Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,220 members, 7,829,364 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:11 AM

Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub (18761 Views)

Ogun State: Emerging Industrial Hub Of Nigeria (Pictures) / President Buhari Visits Ondo, Commissions Industrial Hub, Flyover (Photos) / Don’t Turn Delta Into Theatre Of War, Monarchs Tell Military (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by shadeyinka(m): 8:13am On May 09, 2019
MorufuAtanda:

Our propaganda and lies is getting too much. We are making Yoruba a laugh stock. If Ojukwu wanted to invade and annex Yorubaland, na Yoruba man him go send?

That wasn't his point. All Ojukwus wanted was Lagos. And Nigeria will sign for a truce.

Like I said, it wasn't too wise a move but that was the general thinking then. That was the way coups are played out. Capture the sit of power and all becomes yours.

1 Like

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by franchasng: 8:15am On May 09, 2019
tactius:

Not necessarily...the idea was to open up a war on two fronts for the Nigerian Army

At the start of the Civil War in 1967, the Midwest Region was neutral and the war was being fought on the Biafran northern border. As a result, the Biafran Army opened up a second front by capturing the Midwest region...which was lightly defended, entering the Western region, capturing Ore, with Lagos being in their sights (a creek-borne invasion was planned)

This invasion had two effects

1.It tipped the Western region to the Federal side (previously they were kind of neutral).

2.It forced Gowon to declare total war, form a total war cabinet, and begin to fight seriously

The Midwest region was recaptured, and the war heated up.

P.S The Biafran Midwest governor...Albert Okonkwo declared the Midwest a republic called 'Benin Republic' which lasted 24 hours. The idea was to have a buffer state between Biafra and Nigeria. It did not work

PS2. As a result of the failed invasion, several biafran officers...Ifeajuana, Banjo and several others including Sam Alale were executed for treason.(Rumor has it that they were planning to capture the Western region, then remove Ojukwu, and then acheive the goals of the January coupists....something alluded to by Ademoyega in his book 'Why we struck')
Banjo, Ifeajuna, Sam, etc were executed because they halted the advancement of Biafran soldiers towards capturing Lagos.

Banjo a Southwest soldier saw it unnecessary taking over Lagos, so he connived with Ifeajuna, Sam and other Biafran commanders to stop Biafran soldiers from taking over Lagos, so they delayed moving into Lagos from Sagamu and rather retreated back to Ore where Nigerian army led by Obasanjo and others then attacked them and pushed Biafran soldiers back to Benin.

Ojukwu was informed that Ifeajuna, Banjo and co were plotting to overthrow him, and surrender to Nigerian government, so Ojukwu executed them.

Ojukwu also feared Nzeogwu because Nzeogwu was very brutal and unpredictable, so Ojukwu made sure Nzeogwu was far from him, and Nzeogwu always went to battlefield on his own instruction with his army crew, until his military truck failed him at Nsukka and Nigerian army got him cry
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Babatundecash(m): 8:15am On May 09, 2019
tactius:

Not necessarily...the idea was to open up a war on two fronts for the Nigerian Army

At the start of the Civil War in 1967, the Midwest Region was neutral and the war was being fought on the Biafran northern border. As a result, the Biafran Army opened up a second front by capturing the Midwest region...which was lightly defended, entering the Western region, capturing Ore, with Lagos being in their sights (a creek-borne invasion was planned)

This invasion had two effects

1.It tipped the Western region to the Federal side (previously they were kind of neutral).

2.It forced Gowon to declare total war, form a total war cabinet, and begin to fight seriously

The Midwest region was recaptured, and the war heated up.

