Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,776 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? (75703 Views)

THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 / Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. / Beauty Of Middlebelt Nigerian Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Nobody: 6:17am On Sep 20, 2010
Franka Afegbua - she made history as the first woman to be elected in partisan politics, as a senator of federal republic of Nigeria, in 1979, representing the old Bendel State (now Edo).
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by shilling(f): 7:53am On Sep 20, 2010
Interesting post . . .
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by initiate: 8:38am On Sep 20, 2010
rman:

Hi all,

Poster wants the 10 greatest Nigerian women of all time NOT 10 greatest of our time.
Dora, Odukoya and co shouldn't be on the list.
I know some may ask 'where is your list?'. Sorry, I don't know the 10 greatest Nigerian women of all time.
Some have actually tried to come up with intelligent responses.

Fumilayo Ransom Kuti etc are more like it. Not Athletes, pastors and political jobbers.

the cardinal the should be how long they would be remembered after they are gone. Dora and co would be quickly forgotten but odukoya would be rememebered for a long time by her followers.

a great woman leaves a legacy in life of pple not even remotely related to her

i cant add to the list cos i know of no great woman who has had a national impact. also it would be appropriate for posters to justify why anyone should be termed great
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by nevosys(m): 8:54am On Sep 20, 2010
1. QUEEN IDIA - Queen Idia was the mother of Esigie, the Oba of Benin who ruled from 1504 to 1550. The FESTAC Mask. Iyoba Idia's visage is the most widely known face of an African royal woman after the Egyptian Queen ( http://www.africaresource.com/jenda/issue9/nzegwu.html )
2. MRS OLUFUNMILAYO RANSOME-KUTI - Uncontestable and uncontested!
3. QUEEN AMINA OF ZARIA - The most powerful woman warior in the history of Nigeria
4.  MARGRET EKPO - Foremost activist
5.  MARY ONYALI - Queen of the tracks
6.  HAJIA GAMBO SAWABA - Dont know any woman politician who suffered torture and abuse for democracy and human rights like she did in the past century, get her story
7.  EFUNSATAN ANUWURA - Iyalode Ibadan
8.  Grace Alele Williams - First Nigerian Female VC
9.  KUDIRAT ABIOLA - Fight for democracy in Nigeria
10.  DR. MRS BOLANLE AWE - foremost and internationally professor of sociology and head Institute of African Studies. Under her nose, the institute used to be one of the best globally.

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by md4real(m): 9:23am On Sep 20, 2010
nevosys:

1. QUEEN IDIA - Queen Idia was the mother of Esigie, the Oba of Benin who ruled from 1504 to 1550. The FESTAC Mask. Iyoba Idia's visage is the most widely known face of an African royal woman after the Egyptian Queen ( http://www.africaresource.com/jenda/issue9/nzegwu.html )
2. MRS OLUFUNMILAYO RANSOME-KUTI - Uncontestable and uncontested!
3. QUEEN AMINA OF ZARIA - The most powerful woman warior in the history of Nigeria
4.  MARGRET EKPO - Foremost activist
5.  MARY ONYALI - Queen of the tracks
6.  HAJIA GAMBO SAWABA - Dont know any woman politician who suffered torture and abuse for democracy and human rights like she did in the past century, get her story
7.  EFUNSATAN ANUWURA - Iyalode Ibadan
8.  Grace Alele Williams - First Nigerian Female VC
9.  KUDIRAT ABIOLA - Fight for democracy in Nigeria
10.  DR. MRS BOLANLE AWE - foremost and internationally professor of sociology and head Institute of African Studies. Under her nose, the institute used to be one of the best globally.

certainly disagree with Kudirat. a wife of an assumed democrat aint a democrat.
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by ifyalways(f): 10:07am On Sep 20, 2010
Rev Mrs Christiana Dele-George.
Founder little saints Orphanage and strong tower Missions kiss

http://www.stmng.org/founder.html
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by paule: 10:51am On Sep 20, 2010
My Mother
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by sylve11: 11:31am On Sep 20, 2010
lestylo u try nor be smallllll grin cool
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by sylve11: 12:07pm On Sep 20, 2010
@poster, u said 10 right? what about 22 . . . tooo much

1  to my mom, u r my best and greatest of all time! kiss kiss kiss kiss cool

2 Kudirat Abiola

She was the second wife of MKO Abiola. She was assassinated on June 4, 1996.

