Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope (18232 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Any Hope With 3.49 CGPA? / Tony Elumelu Of UBA Graduated With Third Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by jesuorobo: 11:46am On Aug 02, 2010
hello guys please i need your suggestions on what to do with my life am in my final year in the university and with the Way things are going am going to make a third class degree out of the university(with CGPA of 1.35 and 17 outstanding courses) what do i do, is their any solution,is it possible for me to go and do a masters degree please i need your suggestions
my course of study is business administration and i intend to do my masters degree abroad. or is there still any hope of making a 2:2.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 02, 2010
You need to start business,www.fatefoundation.com, when you become rich you could go for a fast track in the u.k its 2 years bachelors.goodluck
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by VALIDATOR: 12:26pm On Aug 02, 2010
@jesu orobo,
I do not think any school will accept you straight for a Masters Degree. You may be asked to first go through a graduate diploma (often called pgd).
You did not specify your course of study.Neither did you tell us your career goal.It is difficult to give you advice now that you have given us very little information.
Please tell us more.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by jesuorobo: 12:54pm On Aug 02, 2010
my course of study is business administration should i go to another university and start from 200l instead of wasting my time on this degree
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by ijawgirl: 1:08pm On Aug 02, 2010
I dont understand how it works in Nigeria
why cant you just add an extra year
to pull yr GPA up
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by Rooneyboy(m): 2:50pm On Aug 02, 2010
U just suddenly realised that u ll be graduating with a 3rd class , what were u doing all through ur 4/5years of schooling ? Well, no school will take u in with a third class in Nigeria , in most cases they demand for at least 3points , u'll have to do a PGD first before considering a masters degree . good luck.

2 Likes

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by jumiluve: 4:26pm On Aug 02, 2010
I understand your plight. I would advise you to start any professional course. It helps and also groom yourself by reading a lot so you can distingush yourself anywhere. Importantly, dont go around feeling inferior. You have to boost your courage and morale everytime because you will be faced with situations that will make you want to give up and make you feel worthless. Starting from 200level is a waste of time as far as i am concerned. You could start ICAN, do a PGD or anything you want to.
Best of luck.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by Acidosis(m): 5:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
10 outstanding courses? How come?
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by k4kenny(f): 8:26pm On Aug 02, 2010
Acidosis:

10 outstanding courses? How come?

i don't understand how so myself. maybe he/she meant 17 units outstanding undecided.
@poster, graduating with a 3rd class doesn't mean you're doomed for life. i have a friend that graduated with the same grade, now she's into recharge card printing business and she's making more money white collar workers can only dream of. she also enrolled for some professional courses and fully intend to do her masters soon.
why not look into your locality and see what kind of business venture has not been introduced there and dabble into it. don't let anybody get you down or make you feel bad about yourself. goodluck.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by dominique(f): 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2010
and this is related to fashion in what way?
anyways poster, its not where you're coming from but where you're going to. stay focused and plan your future. it doesn't necessarily have to be academia.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by VALIDATOR: 7:39am On Aug 03, 2010
@poster,
Did you use mercenary/special center for your SSCE and JAMB?If you actually used to brain power to get into the university you will be able to know what has been distracting you from having a good academic performance. Nairaland has other sections that are directly related to your problem but you posted this in the fashion section. That teaches me something else about you.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by tamai(f): 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2010
The third class issue again, i graduated from chemistry with a 3rd class.
Someone told me then that it was going to b a spring board in my life,and indeed it has.
I just concluded my pgd in chemistry with a 4point, and intend going for my masters.I'm also
about going for my HSE professional course.The best part is I have a job.The secret-don't see it as a limitation.
See it as a spring board.

7 Likes

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by ManaalKz: 8:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
Hi guys! I'm also a graduate with a Third Class Degree in Computer Science, please I need advice on what to do so that I can get a good job
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by AjanleKoko: 1:33pm On Mar 08, 2013
Manaal Kz: Hi guys! I'm also a graduate with a Third Class Degree in Computer Science, please I need advice on what to do so that I can get a good job

You and OP have actually been set free from a potential life of corporate slavery. Now you've got the opportunity to rewrite your story, and do whatever you want to do with your life. You don't even need any extra motivation, as your degree has put you in the ideal situation to idealize your dreams.
And I'm not being sarcastic. I mean it.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by CrazyMan(m): 4:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
ijaw_girl: I dont understand how it works in Nigeria
why cant you just add an extra year
to pull yr GPA up
He has 17 outstanding courses...I doubt if one year would be enough for him to clear all his courses.

@Op
I would suggest that you step down...I'm sure your dept would permit it...step down to second year, its much easier that way than trying to clear 17 courses with a terrible GPA.

Good luck.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by AjanleKoko: 4:54pm On Mar 08, 2013
CrazyMan:
He has 17 outstanding courses...I doubt if one year would be enough for him to clear all his courses.

@Op
I would suggest that you step down...I'm sure your dept would permit it...step down to second year, its much easier that way than trying to clear 17 courses with a terrible GPA.

