state governor until uduaghan messed everything up now the present governor is trying but slow in delivering the good governance delta state need.the real problem started when uduaghan was governor and all of us supported ogoboru to oust him then.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by DWJOBScom(m): 7:54am On Apr 19, 2019
mknigeriagreat:
All of una never see anything. By the time this my general is properly sworn in come May 29, a lot of the looters will even be on exile in pakistan and afganistan and will still be extradited. Buhari has nothing to loose again but has everything to gain to his name and integrity. Like him or hate him, he is a different breed among our politicians. No element of diplomacy in him. He only believes in doing the right thing. Age might not be on his side anymore which pains me that we never had him at a younger age but he wont take bullshit. For all i know justice must be served. Even that deziani should be brought down now. It is time.

You will be disappointed again
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by zoedew: 7:55am On Apr 19, 2019
Bizibi:
look ibori is the best delta state governor until uduaghan messed everything up now the present governor is trying but slow in delivering the good governance delta state need.the real problem started when uduaghan was governor and all of us supported ogoboru to oust him then.

I guess you have a better understanding how blessed you are to have Ibori govern Delta State.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by castrol180(m): 7:58am On Apr 19, 2019
sarrki:

Homepage
FeaturedNigeria
Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK to European Court of Human Rights
By editor - 2 mins ago

James Ibori

Esther Oluku

A former Governor of Delta State, Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has dragged the United Kingdom to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, France, in a bid to quash his conviction by a London court.

The attestation papers, filed in this respect, were received by the European court on April 16, 2019.

The foundation of Ibori’s appeal, according to the papers filed by his counsel, rests on his claim that Britain disobeyed its own laws all in a rush to get him convicted.

His counsel argued that “this application concerns an unusual provision of United Kingdom law: s17 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (‘RIPA’).

According to the former governor’s counsel, “it prohibits any reference, in any proceedings, to an intercepted communication or its contents- e.g. an intercepted phone call – in circumstances in which its origin as an intercepted communication is disclosed or could be inferred. The United Kingdom is virtually unique in having such a provision: intercepted communications are used routinely as evidence in court proceedings throughout Europe and the rest of the world.

Ibori’s counsel alleged that the “operation of Section 17 of RIPA, as applied in the highly unusual circumstances of his case, resulted in a violation of Ibori’s rights pursuant to Article 6 of ECHR”.

He further argued that this actually is the crux of the matter, because Britain’s failure to obey its own laws has rendered every other thing that followed, including his guilty plea later, defective.

Ibori went on appeal after pleading guilty. But his counsel said, in the appeal papers filed at the European Court of Human Rights, that Ibori had pleaded guilty to criminal offences but subsequently applied for permission to appeal his convictions in light of the disclosure of new material.

According to his counsel, it is this “new material” which surfaced later that Ibori is predicating this appeal on.

Related Post

Again, THISDAY Journalist Wins Nordica Media Merit Award

Two Die in Ibadan Tanker Accident
Ibori’s counsels said in the case filed at the EU Court of Human Rights that at one of the court’s sittings, “Ms Sasha WASS QC (‘SWQC’), who had previously been instructed to prosecute the applicant (Ibori), sent a note to the Court of Appeal (‘the Wass Note’).

The counsels argued that, “it was a highly unusual note because it provided information, which could easily identify the source of the new material on which the Applicant’s appeal was based. However, in a reverse twist, such disclosure is prohibited in all court proceedings by Section 17 of RIPA”.

In an effort to attempt to comply with Section 17 of RIPA for the remainder of the hearing, the Court of Appeal imposed ‘Ground Rules’ on the parties, which limited what the applicant’s counsel could refer to in his submissions.

The applicant submitted to the Court of Appeal – and submits in this application – that Section 17 of RIPA, combined with the ‘Ground Rules’, prevented him from properly developing his submissions before the Court of Appeal, adding that “as a result his appeal hearing was unfair.”

This development, it was learnt, is the major plank on which Ibori’s case rests.

