Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,103 members, 7,811,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. (5093 Views)

Embedded Systems Tutorial For Beginners:experiment 4 (traffic Light System) / Embedded Systems: Future Of Electronics And Computer Engineering. / Embedded Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by geebengs(m): 10:17pm On May 01, 2007
Whats up guys. Whats the practical difference between VHDL and embedded Systems Design and what are they each used for?
Re: Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 03, 2007
Design is just well, design. Its really wide and you gotta consider lots of issues like
what kinda embedded system it is, whether real time or not, then you talk abt the kind of embedded OS youre going to use, so there are really many issues sorrounding "design". But you can use VHDL to interface with the FPGA (Embedded platform).

check out www.embedded.com, for more answers.

cheers
Re: Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by geebengs(m): 8:01pm On May 04, 2007
Thanks wavemaster for the reply. Actually, Have been programming in C++ for a while now. I have had interest in electronics for a while as well. I have been trying to see how i can merge programming with electronics. So from my research i got to know about embedded system and vhdl as areas that are related to what i want to do. So my main aim was to get information that will guide me from this forum. How do u think i can go about this?
Re: Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by Nobody: 9:10pm On May 04, 2007
Depends on what you want. Embedded applications are coded in C, pure C, but since you know C++
learning it shouldnt be hard. VHDL can be used for modelling the hardware architecture of something you designed,
like you might have an architecture you have designed, and if you want to be sure it works, then you can model it in
vhdl. You can use software like modelsim or xlinx for simulations.
Some smart guys have C to vhdl compilers, so you can just code in c, and the lower level details are handled by the compiler.
Theres a lot of stuff floating around on the net, so just do some more research.
The site i gave you should have enough info, You can also google xlinxs website.

cheers
Re: Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by geebengs(m): 2:00pm On May 05, 2007
Big thanks to you wavemaster. I'm going to research more on the subject. At least i now have an understanding of what VHDL is. Thanks a lot.
Re: Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by molate(m): 10:45am On Jan 08, 2011
Re: Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by Nairaface: 5:12am On Sep 25, 2012
geebengs: Big thanks to you wavemaster. I'm going to research more on the subject. At least i now have an understanding of what VHDL is. Thanks a lot.
VHDL, or VHSIC (very high speed integrated circuit) hardware description language is a firmware language used to design digital systems. You don't use it to model what you design, you use it to design digital and mixed signal systems. There are several languages you can use in, note I did not say to, designing embedded sys, and VHDL is one powerful one for the digital and mixed signal part of yur design. You write your vhdl and a synthesizer spits out the circuit. Xilinx, altera, synplify and modelsim all let you simulate your design, (with xilinx's somewhat new isim eliminating the need for modelsim, although a lot of old timers are stuck on modelsim from my observation) and Xilinx lets you actually synthesize. Synplify is worth the investment since it's device independent, but only if you intend to use different devices. Xilinx appears to be the king with their ever growing Spartan family. If you are familiar with verilog, VHDL is its cooler and more popular sibling.
Re: Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by inaiduna(m): 10:11pm On Apr 10, 2016
Also VHDL can be used depending on the level of abstraction on FPGA, GA (gate array) and ASICs ( application specific integrated circuit), I am new to it but flow easily, does anyone here have a good understanding of automata?
Re: Vhdl Vs. Embedded Systems Design. by shreygautam: 11:05am On Nov 03, 2023
VHDL, a hardware description language, is used for digital circuit design, while Embedded Systems Design involves creating software and hardware for small computing systems. VHDL focuses on hardware description and simulation, while Embedded Systems Design encompasses a broader range of skills, including microcontroller programming and interfacing with sensors and actuators. If you're interested in mastering Embedded Systems Design, consider enrolling in The IoT Academy's embedded systems course in Noida. This course provides hands-on training in designing and developing embedded systems for IoT applications, equipping you with the skills needed for a successful career in this field.

(1) (Reply)

What's The Prospect For Self Taught Programmers In Naija / Python Smtp Scanner / Friendosphere.com is there for you, developer-inclined website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.