Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,239 members, 7,815,326 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:52 AM

Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? (5833 Views)

My Story As Third Class Graduate / With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by Kato707: 1:57pm On May 02, 2007
I graduated with a third class in Mathematic/Computer science. I have search for job for a year now and each time, I pass aptitude test with good scores,because I know I'm not dull, but when I go for oral interview, on seeing my certificate, the panel treats me like an outcast. Though I came out with a 3rd class, I'm far far better than most 2.1 graduates of my schools then. Among the things I can do very well in the computer field are Networking, PC repairs and maintenace, Web designing and a little programming.

My problems is that most of these employers of labour won't even give me chance to display what I know. The question is "Am I going to remain jobless because of my grade?" " Am I completely unemployable?". Someone should please come to my rescue, I believe I have a lot to contribute in the IT world if my grade should be overlooked.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by yeminas: 3:23pm On May 02, 2007
kato i belive you.what have you done to improve yourself i mean have you added anything to your cv?other qualifications to boost your cv.being a third class does not make u a third class citizen. just have faith in yourself and dont be disturbed by the so called empolyers.keep applying for any job you think you are fit for dont give up cos they ask for 22 0r 21.you will definitely get there
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by tenor(m): 3:36pm On May 02, 2007
Kato I'm sad for you.You know why? You've put your life in the hands of job employers and Nigeria. GEt up man and be self reliant. Start something, no MATTER how small. God has given everyone something to beat life's[/color]expected problems like yours.[color=Black]That something is hidden and only those who have found it stay successful.Look, it just might be your talent. Start small.The biggest failure is never trying at all.You are born to be great.!
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by Seun(m): 3:39pm On May 02, 2007
Among the things I can do very well in the computer field are Networking, PC repairs and maintenance, Web designing and a little programming.

If you have all these skills, then you don't need an employer. You can be a consultant: click here.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by Kayus99(m): 4:01pm On May 02, 2007
Dont let your 3rd class get the better of you. As a personal example I had a 3rd class in geopgraphy and planning from my undergrad a little over 10 years ago and have advanced to be a senior manager/head of IT dept. During this period I acquired a number of certifications and additional degrees required for the job.

I started out by volunteering, through this the employer recognizes his risk in employing you have been minimized. Let the employer know that you are willing to volunteer for a set period of time to prove your worth if s/he is having any doubt in your ability. This does not mean you are desperate but simply want to prove you deserve a chance!

My recommendation, at your next interview is to offer to volunteer for a period (your pocket permitting and your offer is negotiable e.g. employer will pay for transportation) and let them know you are pursuing additional certifications recognized in the field.

Good luck
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by donjazzie(m): 4:29pm On May 02, 2007
kato, nothing is wrong with a third class, i guess all the employers u've gone to have given u third class interviews and they basically they don't know it's not all about the result.there are alot of 3rd class graduates who are feeding i mean employing alot of higher class graded people,so don't even let that weigh you down.you need to look at the perspective of the wole soyinka's,gani fawhinmi and tony elumelu's(third class graduates).These guys are all success stories employing 1st class,2.1 and 2.2's.truth be told wat matters most is you skills and abilities.

Personally i graduated with a Third class in accounting and God's grace made me the accountant in a software company with a very fat pay compared with alot of 2.1's and 2.2's i graduated with and i dont have any extra certifications. my boss and interviewer gave mi chance because he looked beyond ma results to see ma skills and abilities and i've not messed up at all.you just have to pray about it.and don't give up if you want a job, and i tell you when you meet the interviwer that knows wat he want's you'll get a job.success man
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by fallguy(m): 4:31pm On May 02, 2007
set up a company and compete with all this NARROW MINDED, PEA BRAINED  employers , instead of canvassing to be
an item on their pay roll,
besides , EMPLOYERS suck u like orange , take ur youth grow their business make their millions and dump u when u old
( retirement) so why , give ur life and youthful years to them??
- THINK  angry
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by eko4show(m): 4:58pm On May 02, 2007
i think kayus made the most sence, try and figure out where you could work as a volunteer or minimal pay, get the expereince and the reference on your cv and move on. its just unfortunate you may not find much in terms of volunteer placement in naija. i remember the first IT role i took in UK, becos i didnt have UK experience i found it hard to get a job, so i approached a firm that advertised for a position i liked and i volunteered to work for 4 weeks without pay and i even indicated that if at the end of the day they found my job unsatisfactory , they could kick me out. to cut a lond story short, i worked there for almost two years and i had to leave for a better one.

the issue of becoming a consultant sounds bizzare to me given that you graduated only a year ago and i would imagine you do not have loads of experience. i would imagine consultancy has to do with experince, pedigree and business contact. besides i suppose you wont just float in the street as a consultant, you need an office, and some hardware which will certainly cost you money.

be realistic, you know yourself and your capabilities, but sadly enough you didnt have a great result, for whatever reasons. dust yourself, dont let anyone define your scope, start somewhere, save money, write exams and in four - five years time, your 3rd class would have paled into insignificance. all the best
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by my2cents(m): 4:58pm On May 02, 2007
job-wise, yes. "being self-employed"-wise, no.

