Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:14 PM

F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status (4081 Views)

Breaking: Buhari Orders Upgrade Of Imo Airport To International Status / NCAA: No going back on Enugu airport International Status / Enugu Airport Undergoes Upgrade For International Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Freewilly(f): 3:17am On Sep 28, 2010
udezue:

Good for Enugu. I can't wait to land in Enugu from US. 042!!!!

Onitsha International Airport? If the HWYs are fixed upgraded u can make it to Enugu in less than 30 minutes to catch your flight. What Onitsha needs is a SeaPort. Asaba already has an Airport and its next door to Onitsha.

A seaport in Onitsha would be nice, but the cost to build one would be so high that an airport would make more sense. The Niger bridge has to come down and a higher bridge build so ships and pass under, then the river has to be dredged, I don't think Nigerian Government would want to invest so much in Onitsha.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by DisGuy: 3:44am On Sep 28, 2010
All these weird stories sef!!

30 nov 2009

Lagos — The Minister of Aviation, Mr. Babatunde Omotoba, will today flag off the rehabilitation and upgrade of the Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu, Enugu State.

The airport, which was closed temporarily on Saturday for repairs, will be closed to traffic by January next year and airlines that operate to the airport will start using Sam Mbakwe Airport, Owerri, Imo State, as an alternative.

THISDAY learnt that the runway, which is 2,400 meters long, will be extended by 600 metres to make it 3000 meters or three kilometres and the width would be extended from the existing 45 metres to 60 metres.

When completed, it is expected that the runway would be wide enough to accommodate wide-body aircraft.

It is also expected that with its new status as an international airport, the airport would in future be designated for international operations.

The General Manager, Public Affairs of the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Mr. Akin Olukunle, told THISDAY that the runway rehabilitation and extension contract was awarded to PW Limited and it is expected to be completed in 12 months from the day work starts on the project.

The cost of the project, which is N4.13 billion, was approved by Federal Executive Council (FEC) and would include extension and asphalting and marking of the runway.

According to him, this is part of the restructuring programme being embarked by the Ministry of Aviation and FAAN for the total rehabilitation of airport facilities in the country.

Last year, the Yar'Adua Administration upgraded the Enugu airport to international status in tandem with the new policy of having at least one international airport in every geopolitical zone of the country.

May 2010

THE Federal Government on Friday reiterated its commitment to upgrading the Akanu Ibiam Airport in Enugu.

The Minister of Aviation, Mrs Fidelia Njeze, who said this in Enugu while inspecting work on the runway, said government would declare the airport an international one in 2011.

”Akanu Ibiam Airport has not been declared an international airport, but I am giving you a firm assurance that the present administration is working toward doing that before the end of its tenure,” she said.

The minister, however, expressed satisfaction with the progress and quality of work being done at the airport.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria, she expressed the hope that the job would be completed by October.

Njeze also said that government would review the cost of the project in order to accommodate the major challenges hindering the job. campaign money?

She announced that a befitting terminal would be built at the airport.

STOP POSTING OLD NEWS FOR US jare, next we hear money has been released for this project again, somthing that was started ages ago
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by mensdept: 1:13am On Oct 15, 2010
What is the latest on the Ibiam airport?
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Mobile11: 9:41am On Jun 23, 2012
The enugu airport is closed. If you want to know go the site and see for yourself. Kano started after it and it is has recorded success. But the question is why do they CLOSE it.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Mobile11: 9:53am On Jun 23, 2012
See the way they marginalise the igbos in nigeria by closing the airport and wasting time on reconstruction. Why why why . We need BIAFRA as the help now or is it selfishness that cause this.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by ODB1: 10:01am On Jun 23, 2012
Freewilly: That's just the kind of news I love to hear, by the grace of God we can fly directly home with out having to go through that filthy Lagos.

by far the most scaring and dangerous airport in the history of aviation.
Armed robbers are either waiting to track you to your destination after landing or robbing the forex black market.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by ODB1: 10:02am On Jun 23, 2012
Mobile 1: See the way they marginalise the igbos in nigeria by closing the airport and wasting time on reconstruction. Why why why . We need BIAFRA as the help now or is it selfishness that cause this.
what in God's name are you on about?
The upgrade is meant to make the airport an international one not marginalize anybody
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by PROUDIGBO(m): 10:52am On Jun 23, 2012
O.D.B.:

by far the most scaring and dangerous airport in the history of aviation.
Armed robbers are either waiting to track you to your destination after landing or robbing the forex black market.

