Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,004 members, 7,817,969 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Job Hunting In The Digital Age - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job Hunting In The Digital Age (8152 Views)

My Job Hunting In The City Of Abuja / Best Steps For A Successful Job Hunting In Nigeria / 5 Reasons Chasing Self-employment Beats Job Hunting In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Revolva(m): 6:44am On Apr 30, 2019
There was a time, not so very long ago for most of us, when job hunting involved scanning newspaper advertisements or actually knocking on the door of a desired employer.

This is no longer the case as the digital age has changed the way people seek employment with the help of technology. So, whether you are a job seeker or planning to turn your hobby into a full time, you have to be aware of how jobs are changing in the digital age.

Nevertheless, as a job seeker, you now have much more control over your search, a great deal more flexibility in presenting all sides of yourselves and a much broader overview of the jobs available. Hence, you have no choice than to align your skills to the needs and requirements of the digital age.

Don’t be afraid to tweak and adjust your CV

Whenever a job ad is created, the manager for that position is involved in creating the mandate. That means that he or she is actually describing the person they want to hire. This is your biggest clue of all, so really read that description and think about how you are relevant and modify your application accordingly. Don’t think of your CV as one size fits all; instead, customize it for the job you seek.

Make sure you include every software program you know

Even if you think it’s not relevant, companies are always interested in tech-savvy people. So, list everything you are familiar with, even if it’s a program you learned in secondary school. You just never know what will grab their attention.

Google yourself

Get ahead and find out what they will uncover about you on the internet. If some strange images come up in the search, you know what you’ve got to do. And remember, that it is possible to make certain search results appear higher on the results list.

Tap into your network

Your job hunt is not some secret mission that you should embark on alone. Make your wide network of family and friends aware that you are seeking a new challenge. Alert your Facebook friends or making a funny post on Instagram about your job hunt. However you do it, take advantage of the hundreds of eyes and ears in your circle.

Engage with companies you are interested in

Of course, you should be following them on social media. Of course, you should test out their products or engage with their customer service. Experience the company in any way possible, either in the digital world or the physical world, to gain insight into that company and what they do. I assure you this will come in handy during the interview.

http://giditechlab.com/job-hunting-in-the-digital-age/

8 Likes

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by rottable(m): 7:14am On Apr 30, 2019
Thanks for the enlightenment, really helpful
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by COURVOISier(m): 10:23am On Apr 30, 2019
Cool
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Nairalandmentor(m): 10:24am On Apr 30, 2019
smiley
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Staru1(m): 10:24am On Apr 30, 2019
resourceful
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by MrThisandthat(m): 10:25am On Apr 30, 2019
Dear OP we all are tired of job hunting... I have made up my mind on Monday next week I will just resume work at any office of my choice, if they call the police, when I get to the station I will continue working there too...

We are tired!

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by XTHRONE(m): 10:26am On Apr 30, 2019
Ok, u forget to add, Know dem Oga at the top, Senators, ...
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by seegi(m): 10:26am On Apr 30, 2019
Nice one

By the way We have Farmlands for sale in Ilorin at various locations Check my Signature for more details
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by TheFacelessMan: 10:26am On Apr 30, 2019
undecided

CV of TheFacelessMan:

- Professional assassin...

- versatile in close-quarters combat (CQC)

- excellent marksmanship; rifles and guns

- intermediate use of African JuJu

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by tydi(m): 10:27am On Apr 30, 2019
no be for me where der go join army
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by travelwaka: 10:28am On Apr 30, 2019
1. Get as many skilled as you can
2. The power of networking , go to places where you can meet high class people it's all about who you know
3. Be ready to explore new things
4. Don't limit your search to Nigeria
5. Double your hustle
6. Take a non for profit role while searching
7. Go full time freelancing

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Tintinnoty(m): 10:29am On Apr 30, 2019
Ok
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Nobody: 10:29am On Apr 30, 2019
Man knows man job.
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by dinocy(m): 10:29am On Apr 30, 2019
Nice ideas but this job hunting is something else. I am tired.
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Tintinnoty(m): 10:29am On Apr 30, 2019
rottable:
Thanks for the enlightenment, really helpful

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by OkCornel(m): 10:31am On Apr 30, 2019
The era of the fourth industrial revolution is here. Think along these lines if you want to remain relevant in the years ahead;

1) Artificial intelligence
2) Deep learning
3) Big Data & Data Science
4) Business Intelligence
5) Robotics
6) Internet of Things

Other areas to explore are mental health, given the increasing pace and pressure of day to day living, people are gradually losing their mental resilience thus, leading to increasing rates of suicide, depression and other mental illnesses.

Then there's the creative arts to explore... Artificial intelligence remains what it is..."artificial" Creative intelligence remains unique...

In summary, acquire knowledge and skills that are

a) In line with your passion and talents thus, giving you fulfillment...even in tough and demanding times. AND...
b) Those skills are in high demand in the labor market..