P.S The Biafran Midwest governor...Albert Okonkwo declared the Midwest a republic called 'Benin Republic' which lasted 24 hours. The idea was to have a buffer state between Biafra and Nigeria. It did not work

PS2. As a result of the failed invasion, several biafran officers...Ifeajuana, Banjo and several others including Sam Alale were executed for treason.(Rumor has it that they were planning to capture the Western region, then remove Ojukwu, and then acheive the goals of the January coupists....something alluded to by Ademoyega in his book 'Why we struck')

Thanks for the enlightenment.
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by franchasng: 8:17am On May 09, 2019
Babatundecash:

OK...Thanks for the enlightenment and God bless you
You too bro
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by MorufuAtanda: 8:18am On May 09, 2019
shadeyinka:

That wasn't his point. All Ojukwus wanted was Lagos. And Nigeria will sign for a truce.

Like I said, it wasn't too wise a move but that was the general thinking then. That was the way coups are played out. Capture the sit of power and all becomes yours.

And what was the wisest move? To sit in his land and keep getting pummelled by Gowon's bombs?
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Nobody: 8:20am On May 09, 2019
franchasng:
Banjo, Ifeajuna, Sam, etc were executed because they halted the advancement of Biafran soldiers towards capturing Lagos.

Banjo a Southwest soldier saw it unnecessary taking over Lagos, so he connived with Ifeajuna, Sam and other Biafran commanders to stop Biafran soldiers from taking over Lagos, so they delayed moving into Lagos from Sagamu and rather retreated back to Ore where Nigerian army led by Obasanjo and others then attacked them and pushed Biafran soldiers back to Benin.

Ojukwu was informed that Ifeajuna, Banjo and co were plotting to overthrow him, and surrender to Nigerian government, so Ojukwu executed them.

Ojukwu also feared Nzeogwu because Nzeogwu was very brutal and unpredictable, so Ojukwu made sure Nzeogwu was far from him, and Nzeogwu always went to battlefield on his own instruction with his army crew, until his military truck failed him at Nsukka and Nigerian army got him cry

Thanks, I wanted to mention the bolded in my original post ...but it was getting too verbose for my liking...so I cut out some stuff.

I think Ifeajuna and Banjo were still having ideas of achieving their goals from January 66 though...which is why I doubt they were planning to surrender to Gowon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by fuke(m): 8:22am On May 09, 2019
Babatundecash:
I need someone to Tell me why Ojukwu Led His Biafra army to South west...What was Ojukwu Purpose of leaving His Biafra Territory to the Yoruba Land?....Was He planning to capture and Enslave the Yoruba's or what?....I just need answers to the questions and no sentiment should be attach.

Go read this https://naijabizideas.com/why-i-so-much-love-nnamdi-kanu/
and this https://naijabizideas.com/awolowo-yorubas-and-igbo-hatred/
and this https://naijabizideas.com/yorubas-bravery-is-written-in-ink-not-pencil/
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by shadeyinka(m): 8:25am On May 09, 2019
MorufuAtanda:

And what was the wisest move? To sit in his land and keep getting pummelled by Gowon's bombs?
He wasn't too prepared for the war. He was low in arms and ammunition.

Ojukwu should have gone for a guerilla tactics . Wear out the federal forces in a 10 year plus war. But he opted for the conventional warfare: we know the history.
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by shadeyinka(m): 8:30am On May 09, 2019
tactius:

Thanks, I wanted to mention the bolded in my original post ...but it was getting too verbose for my liking...so I cut out some stuff.

I think Ifeajuna and Banjo were still having ideas of achieving their goals from January 66 though...which is why I doubt they were planning to surrender to Gowon.
I don't think so!
A coup is not feasible during a war.

Banjo especially wouldn't have wanted a bloody war against Yorubaland. I honestly do not think that Banjo betrayed Biafra. But he was a convenient scapegoat for an assault gone wrong.

If you were Banjo, I wander what options you'll have.

1 Like

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by eazriel09: 8:30am On May 09, 2019
olalat:
you travelled through ore from Abuja enroute Lagos! Na you gan gan follow isrealites do waka ooo.