When MKO Abiola was imprisoned in 1994, she launched a campaign for democracy and human rights.
        held pro-democracy rallies
        defied the military decree banning political associations
        presented victims of military repression to international fact-finding missions. Gave multiple interviews nationally and internationally.
        continued to call for her husband's release, though her and her family were under constant harassment by the government (by the way, her husband never saw her or his other family until he died later in 1998)
    By staying persistent and courageous, inspired many people, especially women.
    Won "Woman of the Year" award in both 1994 and 1995.
    I'm not sure about this, but I believe there is a radio station called "Radio Kudirat". So far, I have not been able to get to this link which would have information on it, I think.

3 Mrs. Simbiat Abiola
She was the first wife of MKO Abiola, and is believed to have been instrumental in making him who he became. He was poor when he married her. She was opposed to politics, and pushed him as a businessman, which eventually led to his wealth. She died in 1992 (of a disease I think), and Haja Queen Salawa Abeni composed a tribute to her.

4 Toyin Adewale
A Nigerian writer whose books became popular enough to be translated into German.

Queen Amina of Zaria
She was queen of Zaria for a while, and well known for her military exploits, as well as building the walls of Zaria which still stand today. You can find out more about here from www.abcorpaffairs.com/gallery/21gal.htm

Christina Anyanwu

She is an editor of The Sunday Magazine

Published a report about the arrest of authors of an attempted coup in March 1995. The SSS said that in the issue of The Sunday Magazine dated 19 March 1995 (published on 13 March), she had printed a list of 19 names of presumed "plotters" arrested for attempting to overthrow the government on 1 March. She was released on 22 March because of lack of evidence, but on 31 May she was arrested again and taken straight to prison. Was convicted of "publishing false information" and initially sentenced to life imprisonment which was later reduced to 15 years (was released by Abubakar after the death of Abacha).
    In 1995 (December 9th) was awarded the Reporters Sans Frontières-Fondation de France annual prize. Wole Soyinka received it on her behalf, saying that he did not expect Nigeria's military leaders to annul the conviction but that "for her, for her three fellow prisoners and for all journalists in Nigeria, this prize is first and foremost a symbol of moral support and a valuable sign of international recognition". On October 21, 1998, she (along with 4 other women) was honored by a U.S.-based women's media foundation for her courage on the job.
    Won the Courage in Journalism Award from the African Women's Media Center.
    Won the 1997 CPJ International Press Freedom Award.

7   Bolanle Awe

At one time (maybe still is) the director of the Institute of African Studies at the University of Ibadan (Nigeria).

8   Lola Ayorinde
(Article from May 1999):

A Nigerian local councillor, Lola Ayorinde, is set to become the first black Mayor of the south London borough of Wandsworth.

She will take up office at a ceremony on 19 May when the current Mayor hangs up her regalia.

Ayorinde, who was born in Nigeria, is married with four children and has lived in the borough for the past 25 years.

Wandsworth, with a population of 266,000, is one of the most affluent boroughs in Britain.

Ayorinde is not altogether unfamiliar with the post, having been deputy Mayor between 1996 and 1997.

Representing the Conservative Party, she has served in various local committees.

''Becoming the Mayor of Wandsworth is beyond my wildest dreams,'' Ayorinde said.