The former governor appealed to the EU Court of Appeal because a London Appeal Court had refused to interrogate this submission and actually ruled that the issue of what is now known as “the Wass Note” was a no-go area.

He alleged that Britain denied him his rights to fair trial – which is recognised everywhere in the free world.

His appeal was based on the following issues: “That identified corrupt British Police Officers were responsible for the conduct of the case against him. That they deliberately withheld prosecution evidence, which had it been disclosed at the correct time would have prevented any guilty pleas being entered. That the prosecution failed to follow the legally required RIPA procedure as stipulated in British Law.”

He alleged that the Court of Appeal ruled against him and went further to refuse him leave to bring an appeal on the case they had just determined

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/04/19/ibori-appeals-conviction-drags-uk-to-european-court-of-human-rights/amp/

Sarrki, it seems you wake and sleep inside nairaland
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Bizibi(m): 7:58am On Apr 19, 2019
zoedew:

I guess you have a better understanding how blessed you are to have Ibori govern Delta State.
hehehehehehe,smh,I forgot I communicating with an APC sycophant.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by mknigeriagreat: 8:00am On Apr 19, 2019
DWJOBScom:

You will be disappointed again

Like onoghene case abi? Chest beaters always making noise. Dasuki dey prison dey cool off as a northerner nothing happened. Onoghene don cast nothing happened. So na ex convict we no fo fit send fo jail again? A new era a new nigeria boy. Wake up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by zoedew: 8:14am On Apr 19, 2019
Bizibi:
hehehehehehe,smh,I forgot I communicating with an APC sycophant.

Fallacy of hasty conclusion! You fatally omitted to visit my profile for a view of my posts et al! You would have been better informed! This, in fact, is not about politics but good governance and crime!!!

1 Like

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Bizibi(m): 8:15am On Apr 19, 2019
zoedew:

Fallacy of hasty conclusion! You fatally omitted to visit my profile for a view of my posts et al! You would have been better informed! This, in fact, is not about politics but good governance and crime!!!
hehehehehehe, yea!! That is what they always say.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Ijaya123: 8:38am On Apr 19, 2019
ufuosco:
Nigeria future President.. If you know hit like button

An ex-convict cannot take up public office again for life. Ignorance is indeed bliss.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by fakoo1: 8:41am On Apr 19, 2019
someone took me through plumstead on our way to thamesmed and he said see the prison where they kept ibori and alam.The prison is beautiful and so ibori wan come back
sarrki:

Homepage
FeaturedNigeria
Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK to European Court of Human Rights
By editor - 2 mins ago

James Ibori

Esther Oluku

A former Governor of Delta State, Chief James Onanefe Ibori, has dragged the United Kingdom to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg, France, in a bid to quash his conviction by a London court.

The attestation papers, filed in this respect, were received by the European court on April 16, 2019.

The foundation of Ibori’s appeal, according to the papers filed by his counsel, rests on his claim that Britain disobeyed its own laws all in a rush to get him convicted.

His counsel argued that “this application concerns an unusual provision of United Kingdom law: s17 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (‘RIPA’).

According to the former governor’s counsel, “it prohibits any reference, in any proceedings, to an intercepted communication or its contents- e.g. an intercepted phone call – in circumstances in which its origin as an intercepted communication is disclosed or could be inferred. The United Kingdom is virtually unique in having such a provision: intercepted communications are used routinely as evidence in court proceedings throughout Europe and the rest of the world.

Ibori’s counsel alleged that the “operation of Section 17 of RIPA, as applied in the highly unusual circumstances of his case, resulted in a violation of Ibori’s rights pursuant to Article 6 of ECHR”.

He further argued that this actually is the crux of the matter, because Britain’s failure to obey its own laws has rendered every other thing that followed, including his guilty plea later, defective.

Ibori went on appeal after pleading guilty. But his counsel said, in the appeal papers filed at the European Court of Human Rights, that Ibori had pleaded guilty to criminal offences but subsequently applied for permission to appeal his convictions in light of the disclosure of new material.

