Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,648 members, 7,809,445 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium (5507 Views)

FG To Slash Levy On Imported Cars To 5% From 35% / China Begins Export Of Second Hand Cars To Nigeria / 14 Most Common Problems With Used And Second-hand Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by HisSexcellency(m): 8:31pm On May 04, 2019
I've observed that Nigerians refer to imported second handed products especially automobiles and other electronics such as tv, fridges, generator sets, home theatre e.t.c as Belgium.
Don't really know how or when this name came about.
Even building materials have Belgium grin

You hear things like "direct belgium ".
Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by paix(m): 9:25pm On May 04, 2019
I think Belgium was the collection center for the goods before final shipment to Nigeria.
Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by HisSexcellency(m): 10:50pm On May 04, 2019
paix:
I think Belgium was the collection center for the goods before final shipment to Nigeria.
Even goods coming from the US?
For vehicles, clean ones are usually tagged "direct Belgium " with pride by the dealers.
Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by paix(m): 11:42pm On May 04, 2019
HisSexcellency:

Even goods coming from the US?
For vehicles, clean ones are usually tagged "direct Belgium " with pride by the dealers.
I don't know about that. I was only assuming.
Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by nurey(m): 7:55am On May 05, 2019
HisSexcellency:
I've observed that Nigerians refer to imported second handed products especially automobiles and other electronics such as tv, fridges, generator sets, home theatre e.t.c as Belgium.
Don't really know how or when this name came about.
Even building materials have Belgium grin

You hear things like "direct belgium ".

in the 70s and 80s most goods in Europe are manufactured in Belgium due to low cost of production. So any goods coming into the country have "Made in Belgium" remember we imported goods first from Europe before we looked to Americans that's where the word was coined from. It's use now is the herd mentality of Nigeria's, it has been over thrown though by "UK used" the next generation would adopt UK used and leave Belgium tokunbo and co

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by Connoisseur(m): 8:02am On May 05, 2019
paix:

This is more like it. I think Belgium used to be a transit point for second hand goods before onward shipment to Nigeria. That was long before we started buying second hand cars. Even though the cars do not come from Belgium, since it is second hand, then it's Belgium.
Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by HisSexcellency(m): 9:33am On May 05, 2019
nurey:

in the 70s and 80s most goods in Europe are manufactured in Belgium due to low cost of production. So any goods coming into the country have "Made in Belgium" remember we imported goods first from Europe before we looked to Americans that's where the word was coined from. It's use now is the herd mentality of Nigeria's, it has been over thrown though by "UK used" the next generation would adopt UK used and leave Belgium tokunbo and co
I believe this your analogy might be wrong especially the bolded because goods tagged "Belgium " are mainly secondhand and not brand new.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by nurey(m): 9:47am On May 05, 2019
HisSexcellency:

I believe this your analogy might be wrong especially the bolded because goods tagged "Belgium " are mainly secondhand and not brand new.

if goods used in Europe are manufactured in Belgium and Germany, poland, Uruguay etc are in Europe and we import used product from there what do you think the used product from there would be called?

Also read my analogy several times and see what I am saying
Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by sultaan(m): 11:16am On May 05, 2019
In the late 80's a !of of the used cars were shipped in from Belgium
Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by paix(m): 1:34pm On May 05, 2019
Connoisseur:

This is more like it. I think Belgium used to be a transit point for second hand goods before onward shipment to Nigeria. That was long before we started buying second hand cars. Even though the cars do not come from Belgium, since it is second hand, then it's Belgium.
That's exactly what I mean.
Re: Why Do People Call Imported Second Hand Products Belgium by Fogman(m): 4:54pm On May 05, 2019
In the 80s-90s Belgium port handles more than 90℅ of export to Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Corolla 07 Vs Corolla 09 Vs Camry 09 / Guys Can You Let Your Woman Drive Your Car? / Jesus Please Take The Wheel! Fashola Should See This (men Of Kai)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.