In the end, graduating with a high score doesn't guarantee success in life. The end justifies the means. It's not how you start but how you finish. You had no choice in where you were born but you definitely have a choice in how you will live your life. In the end, who says you are to do a job in computer science? Abi, you sign pact with the devil (so to speak)?

The important thing is that you graduated. There are those who would die to have even 5th class but lack the financial resources to do so. It is very possible that though you graduated 3rd class, you actually grasped the material better than someone who graduated first class. Trust me, I have seen this happen. Need I say more? tongue

I hope this helps.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by extraman(m): 5:09pm On May 02, 2007
The good thing about the field of computers is that , it tends to deal more with practical ability, what can you offer.If you have a first class from all the theoretical aspect and cannot practically do anything , you are in trouble. SO my bros, keep apply ing for jobs, also try to build up your Cv/Resume , volunteer in places and increase your practical ability.In no time you will get hired.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by One: 5:37pm On May 02, 2007
What matters in a proffession is the intensity of passion you have for it. Examinations or degrees are not a true test of knowledge especially when it comes to practical proffessions like computer science. A third class is by no means useless even though employers will over look you for a first or second class guy. Definitely, a first class dude in computer is or must be extremely good but a third class also means you completed the course only on a lower rung. What of the guy who has a pass? Is that useless? If you can proove what you can do, it does not matter what you have. I know many guys who dont even have degree and are crack programmers or hardware gurus. Ask Bill Gates what qualifications he's got. That dude dropped out of school but he sure as hell had a burning passion for electronics and computer. That was all it took.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by Seun(m): 5:41pm On May 02, 2007
That dude dropped out of school but he sure as hell had a burning passion for electronics and computer.
Hmmm. It's because he stumbled upon an opportunity to make money. $$$ rules, man.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by chrisokw: 5:50pm On May 02, 2007
3rd class in any field is appalling.  No matter how ''difficult'' your field of study, you only compare youself to others in your discipline, and not people in other disciplines. I will rather repeat the whole exam if possible than graduate with a 3rd.

One way to escape your present quagmire will be to get a post grad cert asap.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by One: 6:48pm On May 02, 2007
Seun:

Hmmm. It's because he stumbled upon an opportunity to make money. $$$ rules, man.

Bill Gates did not stumble on the bright idea that computers meant money by mistake. Like most nerds of his time, he hacked, tinkered and had a passion for the electronics systems of his teenage days. The DOS and Windows idea came long after.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by ebong4waz(m): 7:09pm On May 02, 2007
Nope!  winka third class in comp. sci can't be useless 'cept you want it to!! Its a very & highly practical course & you don't need an employer per se. Just try & get some certifications like cisco, oracle, an MBA etc & make yourself relevant & even opt to work for free just for the experience, before you will know what, the sky will be the beginning for you. Just be optimistic bout life, do your part & follow up with prayers, certainly the best will come to you. cool

ALL THE BEST !!! grin
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by ogbolu64: 8:18pm On May 02, 2007
o boy, yours is not lost. Those that came out with first class in so many instances end up a third class citizens while those that passed out with third class are first class guys in the society. Just check it out!

What make the difference is "Y O U". get yourself together and prepare yoursefl well for the next challenge. You may wish to submit your cv to techrecruits@yahoo.com for a review.

All the best
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by abelin78(m): 9:22pm On May 02, 2007
You need to forget about the class u came out with,what is important is what u think about urrself.Think positive and move ahead!
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by Hustler4(m): 10:29pm On May 02, 2007
Hey guys, I got 2.2 in Computer Science, I make more than £300.00 a day contracting, it is all about positioning yourself very well, contact me I will sure brief you on what to do
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by cynic411(f): 10:34pm On May 02, 2007
Kato, a third class or a pass is not useless oh. Your inability to find a job now is because jobs are not easy to come by and not because of your result.

During my service year, i wrote my first bank test and on the form, we were asked to write our courses and results. I peeped in the guy beside me, he wrote Upper credit-Accounting, the one to my right wrote 2-1 Business Admin. Me, i wrote my humble 2-2 Zoology. Test result came out, i came 5th out of the over 3000 people that wrote the test and got employed by the bank. I worked with the other first four and they read Biology, Geology,English (3rd class) and Political science.

Its a pity that some employers are short sighted and do not see beyond 1st class or Federal Universities. I remember about 3 years ago, i was trying to apply online to a bank and when i put n my course of study (Zoology) and result (2-2) as the on-line form required, i got prompted with the message "I'm sorry you do not meet our criteria, please try somewhere else" despite my banking experiences.

