Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,260 members, 7,822,317 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:57 AM

US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview (59592 Views)

Asian Crew Killed 2 Stowaway Nigerians On Japanese Ship, Threw Some Into Sea / The Reality About Kazakhstan And Warning To Nigerians / Oyinbo Man Spotted Hawking Soft Drinks To Nigerians In UK Traffic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by OROSUNBOLB(m): 10:20am On Apr 19, 2019
ajebuter:
From an incident l witnessed at the US Consulate in Lagos, l conclude that getting US visa depends on three thing:

1... Applicant's HONESTY
2. Luck
3.. Mood of the interviewer..

In 2004, l had an appointment with an American lady (not visa interview) and she requested l meet with her at her office in US consulate.
There in front of me, a stark illiterate woman who could not speak English was issued a visa.
The white lady that interviewed her asked for help in translating for the old woman and l volunteered to translate.

Right after the interview questions l answered on behalf of the old woman, she was told to pick up her visa three days later..

I asked the white lady why she issued the illiterate old woman a visa, and she responded that she could read in the body language of the woman as well as her eyes that she was HONEST..

She said most applicants are not HONEST and try to play smart with them...She also confirmed that most of them interviewers are well-grounded in Human Psychology and can tell liars from their body language and eyes..

My conclusion?

1.. Be honest and sincere
2. Hope for luck
3. Anticipate a friendly interviewer in good mood...

Anyway, l could be wrong sha.

You are so right .

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by iammo(m): 10:22am On Apr 19, 2019
MPESA:

Why can't you and your likes can't do without politicizing everything....
Seriously APC is a curse to the development of Nigeria.

The word Idii00t comes from an old democratic greek word that refers to people who think politics is non of their business, forgeting their lives, cost of living, basic laws, standard of living, life direction academic curriculum all boils down to politics and governance.

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by GavelSlam: 10:23am On Apr 19, 2019
UyaiIncomparabl:

Speaking of travel history. How many countries are too much for one to have a decent travel history?

You can never have too much.

Especially if they are similarly advanced nations.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 10:27am On Apr 19, 2019
GavelSlam:

You can never have too much.

Especially if they are similarly advanced nations.

Ok. Thanks for your time. smiley

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by MPESA(m): 10:30am On Apr 19, 2019
iammo:

The word Idii00t comes from an old democratic greek word that refers to people who think politics is non of their business, forgeting their lives, cost of living, basic laws, standard of living, life direction academic curriculum all boils down to politics and governance.

You ain't making sense bro, have a rethink and stop politicizing everything because at the end we do make ourselves f...**ls.
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Guruindahouse(m): 10:31am On Apr 19, 2019
Thats good to hear. Does he have any scholarship or any fee waiver from his university?
handsomeyinka:

That’s not true..
A friend of my just got a student visa last month..
I sponsored him and what I have in my bbt bank account was less than his tuition fees.

My available balance was less than $4000 and his tuition fees was $8,300.He was granted visa.
I just think it’s all about luck and destiny.
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by handsomeyinka(m): 10:33am On Apr 19, 2019
Guruindahouse:
Thats good to hear. Does he have any scholarship or any fee waiver from his university?
No scholarship or fee waiver
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by iammo(m): 10:37am On Apr 19, 2019
MPESA:

You ain't making sense bro, have a rethink and stop politicizing everything because at the end we do make ourselves f...**ls.

Your mind is so little that you cant see the bigger picture,

grin

You either politicize everything and clearly see US politics and policies rob us.daily or you continue living blindly under them. Its your choice man, atiku never denied paying a lobby group and many legitimate travelers got rejected for visa without commiting half as high as atikus grand corruption

1 Like 1 Share

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Sparkle777(f): 10:42am On Apr 19, 2019
Naija ppl no dey waste money for American visas now,the thing they pain dem die. Dem want us to still be doing mumu when Canada sure pass.

But can we be honest for a minute. Most of y'all applying for US Visa don't have any plans of coming back. I have a friend that spearheads condemning US embassy of denying us visa,he is very vocal abt it but I know,he told me of cos,that once he steps foot in America, he will never come back. He is even willing to marry a whitey and get situated there,he will be sending home money.

But the in country now is Canada, good thing they give visas more than America.

5 Likes

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by wickyyolo: 10:42am On Apr 19, 2019
GavelSlam:

I don't claim to be an expert.

All I can say is that honesty is the best policy.

Your documents have to be authentic.

Pay your fees to an appreciable level and show evidence of support.

Don't try to lie.

I know we like to say "forget" but that's the way I know.

I have the money to pay the fees and i have been given admission. Should i pay the school fees first or i should pay after im granted Visa ?
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Akmike1983: 10:44am On Apr 19, 2019
I so so wish to get dis Visa
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by GavelSlam: 10:49am On Apr 19, 2019
wickyyolo:

I have the money to pay the fees and i have been given admission. Should i pay the school fees first or i should pay after im granted Visa ?

Pay before applying if you can.

Schools would refund if no visa is granted.

Hope you can also provide evidence of support for the length of stay?

Don't provide dagbo Abeg.

I know you didn't say so but it's a forewarning.