They will probably link ore from akure and Akure to Lagos through Ondo-Ore road ore is faster than passing through Ibadan-Ilesha road
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Alexis11: 8:35am On May 09, 2019
franchasng:
Lagos was the capital of Nigeria then.

[s]Back then, and even now, once you capture a country's capital, and take over the seat of their power, you have won the war, the country will surrender and demand for peace or negotiation to end the war and agree to your terms.

Ojukwu knew Biafra was not prepared for war, so when Gowon the then Head of State of Nigeria declared war on Biafra in what he called Police Action to return Biafra back to Nigeria after Ojukwu declared that Eastern Nigeria is now on their own and to be known as Biafra, Ojukwu moved all Biafran brave soldiers and commandos towards Lagos, with the intention of capturing Lagos so Gowon could run away and demand for seize fire and allow Biafra to go.

So Ojukwu's intention to capture Lagos was to end the war fast before Nigerian foreign allies (Britain, Egypt, etc) came on board and used air raids, superior firepower and heavy air bombardment and military backup to dislodge Biafran soldiers from capturing Lagos. Biafran soldiers were already to Sagamu when they stopped advancing towards Lagos when the Biafran Military commander instructed them to stop advancement until further instruction, which gave Nigerian army time to regroup and confront Biafran soldiers and pushed them back to Ore.

It was never meant to take over Southwest, but to end the war fast and save Biafra the load of engaging in a long civil war without a former national army or economy structure.

Hope u understand better now[/s]

How did Ojukwu intend doing this without sacrificing millions of Yoruba women and Children on the way to Lagos for his inordinate ambition

You know the hundreds of Yoruba towns and villages before you get to Lagos

You people think everyone is as daft as you lots. cool

1 Like

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by franchasng: 8:36am On May 09, 2019
Lovelife433:
how can biafra soldiers win the war when they have no supply of food and weapon? That animal call Ojukwu is wicked, he will not rest in peace for all the innocent life he wasted. How can u go into war without proper planning?
Ojukwu never declared war on Nigeria, pls read history books by foreign historians who are not bias.

What led to the declaration of Biafra by Ojukwu was the 1966 pogrom (google 1966 pogrom and read).

Northerners (Hausa-Fulanis, Middlebelt, Idoma, etc) just started killing Igbo people living in the north for no reason. What was their reason That Nzeogwu and other soldiers killed northern politicians in a military coup, so immediately they succeeded in killing Aguiyi Ironsi the Head of State from Igbo, they saw it as an opportunity to wipe out all Igbos by killing all Igbos living in the north.

The then Head of State, Gowon couldn't do anything to stop the killing of Igbos happening in all northern states, Ojukwu being the Governor of Eastern Nigeria wrote Gowon severally to do something and stop the massacre of Igbo people in the north but Gowon did nothing to the extent Nigerian soldiers from the north joined civilian northerners in the killing of Igbos living in the north.

Ojukwu summoned an emergency meeting of all stakeholders in Eastern Nigeria which included Niger Delta of today, the meeting was held at UNN Nsukka and they agreed that since Gowon refused to stop killing of Igbos in Nigeria, that we cannot continue to remain one nation, that they need their own nation to be safe, so they permitted Ojukwu to declare secession of Eastern Nigeria from Nigeria, and it was called Biafra.

Ojukwu made the declaration. Negotiations began, they went to Aburi in Ghana for peace talks.

They had agreement to stop any military action, and Gowon agreed to some of Ojukwu's demands for Biafra to return to Nigeria.

Ojukwu's demands then was more of making Nigeria a nation comprising independent regions with each region having their own autonomy but under the same nation Nigeria, Gowon agreed to Aburi Accord.

On return to Nigeria, British government instructed Gowon to reject the Aburi Accord, reason: Britain wanted total control of Eastern Nigeria's newly found crude oil, and they don't want their Commonwealth nation idea to die, because once Nigeria breaks up, every other African nation they colonized will also want to break up. They told Northern politicians and traditional/religious leaders the implication of accepting Aburi Accord, so they instructed Gowon to return Biafra back to Nigeria at all cost.

