Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,250 members, 7,825,981 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Frugal Gardening Tips - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Frugal Gardening Tips (379 Views)

Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish / Saving Some Cost By Gardening--without Limits (pictures) / Backyard Gardening Frugal And Fun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frugal Gardening Tips by atnerjennac24(f): 6:44am On May 04, 2019

Many Americans are turning to gardening as a way to raise some of their own food over the summer and ease the strain of high grocery prices, which are affecting more and more families on tight budgets. Candace at Garden of Blessings suggests Gardening for Snowflakes, which those clued in to the Snowflake idea recognize as a way to save large and small bits of money to apply to one’s debt snowball or savings fund.

I’ve started more seedlings and container garden plants this spring than any year previously since I left my family’s farm and went to college at age 17. My motivation is part culinary and part financial. If I can grow my own tomatoes, we can enjoy their delicious fruits all summer. But if I don’t, I don’t know if I’ll be able to afford to buy them from someone else.

There are many ways to save money as you garden. I spent less than $25 on my garden last year and had hundreds of plants with an incredible harvest. Maybe I cheated, since a dear friend shared many seeds and plants with me, but you can cheat, too. Here are some frugal gardening tips I’ve discovered along the way.

Free soil. My sister brought me two truckloads of composted horse manure mixed with soil, from the barn where she works. There was no charge, as the owners were happy to send the soil along and make room for new manure.

Compost.
We’ve been composting kitchen and garden scraps for years, turning egg shells, vegetable waste and leaves into rich soil. We keep a 2-gallon food storage container by the sink to collect scraps, but you could buy a fancier compost pail if you’re so inclined.

Recycled containers. My container garden includes wooden pear crates form the grocery store, waxed boxes from another store’s garbage, and free pots I inherited from friends and past landscaping projects. I made a strawberry bed using old bricks I found in our yard when we bought the place. I found several old metal pots in someone’s trash pile, and after my husband drills holes in the bottoms they’ll be put to use as planters.

Natural fertilizer. I bought seaweed fertilizer instead of chemical mixes, mainly to remain organic and with the added benefit of saving money.
Rainwater. I recently collected rainwater from our downspouts in several coolers. I stored the water in them for a few days before the garden needed to be watered, and filled my watering can enough times to water the entire garden.

Manure. Chicken manure and horse manure can usually be gotten for nothing or next to nothing from farmers and barns with more than they can handle or effectively compost.

Seeds. A kind friend gave me a large variety of extra seeds, and I bought seed potatoes online. They’re heirlooms, but I got them for less than they were at the large heirloom seeds company, Seed Savers. Save your own non-hybrid seeds form year to year from the harvest and you’ll spend even less.

Are you a frugal gardener? How do you save money as you grow your own fruits, vegetables and flowers? smiley smiley smiley

Learn More At: The Elliott Homestead
=====
Read more: morninghomestead.com
Re: Frugal Gardening Tips by Bigboss322: 9:59am On Feb 22, 2021
This is so good!

1 Like

Re: Frugal Gardening Tips by llugguss: 10:05am On Feb 22, 2021
I am so grateful that I have lots of gardeners in my family. My childhood was spent learning about trees, seeds, and anything that's related to this agriculture field. My grandpa was a gardener, my father is a gardener and I am planning to become one. It's a dream job for me. A friend of our family, which is also a gardener, haha, has shown me this website called https://lawn.com.au/gardeners/ where I was able to see what it takes to actually run this business. I cannot wait for the day that I will be able to start my own one. It will have the best gardeners that this planet has seen haha
Re: Frugal Gardening Tips by abragred: 10:37am On Feb 22, 2021
llugguss:
I am so grateful that I have lots of gardeners in my family. My childhood was spent learning about trees, seeds, and anything that's related to this agriculture field. My grandpa was a gardener, my father is a gardener and I am planning to become one. It's a dream job for me. A friend of our family, which is also a gardener, haha, has shown me this website called https://lawn.com.au/gardeners/ where I was able to see what it takes to actually run this business. I cannot wait for the day that I will be able to start my own one. It will have the best gardeners that this planet has seen haha
I wish someone else could send me his opinion

(1) (Reply)

Well Dried Cashew Nuts Needed / Poundo Yam Flour Business / Cockerel 5 Weeks For Sales @350 Naira And Wholesale Price is 300

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.