Good luck.

Surprised his department let him carry over so many outstanding courses. Sounds like 2+ semesters of work failed. embarassed
@OP, don't they have pre-requisites in your school? You shouldn't even be in final year.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by Nobody: 9:27pm On Mar 08, 2013
AjanleKoko:

You and OP have actually been set free from a potential life of corporate slavery. Now you've got the opportunity to rewrite your story, and do whatever you want to do with your life. You don't even need any extra motivation, as your degree has put you in the ideal situation to idealize your dreams.
And I'm not being sarcastic. I mean it.
GREAT advice

1 Like

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by PaulJohn1: 10:08am On Mar 09, 2013
VALIDATOR: @jesu orobo,
I do not think any school will accept you straight for a Masters Degree. You may be asked to first go through a graduate diploma (often called pgd).
You did not specify your course of study.Neither did you tell us your career goal.It is difficult to give you advice now that you have given us very little information.
Please tell us more.

I think PGD is meant for those who are changing from ordinary degree that doesn't involve education, to make them qualify as an educationist in their course.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by CrazyMan(m): 11:37am On Mar 09, 2013
Paul John: I think PGD is meant for those who are changing from ordinary degree that doesn't involve education, to make them qualify as an educationist in their course.
You're wrong my man...PGD is for those whose GPA falls below 3.0 after completion of their university program.

The PGD serves as a stepping stone for them to attain their Msc.

You cannot attend a polytechnic or college of education and decide to go for PGD. It doesn't work that way...there are certain requirements which you must present in the institution of your choice before you'll be cleared to resume your program. And as far as I can tell, ND and NCE aren't among the requirements needed for the program.

Msc is a different ball game entirely...with the high level of graduates seeking for jobs these days, most of them feel that in order to stand a chance or rather to have an edge over the majority, they prefer to go for Masters in order to boost their CV...which they feel might increase their chances of getting employed.

Currently, I know some schools that even with a GPA of 3.8 you won't be admitted for an Msc program due to the high number of applicants.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by PaulJohn1: 2:52pm On Mar 09, 2013
^^
PGD helps to deviate into education proper in the course you've studied. Even with your Ph.D, you have to get your PGD to lecture in institutions or to teach in high school
PGD as stepping stone to attain M.sc for those with a CGPA below 3.00 is incorrect.

A pal of mine graduated with a CGPA below 3.00 and presently he's almost done with his M.sc program in Moscow, plus he's starting his Ph.D this year without ever knowing anything as PGD.

Another instance is of a close young lady that graduated with a 3rd class, lost hope just like the OP and went for PGD in order to deviate from being just a graduate of Macro Biology to being an educationist in Macro biology which qualifies her to lecture in that field. Luckily for her she was admitted for M.sc even in a Nigerian university without tendering her PGD certificate.

The first guy of a CGPA bellow 3.0 did his M.sc without any PGD.
The other lady with a 3rd class was admitted for her M.sc program even in a Nigerian University. Did her PGD not for M.sc but to become an educationist in that field.

...And as far as I can tell, ND and NCE aren't among the requirements needed for the program.

There are guys who went for PGD with their HND and even OND certificate. Exceptional cases are those who added education to their main course in the university, because PGD curriculum has been included while in uni, but are limited to lecturing or teaching and not as a professional of their course but educationist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by CrazyMan(m): 10:12pm On Mar 09, 2013
Paul John: ^^
PGD helps to deviate into education proper in the course you've studied.
If you have little or no knowledge about something, why not ask...I said this before, and I shall repeat it again...PGD is a stepping stone for those who wish to further their degree.

Paul John: Even with your Ph.D, you have to get your PGD to lecture in institutions or to teach in high school
Now you're sounding more like a comedian...how would you after attaining your PhD, come back to run a PGD program?

Are you listening to yourself at all?

How many of the PhD lecturers in your school have a Post Graduate Degree...or don't you buy text books in the universities?

Do you see anything like PGD among the numerous degrees of the author?

So why weren't they restricted from lecturing since the don't have their PGD...

I'm sure you don't even understand what Post Graduate Degree is all about.

Paul John: PGD as stepping stone to attain M.sc for those with a CGPA below 3.00 is incorrect.
Those with a CGPA below 3.0 who are aspiring to run their Msc in a reputable Nigerian University...that's what I meant and I can defend my statement.

I have a friend who graduated with 2.8 in Mech engr. From futo, and applied for Msc in Unilag...guess what, he was rejected.

But I'm sure that in some glorified secondary schools, that camouflage themselves as universities, he would be given admission with ease.

Paul John: A pal of mine graduated with a CGPA below 3.00 and presently he's almost done with his M.sc program in Moscow, plus he's starting his PhD this year without ever knowing anything as PGD.
What has Moscow got to do with a PGD...I'm sure that in moscow they would have their criteria for their various degrees...my argument is strictly about Nigeria.

