Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil (18167 Views)

Forex Crisis: Our Crude Oil Sold In Advance – NGF / Dangote Refinery To Purchase Our Crude In Dallars To Keep The Price High / Ali Baba Lashes Out : Last Last... We Will Drink Our Crude Oil.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 19, 2019
These are the elders they want us to involve in BIAFRA RESTORATION. oil is all they care for LUNATICS
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by wirinet(m): 11:27am On Apr 19, 2019
sterlingD:

This where we have to think outside the box we can build and have special designated charging ports to charge electric cars at certain price.
How will the charging ports be charged themselves?
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 19, 2019
The planet is phasing out fossil fuel sources to biofuels, nuclear fusion, solar array, energy storagr banks and other renewable energy technologies.

It does not matter if a country like Nigeria is ready to move forward. We do not even have the roads for Driverless cars and delivery robots neither do we have the electric charge points for our cars.

But all I know if that my next car will be Tesla and I will install my charging port at home. And smart business men will build charging points at public parking spaces like malls for us to usr the latest techs.

No barbaric politician can slow down the world, not even Trump, Putin or our Ancestors Buhari and his minions.

It is shameful to be Nigerian

5 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 19, 2019
Awol1:
Mr man of "uncommon commonsense", we must not immediate every goddamn sh*t done in western countries.

UK that promulgated that law have electricity and good economy and jobs for citizens.

France too.

On what ground and foresight was such even conceived?

Nobody is immunned to stupidity after all.
what is your point exactly? Do you even understand why electric vehicles are need iminently? do some researches. the protests that's been going on here and other European countries in the last months are because of global warming/pollutions

Eventually, there will be no more Petrol/diesel Vehicles, it may be happening slowly but it will Eventually be phased out in the UK/France. who then will buy Nigeria's Oil? as The Biggest buyers of Nigeria's oil are the UK.
Even Dubai an Oil producing country are already putting in place facilities in place to embrace the use of Electric Vehicles for when it happens.

Correct me if i am wrong. cheesy i am here to learn Also.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Gatsbythegreat1: 12:08pm On Apr 19, 2019
maryjames9:

Guy, if you cannot afford to buy a generator and fuel it to charge your electric car, there will be charging point everywhere just like there are filling stations. These charging points will get devices that charges your cat within seconds. You will have to pay a stipend to charge these cars to full bars. This is a welcome development. At least you SE and SS people will have your oil to yourself as we won't need it that much except to charge our cars.

Have you ever heard about charging electric cars with generator? Electric car charging points don't run on generators,so without stable power supply,they are useless.So instead of clamp ring for electric cars,we should be working towards stable power supply first and a lot of things will automatically fall in place afterwards...and for the records,I am neither from SE or SS,moreover,so don't just jump into conclusions,u can end up with broken legs.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by naturefellow(m): 12:15pm On Apr 19, 2019
slimfit1:
Nigerians are so funny, where is the power to charge the car the only alternative is hybrid. We like to sound important all the time. Even in the UK, you can not plug it using domestic charger.
you're smart. You just made the first comment a reasonable NGn would make after reading this post. It's evident that Murray Bruce lacks common sense with this bill he's trying to push.
I mean, (let me ask again) where's the power to do anything, let alone to charge electric cars

And as for Ekweremadu, his comment makes me feel he is complicit in the plot by some leaders to frustrate NEPA so there can be high demand for generators they've imported abroadon a large scale for business.

2 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Tapout(m): 12:15pm On Apr 19, 2019
maryjames9:

It will do well. If you can afford an electric car, you can afford the car charger or charge it at designated charging stations. Those stations will still open as Nigerians are going to do business out of these electric car charging stations. You people should stop displaying crass ignorance.

with all due respect sir, ur the one displaying ignorance here. Go and do ur research on the state of electric power supply in those countries operating electric cars.
You cannot compare the number of people who can afford and maintain an electric car to the number of people who can afford a gasoline car. Nigeria does not have a reliable and steady power supply. Even the small amount that is being made available is too costly for the common man to afford with the alledged 30k minimum wage. Do u know how much it's even going to cost u power up an electric car to run for about 6 to 7 hours?? And of cos with our issue with traffic jam, which will amount to about charging ur car twice a day. Nigeria produces about 4k to 6k magawatts of electricity which is not even enough to give us an average of 12hrs of constant power supply and now u want to add electric cars to it. Dont u know there are a lot people living in certain régions of this country who drive cars but don't have electric poles in thier environment not to talk of electrity. They should first of all address the issue with electricity before talking about electric cars. If it's not addressed, electric cars will never do well in this country.
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by sacx: 12:49pm On Apr 19, 2019
The reign of crude oil is coming to an end sooner than expected. I wonder what Nigeria would do then.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Reference(m): 1:54pm On Apr 19, 2019
According to Wikipedia, Karl Benz patented the first two stroke gasoline engine in 1879. By the 1960's the last steam engines were shut down in the United States. Coal had had its day. The substance emipires were built on and buried with was replaced, relegated and today is derided throughout the developed world like a divorced lover.