^^^ODB, can you throw more light on your bolded assertion above? You've heard of stories of this happening or you're saying it based on what you THINK may happen?

You do know armed robbery is a nationwide problem, and that stories of new arrivals being trailed and robbed aboud even in Lagos? So i'd like to know if you have any special reason for mentioning Akanu Ibiam Airport in particular.

Thanks!

PS- and close to two years after its status had been upgraded, and after numerous shut-downs for renovations and upgrades, i think it's safe to say Akanu Ibiam is an Int'l Airport on paper only. The fact the Enugu State Gov't; other South East Governors; Igbo Industrialists and Businessmen; Igbo sons and daughters holding elected/appointed positions at the federal level, the fact all these individuals are carrying on like this is not number one priority for now is a [b]BLOODY DISGRACE!!! [/b]Let us continue to wait for a Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, Ijaw, or someone from any other ethnic group to come and do what we ought to do ourselves. Nonsense!
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by ODB1: 2:18pm On Jun 23, 2012
I was speaking of MMA
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 8:34pm On Jun 23, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^ODB, can you throw more light on your bolded assertion above? You've heard of stories of this happening or you're saying it based on what you THINK may happen?

You do know armed robbery is a nationwide problem, and that stories of new arrivals being trailed and robbed aboud even in Lagos? So i'd like to know if you have any special reason for mentioning Akanu Ibiam Airport in particular.

Thanks!

PS- and close to two years after its status had been upgraded, and after numerous shut-downs for renovations and upgrades, i think it's safe to say Akanu Ibiam is an Int'l Airport on paper only. The fact the Enugu State Gov't; other South East Governors; Igbo Industrialists and Businessmen; Igbo sons and daughters holding elected/appointed positions at the federal level, the fact all these individuals are carrying on like this is not number one priority for now is a [b]BLOODY DISGRACE!!! [/b]Let us continue to wait for a Yoruba, Hausa/Fulani, Ijaw, or someone from any other ethnic group to come and do what we ought to do ourselves. Nonsense!

My brother that airport is telling me in no uncertain terms how our people think; I mean our politicians.
Either they are all cowards or they are just dimwitted. SMH.
The fact that SE lacks a fully functioning International Airport speaks volumes!
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:13pm On Jun 23, 2012
Onlytruth:

My brother that airport is telling me in no uncertain terms how our people think; I mean our politicians.
Either they are all cowards or they are just dimwitted. SMH.
The fact that SE lacks a fully functioning International Airport speaks volumes!

^^^Bruh, i think it's b'cos the ones elected/appointed mainly got to their present positions through man-know-man, rigging, and being rewarded for party loyalty. Rochas of Imo state is one of the few people i still have a bit of faith in as you can see he has the 'fire-in-the-belly' and vision to get things done....all he needs is the kind of budget to match his ambitions, and he could take Imo places.

I used to feel the same way about Chime of Enugu state, but the dude seems to have fallen asleep in his second term: Enugu city is looking unkempt and not as clean as it was during his first two years in office; you don't hear of any new projects being planned/launched; no talk of new investors/investments in any sector/field since Polo Park mall; and he should be the one to champion the full utilization of Enugu airports int'l status. Let me not hear anyone mention Chime and 2015 in the same sentence angry.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:15pm On Jun 23, 2012
O.D.B.:
I was speaking of MMA

^^^Oh! Ok.....thanks for the clarification.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 9:58pm On Jun 23, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

^^^Bruh, i think it's b'cos the ones elected/appointed mainly got to their present positions through man-know-man, rigging, and being rewarded for party loyalty. Rochas of Imo state is one of the few people i still have a bit of faith in as you can see he has the 'fire-in-the-belly' and vision to get things done....all he needs is the kind of budget to match his ambitions, and he could take Imo places.

I used to feel the same way about Chime of Enugu state, but the dude seems to have fallen asleep in his second term: Enugu city is looking unkempt and not as clean as it was during his first two years in office; you don't hear of any new projects being planned/launched; no talk of new investors/investments in any sector/field since Polo Park mall; and he should be the one to champion the full utilization of Enugu airports int'l status. Let me not hear anyone mention Chime and 2015 in the same sentence angry.