Gowon then declared Police Action to return Biafra (Eastern Nigeria) back to Nigeria, and Nigerian army mobilized and attacked Biafra from Cross River state side where they shot the first bullets and Ojukwu quickly organized Biafra to form emergency Biafran soldiers, some didn't even had gun, they were known as Biafran commandos and that was how the war started.

So stop saying Ojukwu started war, he didn't. He was like the leader of Eastern Nigeria then and he did what he did to save Igbos and other non-Igbos.

Pls note that Adaka Boro from Rivers or so refused to join Biafra saying when he made his own move to form Niger Delta nation, that Igbo man Aguiyi Ironsi stopped him, so he and Rivers people joined Nigeria to fight against Biafra

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Kaa4(m): 8:41am On May 09, 2019
mosho2good:
One of the greatest lessons of life could be found in the Champions League Match between Liverpool and Barcelona of yesterday.

After the first leg, majority of people and football pundits (myself inclusive) easily predicted that Liverpool could win the second leg but would not qualify to the final, but the world and football is always full of surprises and that was what the world witnessed yesterday.

*Five Bitter Lessons from the Match*

1). No matter the odd that is staked against you, *never give up*.
Ask Salah why did he put on a shirt with the inscription *"Never Give Up"* even when his team was down by 3 goals from first leg, yet he went to the stadium with faith and hope.

2). Pride goes before a fall, ask Messi who had a clear chance to score to make it one-one but decided to entertain the crowd by dribbling away from goal, thereby losing the one glorious chance that would have been vital to their survival.

3) Never underrate your opponent, no matter how bruised he or she might have been. Barcelona believed that without Salah and Firmino, Liverpool do not have the required firepower to stage a surprise, but the remaining boys proved them wrong.

4). In the moment of battle, never attack half way or reserve your best for the opportune time as this might become a disaster to you.

5).The opinion of others don't count what counts is what you believe in. Liverpool believed that they can never walk alone, and they showed the world the stuff they are made off.
You see, life is never favourable to anyone, you just get to get up and tell yourself daily, I am gonna make it. Just as Aary Stark told the Woman of Light in the *_Game of Thrones_* when she was asked what would she tell the _god of death_, she replied *Not Today*. Liverpool told the world and those who wrote them off...NOT TODAY. so when failure comes knocking on your door reply like the Liverpool players and Aary Stark.. NOT TODAY.
You are formed for something great, so rise up and defeat whoever stands on your way

These are the best lessons from the match, and even for a victorious life. I am copying an pasting these wise sayings on my backdoor this morning. Thank you. I did not watch the matches though!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by franchasng: 8:44am On May 09, 2019
Alexis11:

How did Ojukwu intend doing this without sacrificing millions of Yoruba women and Children on the way to Lagos for his inordinate ambition

You know the hundreds of Yoruba towns and villages before you get to Lagos

You people think everyone is as daft as you lots. cool
They didn't fire shots or kill Yorubas, go and ask.

One of the Biafran army commanders that led the Midwest attack was a Yoruba man called Banjo.

Banjo couldn't allow such to happen. They didn't even witness much resistance because Nigerian soldiers were scared of them; they were so bloody then.

All those Nzeogwu army crew were bloody and dangerous even Gowon and all Northern soldiers dreaded them, go make findings.

1 Like

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by danwa25(m): 8:52am On May 09, 2019
pressy011:
Ore: From theatre of war to industrial hub

Ore, the headquarters of Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State, gained its prominence during the Nigerian Civil War. It was the place where Nigerian soldiers stopped advancing Biafran army. But the town has now become the industrial hub of the Sunshine state. What is the name of the ethanol factory

Although the town has been in existence before 1967, Ore in Odigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State gained its prominence during the Nigerian civil war when Biafra and Nigerian Armies battled for control of the town.

