Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,431 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:40 PM

9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant (12188 Views)

Common Dental Treatments And Their Prices – Part 1 / 9 Common Questions Women Ask About Pregnancy And The Answers / 5 Dental Health Mistakes To Stop Making Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Dentalgist: 12:50pm On Apr 30, 2019
Pregnancy is a moment of joy for every couple. The 9-month journey is like an unending phase and both the husband and wife want to take extra care to protect the new life developing in the womb. Having seen pregnant women who are apprehensive of certain dental procedures and the potential risks they might pose to the developing baby, the American Dental Association highlights the following common dental questions that might be boggling your mind.

1. Do I Need to Change My Daily Habits?

If you’re already brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and cleaning between your teeth once a day, keep up the good work! If not, there’s no better time to start, as poor habits during pregnancy have been associated with premature delivery, intrauterine growth restriction, gestational diabetes and preeclampsia. Talk to your dentist about your routine and if you should make any changes.

2. Why Are My Gums Bleeding?

With pregnancy come changes in your body, emotions and mouth. As many as half of all women develop pregnancy gingivitis, a mild form of gum disease that is most common between the second and eighth months of pregnancy. It usually goes away after childbirth. Hormones make your gums more easily irritated by plaque and can cause gums to be red, tender, sore and bleed. Brush twice a day for two minutes, clean between your teeth once a day, and talk to your dentist about other steps you can take to keep your gum healthy.

3. Do You Lose a Tooth with Each Baby?

No, this is an old wives’ tale. Losing a tooth is not a normal part of pregnancy, and if you do, you most likely already had an existing dental problem. You may, however, feel like your teeth are a bit loose. According to the Mayo Clinic, progesterone and estrogen can loosen the ligaments and bones that keep your teeth in place, even if you don’t have gum disease. Many times this goes away after pregnancy, but talk to your dentist if you feel like your teeth are moving when they shouldn’t.

3. I’m Struggling with Morning Sickness. What Should I Do?

Unfortunately, morning sickness can hit any time of the day. Vomit contains stomach acids that can eat away at your teeth, so waiting to brush after you’ve rinsed your mouth can help prevent those acids from doing damage. Instead of brushing, first swish and spit. You can use water, a diluted mouth rinse or a mixture of 1 cup of water and 1 tsp. of baking soda. Spit it out, and brush your teeth about 30 minutes later.

4. Is It Safe to See the Dentist During Pregnancy?

Yes! In fact, your dentist may recommend additional cleanings during your second trimester and early third trimester to help control gingivitis. If your last visit to the dentist was more than 6 months ago or if you notice any changes in your mouth, schedule an appointment. Always let your dental office know how far along you are when you call, and tell your dentist of any change in the medications you take or if you have received any special advice from your physician.

5. Help! Brushing Makes Me Gag.

During a time when anything (and possibly everything) may make you gag, take it slow and figure out what works for you. Changing your flavor of toothpaste, using a brush with a smaller head, or brushing at different times of the day may help. If you need to swish and spit before coming back to brush your teeth, try that as well. The important thing is to keep up your routine because you’re slightly more at risk for cavities, thanks to acid on your teeth from morning sickness.

6. Does What I Eat Affect My Baby’s Teeth?

Your baby’s teeth begin to develop between the third and sixth months of pregnancy, and eating well can help them form correctly. Get plenty of nutrients – including vitamins A, C, and D, protein, calcium and phosphorous. To reduce the risk of neural tube defects, you need 600 mcg of folic acid each day while pregnant. Take folic acid supplements, and eat foods high in folate. While you’re at it, drink plenty of water with fluoride to keep your own teeth strong.

7. Are X-Rays Safe During Pregnancy?

Yes, dental X-rays are safe during pregnancy. Your dentist or hygienist will cover you with a protective apron that minimizes exposure to the abdomen. Your dental office will also whenever possible cover your throat with a protective thyroid collar to protect the thyroid from radiation.

8. Is It Safe to Have a Dental Procedure?

The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists agrees that procedures like cavity fillings and crowns are safe and important to have during pregnancy to prevent potential infection. It may be more uncomfortable to sit in a dental chair the later you are in pregnancy, so schedule dental work in your second trimester, if possible. Cosmetic procedures, like whitening, should wait until after baby arrives. If you need an emergency procedure, work with your dentist on the best plan for the health of you and your baby.

