Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely (10783 Views)

Standard & Nicely Located Self Contained Apartment At Akoka. Price : 250,000 / Nigeria Brand Of Education Is A Scam! Read And Criticize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Angelawhite(m): 5:23pm On May 03, 2019
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 03, 2019
Femston:
Simply put, criticize and ready to proffer some solutions to the criticism
Criticism is good but the approach towards conveying the message is what op is stressing at. Many persons lack that approach

3 Likes

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 03, 2019
Spynaija:

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines “criticism” as “a critical observation or remark, the act of criticizing usually unfavourably”. Have you ever had an experience when someone told you how fat you’ve suddenly become? Or Maybe your boss had commented on how bad your work turned out to be?. Maybe you’ve heard from other folks how people view you as proud and unapproachable type?

It Hurts, doesn’t it?

Believe it or not, some people can be so undiplomatic that they are not even aware when they’ve hurt anyone’s feelings, that’s the receiving parties, especially the sensitive ones, they’ll be offended by their remarks, of which can eventually result in conflicts and arguments.

Your primary thoughts might be to help them maybe keep their lifestyle or health on check, but would they realize your good intentions instead of feeling hurt by your blunt comments or remark?

They might probably think you’re impolite. But what can you do if you really need to profess an honest criticism, but you’re afraid of hurting others’ feelings?

Now Here’s the secret

All you have to do is sandwich your negative comment between two positive remarks.
For example, your best friend Bassey is going on his very first date. He’s all excited and desirous to go. You know Bassey doesn’t have any fashion sense. He’s wearing a bland shirt with an old jeans. You know quite well how he hates to admit faults. So what will you do to save Bassey from an embarrassing first date?

Would you say out-rightly to him that the outfit he’s wearing is appalling? That would hurt his ego.

Well, you can first commend him on the things you like in his overall appearance. Comment on his well-groomed hair. Ask him where he bought his perfume because it can literally attract women like bees to honey. Be very sincere and honest.

Then, insert in a nice and suave approach your point of view and advice. You can tell him something like:

“Your shirt looks very nice Bassey, Since this is your very first date, I think Beky (his date) will be much more impressed if you would wear something like the outfit that you wore on my birthday. You look irresistible when you put on clothes like that.”

Afterwards, make another positive statement. You could say something like:

“You would definitely portray a big impression on Beky. She would fall heads over heels over your nice appearance and cheery personality. Have a great time on your date, Bassey.”

Do you think Bassey would be offended by such a nice comments? You have wittingly inserted a slightly negative feedback into a plethora of acceptable and ego-boosting remarks.

Generally, People love compliments, They believe they’ve got the caliber. They want other people to magnify the abilities they believe to possess. People like to hear others talk about their greatness and qualities, and they’ll be very glad if other people would know about it.

So if you intend to criticize anybody, remember to laud him/her first. It will leave a positive impression that you’re a nice guy. Then say what you have to say, but in a nice and non-offensive approach. Finalize with another positive remark to set a pace for amity.

Source https://spynaija.com/2019/05/02/how-to-criticize-constructively/

We don't need that in Nigeria.
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by jaz(m): 7:36pm On May 03, 2019
I guess that makes you feel good about yourself
derrydinny:
all these talk just to make someone feel cool and unharmed with the truth, crap

if the truth I tell you hurts you, that is your problem, I don't have time to make up some words just to make you feel good
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Byggshoes(m): 7:40pm On May 03, 2019
Lovely
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Originalsly: 7:43pm On May 03, 2019
Hmmm....sounds nice... but guess wouldn't work with me... both ways. I have no more sugar to sugar coat criticisms.... mine is generally served bitter. On receiving critisms... constructive criticisms ....I'm fine with that...in fact..I welcome that. Soooo many times I thought I had things all figured out... until the criticisms came along to magnify the weaknesses and wrongs. Like I serve it...I don't mind receiving it the same... blunt... to the point. If you start as suggested...by beating around the bush... I begin to suspect you have an agenda.... buttering me up for the kill....is it you want to borrow money?... distract me? Tell me like it is.
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 03, 2019
How on earth can dis post impact positively in our current country Nija?
Pls pass this post to my women police grin grin
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by godlyguy(m): 8:49pm On May 03, 2019
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by RexTramadol1: 9:12pm On May 03, 2019
Hmm
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Rick9(m): 10:26pm On May 03, 2019
DanoskiDaniels:
Me I like being blunt and straight to the point and that's why I only criticize my guys cause I know they are familiar with my mannerisms..

