Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,928 members, 7,814,125 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State (11397 Views)

Ortom Asks FG To Account For $1bn Security Fund Jointly Contributed By States / ₦4.2 Trillion Debt Service: Economy Is In Real Crisis, FG Admits / Fowler Replies Kyari, Says Recession, Oil Price Affected Tax Revenue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Onyemadonald(m): 5:22am On Apr 25, 2019
The Society of Women in Taxation (SWIT) has raised concern that 70% of the N5.2 trillion taxes collected in 2018 in Nigeria, came from Lagos State alone. This development shows a lopsided tax base, and also an indication that the long four-year tax reforms and campaign have little impact in the remaining 35 states in Nigeria.

The Chairperson of SWIT, Mrs Justina Okoror, said it is worrisome that 35 states and the FCT contributed a paltry 30% of the total. She also said that to broaden the nation’s tax base, there was the need to expand tax collections into the interior parts of Nigeria, to increase the number of people in the tax pool.

“For instance, out of the trillions of naira generated by the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), 70 per cent came from Lagos, which means that 35 states plus FCT contributed only 30 per cent.” It means that there are so many states with nearly no productive activities happening, and by implication are not paying tax. If Lagos decides to become a sovereign state, Nigeria will not be able to generate any revenue from tax, she said. It’s mostly in the cities that there is a record of organisations paying tax, but in suburbs and local councils, there are no tax collections.

Stressing the need to expand the tax base, Okoror said with some states mining gold, diamond, and other natural resources, there is an urgent need for government to go into the hinterland and increase their revenue base, especially from private companies. Government must take seriously tax revenue generation just like what is being done with crude oil. They should go into these places with natural resources and make it another revenue base, she said.

She however, called on the Federal Government to engage governors on how to make their states viable, to attract investors and create more productive activities that would increase the tax base and revenue generation.
Furthermore, the incoming National Chairperson of SWIT, Kudiirat Abdulhamid, queried government’s increased borrowing, when potential revenue generation is lying idly, saying the increasing obligations is tying the nation’s resources to payment and servicing of the loan that is being taken.

She said that revenue generation through taxation is more sustainable, especially when such resources are judiciously tailored towards development projects that would benefit the people. It is the responsibility of government to provide basic amenities for the comfort of the citizens, while the citizens have the responsibility to pay directly or indirectly for it, she said the present situation in the country is not inspiring.

“I agree with people complaining over government borrowing, but if citizens pay taxes and it is judiciously utilised for provision of this services, people will be eager to pay more. But when government borrows money without providing infrastructures, citizens would become angry,” she said.

SOURCE:. https://www.trendingaccounting.com/2019/04/70-of-nigerias-n52-trillion-tax-revenue.html

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by SarkinYarki: 5:38am On Apr 25, 2019
This is poor thinking by these accountants!!! ..This looks so because 70 percent of Nigeria VAT collections happen in Lagos but these monies originate from other states ..I will tell you the story of 100 KVA generator I once supplied to a hospital in Nassarawa state , the money for this transaction came 100 percent from Nassarawa state but I paid all the taxes carried to the generator in Lagos state making it seem like the money came from Lagos to a shallow mind ...as long as 70 percent of Nigerias imports pass through Lagos it will continue to seem Lagos is contributing most of the tax which is kind of erroneous

137 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by lawaljuliuss(m): 5:47am On Apr 25, 2019
obviously
Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by lordkush: 5:54am On Apr 25, 2019
most. business have thier head quarters there.
it's not as if the transactions happened only in Lagos.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Sagamaje(m): 6:09am On Apr 25, 2019
Sai baba grin

6 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by omenkaLives(m): 6:16am On Apr 25, 2019
I would rather not believe this!! shocked

1 Like

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by trapQ: 6:22am On Apr 25, 2019
Are you sure it's not 100%?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by GavelSlam: 6:24am On Apr 25, 2019
SarkinYarki:
This is poor thinking by these accountants!!! ..This looks so because 70 percent of Nigeria VAT collections happen in Lagos but these monies originate from other states ..I will tell you the story of 100 KVA generator I once supplied to a hospital in Nassarawa state , the money for this transaction came 100 percent from Nassarawa state but I paid all the taxes carried to the generator in Lagos state making it seem like the money came from Lagos to a shallow mind ...as long as 70 percent of Nigerias imports pass through Lagos it will continue to seem Lagos is contributing most of the tax which is kind of erroneous

You still paid VAT in Nassarawa for the project.

79 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Joshmodest(m): 6:25am On Apr 25, 2019
Lagos definitely has more industries and companies than any other state in Nigeria if not Africa....the population of Lagos as well aids business and makes them generate so much money in tax despite having insignificant natural resources , they also have a good tax collection system , you can hardly escape tax ,if you work in the least recognized firm in Lagos ...
But the number is what I have problem with "70"% in a country of 36 states what happens to places with good industrial activity too like port Harcourt , Abuja , Warri , Benin , Calabar , Abeokuta , Ibadan and the so much glorified Kano ...all this states now account for 30%.....this stats must have been compiled by Lai Mohammed , he is an expert in the field of outrageous statistics !
Or the tax collection system in the rest states , is very easy to manoeuvre !!!

9 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by iammo(m): 6:25am On Apr 25, 2019
cool

Lets face it, lagos has one of the best Tax administration system in Nigeria, its the same model babatunde fowler is replicating at the federal level. And its been all thanks to the idea of the same Tinubu many envious retvrds love to hate. Every state that uses his Alpha Beta consulting firm grows it IGR astronomicaly and the arrogant PDP states have remain poorest in terms of IGR and tax compliance.