Paul John: Another instance is of a close young lady that graduated with a 3rd class, lost hope just like the OP and went for PGD in order to deviate from being just a graduate of Macro Biology to being an educationist in Macro biology which qualifies her to lecture in that field. Luckily for her she was admitted for M.sc even in a Nigerian university without tendering her PGD certificate.
In case you don't know...various universities have various means of admission into various programs.

Now in the case of the lady...no reputable university in Nigeria would admit a 3rd class graduate into an Msc program directly. Its not possible.

Let me give you an example...I applied for Msc in unizik (area of specialization programing) we were about 300 candidates that applied for the same course (computer science)

Now what the Sub dean told us was that they (the school) would admit students according to the availability of supervisors on ground.

Meaning if there are only 5 available supervisors, they won't be able to take above 50, so your admission would come based on your GPA.

Meaning if you applied for your Masters with a CPGA of 3.6, and after the final screening you couldn't make the first 50 list, you'll have to go home despite your high GP.

So stop telling me that a girl with 3rd class was allowed to run her masters directly. Unless of course the university isn't a reputable Nigerian university

Paul John: The first guy of a CGPA bellow 3.0 did his M.sc without any PGD.
That's moscow not Nigeria. I'm sure they must have other means by which their international students can partake freely in their degree programs.

Paul John: The other lady with a 3rd class was admitted for her M.sc program even in a Nigerian University. Did her PGD not for M.sc but to become an educationist in that field.
I don't get you...why not ask the lady in question to explain her plight in details to you so you know how to argue.

Why must you base your argument on someone else's story...she could be lying to you for all I know.

Paul John: There are guys who went for PGD with their HND and even OND certificate.
Lies...you can't go for PGD with an OND, I can't really say much about HND.

Paul John: Exceptional cases are those who added education to their main course in the university, because PGD curriculum has been included while in uni, but are limited to lecturing or teaching and not as a professional of their course but educationist.
What's with you and education?

Are you trying to tell me that PGD is strictly for those in faculty of education?

You keep sounding like someone who read his facts from a book and not from experience

3 Likes

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by PaulJohn1: 12:43am On Mar 11, 2013
lol at facts being read from books. My man, my facts are gotten from people around me with sturdy experience(s).
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by sixteen08(m): 7:24am On Mar 11, 2013
Where is d OP sef Dis Jesuorobo na kpayan oooo....shey him no go come share him story to help and inspire other peeps with similar plights.....abi hw him take sort out d issue since 2010 ....his story might save someone's life,you'll never know
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by PaulJohn1: 8:44am On Mar 11, 2013
Op only registered to share what stood as his obstarcle, commented twice and logged out for life cheesy

I hope he'd have scaled through by now

1 Like 1 Share

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by sixteen08(m): 9:17am On Mar 11, 2013
Him b kpayan true true.....cheesy cheesy grin gringrin
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by AdoOloro(m): 3:28pm On Mar 18, 2013
@ CrazyMan, yours is the most confusing comment i've ever read!

It's so long and boring. Get people to help you out on some issues. No, no one knows all.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by iwanchop(m): 11:26pm On Mar 20, 2013
Paul John: lol at facts being read from books. My man, my facts are gotten from people around me with sturdy experience(s).

Post graduate diploma in education(PGDE) is for
1. A graduate wt a 3rd class degree in education
2.A degree holder in a non_education course e.g B.A English or B Sc Botany,who wants to do an M.Ed

Post graduate diploma in other courses is actually meant for
1. A 3rd class degree holder who wants to do a masters
2.An HND holder
3. A 1st class,2.1,2.2 holder in Physics for example,who wants to become an Engr must do a PG D in an Engring course

1 Like

Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by iwanchop(m): 12:01am On Mar 21, 2013
Paul John: lol at facts being read from books. My man, my facts are gotten from people around me with sturdy experience(s).
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by jenimarkk: 2:21pm On Aug 28, 2014
Getting a master's degree, law degree, or four year college education abroad opens up all the more systems administration potential outcomes more over Universities abroad will give you life experience degree or college credits based on your job experience. The more places you go, the more individuals you meet, and the more open doors could conceivably emerge. As is commonly said: it’s not what you know yet who you know.
Whether you decide to study in Europe, Asia, or Australia, mulling over wherever outside of your local nation will open your eyes to new encounters. Since every nation accompanies its own particular set of societies, getting a master's degree, law degree, or four year college education abroad helps you to comprehend and figure out how to work with individuals from varying backgrounds. This excessively will look good for you in your profession.
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by houseoftuition: 9:02pm On Sep 02, 2014
You can now get Chartered as an Accountant with ICAN from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope by Nobody: 11:14pm On Sep 02, 2014
AjanleKoko:

Surprised his department let him carry over so many outstanding courses. Sounds like 2+ semesters of work failed. embarassed
@OP, don't they have pre-requisites in your school? You shouldn't even be in final year.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

N150,000 Job Or Fully Funded Scholarship For Masters In Malaysia / Pls Advice An Accounting Graduate: CFA Or ICAN? / N200k/month Earning Is No Longer The Way Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.