During the war, the Biafra Army led by Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu had conquered the Midwest states and was on its way to capture Lagos when the Nigerian Army mobilised and confronted the ravaging Biafra Army in what is popularly called the battle of Ore. It is known in Yoruba parlance as ‘Ija Ore’

Ore was the town where the final battle for the soul of Nigeria was fought and won. The Biafra Army who could not withstand the firepower of Nigerian Army surrendered and the war ended in 1970.

It must be noted that the centrality of the town made it the gateway between Southwest, Southeast and South-South geo-political zones. Also, it links the Ondo Central senatorial district to the South Senatorial districts in Ondo State. For travellers going to the South-South/ Southeast from Lagos, Ore is the stop-over point where they eat, drink and get refreshed before proceeding on their long journey to the Eastern part of the country.

Being a gateway town, many industrialists have made a move to establish one company or the other in the town. Being a town at the centre, getting raw materials from the hinterland and market in Lagos has now made the town a business hub.

The Federal Government, who knew the importance of the town, started an Independent Power Plant (IPP) some few years ago. The immediate past government also set up an IPP in order to distribute electricity to companies who may want to establish in the corridor.

All the governments in the state had one way or the other tried to woo investors to Ore, as the gateway town between the West and Eastern States. The efforts did not yield the desired result until two years ago when a Chinese Company moved to the town to establish five companies in a row.

The investment drive which began by Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu has started to pay off as no fewer than five new companies have settled and ready to begin operations in the Ore Industrial hub.

Before this investment drive, the Sunshine State was often described as an agrarian state, or at best, a civil service state. All governorship candidates of political parties have always promised to change the narratives of the state from civil or agrarian state to industrialized state.

The last time deliberate and genuine efforts were made to industrialize the state was during the administration of the first civilian governor, Chief Adekunle Ajasin, between 1979 and 1984. The Oluwa Glass Company and the Okitipupa Oil Palm were the pride of the state at the time. But four decades after, the sites of the companies are overgrown with weeds. This was because the government was owner of these companies and they died with the initiators as the subsequent governments said ‘government has no business in businesses

Even the cocoa plantations which gave the state its logo was no longer attractive to younger generations who opted for white collar jobs. The once beautiful and buoyant state became a shadow of its former self. It now depends on paltry monthly allocations from the Federal Government, almost three-quarter of which goes into payment of salary of the state workforce.

The determination of Akeredolu has given room for a fresh of hope for the state, as it joins the elite club of industrialised states in the nation. Already, five companies – a paper mill, ethanol plant, medium density fiberboard, high-density fiberboard, plywood, and a textile company have sprouted from the mustard seed that was planted when the state signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Linyi municipal government of Shandong province of people Republic of China.

Determined to ensure a solid economic base for the state, the Governor had embarked on an investment tour to China in June 2017. That tour has given birth to what is now known as the Ore Industrial Park.

It will be recalled that he had earlier flagged-off the 10,000 hectares ODSG /Wewood afforestation project, where Gmelina arborea have been planted on 1,500 of the 10,000 hectares. The industrial revolution in the state has taken a very strong foothold with the ethanol plant at about ninety-five percent completed and set to roll. According to the Business Development Manager of Wewood Limited, Mr. Sun Peng, a special specie of cassava are being planted in – between the Gmelina which will be used to feed the ethanol plant.

Speaking with reporters at the site of the company in Ore, Sun Peng said the ethanol factory is almost ready, with works at ninety-five percent completed. His words “We are expected to begin test-running of the machines before the end of April,” Already, about 1,000 people have been employed for the ethanol factory for direct jobs. The plant is also expected to provide jobs for more than 10,000 people, particularly cassava farmers and traders.

Local farmers are excited about a ready and lucrative market for their goods. Shehu Oladapo, a cassava farmer in Odigbo Local Government area of the state, was full of praise for the governor. Oladapo said “I thank Governor Akeredolu for this initiative. Farmers like me now have a ready market for our cassava. It has encouraged us to increase the number of hectares that we will prepare to grow cassava for the next harvest season.”