My brother, you touched key points! I also think that they need COURAGE.
I have an email from Oby Ezekwesiri which I will share with my council members about what she did when she was there, and I know that only her type could do something. She pursues truth and justice and does so fearlessly.
Our reps and politicians are thieves and cowards.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 10:00pm On Jun 23, 2012
Only the Ezekwesiri and Akunyilis of Igboland would stare down the devil to give us those airports because it is only fair. I can't believe that our woman are more courageous than our men, except that I remember the great Ikemba, and others before us, including some of us here. cool
The cowards we have representing us MUST LEAVE.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 10:03pm On Jun 23, 2012
I am still watching Rochas to assess his COURAGE. We are a deprived tribe in Nigeria. We should not be p00sy-footing around. We are the aggrieved party. We should be angry and get what we want. Period. cool
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 10:13pm On Jun 23, 2012
mens dept:

Well it's not less than that of Owerri nor Kano, and is older than both of them. The minister is correct by saying that the Enugu Airport is the 4th busiest airport in the nation. Lagos airport is busiest, followed by Abuja, and then PHC. Lagos and Abuja have significant International and Domestic operations, where as PHC has a significant domestic figure. Afterwards, Enugu's domestic traffic follows.

Furthermore, the minister's speech is all POLITICS.

OBJ said the same dammm thang as far back as 1999, and again in 2003. Even Ken Nnamani as senate President revealed this info during his boring tenure. Its as if Enugu aiport has been approved 6 times to be an "INTERNATIONAL" airport, yet no KLM, Air France, nor South African Air has landed or contract been negotiated.

Until those from that state or region have a serious mechanism to follow thru with the looooong wait for the airport to actually join the world ranks of JFK and MMIA, then it's a wait and see game.

[size=14pt]No city/region can be considered world class without an international airport[/size]

Spot on. cool
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by nduchucks: 10:49pm On Jun 23, 2012
mens dept:
No city/region can be considered world class without an international airport

There is a different between airports who can handle big airplanes such as a 747 and others used for international travels, and true international airports.

I agree that you need an airport that can handle the kinds of planes I mentioned in Enugu, but I am not sure that you can make a business case for locating a true international airport in Enugu.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 10:56pm On Jun 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

There is a different between airports who can handle big airplanes such as a 747 and others used for international travels, and true international airports.

I agree that you need an airport that can handle the kinds of planes I mentioned in Enugu, but I am not sure that you can make a business case for locating a true international airport in Enugu.

Okay, what of Onitsha or Owerri(to serve Aba, Onitsha and Nnewi)? I know you would argue that Enugu is a "civil servant city". Is Kano airport busier than Enugu? Your hypocrisy is getting too much.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by nduchucks: 11:03pm On Jun 23, 2012
Onlytruth:

Okay, what of Onitsha or Owerri(to serve Aba, Onitsha and Nnewi)? I know you would argue that Enugu is a "civil servant city". Is Kano airport busier than Enugu? Your hypocrisy is getting too much.

Can you make the business case for loacting an international airport in any of those places? There is nothing wrong with having airports which can handle 747 e.t.c, but I'm yet to see a viable business case for locating a profit making airport in any of those towns. Do you know of any business research or feasibility studies to support your case?
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 11:33pm On Jun 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Can you make the business case for loacting an international airport in any of those places? There is nothing wrong with having airports which can handle 747 e.t.c, but I'm yet to see a viable business case for locating a profit making airport in any of those towns. Do you know of any business research or feasibility studies to support your case?

What feasibility study was conducted before making Kano an international airport, though statistics show that Enugu is the busier airport?
Is Kano a busier business city than Onitsha?
If you are honest, you would answer fairly.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by nduchucks: 11:42pm On Jun 23, 2012
Onlytruth:

What feasibility study was conducted before making Kano an international airport, though statistics show that Enugu is the busier airport?

If you are ignorant and do not have an answer to my questions, then say so. Stop trying to join unrelated issues. The issue here is not about Kano or Lagos, olodo.