''It will be a cherished privilege and honour to serve the people"

9   Buchi Emecheta
At a young age, Buchi Emecheta overcame many hardships to obtain her education in a time when educating girls was not a priority. She got married in her mid-teens and eventually joined her husband in London, where she was made to provide financially for an abusive husband and the children they kept having. She later left him - she was 22 years old, alone, broke and had 5 children to take care of by herself, and thus had to go on welfare. She was determined to rise from poverty, be a good mother, and get her college education. She got her Sociology degree while working and raising 5 kids, and later went on for an advanced degree. She also continued to write, and eventually became one of the best and most internally known women writers that Nigeria can boast of, writing books for both young and old, and getting her education while raising her children by herself. Some of her books talk about her life, and as you can see from the links below, she is studied in many Universities.

10   Rebecca Ikpe

She is a sister-in-law to Colonel R.S.B. Bello-Fadile, a legal advisor to the Government, who was believed to have been one of the alleged coup plotters in 1995.

Charged with treason and jailed for support of her brother-in-law. Accused of being an 'accessory to treason' by distributing his defense submission.
    Recognized by Amnesty International as a prisoner of conscience.
    Initially sentenced to life imprisonment, which was later reduced to 15 years. Released by Abubakar after he took over.

11   Major General Aderonke Kale

The highest ranking female officer in the Nigerian Army. (She retired from the army a couple of years ago.)
    A medical doctor by profession and worked in the Nigerian Army Medical Corps.

12 Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti

She was a women's right activist in the early 1900's.
    She was the first Nigerian lady to drive in Nigeria.
    She fought the military against the unjust arrest of her son (Fela) and sustained an injury to her leg of which the resultant compilations allegedly led to her death.
    Mother to Beko Ransome-Kuti and Fela Kuti.
    Has many other accomplishments, so if you know of them, please tell me cause she is hardly on the web.

13    Dr. Bene Madunagu
    She is a biologist and the head of botany at the University of Calabar in Nigeria.
    In 1982, was a co-founder of the feminist organization, Women In Nigeria (WIN).
    She is the founder and chair of Girls' Power Initiative, Nigeria, which is an organization to promote self-esteem among young women and girls.
    In 1995, she received an award from the MacArthur Foundation Fund for Leadership Development.
    She served as a member of the National Task Force on Sexuality Education.
    She was a member of the committee to institutionalize women's studies in tertiary institutions.
    She is the
        Zonal Coordinator (covering ten states) of the Coalition of Nigerian NGOs on Health, Population and Development.
        Zonal Coordinator for the International Reproductive Rights Research Group (IRRRAG), Nigeria chapter;
        Anglophone West Africa focal point for DAWN;
        African Regional Coordinator of the DAWN Programme on Reproductive Rights and Population.

14  Flora Nwapa

She was a famous Nigerian writer who is mostly known for being the first African woman to publish a book in English. She was also an administrator, teacher, cabinet minister and owned her own publishing company. She died in 1993 at the age of 62.

15     Chief Bisi Ogunleye

Began helping women organize themselves by donating one month's salary to a group of rural women so that they could start their own businesses.
    When loans were repaid, the money was reinvested in other groups.
    In 1982, founded COWAN - the Country Women Association of Nigeria, with six cooperatives of 150 members. Now, that has grown to over 1400 groups and over 31000 active members across numerous states in Nigeria.
    In 1993, COWAN incorporated CEDSHA - Center for Development and Self-Help Activities, which was created (by her husband Peter) for young women, and rural women.
    In 1994, partnered with CEDPA (Center for Development and Population Activities) to aid with health and family planning issues.
    Through COWAN, she established NARWA - Network of African Rural Women Association, which has programs in credit, agriculture, and small business development.
    She serves as co-chair of the Women's Environment and Development Organization (WEDO).
    Is one of the women on the United Nations Earth Council.
    1996 Laureate of the Africa Prize for Leadership for the Sustainable End of Hunger from The Hunger Project.