The WinWin Textile factory located inside the park commenced production of textile thread a few months ago. With 300 workers already employed, WinWin Textile has helped to ease the problem of unemployment on the people, especially the locals, who for the first time have found a worthwhile venture outside the civil service.

According to Ahmed Adeyinka, the Nigerian Manager of WinWin Textile said the textile is presently producing polyester sewing thread. He said the factory will move to the next stage of producing textile materials like lace and Ankara among others. His words, “Presently, we have 300 people working for us. We now produce all kinds of sewing polyester thread for the local market. In a couple of months from now, the factory will begin to run at full capacity with the production of textile materials of all kinds.”

The Weewood Plywood/HDF factory is already bubbling with life. Young men and women, who would have been roaming the streets, are busy with one task or the other. The company’s products, high-quality fiberboard plywood are already in high demand in local markets across the state, while the state is being positioned to earn foreign currency through the export of the product.

A short distance away, the expatriates are screwing the nuts and putting finishing touches to the giant paper mill factory. According to Jack Sun, Business Development Manager for Weewood, the factory is now about eighty percent completed. On completion, the paper mill is expected to employ more than 3000 direct staff, while many more are expected to benefit from jobs created down the value chain.

The paper mill, like other factories in the Ore Park, is structured to create more indirect jobs for the locals. For example, long before the machines for the mill began to arrive the shores of the country, Weewood commenced preparations by planting the trees that will form the primary raw materials for the mill.

Today, the almost 10,000 hectares of land allocated for the /Wewood afforestation project by Gov. Akeredolu is beginning to yield the expected result, as the trees continue to grow into maturity.

An elated worker in one of the factories said “The governor deserves commendation for this initiative. This is a win-win situation for Ondo State and its people. The company will employ our people on the farm to plant the trees, it will go on to employ our people in the factory and other auxiliary jobs that would be created.”

At the ethanol project, it was observed that farmers, businessmen, and women are already reaping from the indirect jobs created by the ethanol plant. Inside the ethanol factory’s warehouse, several thousands of bags of dried cassava are waiting to bed into the machines, while more than 10 trailer-load of cassava are waiting to off-load several other bags of cassava.

The Ore Industrial Park is fashioned after that of Linyi municipal government of Shandong province in China. Investors under Shandong group have made good their promise to make Ondo State a model for a one-stop industrial park in the country.

And if the experience of the Linyi’s economy, which is based around its wholesale markets and an annual trade volume of 40 billion RMB (~US$5 billion), is anything to go by, the state government has set sure set a standard by which governance would be measured in the country.

1 Like

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by chinedu234(m): 9:03am On May 09, 2019
This is government propaganda aimed at cheap political points. The test of the pudding remains in the eating. I am not surprised no mention was made of the required infrastructure to make the businesses competitive because Nigeria's government whether federal,state or local are about white elephant projects. Am sure the Chinese know what they are doing just like in the recently reported Wempco case.

2 Likes

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by koladebrainiac(m): 9:20am On May 09, 2019
wonder why ojukwu wanted to invade lagos throughh ore..dumb
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by YemiFresh: 9:26am On May 09, 2019
NNEWIsuper:
ore is just a small village I deposit my faeces while traveling from the east to Lagos
Mshwww!

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by olalat(m): 9:48am On May 09, 2019
eazriel09:

They will probably link ore from akure and Akure to Lagos through Ondo-Ore road ore is faster than passing through Ibadan-Ilesha road
ohhh!! You might be right anyway.
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Israel101: 10:37am On May 09, 2019
Need an in home tutor for your kid(s)? Contact us at Springhomes tutors. 08136589956

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Melody25: 11:04am On May 09, 2019
quote author=Babatundecash post=78229983]I need someone to Tell me why Ojukwu Led His Biafra army to South west...What was Ojukwu Purpose of leaving His Biafra Territory to the Yoruba Land?....Was He planning to capture and Enslave the Yoruba's or what?....I just need answers to the questions and no sentiment should be attach.[/quote

He was on his way to confirm the prison and a failed state you are in today.
Polygamy is relay a problem and children of polygamy are children of hate and tribalism.
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Lovelife433(m): 11:17am On May 09, 2019
franchasng:
Ojukwu never declared war on Nigeria, pls read history books by foreign historians who are not bias.