The new bride, oil, has built the Empire of Nigeria, Arabia and many others, and so it is understandable that the addictive love... the 'I can't live without you...' is holding us captive to her charms even when it is glaring her time is fast fading. Of course coal is still being used to generate cheap electric power but when you compare the relative cost of coal a hundred years ago with its cost now, you will agree with me that it only takes a visionaire like Murray Bruce to realise that the oil regime is coming to a slow and painful end.

The projections are clear. As time goes by intellectuals, unlike most of our distinguished Represenatatives will insist and win the argument that oil is as dirty and destructive to the environment as coal. That has already set the ball rolling for electric vehicles smart automobile makers are investing in to cut down their emission penalties. And these penalties will continue to rise.

But what will actually tip the balance and end effectively the reign of oil empires is that oil reserves are in a certain decline. We have long passed and long consumed all the cheap oil on earth. Oil reserves all through the world have maxed out. At the rate of present population growth oil will become more expensive in the medium term (to Nigeria's benefit) but this will be the final straw to flip the coin in favour of all electric transport and the price of oil will sink, collapsing to its final burial.

Hopefully by then the likes of Ike Ekeweremadu will have long gone... only remembered by our angry children's children in history school as the leaders that squandered the opportunity to get out of the ship before it sank.... just as we remember some of our past leaders and wonder.... what they were smoking when they inherited this unworkable contraption called Nigeria....

As the famous writer and philosopher George Santayana said, '...Those who donot learn history are doomed to repeat it...'
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by justuschi50: 1:57pm On Apr 19, 2019
Bossontop:
I neva see any set of pipu wey hate development and progress like nigerians.......so if oyel finish today naija go follow finish be dat abii??.......no any oda source of foreign exchange abii??......isorait

[img]https://media1./images/05509a6f8fa8ca9924bddaf516f01633/tenor.gif?itemid=10700610[/img]
u need to understand if they allow that the wat poverty go hug Nigeria el it will affect u
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by RichBoy247: 1:57pm On Apr 19, 2019
Can you all hear what the most ranked politician from Biafra is saying?

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by InvertedHammer: 2:04pm On Apr 19, 2019
/
Congratulations to Ike Ekweremadu for being a refined thinker. Boy! I am impressed. That is a pure educated proposal akin to what is obtainable in the western world.

It is all about national interests --a term vast majority of educated illiterates in Nigeria are not conversant with. Developed nations place embargo on products that will affect their economy. Some offer subsidies to local producers to be able to compete effectively in global commerce.
For now, the reality is that Nigeria is very dependent on oil. It will be foolhardy to support electric vehicle which will adversely affect oil prices in future.

Person wey dey sell meat go find ways to protect him market.

/
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Reference(m): 2:16pm On Apr 19, 2019
Tapout:

with all due respect sir, ur the one displaying ignorance here. Go and do ur research on the state of electric power supply in those countries operating electric cars.
You cannot compare the number of people who can afford and maintain an electric car to the number of people who can afford a gasoline car. Nigeria does not have a reliable and steady power supply. Even the small amount that is being made available is too costly for the common man to afford with the alledged 30k minimum wage. Do u know how much it's even going to cost u power up an electric car to run for about 6 to 7 hours?? And of cos with our issue with traffic jam, which will amount to about charging ur car twice a day. Nigeria produces about 4k to 6k magawatts of electricity which is not even enough to give us an average of 12hrs of constant power supply and now u want to add electric cars to it. Dont u know there are a lot people living in certain régions of this country who drive cars but don't have electric poles in thier environment not to talk of electrity. They should first of all address the issue with electricity before talking about electric cars. If it's not addressed, electric cars will never do well in this country.

That is actually nice and I am tempted to say, clap for yourself. But just stop and consider this.