I go be like, guy go change that cloth e no fyn, u resemble bush boy...

He will b lyk, UR Fada

grin grin cheesy
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Kingkun69(m): 8:44am On May 04, 2019
Spynaija:

Merriam Webster Dictionary defines “criticism” as “a critical observation or remark, the act of criticizing usually unfavourably”. Have you ever had an experience when someone told you how fat you’ve suddenly become? Or Maybe your boss had commented on how bad your work turned out to be?. Maybe you’ve heard from other folks how people view you as proud and unapproachable type?

It Hurts, doesn’t it?

Believe it or not, some people can be so undiplomatic that they are not even aware when they’ve hurt anyone’s feelings, that’s the receiving parties, especially the sensitive ones, they’ll be offended by their remarks, of which can eventually result in conflicts and arguments.

Your primary thoughts might be to help them maybe keep their lifestyle or health on check, but would they realize your good intentions instead of feeling hurt by your blunt comments or remark?

They might probably think you’re impolite. But what can you do if you really need to profess an honest criticism, but you’re afraid of hurting others’ feelings?

Now Here’s the secret

All you have to do is sandwich your negative comment between two positive remarks.
For example, your best friend Bassey is going on his very first date. He’s all excited and desirous to go. You know Bassey doesn’t have any fashion sense. He’s wearing a bland shirt with an old jeans. You know quite well how he hates to admit faults. So what will you do to save Bassey from an embarrassing first date?

Would you say out-rightly to him that the outfit he’s wearing is appalling? That would hurt his ego.

Well, you can first commend him on the things you like in his overall appearance. Comment on his well-groomed hair. Ask him where he bought his perfume because it can literally attract women like bees to honey. Be very sincere and honest.

Then, insert in a nice and suave approach your point of view and advice. You can tell him something like:

“Your shirt looks very nice Bassey, Since this is your very first date, I think Beky (his date) will be much more impressed if you would wear something like the outfit that you wore on my birthday. You look irresistible when you put on clothes like that.”

Afterwards, make another positive statement. You could say something like:

“You would definitely portray a big impression on Beky. She would fall heads over heels over your nice appearance and cheery personality. Have a great time on your date, Bassey.”

Do you think Bassey would be offended by such a nice comments? You have wittingly inserted a slightly negative feedback into a plethora of acceptable and ego-boosting remarks.

Generally, People love compliments, They believe they’ve got the caliber. They want other people to magnify the abilities they believe to possess. People like to hear others talk about their greatness and qualities, and they’ll be very glad if other people would know about it.

So if you intend to criticize anybody, remember to laud him/her first. It will leave a positive impression that you’re a nice guy. Then say what you have to say, but in a nice and non-offensive approach. Finalize with another positive remark to set a pace for amity.

Source https://spynaija.com/2019/05/02/how-to-criticize-constructively/
nothing beats the classic 'olodo you no get brain just dey talk rubbish carry ur mumu jump for river' just feels a little bit satisfying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by Ajibaba101(m): 8:44am On May 04, 2019
See the easiest way you can achieve customer satisfaction https://explicitsuccess.com/how-to-achieve-customer-satisfaction/
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by olamy7(m): 9:49am On May 04, 2019
derrydinny:
all these talk just to make someone feel cool and unharmed with the truth, crap

if the truth I tell you hurts you, that is your problem, I don't have time to make up some words just to make you feel good
and that's why people don't seek you for advice
Re: How To Criticize Constructively And Nicely by ndyfaby: 1:11pm On Jun 15, 2020
For Scholarships update Visit https://trainages.com/

<a href="https://trainages.com/dali-university-csc-scholarship/">Dali University CSC Scholarship for International Students</a> is now open to interested Applicants
<a href="http://trainages.com/university-of-dayton/">University Of Dayton International Scholarship | Fully Funded</a> is now open to interested Applicants
<a href="https://trainages.com/category/scholarships/">Scholarships Application 2020</a> is now open to interested students
<a href="https://trainages.com/ty-danjuma-mba-scholarships/”>TY Danjuma MBA Scholarship for African Students 2020/2021</a> interested students can apply

(1) (2) (Reply)

Medicine Or Masters After Degree In Anatomy? / What Students Can Do To Make Money On Phones / Truths Only Few Can Handle... You Were Warned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.