It is prudent to support your case with facts and cogent marketing research since noboby will build you an international airport simply because you want one. The least you should be willing to do is support your interests with verifiable facts. Have you seen any feasibility study or financial justification report which supports locating an international airport in those towns?
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:46pm On Jun 23, 2012
Onlytruth:

^^^Besides, if the SE governors had an intergrated development plan, you could have a rail network linking nearby bustling cities like Owerri, Onitsha, Nnewi and Aba; also with extended connections to Calabar, Uyo and Makurdi. If this happens, and with rapid developments in the areas of power supply and a good road network, you would not even need to bother making a 'business case' as Ndu_chucks suggested since the enabling environment and good business prospects would to sell the airport on its own. Enugu would be a 'hub' for the entire south east, and parts of the middle belt and south south.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 11:48pm On Jun 23, 2012
ndu_chucks:

If you are ignorant and do not have an answer to my questions, then say so. Stop trying to join unrelated issues. The issue here is not about Kano or Lagos, olodo.

It is prudent to support your case with facts and cogent marketing research since noboby will build you an international airport simply because you want one. The least you should be willing to do is support your interests with verifiable facts. Have you seen any feasibility study or financial justification report which supports locating an international airport in those towns?

Since we are in Nigeria (where only the feds can build it by law per se), and since the federal government of Nigeria treats the whole thing like a zero sum game where only the most qualified (in terms of need or business) gets it, hence Kano got it; why did kano get it ahead of Enugu which handles more air traffic? The federal government funds used to develop Kano airport cannot be used to develop Enugu international, can it?

I'm sorry for being too fast for you. Let me slow down a little. cool
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by nduchucks: 12:08am On Jun 24, 2012
Onlytruth:

Since we are in Nigeria (where only the feds can build it by law per se), and since the federal government of Nigeria treats the whole thing like a zero sum game where only the most qualified (in terms of need or business) gets it, hence Kano got it; why did kano get it ahead of Enugu which handles more air traffic? The federal government funds used to develop Kano airport cannot be used to develop Enugu international, can it?

I'm sorry for being too fast for you. Let me slow down a little. cool

Why don't you stop being lazy and present your case with cogent indisputable research evidence of why we need an international airport in those towns. Armed with good marketing research data, you'd be able to make demands and shame the authorities who continue to ignore you. Even powerful Igbo officials will no longer have an excuse to keep denying you the airport. One thing is certain, no one will build you an international airport simply because you want one.
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by naijaking1: 3:47am On Jun 24, 2012
Onlytruth: Only the Ezekwesiri and Akunyilis of Igboland would stare down the devil to give us those airports because it is only fair. I can't believe that our woman are more courageous than our men, except that I remember the great Ikemba, and others before us, including some of us here. cool
The cowards we have representing us MUST LEAVE.

Don't forget the former min of aviation--Mrs Njaeze. She was one minister we have ever produced who was 100% for the internationalization of the Enugu airport. Unfortunately, she fell victim to the power struggle between Chime and Dep Senate president Ekweremadu who push for the retention of Njaeze for the sole purpose of completting the process. Chime would have none of that!
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by DuduNegro: 4:17am On Jun 24, 2012
The article had a date of 2010, this is 2012! It is good news but I'm curious, what is the current status of the airport and its operations?
Re: F.g. Approves Upgrade Of Akanu Ibiam Airport Enugu To International Status by Onlytruth(m): 6:33am On Jun 24, 2012
naijaking1:

Don't forget the former min of aviation--Mrs Njaeze. She was one minister we have ever produced who was 100% for the internationalization of the Enugu airport. Unfortunately, she fell victim to the power struggle between Chime and Dep Senate president Ekweremadu who push for the retention of Njaeze for the sole purpose of completting the process. Chime would have none of that!

Another reason why I don't like PDP.
Just imagine, Chime could not connect the woman's position with collective Igbo needs/interest. The Chime guy is the least Igbo focused governor I know in SE. If he has any Igbo interest at all, that airport would have been completed since; instead he was busy pulling down a woman that was doing something to give Igboland a direct connection with outside world.
The more I get to know Chime, the more I suspect his intentions. Quote sad. sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria To Be Among 15 Largest Economies By 2050 With GDP Of $4.5 Trillion / Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? / Delta State: N773 Billion Debt. Largest In Nigeria. What Was Done With The Debt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.