Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,125 members, 7,835,772 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) (19656 Views)

Road Leading To A General Hospital Flooded In Lagos / Flooded Owerri, Imo State After Heavy Rainfall (Photos) / Flood Takes Over Houses In Lekki After Heavy Rainfall (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Stillthebest: 10:35am On May 10, 2019
dreh17:
Flood no just start today
Me I’m only concerned about that sars officer that killed that famous dude and was arrested.. me I’m not heard anything again since I last saw his picture in court
Was he sentenced or released we no hear anything again

Last heard case is ongoing and still in cell

2 Likes

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by nigeriantrucks: 10:35am On May 10, 2019
Scary for road users with low CG cars cry
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by TOBACCO19(m): 10:35am On May 10, 2019
This should be attended to by the incoming governor embarassed
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by anonimi: 10:36am On May 10, 2019
wunmi590:
Honestly, this my state is too overrated.

With all the allocation?

Only allocation?
What of IGR?
Why are you forgetting the loans too

2 Likes

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by hush15: 10:38am On May 10, 2019
nzeobi:
Lagos is just an unplanned city despite its resources, a few hours of rainfall floods ikeja the capital like Noah is coming.

it is not unplanned. it is mismanagement of wealth and resource. People still think APC and tinubu is treating lagos fine with their facelifts but Lagos is sufferring more than any state when you consider the resources at its disposal. Some people are just syphoning that fund away and using godfatherism to exploit the people and the land. Deep and honest minds knows lagos is languishing in pain and abject poverty.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Stillthebest: 10:39am On May 10, 2019
Larryallovernig:
In 1990, Shina Peters built a house with N20 million naira; the same year Jim Ovia started Zenith Bank with the same amount.

Today, you and I don't have a room in Shina's house but I have an account in Jim's bank and probably you do too.

Shina's house was built in Iju Lagos and remains there till date.
Jim's bank started in a corner and now has over 500 branches in Nigeria, and many international branches.

Millions upon millions transact business in Jim's bank daily.
Shina's house is becoming dilapidated...in 2015, he SPENT more money to renovate the house and bought a Nissan Pathfinder with N10 million...additional liability, while in the same 2015, Jim's bank MADE a profit of N105.7 billion.

Zenith bank employs hundreds of thousands, and feeds their families.

This is the difference between Assets and Liability. If you buy a car for N20 million today, in 20 years time, you will be ashamed to drive it. On the other hand, if you invest that same amount in a lucrative business or in an asset, It may be worth billions in 20 years. ( Jim Ovia is now worth $980 million dollars, with the official dollar rate of N320, that means he is worth N313 BILLION NAIRA because of an investment of N20 million).

Spend the little money you have today wisely. Some people driving expensive cars today, are not aware that they are driving their future and the future of their children. Some people carrying iphone7 today, may not be aware that they are carrying their future.

When you are young, don't spend money. Invest it.
Every penny in your hand is like a seed, you can decide to eat it, or sow it. When you sow it, it will bear much more seeds later in future.........

Ovia is a banker and shina is a musician with little education. He did what he consider the best with his money likewise Jim. Some used their Own for vacation and on women. Some used theirs for designers and cars. Today Shina lives in his home while Jim also lives. They both are not begging to feed or for medicals. Life will never be the same things for everyone.

6 Likes

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Bridget95(f): 10:41am On May 10, 2019
AkataYeriYeri:
Igbos are so easy to spot on Nairaland these days
Igbo kee you dia
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by dreh17(m): 10:42am On May 10, 2019
Stillthebest:

Last heard case is ongoing and still in cell

I’ve been trying to keep up with the case so it doesn’t get swept under the carpet
The trial should be made public to serve as deterrent to these rogue officers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Shila16: 10:46am On May 10, 2019
Stillthebest:

Ovia is a banker and shina is a musician with little education. He did what he consider the best with his money likewise Jim. Some used their Own for vacation and on women. Some used theirs for designers and cars. Today Shina lives in his home while Jim also lives. They both are not begging to feed or for medicals. Life will never be the same things for everyone.
Words on marble

1 Like

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by dguizman(m): 10:51am On May 10, 2019
Stillthebest:

we know where he is going...God bless you for stating this

1 Like

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Stillthebest: 10:58am On May 10, 2019
gistvicreports:
@Gistvic.com

Cars were seen swimming as road turns to ocean at ogba, Lagos after light rain fall. Gistvic Reports.

Watch Video Below:

Source: https://www.gistvic.com/2019/05/road-turns-to-ocean-as-cars-swim-after.html

This is along excellence hotel down to tanterlizers. I live here and it is always a mess after a slightly heavy rainfall. I believe Lagos govt is working but it is very lil to what the state makes. Fashola said during his stewardship on IGR that average of 2 millions cars pass through thr island toll gate. Let's assume they pay #50 each on average you could imagine what the govt makes on passage of vehicles on the island alone.