YOU DONOT PUT ON YOUR SEAT BELT DURING AN ACCIDENT BUT BEFORE YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE BEING IN ONE.
YOU DONOT PUT ON A SEAT BELT BECAUSE YOU ARE A BAD DRIVER.
YOU DONOT BUY A CAR AND ASK FOR THE SEAT BELT TO BE REMOVED SO YOU CAN AFFORD IT. ... I suggest you rather ask for the steroe or airconditioning to be sacrificed

Oga. People donot make changes because of all the above. The call for a phase out of gasoline cars is precautionary becayse it will happen some day whether you are ready or not. You donot make gasoline cars sufficiently to be independent of the world. And even if you did to whom will you sell them to if the world has gone electric. Also please when assessing cost, consider the cost of not doing, not just the doing, assess the cost of late doing when all others have done.

We have this mentality in nigeria of crisis management. The idea that, let it be. We will cross the bridge when we get there. Often, the bridge has long been swept away. We are notorious for bad time keeping and planning. I understand it is a black thing but for a nation that not only uses oil but depends on oil FOR EVERY OTHER THING IN LIFE, it behoves on us to be at the fore front of critical thinking and planning.

Like I said earlier coal was to the 20th century what oil is today. Coal is still in use so I cannot see oil out of use in tje forseeable futire except if new scientific discovery determines it to be a dangerous substance but what I see is that when developed countries have switched to electric, it is they who will begin to penalise countries like ours for continued use as China and India are criticised and penalised today. If we are not a fully industrialized and important global power by then....hmmm you will pray you were dead and long gone.
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by NothingDoMe: 2:37pm On Apr 19, 2019
Bossontop:
I neva see any set of pipu wey hate development and progress like nigerians.......so if oyel finish today naija go follow finish be dat abii??.......no any oda source of foreign exchange abii??......isorait

[img]https://media1./images/05509a6f8fa8ca9924bddaf516f01633/tenor.gif?itemid=10700610[/img]
I have never also seen. All they think about is how to chop for today. No plan for tomorrow.
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 19, 2019
What kinda backward minded old polithiefcians do we have making laws for us for goodness sake,even Saudis are moving away from oil and are investing in other sectors....smfh

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by emmaskyblue(m): 2:57pm On Apr 19, 2019
Awol1:
Mr man of "uncommon commonsense", we must not immediate every goddamn sh*t done in western countries.

UK that promulgated that law have electricity and good economy and jobs for citizens.

France too.

They should have continue to eat only cocoa and groundnut during the era of groundnut pyramids.
When GSM was brought to Nigeria by Obj did anybody believed is gona work? The Nitel we had during that period was it efficient? The telcos started building mast and other communication platforms were created. The issue is that if u continue to fear change u will never make progress.
Whether u like it or not the world is fast developing in science and tech. If u fail to key in u would be left behind.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by slimfit1(m): 3:07pm On Apr 19, 2019
naturefellow:
you're smart. You just made the first comment a reasonable NGn would make after reading this post. It's evident that Murray Bruce lacks common sense with this bill he's trying to push.
I mean, (let me ask again) where's the power to do anything, let alone to charge electric cars

And as for Ekweremadu, his comment makes me feel he is complicit in the plot by some leaders to frustrate NEPA so there can be high demand for generators they've imported abroadon a large scale for business.

The senator with no common sense.
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by nkemjacob2(m): 3:41pm On Apr 19, 2019
Depending on the bill written. Definitely electric cars will come to stay. D fact is it will be a gradual process
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by blinksdigits: 3:52pm On Apr 19, 2019
Awol1:

France too.

guy park well must we wait till every thing is balanced as in but the health of the citizenry should be first leaders think progress
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by tee4naija(m): 5:00pm On Apr 19, 2019
A brilliant but wrongly worded bill. Why should Nigeria frustrate the use of electric cars just because we are an oil producing nation? When China,US and other major importers of our crude oil are already adopting the use of electric cars. It is only a matter of time before Nigeria crude oil will be useless. The earlier we started diversifying our economy the better for the country.
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by wirinet(m): 5:13pm On Apr 19, 2019
Tapout:

What people supporting Ben Bruce fail to answer is " WHERE WILL THE ENERGY TO CHARGE THE ELECTRIC CARS COME FROM? Electric cars can't charge themselves. The energy to charge the cars has to come from other sources of energy - Hydo, fossil or alternative energy sources.