What led to the declaration of Biafra by Ojukwu was the 1966 pogrom (google 1966 pogrom and read).

Northerners (Hausa-Fulanis, Middlebelt, Idoma, etc) just started killing Igbo people living in the north for no reason. What was their reason That Nzeogwu and other soldiers killed northern politicians in a military coup, so immediately they succeeded in killing Aguiyi Ironsi the Head of State from Igbo, they saw it as an opportunity to wipe out all Igbos by killing all Igbos living in the north.

The then Head of State, Gowon couldn't do anything to stop the killing of Igbos happening in all northern states, Ojukwu being the Governor of Eastern Nigeria wrote Gowon severally to do something and stop the massacre of Igbo people in the north but Gowon did nothing to the extent Nigerian soldiers from the north joined civilian northerners in the killing of Igbos living in the north.

Ojukwu summoned an emergency meeting of all stakeholders in Eastern Nigeria which included Niger Delta of today, the meeting was held at UNN Nsukka and they agreed that since Gowon refused to stop killing of Igbos in Nigeria, that we cannot continue to remain one nation, that they need their own nation to be safe, so they permitted Ojukwu to declare secession of Eastern Nigeria from Nigeria, and it was called Biafra.

Ojukwu made the declaration. Negotiations began, they went to Aburi in Ghana for peace talks.

They had agreement to stop any military action, and Gowon agreed to some of Ojukwu's demands for Biafra to return to Nigeria.

Ojukwu's demands then was more of making Nigeria a nation comprising independent regions with each region having their own autonomy but under the same nation Nigeria, Gowon agreed to Aburi Accord.

On return to Nigeria, British government instructed Gowon to reject the Aburi Accord, reason: Britain wanted total control of Eastern Nigeria's newly found crude oil, and they don't want their Commonwealth nation idea to die, because once Nigeria breaks up, every other African nation they colonized will also want to break up. They told Northern politicians and traditional/religious leaders the implication of accepting Aburi Accord, so they instructed Gowon to return Biafra back to Nigeria at all cost.

Gowon then declared Police Action to return Biafra (Eastern Nigeria) back to Nigeria, and Nigerian army mobilized and attacked Biafra from Cross River state side where they shot the first bullets and Ojukwu quickly organized Biafra to form emergency Biafran soldiers, some didn't even had gun, they were known as Biafran commandos and that was how the war started.

So stop saying Ojukwu started war, he didn't. He was like the leader of Eastern Nigeria then and he did what he did to save Igbos and other non-Igbos.

Pls note that Adaka Boro from Rivers or so refused to join Biafra saying when he made his own move to form Niger Delta nation, that Igbo man Aguiyi Ironsi stopped him, so he and Rivers people joined Nigeria to fight against Biafra
thanks for this bro. indeed it is good to have knowledge of history.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by legba1(m): 11:29am On May 09, 2019
Babatundecash:
I need someone to Tell me why Ojukwu Led His Biafra army to South west...What was Ojukwu Purpose of leaving His Biafra Territory to the Yoruba Land?....Was He planning to capture and Enslave the Yoruba's or what?....I just need answers to the questions and no sentiment should be attach.