What stops the govt from creating diff car parks in all strategic places in Lagos. Go to computer village parking will make you never to drive there. Most houses don't have enough parking spaces, see as cars will park in the streets in the evening after works. Govt can generate money from this.
A lot is wrong in Lagos state likewise Nigeria.
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by BleedTears: 10:59am On May 10, 2019
dreh17:

I’ve been trying to keep up with the case so it doesn’t get swept under the carpet
The trial should be made public to serve as deterrent to these rogue officers
Very funny... You want to keep up with the case so it doesn’t get swept under the carpet. And na Nairaland you dey keep am up? Instead of Police Twitter Handle or better still IG office at Luis Edet House Abuja

1 Like

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 11:08am On May 10, 2019
Yankiss:
Governments should engage town planners and [b]incorporate adequate drainage system before building roads [/b]and houses. This is the result of poor planning.

The Lagos road building code enacted under Fashola mandates covered drainage for most roads.

1 Like

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Nobody: 11:18am On May 10, 2019
Which Kind road be this one?

Check signature below jhor
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 11:26am On May 10, 2019
Stillthebest:

This is along excellence hotel down to tanterlizers. I live here and it is always a mess after a slightly heavy rainfall. I believe Lagos govt is working but it is very lil to what the state makes. Fashola said during his stewardship on IGR that average of 2 millions cars pass through thr island toll gate. Let's assume they pay #50 each on average you could imagine what the govt makes on passage of vehicles on the island alone.

What stops the govt from creating diff car parks in all strategic places in Lagos. Go to computer village parking will make you never to drive there. Most houses don't have enough parking spaces, see as cars will park in the streets in the evening after works. Govt can generate money from this.

In most other places (or at least in advanced Western economies), these sorts of ventures are undertaken by the PRIVATE sector.

Nonetheless, the Lagos state government (in partnership with a private developer) is building at least one multilayered car park on Campbell Street (see rendering and picture below), and has in addition called for interested PRIVATE SECTOR investors with either private lands or proposed government land suitable for the construction of multilayered car parks and auxiliary structures to submit proposals for approval for the construction of the car parks in Ikoyi, Ikeja, Victoria Island, Badore, Ajah, Lekki Phase 1, Ipaja, Yaba, Ikorodu, Mushin, Surulere, Festac Town, and Lagos Island. So, it's over to private companies that can afterall better operate such facilities.

>
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Stillthebest: 11:29am On May 10, 2019
9jaRealist:

In most other places (or at least in advanced Western economies), these sorts of ventures are undertaken by the PRIVATE sector.

Nonetheless, the Lagos state government is building multilayered car park on Campbell Street (see rendering and picture below), and has also called for interested PRIVATE SECTOR investors with either private lands or proposed government land suitable for the construction of multilayer car parks and auxiliary structures to submit proposals for approval for the construction of the car parks in Ikoyi, Ikeja, Victoria Island, Badore, Ajah, Lekki Phase 1, Ipaja, Yaba, Ikorodu, Mushin, Surulere, Festac Town, and Lagos Island. So, it's over to private folks like you and I. wink

>

If this is true then it is a welcome development. I had always wondered
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Emusan(m): 11:31am On May 10, 2019
AkataYeriYeri:

Igbos are so easy to spot on Nairaland these days

I laugh when people like you see criticism as a tribal war...

Yoruba adage says "If two friends enter room and came out laughing, it means they went in to deceive themselves but if they came out with strong face, it means they told themselves the truth."

Isn't Lagos over hype?

This same problem of flood that is combating Lagos was experienced some years back in Malaysia but guess what. Malaysia government came up with the idea of a "SMART TUNNEL"

This smart tunnel was divided into three parts, the ground part was using for train while the last two were used for road.

This Smart Tunnel provided single solution to two problems.

1. City flood
2. Traffic with the main city.

How does it work?
On a normal day if there's not rain and traffic begins to build up within the city all the roads will be in use including the one for train but when rain starts and the city begins to be flooded, the train lane and part will be closed first allow massive flood water to pass through it as drainage. Likewise, as the city getting flooded. If there's a need to close the remaining part, it will be closed and used as drainage.

Now, why our leaders can't do such in Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by wunmi590(m): 11:41am On May 10, 2019
anonimi:

Only allocation?
What of IGR?
Why are you forgetting the loans too

Lol, thanks for remembering me

2 Likes

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by 9jaRealist: 11:54am On May 10, 2019
Emusan:

I laugh when people like you see criticism as a tribal war...

Yoruba adage says "If two friends enter room and came out laughing, it means they went in to deceive themselves but if they came out with strong face, it means they told themselves the truth."