Nigeria with an estimated 10 - 12 million cars on Nigerian roads and with Nigeria generating a measly 4000 - 6000Mw, which is not enough to power lagos alone. Where will the electricity to charge the cars come from?

2 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 19, 2019
Some NL commenters just write without understanding how the economy works. Nigeria is most importantly put a developing country having very view industries but having a lot of second tier/subsistence trading and small scale businesses.
Petrol cars vs Electric cars

Let us not forget that the bulk of our revenue more than 80 percent of our revenue comes from petro-dollar/ crude oil sale and this is not going to change in the near future

Also electric car technology is quite expensive at least for the time being and projections into the foreseeable future still has it an expensive and high tech endeavour which our Sick man of a nation has no comparative advantage in, but when it comes to cars run by oil we have local industries thriving, producing these cars. Electric cars importation is going to favour the western countries with the tech to build them and the poor Nigerian is going to bear the brunt of the profit shared and declared by these western based industrial giants.

In as much we cannot stop progress, electric cars have come to stay, but it is not something we should be too happy about, and for those complaining about the smoke emission of Petrol powered cars, these are the realities of a developing economy.

The greatest threat to the survival of many Oil bases economies is Elon musk and his gradual process of making crude as a primary sources of Energy obsolete...
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Tapout(m): 5:28pm On Apr 19, 2019
wirinet:

What people supporting Ben Bruce fail to answer is " WHERE WILL THE ENERGY TO CHARGE THE ELECTRIC CARS COME FROM? Electric cars can't charge themselves. The energy to charge the cars has to come from other sources of energy - Hydo, fossil or alternative energy sources.

Nigeria with an estimated 10 - 12 million cars on Nigerian roads and with Nigeria generating a measly 4000 - 6000Mw, which is not enough to power lagos alone. Where will the electricity to charge the cars come from?

exactly part my argument... Besides that, is electric car our issue presently in this country?? There are other pressing issues to delibrate on aside electric cars. I feel what these guys do in that Senate is too discuss thier own issues and not that of the country.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by xelly: 6:17pm On Apr 19, 2019
Inspectahdeck:
The thoughts of a deputy Senate president of a country hoping to progress....

How and why will the country move forward with these leaders.

I think you need brain.

How will oil producing country be the forerunner of electric car? You should look for means to convince the world to accept oil.
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by xelly: 6:22pm On Apr 19, 2019
Tapout:

exactly part my argument... Besides that, is electric car our issue presently in this country?? There are other pressing issues to delibrate on aside electric cars. I feel what these guys do in that Senate is too discuss thier own issues and not that of the country.

Nigerians shaa, one haven't produced household electricity not to talk of industrial now you want electric powered vehicle. Have they considered the voltage required to charge a car? I can assure you that is not the same as you use in your houses ooo
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by wirinet(m): 6:48pm On Apr 19, 2019
xelly:

Nigerians shaa, one haven't produced household electricity not to talk of industrial now you want electric powered vehicle. Have they considered the voltage required to charge a car? I can assure you that is not the same as you use in your houses ooo
Voltage is not the problem, simple transformer can achieve whatever voltage you need, it's power that is the problem. A 60Kwh capacity electric car has a range of about 300km on an expressway (approximate distance between Lagos and Benin ). At our best capacity of 6000Mw, each Nigerian family of say 6, shares (6,000,000,000/200,000,000)x6 = 180watts. That 180watts is available for an average of 10 hours (being generous). That's makes 1.8kwh. If an average Nigerian family gets only 1.8kwh/day, where will he get the 60Kwh needed to charge his car for daily needs per family car? This same family needs to charge phones and rechargeable lights, iron clothes, cook and boil water, watch TV and other entertainments, etc.
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Unclesamo(m): 7:10pm On Apr 19, 2019
We don't embrace development
Re: Ekweremadu: Frustrate Sales Of Electric Cars In Nigeria To Sell Our Crude Oil by Inspectahdeck(m): 7:30am On Apr 20, 2019
You are the one that needs brain.

The world is changing and a country because of its resources refuse too. Oga the world will leave Nigeria behind.

Silly comment by you,

xelly:

I think you need brain.

How will oil producing country be the forerunner of electric car? You should look for means to convince the world to accept oil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production / How Tinubu ‘killed’ Yoruba Nation Agitation / Elections: Army Raid Hideout, Arrest 6 Suspected Political Thugs In Port Harcour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.