9. Do I Need to Change My Daily Habits?

If you’re already brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and cleaning between your teeth once a day, keep up the good work! If not, there’s no better time to start, as poor habits during pregnancy have been associated with premature delivery, intrauterine growth restriction, gestational diabetes and preeclampsia. Talk to your dentist about your routine and if you should make any changes.

https://dentalgist.ng/9-common-questions-you-may-have-when-you-are-pregnant

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by TreasuredGlory: 2:58pm On Apr 30, 2019
It is well in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Nobody: 2:59pm On Apr 30, 2019
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by TreasuredGlory: 2:59pm On Apr 30, 2019
T
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Opinionated: 3:02pm On Apr 30, 2019
Nice one

Is Coffee Bad for Teeth? Sacramento Dentistry Group Answers

Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Bossjakande: 3:02pm On Apr 30, 2019
pearl05 I think dis is for u.
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by MANNABBQGRILLS: 3:03pm On Apr 30, 2019
We can relate......... wink

3 Likes

Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Bossjakande: 3:03pm On Apr 30, 2019
skarlett
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by lateezy(f): 3:04pm On Apr 30, 2019
Thank you
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by ayourbamie: 3:08pm On Apr 30, 2019
My wife needs to come and read this

1 Like

Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by MhizGladys(f): 3:11pm On Apr 30, 2019
Good day Nairalanders, Please I need a place for I.T in Lagos.
I am an Accounting student.
Please if you have a place for me

contact me : 08163130139
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by rockstar27(m): 3:22pm On Apr 30, 2019
may God save us, i remember when my grandma do narrating her laboring time. very simple as ABC delivered a baby is not something stiffer during their time but the world we are today is something else. during their time they do born on their way to farm or on any walking without anybody assisting them but not like today, our women of now a days self don't go through some free exercise, some women when they are carrying their baby to take something from the floor is very difficult and they don't know that all these little exercise save their body from be stiffer
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by naijajobx: 3:59pm On Apr 30, 2019
Oh
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Pearl05(f): 4:08pm On Apr 30, 2019
Bossjakande:
pearl05 I think dis is for u.

Thank you sir.
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by amynah94(f): 4:55pm On Apr 30, 2019
The fifth point is really giving me problem now.......if I brush; problem, if I don't; double wahala
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Estellie: 5:54pm On Apr 30, 2019
I'm not pregnant but toothpaste makes me nauseous.. That means when I get pregnant I nor go dey brush at all embarassed

Na to dy use chewing stick sure pass o.. grin

2 Likes

Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Estellie: 5:56pm On Apr 30, 2019
rockstar27:
may God save us, i remember when my grandma do narrating her laboring time. very simple as ABC delivered a baby is not something stiffer during their time but the world we are today is something else. during their time they do born on their way to farm or on any walking without anybody assisting them but not like today, our women of now a days self don't go through some free exercise, some women when they are carrying their baby to take something from the floor is very difficult and they don't know that all these little exercise save their body from be stiffer
SHUT UP.. Did you bother to ask your grandma why it was so easy then? Or you just concluded in your misogynist mind that women of nowadays are lazy?..

What more do you guys want for God sake?.. Do you know what its like to be pregnant?
Women before took all sorts of things to reduce the size of the baby.. My aunt gave birth to my cousin looking like a lizard with over size head.. Go do your research, women don't take those stuffs any more cause its not too healthy...

Naturally, pregnancy and birth has never been easy.. Can't even believe I'm saying this to a grown man... undecided

With the rate at which i see pregnant women working, hawking, doing house chores like teens, one human being is still saying women don't do exercise. Mteww.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by Dentalgist: 6:29pm On Apr 30, 2019
amynah94:
The fifth point is really giving me problem now.......if I brush; problem, if I don't; double wahala
Follow the tips as suggested. Choose the one that works best for you.
Re: 9 Common Dental Questions You May Have When You Are Pregnant by 122Adaeze174: 9:06pm On Apr 30, 2019
Okay

(1) (Reply)

My Experience As A Stammerer / Permanent Cure For Asthma / Health Benefit Of Tiger Nuts Popularly Known As (Aya, Ofio)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.