Isn't Lagos over hype?

This same problem of flood that is combating Lagos was experienced some years back in Malaysia but guess what. Malaysia government came up with the idea of a "SMART TUNNEL"

This smart tunnel was divided into three parts, the ground part was using for train while the last two were used for road.

This Smart Tunnel provided single solution to two problems.

1. City flood
2. Traffic with the main city.

How does it work?
On a normal day if there's not rain and traffic begins to build up within the city all the roads will be in use including the one for train but when rain starts and the city begins to be flooded, the train lane and part will be closed first allow massive flood water to pass through it as drainage. Likewise, as the city getting flooded. If there's a need to close the remaining part, it will be closed and used as drainage.

Now, why our leaders can't do such in Lagos?

The SMART (Stormwater Tunnel and Road Management) project in Kuala Lumper is indeed an excellent project. However, it is also a PRIVATE sector-led project (under a PPP arrangement) with a 40-year concession period. Here in Lagos, PPP projects like the MMA2 airport terminal and the LCC Lekki Expressway, have each suffered either from government not respecting its contractual obligations and/or come under virulent public and political attacks. Such developments discourage badly-needed private investment in public infrastructure (where it takes a long time to recover on's investment, and thus certainty of contracts as well as governmental performance and policy stability is vital).
>

1 Like

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by nijabazaar: 12:19pm On May 10, 2019
Anagha123:

Tell me any state in Nigeria that is better than Lagos.

Abuja
Enugu
Cross River

heck even Anambra is a whole lot less stressful.
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by WenysAD(f): 12:30pm On May 10, 2019
Na wa o
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by sacx: 12:31pm On May 10, 2019
And someone keeps telling me to come to Lagos angry. If not for the opportunities that abound there, u don't see why anyone would decide to stress out life making an abode in that city. And the owners of those cars are doing damage to them. I sorry for that bros wen one drive e kompressor Benz pass that place grin.

1 Like

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by olajide8(m): 12:42pm On May 10, 2019
When Kenya was preparing for the rains and they were cleaning their drains and creating water chance channels ambode was busy building covered bus stops - see how he is disgracing the efforts of those before him

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by seguno2: 12:43pm On May 10, 2019
sacx:
And someone keeps telling me to come to Lagos angry. If not for the opportunities that abound there, u don't see why anyone would decide to stress out life making an abode in that city. And the owners of those cars are doing damage to them. I sorry for that bros wen one drive e kompressor Benz pass that place grin.

What stops others from creating opportunities in their own cities and states
Is anyone stopping them?

1 Like

Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by sacx: 12:56pm On May 10, 2019
seguno2:

What stops others from creating opportunities in their own cities and states
Is anyone stopping them?

That the problem. The tide has already been created. The easiest way to go is to flow with it, and that's the option most people choose. The present economic situation does not give room for experiments, so there is a mad rush to 'make ut' without considering if this would have lasting impact. At this pace, in a few years time, we will look back to see we've only consolidated on economic growth, but nothing on economic development.

The bulk lies in the hands of the government. They steer, we follow.
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Olorunnim: 1:53pm On May 10, 2019
FabulousAutos:
Just a little taste of what we see in some parts of the Island. From the video, I can see that Toyota vehicles (including Lexus) were the only vehicles that dared the flood.

BTW, What part of Ogba is this?
Why is it difficult for OP to state the part of Ogba that was affected?
Is it the entire Ogba that got flooded?
Wempco Road
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Olorunnim: 2:00pm On May 10, 2019
Stillthebest:

Taa this is Wempco Road I live at Agalajobi Estate
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by Hoodbilonia: 2:51pm On May 10, 2019
Suv only
Sedan go off inside water
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by agarawu23(m): 3:12pm On May 10, 2019
This is where you will know how strong your car engine is cheesy
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by engrchykae(m): 3:44pm On May 10, 2019
Anagha123:

Tell me any state in Nigeria that is better than Lagos.
CALABAR
Re: Roads Flooded In Ogba, Lagos After Light Rainfall (Photos) by seguno2: 4:34pm On May 10, 2019
sacx:
That the problem. The tide has already been created. The easiest way to go is to flow with it, and that's the option most people choose. The present economic situation does not give room for experiments, so there is a mad rush to 'make ut' without considering if this would have lasting impact. At this pace, in a few years time, we will look back to see we've only consolidated on economic growth, but nothing on economic development.

The bulk lies in the hands of the government. They steer, we follow.

Do you think that the government is different from the people?
Can any government exist with zero population, no one at all in the area? Not a single soul. Is it possible for a government to exist in such a circumstance

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Born In UK But Living In Nigeria / Tanker Explosion At Lafenwa Market, Abeokuta / See Abuja Rail Train Fares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.