4 Likes

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Skoopy(m): 10:51am On Apr 19, 2019
This country is using us for business, we add substantially to their revenue through visa applications. Anyways, they are not to be blamed but our leaders.

4 Likes

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Ugosample(m): 10:51am On Apr 19, 2019
Afonja007:
I want American and European embassies to make it mandatory that every one must be interviewed in his or her mother's tongue ,so all this am igbo but I don't speak igbo will stop, if you don't know how to speak your mother's tongue stay in your country angry,many my papa tell me say I be igbo full Lagos and is terrible,the only place a Nigerian behaves his or her self is in Europe or north American embassies angry

What sort of stupid talk is that "my papa tell me I be igbo"

Does any one needs to tell you your ancestry?

Common sense una no get

3 Likes

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by wickyyolo: 10:53am On Apr 19, 2019
GavelSlam:

Pay before applying if you can.

Schools would refund if no visa is granted.

Hope you can also provide evidence of support for the length of stay?

Don't provide dagbo Abeg.

I know you didn't say so but it's a forewarning.

I have evidence of support. I didnt want to use my personal account. Im using another person bank statement. Let it not be that i will run away. Let it seem as though someone will always be sending me money
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by VULCAN(m): 10:58am On Apr 19, 2019
Relating visa refusals to Atiku's trip to US is not politics.

Most would call that stupidity.

I call it Zombiesm.

iammo:

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by GavelSlam: 11:03am On Apr 19, 2019
wickyyolo:

I have evidence of support. I didnt want to use my personal account. Im using another person bank statement. Let it not be that i will run away. Let it seem as though someone will always be sending me money

Now this is the complication.

You need to show a steady and verifiable means of support by your sponsor.

This is not 30 million at one swoop but a steady flow of say a million over a good period of time.

In addition, your closenes to the sponsor is important, as he or she can disappoint you whilst away.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Nobody: 11:04am On Apr 19, 2019
ajebuter:
From an incident l witnessed at the US Consulate in Lagos, l conclude that getting US visa depends on three thing:

1... Applicant's HONESTY
2. Luck
3.. Mood of the interviewer..

In 2004, l had an appointment with an American lady (not visa interview) and she requested l meet with her at her office in US consulate.
There in front of me, a stark illiterate woman who could not speak English was issued a visa.
The white lady that interviewed her asked for help in translating for the old woman and l volunteered to translate.

Right after the interview questions l answered on behalf of the old woman, she was told to pick up her visa three days later..

I asked the white lady why she issued the illiterate old woman a visa, and she responded that she could read in the body language of the woman as well as her eyes that she was HONEST..

She said most applicants are not HONEST and try to play smart with them...She also confirmed that most of them interviewers are well-grounded in Human Psychology and can tell liars from their body language and eyes..

My conclusion?

1.. Be honest and sincere
2. Hope for luck
3. Anticipate a friendly interviewer in good mood...

Anyway, l could be wrong sha.

Old people are more likely to be granted visas because the embassy believes they are going there to see their children, so will definitely return. If you're a young person, though, they will conclude that u have other intentions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Johnterryfama(m): 11:12am On Apr 19, 2019
MacTv:

The United States of America Embassy in Nigeria has clarified that dress code is not a requirement for obtaining the country's visa.

Speaking during a Facebook live session on Wednesday, the consular officers said that the applicants could come with their traditional wears as it makes look unique.

The officials addressed the common mistakes seen on DS 160 application form, stating that no one needs to have someone residing in the US and also no prior travelling experience is needed before one can be granted visa.

When asked if dress code is being considered during interviews, an official said: “No. It’s not a consideration when doing your interview.

“Be comfortable. Don’t feel like you need to put on a suit if you don’t usually wear a suit. Don’t wear a suit. Wear what you would wear if you are going to any normal appointment.

“We want you to be you. We want you to be as relaxed as possible for the interview. Talk to us.”

Source> https://www.mactvnaija.com/2019/04/us-embassy-sends-message-to-nigerians.html?m=1
meanwhile,
what goes around comes around.
to whom it may concern, www.wapyello.gq is a scam spoiling the good name of nairaland.
the concern, you better find a better job than coursing your self by doping people's hard earned money by false pretends.
my people am a victim to this guys.
when you click on the website, it will take you to where you will be ask to type the sixteen digits of the recharge card. that's is the end of that recharge card. no more no less.
about the screen shorts,
1: it doesn't show the browser address.
2: it can be design using different software's
3: phone contacts can be use as the respondents.
pls be warned.

2 Likes

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by otipoju(m): 11:12am On Apr 19, 2019
onyxo76:
All na scope, no travel history, nothing for you...fact!!

Not true.. my first and only visa ever was a US visa with a virgin passport.

The interviewer wants to know 3 things.

Do you have a valid reason to be in the USA

Do you have the means to support yourself for the duration of your stay

Do you have enough socio-economic ties in Nigeria that will dissuade you from staying permanently?...this is where the previous travel history becomes an advantage...it shows without the need of any other documentation that you will come back.