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Lifestyleof9ja(m): 10:31am On Apr 30, 2019
If you are tired of job hunting and you are looking for business idea. I saw this book online and i think it might help.
Download below

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sunkanmivaughan.bizdir

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by anochuko01(m): 10:32am On Apr 30, 2019
JI
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by TheAngry1: 10:33am On Apr 30, 2019
ok
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 30, 2019
MrThisandthat:
Dear OP we all are tired of job hunting... I have made up my mind on Monday next week I will just resume work at any office of my choice, if they call the police, when I get to the station I will continue working there too...

We are tired!
Lol..

cheesy
I'll be waiting for your feedback.

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by BlackRuth(f): 10:37am On Apr 30, 2019
OP how do you now remove some things that come up when your name is googled. And how do you make some things show first when your name is googled.
Revolva:
There was a time, not so very long ago for most of us, when job hunting involved scanning newspaper advertisements or actually knocking on the door of a desired employer.

This is no longer the case as the digital age has changed the way people seek employment with the help of technology. So, whether you are a job seeker or planning to turn your hobby into a full time, you have to be aware of how jobs are changing in the digital age.

Nevertheless, as a job seeker, you now have much more control over your search, a great deal more flexibility in presenting all sides of yourselves and a much broader overview of the jobs available. Hence, you have no choice than to align your skills to the needs and requirements of the digital age.

Don’t be afraid to tweak and adjust your CV

Whenever a job ad is created, the manager for that position is involved in creating the mandate. That means that he or she is actually describing the person they want to hire. This is your biggest clue of all, so really read that description and think about how you are relevant and modify your application accordingly. Don’t think of your CV as one size fits all; instead, customize it for the job you seek.

Make sure you include every software program you know

Even if you think it’s not relevant, companies are always interested in tech-savvy people. So, list everything you are familiar with, even if it’s a program you learned in secondary school. You just never know what will grab their attention.

Google yourself

Get ahead and find out what they will uncover about you on the internet. If some strange images come up in the search, you know what you’ve got to do. And remember, that it is possible to make certain search results appear higher on the results list.

Tap into your network

Your job hunt is not some secret mission that you should embark on alone. Make your wide network of family and friends aware that you are seeking a new challenge. Alert your Facebook friends or making a funny post on Instagram about your job hunt. However you do it, take advantage of the hundreds of eyes and ears in your circle.

Engage with companies you are interested in

Of course, you should be following them on social media. Of course, you should test out their products or engage with their customer service. Experience the company in any way possible, either in the digital world or the physical world, to gain insight into that company and what they do. I assure you this will come in handy during the interview.

http://giditechlab.com/job-hunting-in-the-digital-age/

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by believe042: 10:45am On Apr 30, 2019
Brilliant
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Nobody: 10:46am On Apr 30, 2019
when you have over tweaked cv more than 25 times in one month to suit job role,
and suddenly you are called for an interview,
and you dont know which of the cvs you used...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by qanda: 10:49am On Apr 30, 2019
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Nobody: 10:51am On Apr 30, 2019
Create jobs for yourself. Social media has made a lot of things possible now. There are a lot of opportunities out there people are unaware of. Don't wait for your politicians. They don't give a f
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by Revolva(m): 10:53am On Apr 30, 2019
BlackRuth:
OP how do you now remove some things that come up when your name is googled. And how do you make some things show first when your name is googled.

Well if it's on your Facebook you can easily remove info you don't want to expose on your Facebook and Twitter or IG

It's as simple as that
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by amajimichael: 11:03am On Apr 30, 2019
Well said with this teaching
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by TheCvBank: 11:06am On Apr 30, 2019
we write professional cv cover letter and setup professional LinkedIn accounts. check our signature or visit our profile

Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by millionboi2: 11:49am On Apr 30, 2019
Just b a sycophant
Re: Job Hunting In The Digital Age by pinkyruledworld(m): 11:52am On Apr 30, 2019
OkCornel:
The era of the fourth industrial revolution is here. Think along these lines if you want to remain relevant in the years ahead;

1) Artificial intelligence
2) Deep learning
3) Big Data & Data Science
4) Business Intelligence
5) Robotics
6) Internet of Things

Other areas to explore are mental health, given the increasing pace and pressure of day to day living, people are gradually losing their mental resilience thus, leading to increasing rates of suicide, depression and other mental illnesses.

Then there's the creative arts to explore... Artificial intelligence remains what it is..."artificial" Creative intelligence remains unique...

In summary, acquire knowledge and skills that are

a) In line with your passion and talents thus, giving you fulfillment...even in tough and demanding times. AND...
b) Those skills are in high demand in the labor market..

Nice one, but where can one learn Data Science in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cadbury And Guiness Nigeria Plc / Vacancy: Name A Job Role You Wish Was Available For Employment / NBC Contract Sales Rep Recruitment: Call for aptitude test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.