So keep searching, your result is not a problem, at all.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by qmaasim(m): 11:19pm On May 02, 2007
kato man,
i hav no words to comfort u, let me also let u am in 3 also and trying to just enter 2.2 ,
must still that doesnt matter because it not wat u r taught that is applied in a job,
is wat u know, the practical knowledge that u know u apply,
am also a GURU as my friends call me, am good at my studies but am in 3, it doesnt matter,
why my friends call me GURU is because i have practical knowledge in INTERNET, PROGRAMMING, NETWORKING, WEBSITE DESIGN, ANIMATION e.t.c. for example check my site, www.qmaasim.com
i will just suggest u to do a cetification of CCNA since u r a network literate,
also take the MCSE certification and i promise u will be the hottest cake in nigeria,

cheers,
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by anusule(m): 12:12am On May 03, 2007
why wait for interviews here and there? start somtin on your own.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by Rlst84sale(m): 1:11am On May 03, 2007
I don't know why people keep piling up years of education only to carry a piece of paper looking for an employer while everything is pointing to their employing themselves and others. Please brother get others in similar circumstances but different strong areas of knowlegde from yours together and start something, and God will bless your efforts.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by One: 8:03am On May 03, 2007
A lot of talks about "start something" in here. I think it will help this guy and others in here if some elaboration is given on this "something" he is supposed to start. This guy needs ideas. He already knows he needs to start or do something.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by busygirl(f): 9:56am On May 03, 2007
I'm so sorry, but having a third-class in nigeria almost as good as not going to school. Even if you have skills, no employer will believe you. As for the course computer science. Employers mostly employ either first-class graduates or graduates two-one g. @poster, maybe you should think of going back to school for masters. You might be lucky or betterstill, you can set-up on your own.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by MikelX(m): 10:07am On May 03, 2007
My brother I know exactly how u feel. I too am also in that boat & I can't begin to explain how much insults I've received cus of my degree. But one thing graduating with a third class degree has done is that it's made me look deep within myself & discover strengths & skills I never knew I possessed, I have become more focused & determined, & I have come to realise that my life is what I make of it & not what someone else decides to do with it. So don't ever give up, keep struggling, appreciate ureself, if not no one else will, and most importantly, PUT GOD FIRST!
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by Laurel85(f): 12:02pm On May 03, 2007
sadA 3rd class result in Nigeria is not good@ all. I have a friend who is in ur shoes and he's been thru hell with all these employers. My advice is that u go for a post grad course, do some certifications and while thinking abt that find time to discover urself and see what potentials God has deposited in u. Draw close to God so that He can favour you because that is what u need now if u're still interested in working for someone. Above all, dont give up because where u are now is not where u'll be 4ever but what u do 2day will determine where u'll be 2mrw. Develop urself brother and don't be discouraged. smiley
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by kitaun(m): 4:45pm On May 03, 2007
chrisokw:

3rd class in any field is appalling. No matter how ''difficult'' your field of study, you only compare youself to others in your discipline, and not people in other disciplines. I will rather repeat the whole exam if possible than graduate with a 3rd.

One way to escape your present quagmire will be to get a post grad cert asap.

I wonder whether u ever saw the four walls of a school before shocked angry

@All

what this guy needs is your advice and not stating the obvious, so many people seem to have the stupid belief that grades determine success, meanwhile they tend to ignore the fact that not all 1st class graduands actually make it in life . . . cool

ATTITUDE, NOT APTITUDE DETERMINES HOW BEST YOU WILL MAKE IT IN LIFE wink

YOU ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND OR FOE, WHICHEVER ONE YOU CHOOSE undecided

BEST OF LUCK . . . cool

Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by zebudaya(m): 1:08am On May 04, 2007
Dawg if you think your degree is useless then it is useless, however if you really believe that you are smart but got a 3rd class due to unfortunate circumstances then that's fine.

However, please don't say you are better than people who graduated with 2-1 unless you have proof. have you written commercial software? do you have ideas?. You have to prove it and hope somebody believes you

1 Like

Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by abstarr(m): 10:01am On May 04, 2007
dont worry man, a few certifications up ur belt and ur good to go wink
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by canachy(m): 11:55am On May 04, 2007
@qmaasim

Your website would have looked better if you had designed the layout yourself. Why use a template from Frontpage? (while you know that virtually all web developer have seen and used  that at one time or the other)

I am not condeming your JOB anyway, but just try and design your our layout; UNIQUENESS actually matters, You know?

Hope to see a new layout the next time I visit.
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by godslead(f): 1:26pm On May 04, 2007
Kato,look dont u eva subject yourself to a piece of paper(3rd class certificate)What u are is not in that piece of paper neither is a 1st class piece of paper.Fine its a good thing to graduate with a good grade but my dear friend your destiny is not in a grade.Listen if u believe in God talk to him concerning your job.A family friend of mine had a 2:1 in Banking&finance,tru wit sch4 like 3yrs now still no job.So just keep saying it, dont stop talking it & it will become reality in your life.Just remember to share d gud news ok?
Re: Is A Third Class In Computer Science Useless? by ishmael(m): 2:16pm On May 04, 2007
Forget about the grade you graduated with. I for one i don't believe that all persons that graduated with 3rd class are dull or not good enough; the same thing applies to all persons that graduate with 1st class or 2.1 & 2.2, not all of them are intelligent. just believe in urself and my candid advice is that you shld take your mind away from looking for a job, rather be thing of creating a job for urself. You read a very good course , Computer science; iexpect you to do something with the skills you have except if you don't have any skills in you kpata kpata.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nursing(a Great Career) / Launching a Career in 2024: Advise a Fresh Graduate / Nigerian College Of Aviation Interview Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.