Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,690 members, 7,865,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 04:01 AM

Ribadu: Pdp Will Go ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu: Pdp Will Go ! (598 Views)

Adamawa - Nuhu Ribadu [PDP], Concedes Defeat, Releases Concession Statement / PDP Will Pardon Amaechi, Wamakko If They Apologise / Ribadu’s Appointment Is An Insult – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu: Pdp Will Go ! by wales(m): 7:18am On Sep 21, 2010
NUHU Ribadu, the former Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) boss, Monday served the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) a quit notice.

To Ribadu, who is running for president on the platform of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), the PDP political behemoth is vulnerable.

Ribadu spoke of Nigeria of his dreams, describing himself as a candidate of change, in Abuja.

He said he chose the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) as his platform because of its progressive bent.

Responding to a question on the likelihood of the progressives upstaging the PDP, Ribadu said: "I believe it is possible. I believe it can work.

"I believe change is in the air in Nigeria today. It’s not that the progressives have not worked before but they were robbed of the victory.

"This time, Nigerians are going to say ‘no’, time has come for us to change. Nigeria is changing. People are waking up; people are saying that it is time for us to have free and fair elections; it is time for our votes to count. This time, I can assure you it will work.

"It did not work before because of stealing of elections, rigging. These people were victims of stolen elections. Now, there is a change. Nigerians are saying that we are tired of this horrible way of stealing governments. Now it is old-fashioned; this crude way has to stop.

"If Zimbabwe could organise free and fair elections, why not Nigeria? If Ghana could organise free and fair elections, why not Nigeria? If Sierra-Leone, Liberia, countries that are coming out of civil wars could organise free and fair elections, why not Nigeria? If Guinea, just coming out of trouble now, could organise a free and fair election, why not Nigeria?

"The time has come for free and fair elections in Nigeria and if free and fair election is going to be the case, I can assure you the progressives would take it. This is what I believe is happening and what is going to happen and what is encouraging all of us to come together to give our country a chance, a new lease of life, a new hope. It will work and I am sure you also would like the same conclusion based on what is happening today."

Pressed to highlight past elections in which the progressives were cheated, Ribadu said: "Most of the elections we have had in our country. What of the elections that they themselves accepted and agreed that it was not right. Are you not a Nigerian? What did you hear in 2007?

"The President came out publicly and said the election that brought him was wrong, was rigged and we took it. So, it may be your own judgement and conclusion on that. And not only that, I mean you can see what happened in all the past Republics in this country; first, second, third Republics.

"So, to be honest, we have had elections where people won and they were never allowed to rule. It is glaring. I am sure this time it is going to change because simply Nigerians are saying ‘no’. Simply, the world has changed; the world has changed. We cannot be left just behind for this long.

"Things are taking place in the world and in Africa. It must come to our own country because we deserve it, because we are entitled to it too. Time for you to win an election and they say "no, they cannot give you" is over. Let it be reality. I mean in this country we have had individuals who won elections and they said ‘you cannot rule, you cannot take over’.

"It is time for the progressives to salvage the nation," he said.

All the states being managed by the progressives, like Lagos, Edo, Ondo and Anambra, "are performing creditably", he added.

Also Monday, former Military President Ibrahim Babangida and Kwara State Governor Bukola Saraki returned the PDP nomination forms.

Former National Security Adviser Aliyu Gusau also picked the PDP form.

Ribadu said he was confident that he would not fail in his presidential bid, adding: "I have decided as a starting point to go with a new party called ACN. Of course, it is the first vehicle and I believe it’s surely going to be bigger than that.

"The reason why I have gone that direction is simple. As a first step for you to get in, it is usually right for you to observe and judge on the basis of what is on ground and what is existing.

"Today, I am comfortable with what is happening in Lagos State. The leadership there has shown that the possibility of good governance is there. Today, I am very happy with what is happening in Edo State; it is also an example of good governance, transparency and accountability; a government that is delivering.