16    Dr Elizabeth Dupe Ojo
In February 1999, Dr. Elizabeth Dupe Ojo, won the Commission of Community and Non-Formal Education Award from the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education in November 1998. The award was given during the Association's annual conference held in Phoenix, Arizona, and Dr. Ojo was cited for her participation as a board member in the organization, for being the chair of the Minority and Human Rights Unit and for her involvement with Women in Higher Education in Tennessee. The news that she won this national award was published on the front page of her city's local newspaper and in her university's newsletter with her picture on the front page.

17     Synclair
Even though she is German but she has been Yorubanised. She is now one of the highest Oshun priestess in Oshogbo.

18      Mrs. Bisoye Tejuosho
She was the Iyalode of Egba / Abeokuta (and the mother of Dapo Tejuosho). She's was a very industrious woman in the manufacturing industry. She established 'Teju foam and other companies.

19    Madam Tinunbu
She was the first Iyalode of Egbaland. She became filthy rich as a slave trader having her headquarters at Abeokuta. When she visited Badagry and realized the inhumane condition slaves are subjected to by the White man, she became an abolitionist. She spent a great deal of her wealth on the abolition of slavery. Tinunbu Square in Lagos Island was named after her for her gallantry.

20        Hajara Usman

She died in Amsterdam in September of 1998, after a brief illness.

Joined Women in Nigeria (WIN) in the mid-1980's and was the National Secretary for two terms.
    Was a research fellow in the Center for Social and Economic Research at Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Nigeria.
    One of the first participants in the annual Gender Institute of CODESRIA (Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa).
    Among the founders of the Women's Studies Network in Nigeria.
    Played a prominent role in the International Reproductive Rights Research Action Group (IRRRAG) as the Project Coordinator for the North of Nigeria.
    Founding member of Women in Independence, Self-Sufficiency and Economic Advancement (WISSEA).
    Organized and formed teams that undertook research in 12 states, involving legal matters and documentation.
    Coordinator of the Women and Laws Nigeria Project of the International Solidarity Network of Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML).
    Co-founded BAOBAB for Women's Human Rights, during which she
        was involved in solidarity work with those protesting abuse of their human rights
        tried to develop women's rights under Muslim, customary, and statutory laws
        was involved in the training and capacity building for activists
        pursued the development of legal literacy materials
        researched and published papers
    Important player in NGO (non-governmental organization).

21   Grace Alele Williams
Mrs. Grace Alele Williams was one of the first Nigerian women to obtain a PhD.

She was also the first female Vice-Chancellor (Benin 1985-1991).

22  Diana Wiwa

was involved in the struggle for human rights and environmental issues.
    was a student leader at the University of Port Harcourt in Nigeria
    was elected Organizing Secretary of the National Youth Council of Ogoni people (the youth version of MOSOP - the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People)
    international representative of the Federatioin of Ogoni Women Association (FOWA)
    coordinator of MOSOP Canada.
    international recognition for carrying the message worldwide about the military dictatorship, shell oil, Ogoni land.

Also, she is the wife of Dr. Owens Wiwa, brother of executed Ken Saro-Wiwa.

cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Ranoscky(m): 12:20pm On Sep 20, 2010
1) My mum
2) My Grand ma
3) My wife to be
4) Two of my lovely sisters
5) Two of my unborn daughters (they'r went for an holiday on the other side of life, n will be back in 730 days time)
6) Then others. . .

Next
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by naijasmost: 1:26pm On Sep 20, 2010
Wow - Le Stylo, very in-depth list!
Abi you be historian slash political commentator LOL!

NICE ONE.
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by naijasmost: 1:29pm On Sep 20, 2010
sylve11:

@poster, u said 10 right? what about 22 . . . tooo much

HAAAA! SYLVE11 DON FINISH THEM, OH!!!