According to his counsel, it is this “new material” which surfaced later that Ibori is predicating this appeal on.

Related Post

Again, THISDAY Journalist Wins Nordica Media Merit Award

Two Die in Ibadan Tanker Accident
Ibori’s counsels said in the case filed at the EU Court of Human Rights that at one of the court’s sittings, “Ms Sasha WASS QC (‘SWQC’), who had previously been instructed to prosecute the applicant (Ibori), sent a note to the Court of Appeal (‘the Wass Note’).

The counsels argued that, “it was a highly unusual note because it provided information, which could easily identify the source of the new material on which the Applicant’s appeal was based. However, in a reverse twist, such disclosure is prohibited in all court proceedings by Section 17 of RIPA”.

In an effort to attempt to comply with Section 17 of RIPA for the remainder of the hearing, the Court of Appeal imposed ‘Ground Rules’ on the parties, which limited what the applicant’s counsel could refer to in his submissions.

The applicant submitted to the Court of Appeal – and submits in this application – that Section 17 of RIPA, combined with the ‘Ground Rules’, prevented him from properly developing his submissions before the Court of Appeal, adding that “as a result his appeal hearing was unfair.”

This development, it was learnt, is the major plank on which Ibori’s case rests.

The former governor appealed to the EU Court of Appeal because a London Appeal Court had refused to interrogate this submission and actually ruled that the issue of what is now known as “the Wass Note” was a no-go area.

He alleged that Britain denied him his rights to fair trial – which is recognised everywhere in the free world.

His appeal was based on the following issues: “That identified corrupt British Police Officers were responsible for the conduct of the case against him. That they deliberately withheld prosecution evidence, which had it been disclosed at the correct time would have prevented any guilty pleas being entered. That the prosecution failed to follow the legally required RIPA procedure as stipulated in British Law.”

He alleged that the Court of Appeal ruled against him and went further to refuse him leave to bring an appeal on the case they had just determined

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/04/19/ibori-appeals-conviction-drags-uk-to-european-court-of-human-rights/amp/

Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by BuhariAdvocate: 8:50am On Apr 19, 2019
grin yeye dey smell. This one dey go to place of no return.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 19, 2019
zoedew:
Go to their teaching hospital. You'd weep for them. No functional equipment. All those bought years ago have packed up. Don't dare visit their NICU because any baby put there will survive only by God's grace. He built a teaching hospital for them at inflated contract price. The successive governments just abandoned it, including a medical doctor turned politician, former governor, uduaghan. Delta state is supposed to be a tourist attraction to the world today, given the huge allocations they receive every year with such a small population. They only share the money.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by Chimaokigwe: 10:46am On Apr 19, 2019
fakoo1:
someone took me through plumstead on our way to thamesmed and he said see the prison where they kept ibori and alam.The prison is beautiful and so ibori wan come back

I guess the prison Ibori stayed in the UK is better than the entire Delta state.

Delta state deserves all it gets, I don't pity that state. I only pity the innocent Deltans who have no part in this madness.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by hibee4uall(m): 12:15pm On Apr 19, 2019
post=77665371:
Hian.. there is a case there Sha.. great Britain shot themselves in the foot

Not at all, confessional statements (evidence) is the highest and strongest evidence against the accused anywhere in the world.
The fact is, foreign lawyers have learned from their Nigerian counterpart that nigerian politicians can turn a lawyer to a millionaire/billionaire over night if properly brainwashed.
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by wealth2al(m): 2:07pm On Apr 19, 2019
Re: Ibori Appeals Conviction, Drags UK To European Court Of Human Rights by orisa37: 5:43pm On Apr 19, 2019
Exhume Alamieyesigha as your Witness.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Answer Your Query, Yakasai Tells Emir Sanusi / Anambra: Voting Continues Today As System Failure Mars Election / Another Bomb Blast In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.