I read , watched videos and prepared for this 3 minute interview for 3 months.

casual dressing, being relaxed, smiling, cracking a joke to ease the tension, not looking desperate, giving intelligent answers, knowing exactly where you are going, how long you will be staying and why you need to quickly come back , your contact persons full name and your discussions with him/her ( to codedly prove that no be agent dey run your package)

Above all prayer prayer and prayer for favour is important.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by ajebuter(f): 11:16am On Apr 19, 2019
dejibanjo:

Old people are more likely to be granted visas because the embassy believes they are going there to see their children, so will definitely return. If you're a young person, though, they will conclude that u have other intentions.

In my place of work,, quite a lot of us including my younger colleagues travel to US or UK for summer....They grant us visa once we present our Employment Letter and Official Summer Holiday Vacation Letter...( it helps that my organization/company is known by US, UK and quite a number of Embassies)

Bros, for young people, they want to establish the following:
1. You have a good job or commitment that will bring you back

2. Enough financial solvency ( sometimes not)

3. Honesty and transparency of purpose...

7 Likes

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by MPESA(m): 11:18am On Apr 19, 2019
iammo:

Your mind is so little that you cant see the bigger picture,

grin

You either politicize everything and clearly see US politics and policies rob us.daily or you continue living blindly under them. Its your choice man, atiku never denied paying a lobby group and many legitimate travelers got rejected for visa without commiting half as high as atikus grand corruption

The same way pmb did in 1983 before he was ousted from office.... Bro you are so evil for politicizing everything.. Pmb is worse than Atiku+Gej+ Obj combined all together # hypocritical , bigotry and religious fanatic...it's not worthy to be a father to a nation like Nigeria.
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by PeacenLove2: 11:20am On Apr 19, 2019
To get a US visa, you must prove non-immigrant intent.

This means you must have a strong tie to your country.

The strong tie is something that guarantees you will have to come back after your short visit to the US.

Now a strong tie could be your family; married with or without kids. How long you have been married.

A good job, a career that will not be sensible for you to leave just to go to America living as an illegal immigrant, taking menial jobs or whatever.

Travel history; Yes! Absolutely! This is to narrow it down if you have been out before and returned.

Fact is you see them flipping through your passport to see if it's virgin passport or its been busy. It helps them make their decisions quicker.

The Visa Officers don't believe a word out of your mouths or your documents. They rely on their instincts, studying your body language like your level of confidence or your nerves. Then final decision is theirs. This leaves room for errors as people who actually qualify for a visa are been denied and vice versa. Their methods are not just effective enough. Now what is unfair is the visa fee they take from people that are not properly served. The early appointment time and only for you to get maybe 2mins max of Q&A, the condescending attitudes of some VOs etcetera.

Truth be told, it will be hard to ascertain people's intent because we immigrate for different reasons but the US embassy's methods areally unjust.

4 Likes

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by iamJ(m): 11:22am On Apr 19, 2019
BlackfireX:
There was a time Americans and the world troop to Nigeria.....

What happened? Whom did we offend?
wen, lets check history
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by megareal: 11:23am On Apr 19, 2019
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
They grant elderly people visas easily though
Why? Because three of my elderly aunts were never denied visas.
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Ugosample(m): 11:27am On Apr 19, 2019
megareal:
my grand mother's get visas all the time.
But as for my cousins
Ela upon Ela
these embassy people wicked gan
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 19, 2019
megareal:

Well they ain't doing no crime or running away. They are seen as responsible

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by PeacenLove2: 11:32am On Apr 19, 2019
AZeD1:
For 70% of candidates, their application had been decided before they even set foot at the consulate. It why the interviews are most very short.

For the other 30%, your case is in the balance and the interview can swing it in either direction.

Yes, that's pretty much why the application is to be submitted in advance before the interview date. That would have been processed. Some interviews end in seconds because decisions were already made based on your application.
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by Afonja007: 11:33am On Apr 19, 2019
Ugosample:

What sort of stupid talk is that "my papa tell me I be igbo"

Does any one needs to tell you your ancestry?

Common sense una no get
so you never see some igbo people for lagos some of them never visit thier village for once they dont speak or hear igbo language so we call them my papa tell me say i be igbo,are you one of them?
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by megareal: 11:36am On Apr 19, 2019
NwanyiAwkaetiti:
Well they ain't doing no crime or running away. They are seen as responsible

Oh OK. Still makes no sense sha.
Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by megareal: 11:38am On Apr 19, 2019
Ugosample:

my grand mother's get visas all the time.

But as for my cousins

Ela upon Ela

these embassy people wicked gan
The rate of denial of visas to folks around me has made me not even entertain the thought of going there (USA) unless I have real business.

1 Like

Re: US Embassy Sends Message To Nigerians On Dress Code For Visa Interview by uuzba(m): 11:42am On Apr 19, 2019
donkarly:

Lies,my aunty attended an interview last week n the only question was,"have you travelled outside nigeria before" to which she answered no n was refused,solely because she hasn't been outside the country for the first time. They should tell that to the gullible..
I'm very sure, if you yourself were the one to interview Nigerians for visa, you won't just be dashing everybody visa. And it will based on your other observations about them.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures Of Muhammed Buhari International Airport, Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Maiduguri Lockdown In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.