"I am very happy with even what is happening in Ondo State and pleased with what is going on in Anambra State and, therefore, that has helped me to go the direction I am going. I want to see the possibility of bringing good governance to the Federal Government of Nigeria. And the examples of these gentlemen encouraged me to go this direction. And the platform, like I said, is ACN.

"I have decided that I am going to join the new party called ACN and I do intend to go and register once the exercise kicks off and we are registering new members. My intention is to go in and pick my membership card in my ward in Yola. And I also do intend to be part of the train that will bring change to our own country.

"The change we are going to bring is progressive and I said that there are many and I have seen good governance around and across the country. It is my hope and my expectation that all of us are going to come under one platform to give Nigeria a chance, to give democracy a chance to work, to take over and also run the Federal Government effectively like the way it is run today in Lagos, in Ondo, in Anambra and a couple of other places.

"We are going to work hard in the realisation of that objective and we are going to get it. Nigeria is going to have a new political party that is going to be national; that is going to give chance for democracy to work."

Ribadu confirmed moves by the progressives to come together to win the 2011 poll, saying: "But my prayer, my hope is that all the progressives; all those who are doing well for our own country; all those with this massive dream of a better Nigeria will come together and stand as one to move forward with the intention of saving our own country.

"There is a bigger picture ahead of us. We do intend to capture it. My belief is that there is the need for a party that is going to be national; there is the need for a party that can move this nation forward."

"It was a coalition of progressives who when they came together, they said they were not going to be deterred and issues like religion, ethnicity could not come and did not come. We had a state that was even Muslim/Muslim that won an election in this country. What a progressive change? We want to re-enact it. But not necessarily that we are going to do exactly; no. We are going to say that progressives would come together, this time they will work hard and that this time their votes would count and let’s pray to Almighty God to support us in this noble cause.

Asked if he has any chance, Ribadu said: "First and foremost, I have never failed in my life. I have strong faith in God; I believe God will stand by what is right.

"I have faith and I believe this thing will work. My life is in His hands and the same thing that of all of us."

Ribadu was silent on his running mate, saying: "My own leadership is going to be a leadership that listens; it is going to be a leadership that will respect people and it is a leadership that is going to be collective; including the decision to have a running mate.

"For now, I can tell you I have not made up my mind on that at all and it is going to be more than just me as an individual."

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/13878.html

Re: Ribadu: Pdp Will Go ! by sbeezy8: 7:20am On Sep 21, 2010
jonathan will be president but pdp will DEF lose some states. I predict oyo osun kwara abia delta and a couple in the north
Re: Ribadu: Pdp Will Go ! by wales(m): 7:23am On Sep 21, 2010
I advise Ribadu to join the Jonathan train and wait till 2015 for his time. There is no viable opposition for now that can dislodge PDP. Jonathan is for a positive change in the polity despite being a PDP man. Let all that confessed to be progressives join hands with him to move this country forward. Jonathan is not a conservative in anyway.
Re: Ribadu: Pdp Will Go ! by sbeezy8: 7:27am On Sep 21, 2010
NO RIBADU IS FINE- let him split the north votes
Re: Ribadu: Pdp Will Go ! by kokooro(m): 10:04am On Sep 21, 2010
sbeezy8:

YES!!! it's a political calculation.
He doesn't have to wait till 2015, Let the awareness start nowww.
Re: Ribadu: Pdp Will Go ! by naso2(m): 10:22am On Sep 21, 2010
sbeezy8:

You dont get it. He will have more votes in the SW than the north. Without ribadu GEJ will have a clean sweep in the SW. His entry might to be a northern plot to boost IBB's chances. IBB is likely to fly the ANPP flag.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria@50: Brazil To Translate Achebe, Adichie’s Novels To Portuguese / Psc Promotes Seven Aigs ! / How To Make Our Votes Count In 2011

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.