Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,359 members, 7,812,014 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production (18158 Views)

FG Mulls Single Salary Scale For Federal Civil Service MDAs / FG Mulls Handover Of Power Distribution To Siemens / FG Mulls New Tax On Coke, Bigi, Other Soft Drinks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by ijustdey: 8:55am On Feb 25, 2020
The National Assembly and the Federal Ministry of Environment are said to be putting the finishing touches to a bill meant to outlaw the production of plastics in Nigeria. It was gathered that the bill is meant to protect aquatic life in the Gulf of Guinea, of which Nigeria’s territorial waters is directly linked to.

A member of the Senate Committee on Marine Transport, Sen. Tolulope Odebiyi, disclosed this in Lagos at the launch of the Maritime Action Plan for Marine Litter and Plastics Management in Nigeria. Sen. Odebiyi, who drafted the proposed bill, represented the Chairman of the committee, Sen. Danjuma Goje, at the occasion.

The lawmaker said the bill would be harmonised with input from the Federal Ministry of Environment to make a holistic law that would impose tough sanctions on the production of organic polymers.

He stressed that the National Assembly was solidly behind the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA) in the presentation and implementation of the action plan, which envisions the elimination of land-based sources of marine litter within five years. The Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Environment, Hon Johnson Oghuma, also stressed the lower chamber’s commitment to a cleaner environment.

Oghuma said the house was always prepared to assist the executive in the implementation of policies. The Director General of NIMASA, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, lamented that Nigeria was among the 20 countries generating more than 80 per cent of the land-based plastic waste that ended up in the oceans.

Dr. Peterside said the event was organised to raise public awareness about the deleterious effects of marine pollution and chart a national roadmap on solution to the menace. Making further remarks after Dr., Peterside, Sen. Odebiyi said, “I am happy NIMASA has taken the lead in ensuring that our waterways and all our water bodies are clean, safe and a vital source of economic activity for us in this country.”

He added that, “I drafted a bill with regard to plastic pollution and proliferation of plastics in the country. The issue is getting to an alarming state. “NIMASA has taken the lead. But this is the backend of it. We also have to look at the frontend. We are spending billions of naira tiding up the environment; we also have people making billions of naira contributing to this menace.

That is where the bill is aiming. You cannot continue to generate pollution, clog our waterways, cause erosion, flooding and all kinds of things, and some people are making money, knowing fully well that their product is contributing to the pollution.”

The senator also said, “The senate is very much interested in this issue. We see the environment as a vital economic resource for us in this country. We will be working with NIMASA, Federal Ministry of Environment and all the other agencies.”

The Chairman, House Committee on Environment, elaborated that: “We are ready, and by the grace of God, I represent the Speaker in the Committee on Environment. Every legislation on the environment is jealously guarded by the committee. I urge everybody, wherever you are, behave like NIMASA, help us to save our environment.”

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/fg-mulls-bill-to-ban-plastics-production.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by JasonScoolari: 8:55am On Feb 25, 2020
cheesy
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by itsme01: 9:32am On Feb 25, 2020
cool

instead of banning plastics cant we be more civilized and recycle our waste properly or are we that primitive .... alternatives to plastic bags are paper bags which also mean we would be hurting more trees making papers and further risking global warming

81 Likes 7 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by Captainrambo2: 9:36am On Feb 25, 2020
Na polythene and nylon be problem of life. Not plastic abeg angry

Btw how many trees you go fall to replace plastic? Woods re expensive undecided

12 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by helinues: 9:37am On Feb 25, 2020
Long overdue but they better provide the alternative before banning them.

5 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by Dbboy(m): 9:39am On Feb 25, 2020
There goes a country that produces nothing banning people means of livelihoods. What is the percentage of plastic we produce in the world as compared to china or the USA.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by ProWalker: 9:43am On Feb 25, 2020
Anytime I see drainages clogged with fuzzy drinks and water bottle plastics, I always dream of a day the govt will put a policy in place to ban eliminate or reduce the usage of such plastics

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by YoungPerson(m): 9:51am On Feb 25, 2020
grin grin grin grin

My people. My people will start to import nylon. Gbese ko tesumole!

2 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by blackboy2star(m): 9:51am On Feb 25, 2020
Recycling is what should be their top priority...

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by Jobio1(f): 9:52am On Feb 25, 2020
When Buhari steps down the environment will be alright. smiley

6 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by LosC: 9:52am On Feb 25, 2020
Everything will soon be banned in this country
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by PotatoSalad(m): 9:53am On Feb 25, 2020
I'm in full support. Our problem is plastic.
From waterproof to sachet water to beverage plastic bottles.
Pitied a street cleaner this morning on my way back from jogging when one idiot flung plastic fanta bottle out of a moving bus. The young girl stood there devastated.

We should also implement proper waste disposal and recycling. OEPHIUS tell that fat propagandist to replace all his "hands of God" billboards with waste bins.
Since that state started being in the hands of God, things fell apart.

7 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by alizma: 9:53am On Feb 25, 2020
Is like our journalist just discovered this english MULLS.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by ednut1(m): 9:53am On Feb 25, 2020
Hardship kai
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by ybalogs(m): 9:53am On Feb 25, 2020
No jobs in the country and we still want to pass bills to render some people jobless again. Una dey do well. Kontinu

3 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by 2sexycom(m): 9:53am On Feb 25, 2020
I support this...
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by candidbabe(f): 9:54am On Feb 25, 2020
Gy
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:54am On Feb 25, 2020
Ban all plastics!

or

Encourage/ promote mega scale Recycling!
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by ybalogs(m): 9:54am On Feb 25, 2020
ProWalker:
Anytime I see drainages clogged with fuzzy drinks and water bottle plastics, I always dream of a day the govt will put a policy in place to ban eliminate or reduce the usage of such plastics
Do we have a valid substitute to the plastics and the jobs that may be lost when banned??

2 Likes

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by YorubaKinging: 9:54am On Feb 25, 2020
Ban everything lol
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by ybalogs(m): 9:54am On Feb 25, 2020
helinues:
Long overdue but they better provide the alternative before banning them.

Exactly but this is Nigeria.
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by free2ryhme: 9:54am On Feb 25, 2020
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by Leo588(m): 9:55am On Feb 25, 2020
YoungPerson:
grin grin grin grin

My people. My people will start to import nylon. Gbese ko tesumole!

Especially in the markets. The pepper sellers
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by tribalistseun: 9:56am On Feb 25, 2020
Ok
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by nairalee(m): 9:56am On Feb 25, 2020
Keke di ke
Ke ke di ke ke
No go dey do pass yourself

1 Like

Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by mandate12: 9:56am On Feb 25, 2020
Honestly , I'm tired of Nigeria! How can u ban plastic production as a solution to enhancing aquatic life? What happened to recycling?
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by candidbabe(f): 9:56am On Feb 25, 2020
Sai barbar
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 25, 2020
And what are the alternatives?

The sniper you banned to reduce suicide some years ago, how far?

When you are banning, ban with common sense.

If you don't provide viable alternatives, your ban will be ineffectual. Ask Lagos government and the Okada ban.
Re: FG Mulls Bill To Ban Plastics Production by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 25, 2020
OK

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Obaseki: Pastor Adeboye Told Me I Will Overcome, I will Win / Ibrahim David Salami: Nigeria Didn't File Any Case Against Sunday Igboho / New Year Speech: Buhari Was Not Accurately Quoted In News Report - APC Reacts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.