To the dunce that won't let us rest because of jealousy of lagos seaport. While you complain of imaginary marginalisation. Kindly understand that Lagos ports date back before.the Nigerian entity was almagamated. And while you endlessly complain, lagos is building yet another one, North now has Barow inland river port, Akwa ibom deepsea port is underway, and Edo and Ondo have all signed MOU for ppp development of their own port

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by mightyhaze: 6:26am On Apr 25, 2019
SarkinYarki:
perfect analysis

15 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Nobody: 6:28am On Apr 25, 2019
SarkinYarki:

Same for all the importers in every other state... they ship and clear in lagos while they only convey to other states to sell.. the buying power of other states would keep reducing because they are majorly civil servants, and the little that buy, you ship their monies abroad again for purchase and clearing again out of the sale state.. it's only a matter of time before they can no longer afford your goods and either seek relocation to earn more or reduce its standard of living every year that passes..

Dry ports should be created across regions, with rail tracks to avoid container diverts via roads, so states can earn income from what is being sold to them.. aswell as ensure every state has a mandatory export commodity to rake income.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by HigherEd: 6:48am On Apr 25, 2019
Lalasticlala o. Chai.
Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by HigherEd: 6:52am On Apr 25, 2019
SarkinYarki:
And for one generator you supply to nassarawa 50 is being supplied within Lagos. There's no doubt Lagos is the biggest consumer of many imports. Therefore even with your instance we can still say Lagos generates most of the revenue.

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by seunfly: 6:54am On Apr 25, 2019
Ok
Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by mostyg(m): 6:54am On Apr 25, 2019
Good for lagos
Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by lonelydora: 6:56am On Apr 25, 2019
Lagos is Nigeria and Nigeria is Lagos

4 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by stano2(m): 6:56am On Apr 25, 2019
Nothing new.
We supposed to have several working seaports across regions that worth it in this country but some selfish people don't want that.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by SamOyovwi: 6:56am On Apr 25, 2019
Na which state really dey work for Nigeria Nor be Lagos state Ona expect person to pay tax for state wey nor dey work

7 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by affable4(m): 6:59am On Apr 25, 2019
Good
Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Gandollar(f): 7:01am On Apr 25, 2019
iammo:
cool

Lets face it, lagos has one of the best Tax administration system in Nigeria, its the same model babatunde fowler is replicating at the federal level. And its been all thanks to the idea of the same Tinubu many envious retvrds love to hate. Every state that uses his Alpha Beta consulting firm grows it IGR astronomicaly and the arrogant PDP states have remain poorest in terms of tax compliance.

This is the problem. Robin Hood was so loved by his people despite been a thief. As soon as I saw those figures, I said if not the thiefing tinubu, probably Lagos State would have been contributing 100% of the national tax income.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by martineverest(m): 7:02am On Apr 25, 2019
Joshmodest:
Lagos definitely has more industries and companies than any other state in Nigeria if not Africa....the population of Lagos as well aids business and makes them generate so much money in tax despite having insignificant natural resources , they also have a good tax collection system , you can hardly escape tax ,if you work in the least recognized firm in Lagos ...
But the number is what I have problem with "70"% in a country of 36 states what happens to places with good industrial activity too like port Harcourt , Abuja , Warri , Benin , Calabar , Abeokuta , Ibadan and the so much glorified Kano ...all this states now account for 30%.....this stats must have been compiled by Lai Mohammed , he is an expert in the field of outrageous statistics !
Or the tax collection system in the rest states , is very easy to manoeuvre !!!
it's only Nigeria,south Africa, Egypt and Angola economies that are ahead of Lagos...Lagos economy is 5th largest in Africa

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by shadeyinka(m): 7:03am On Apr 25, 2019
SarkinYarki:
Your Tax is your quota to paying back the system that is funding you. If your state doesn't have means of ensuring this, too bad.

Lagos has collected her own, Nasarawa should collect her own too.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Ibukunmer: 7:04am On Apr 25, 2019
This is the reason why we need federalism in Nigeria. How can a state contribute so much and yet still have nothing to show for it, simply because we practice centralised system.

7 Likes

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 25, 2019
iammo:
cool

Lets face it, lagos has one of the best Tax administration system in Nigeria, its the same model babatunde fowler is replicating at the federal level. And its been all thanks to the idea of the same Tinubu many envious retvrds love to hate. Every state that uses his Alpha Beta consulting firm grows it IGR astronomicaly and the arrogant PDP states have remain poorest in terms of tax compliance.

what is the job of lirs Who owns alpha beta that collects 20% as commision Where is the so called taxes used. Abi is lag not still a shit hole ni

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Martartins(m): 7:07am On Apr 25, 2019
iammo:
cool

With a 4 billion remission every month. Close ya mouth

1 Like

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Adekdammy: 7:07am On Apr 25, 2019
GavelSlam:

You pay vat where your office is domiciled but the company you supplied will only deduct wht on contract which will be paid in nassarawa

1 Like

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by ridonebabat(m): 7:08am On Apr 25, 2019
Lagos a country within a country. But the sea ports have a lot of influence she.
Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by Adekdammy: 7:08am On Apr 25, 2019
GavelSlam:

You pay vat where your office is domiciled but the company you supplied will only deduct wht on contract which will be paid in nassarawa

1 Like

Re: 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State by colestephan86: 7:10am On Apr 25, 2019
SarkinYarki:
You might be correct,
The FRSC , custom, and some other agencies make huge renumeration to FG from Lagos state alone. Their laws are stiffer in Lagos state , if you go to many Northern states you will be surprised that very many drivers don't even have licences. The south suffers to take care of the North.

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Returns From South Africa / Dickson: Secondus Cannot Be Stampeded To Resign / Keep Spending Old Naira Notes, Eschew Violence, Abiodun Tells Ogun Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.