the idea was to come capture General Gowon...d then head of government....
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Oludon20: 12:03pm On May 09, 2019
Ore is actually where Ojukwu betrayed the struggle and lost the war. The war was not only about Biafra as We were made to believe,another group of Nigerian Soldiers who were not happy with the way things were going like Col Victor Banjo and Major Adewale Ademoyega were with Ojukwu to liberate Nigerians and remove Gowon from office. Ademoyega who was in prison in Warri was released by Ojukwu to gather and train men in Benin. Ojukwu supplied Men and Ammunition and the man was able to train and mobilize the men and they were able to push Nigerian Army to Ore with plans to advance Ibadan/Lagos unfortunately they did not have enough men to advance to Ibadan and still hold Ore. They requested for more men and Amonition from Ojukwu who could not maybe due to inadequate men I don’t know,but he did not send the required men. Had they advanced to Ibadan when they wanted they could have been successful and since they did not, they were just sitting Ducks till Nigeria was able to get help from Europe and later took Ore back with Higher fire power. If they advanced to Ibadan without anyone holding Ore for them,the Nigerian Army could have cornered Ore while they were deep in Ibadan and they would all be dead. When Nigeria got the assistance she needed they took Ore they continued to push the Rebels back till the war was lost and won. The entire war was lost in Ore because the fall of Ore gave the Nigerian army the opportunity to penetrate Biafra. This was taken from Major Ademoyegas’ book WHY WE STRUCK. He was also one of the 3 people behind the very first Coup alongside Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna.
Babatundecash:
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Xisnin(m): 12:34pm On May 09, 2019
martineverest:
one of the greediest cities in Nigeria...they take advantages of people by increasing the cost of goood cos most people travelling got no choice
Stop lying.
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Nobody: 12:56pm On May 09, 2019
Xisnin:

Stop lying.

It's true. Things (especially food) are much more expensive at the rest stops than even Lagos. The vendors have some kind of arrangement with drivers to always check in and make all the passengers get down (to discourage theft inside the bus, that's the excuse they give).
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by DEBJOCH1(m): 1:46pm On May 09, 2019
Racoon:
I remembered Ore Town during my undergraduate days
Whenever I arrive here from Abuja or the East, Lagos seems more closer to me than ever. cheesy
. You mean you arrived Ore from Abuja? what a backward journey indeed you had embarked on. Nigeria started arriving at Ore from Abuja since the IBB regime, no wonder Nigeria has refused to progress since then till now.
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by DEBJOCH1(m): 1:56pm On May 09, 2019
Babatundecash:
. Reason was because the Nigeria army knew little or nothing about Ore route (axis), and all the Nigeria Army concentration was only based on penetrating the East through Enugu 9th mile, Obolo Afo - Makordi axis. If not for the betrayal which the Baifrans got from the westerners, Biafran would have consumed the North via Ore route. That's why till now, Dim Chukwu Emeka Odimegwu Ojukwu will still remain a hero, cos he full of intelligent.

1 Like

Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by tsdarkside(m): 3:11pm On May 09, 2019
LazyGold:

He wanted to capture Lagos

i suspect,ojukwu wanted much more than we think today....dont forget,ojukwu is the generation after hitler,stalin,mussolini and mao....

listen to his audio records from back then and understand....
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by tsdarkside(m): 3:16pm On May 09, 2019
i suspect,ojukwu was thinkin far beyond biafra....

more continental....

maybe even the world itself....

if anybody bother to study ojukwu,you will notice similarities with other world leaders around the 2 world war....
Re: Ore: From Theatre Of War To Industrial Hub by Kfed4ril(m): 3:36pm On May 09, 2019
Babatundecash:

Lagos was the capital then, I think.

If he succeeded in shutting down Lagos he would have succeeded in shutting down Nigeria as a whole.
Shey you don watch Olympus has fallen where the terrorist went straight to capture the White House.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Orji Kalu, Mascot Kalu, Anyaso, Others Grace Alex Ikwechegh's Get-together (pix) / Appeal Court Declares Senator Ogba Ebonyi PDP Gov Candidate / What I Went Through For Believing We Could Defeat PDP – TINUBU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.