You've killed them on quantity!!
But what of quality. Are these names all deserving

GO NAIJA!
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by nkilirox(f): 1:39pm On Sep 20, 2010
sbeezy8:

take off dora shes a joke

Not to mention, a liar, crook, trouble maker, thief, extortionist and all around tout. Rebranding Nigeria ndi nmuo
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Meldrick(m): 4:10pm On Sep 20, 2010
nkilirox:

Not to mention, a liar, crook, trouble maker, thief, extortionist and all around tout. Rebranding Nigeria ndi nmuo

Thank God you are a woman. Try and beat her record. Bad belle girl. Bad belle will only bring you down or are you Turai's PA?
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by tytie: 5:25pm On Sep 20, 2010
german007:

THE LATE ACTRESS, Zainab Bukky Ajayi, definitely makes my list.

MAY HER SOUL RIP.

cool cool

I hope this is not a case of mistaken identity, i didn't get 2 hear of Bukky Ajayi's demise. I hope u didnt mean Madam Toun Oni of Fuji House of commotion fame?
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by lekanbar(m): 11:09am On Sep 21, 2010
Chioma Ajunwa, Mary Onyali, there are plenty of them

http://lekanbaruwa./
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by bioye(m): 11:34am On Sep 21, 2010
1.  Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti
2.  Queen Amina of Zaria
3.  Kudirat Abiola
4.  Onyeka Onwenu
5.  Mary Onyali
6.  Genevieve Nnaji
7.  Chris Anyawu
8.  Grace Alele-Williams
9.  Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
10.  Chimamanda Adichie
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by german007(m): 1:05pm On Sep 21, 2010
tytie:

I hope this is not a case of mistaken identity, i didn't get 2 hear of Bukky Ajayi's demise. I hope u didnt mean Madam Toun Oni of Fuji House of commotion fame?

Absolute mistaken Identity. The names were convoluted and mixed up in my mind.  grin

Thanks for the correction. Toun Oni is who I was referring to.

cool  cool
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by sylve11: 3:44pm On Sep 21, 2010
tytie:

lol grin cool
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by chic2pimp(m): 3:00am On Sep 22, 2010
1) My Mum
2) My Nieces
3) My Grandma
4) My Sisters
5) The Entire Female population of the Chic2pimp clan.
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by ademiller(f): 5:36pm On Sep 23, 2010
Top Ten Women.

1. My mom
2. My Ma
3. My mama
4. My mummy
5. My Momsi
6. Mummy me
7. Iya Me
8. Nne me
9. My mum
10.Mummilicious

Now is dat so hard to know? grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Nobody: 2:52am On Aug 09, 2011
my mom grin
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Jenifa1: 2:54am On Aug 09, 2011
na wa o

ademiller:

Top Ten Women.

1. My mom
2. My Ma
3. My mama
4. My mummy
5. My Momsi
6. Mummy me
7. Iya Me
8. Nne me
9. My mum
10.Mummilicious

Now is dat so hard to know? grin

grin
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by oluseyeah: 12:29pm On Mar 08, 2013
HOW COULD YOU ALL HAVE FORGOTTEN THE LATE CHRISTY ESSIEN-IGBOKWE....THE LADY OF SONGS
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Ndipe(m): 4:38am On May 21, 2013
[b][/b]
Redman44: May Ellen Ezekiel [ MEE ] is one of the greatest women in Nigerian history. She was Richard Mofe Damijo's ex-wife and she died in 1996. Ezekiel was the publisher of the highly respected Classique Magazine [ No celebrity Magazine has matched the quality of Classique Magazine ] and she was also a solid novelist. She also had her TV show and was very popular and pretty. She remains the most accomplished Female Journalist and Publisher in Nigeria. Read up on her. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com

Late wife not ex-wife, they remained married until the day she died.
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by olokstyle: 11:00am On Jul 02, 2014
ausman: 1.IYABO OBASANJO
2. PATRICIA ETTEH
2. PATRICIA ETTEH
2. PATRICIA ETTEH

Are you kidding me?
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by C4123(f): 9:15am On Jul 12, 2019
My mother is the most famous woman I know.
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by gtown: 3:47pm On Jul 31, 2019
When you ask this kind question on a forum full of indomine generation you can't get meaningful answer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows Any Igbo Name That Starts With Letter P? / Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) / Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.