Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,860 members, 7,821,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties (16683 Views)

What's The Oldest Tribe In Nigeria Between Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa / Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks / Ooni Reaffirms Igbo-yoruba Family Ties, Invites Olugbo For Clarification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by goodnessme1(f): 5:47pm On May 10, 2019
We dont share anything in common with yorubas.

This unity begging is too much.

1 Like

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by alexola20(m): 6:04pm On May 10, 2019
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by oduademonest: 6:15pm On May 10, 2019
Yeeibos and Yorubas do not have much in common

What we have in common is the same as what we have in common with other Africans:

1. Both peoples belong to the Kwa language family and both live in tropical forest areas, going from very wet coastal forest zones in the south to savanna grassland in the north.

2. Both depend upon a root crop economy, similar fruits and tree products, and use like kinds of traditional working tools.

3. Both are large groups, each probably having over ten million members, with high population densities for Africa; both have traditions of expansion along their borders.

4. Igbo and Yoruba were heavily involved in the European slave trade and have extensive market systems.

5. The two are characterized by pat-rilineality, the agnatic groupings forming the basic building blocks of their political system

Differences:

1. The Yoruba consist of a number of centralized states, once united under a large central state, while the Igbo have been made up of autonomous confederations of villages without strong centralization, except perhaps at Onitsha and through the Aro Chukwu network, as well as atIgbo-Ukwu in the archaeological

2. With Yoruba centralization and political hierarchy goes greater role specialization in all phases of life, from the political to the religious to the artistic. Further, the Yoruba mainly live in towns and cities, the Igbo until recently in villages, albeit densely populated rural

3. The Yoruba are also a more mythic people than the Igbo. Their pantheon of gods, with qualities not dissimilar to Greek and Scandinavian mythological figures, forms metaphors of past life and history that play important roles in present-day ritual and artistic activities, and there are
common myths and beliefs held by many or all Yoruba. The Igbo, in contrast, have more particularistic myths for individual villages and patrilineal groups, have less of a common sense of the past, and have religious beliefs that are less centralized, spreading over a host of spiritual forces. They are less historically oriented than the Yoruba

4. Yoruba sculpture forms a more coherent whole [than Igbo] because certain conventions are ac-cepted throughout the territory," while the Igbo "seem to have found little need for integrative influences in art above the level of the village and the district" (Fagg & Pemberton 1982:13).

5. It would be a mistake to assume, however, that repose in Yoruba art means that Yoruba are not interested in achievement, in striving; they are as en-trepreneurial as the Igbo, but their activi-ties tend, perhaps, to be less openly stated and more in terms of a structured hierarchical social situation

2 Likes

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Freshmaxi: 6:18pm On May 10, 2019
Never.. Me as Anambra man don't have anything to do with dirty Yoruba's.. I hate Yoruba with passion.. Any thing Yoruba is fake.. Useless. Set of people.. You should thank igbos for developing Lagos.. Do you guys know how to build attractive house?? Brown roof region of the nation.. Foolish betrayers.. Chest beaters...

2 Likes

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 10, 2019
AlhajaChinyere:

Getouttahere!!!!!
Chai. ;DYou dey vex o, this guy!
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by oduademonest: 6:38pm On May 10, 2019
Freshmaxi:
Never.. Me as Anambra man don't have anything to do with dirty Yoruba's.. I hate Yoruba with passion.. Any thing Yoruba is fake.. Useless. Set of people.. You should thank igbos for developing Lagos.. Do you guys know how to build attractive house?? Brown roof region of the nation.. Foolish betrayers.. Chest beaters...

Bush boy calling Yorubas dirty

The "Yoruba" have long been the most urbanized of all sub
Saharan people and among the most urbanized people in the world.
Yoruba have been quite explicit in distinguishing between rural and
urban behavior. Peter Lloyd strikes a note of awe in describing
Yoruba towns as "unique phenomena."

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Tallesty1(m): 6:40pm On May 10, 2019
alexola20:
Just for knowing.....can you tell us what kolanut is called in Igbo language? In Yoruba language it's called "obi(r.d)".
Oji

1 Like

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by TemmyT002(m): 6:41pm On May 10, 2019
Taaaah
Your Highness, please stop that.
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by agadez007(m): 6:43pm On May 10, 2019
alexola20:
Just for knowing.....can you tell us what kolanut is called in Igbo language? In Yoruba language it's called "obi(r.d)".
Oji

1 Like

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by APOSTLECHUMA: 6:53pm On May 10, 2019
THE SIMPLE BIBLE TRUTH IS THAT ALL HUMAN BEINGS REGARDLESS OF COLOUR,RACE ETC CAME THROUGH THESAME MOTHER THOUGH NOT THESAME FATHER. IN GEN 3-20, ADAM CALLED HIS WIFE'S NAME EVE BECAUSE SHE WAS THE MOTHER OF ALL THE LIVING BUT THERE WASNT A SINGLE PLACE ADAM WAS CALLED THE FATHER OF ALL THE LIVING. A DEEP LOOK INTO THIS HELPS US TO SEE THE ORIGINAL SIN IN EDEN HAVING SOMETHING TO DO WITH REPRODUCTION,THOUGH IT WAS REPORTED INFORM OF PARABLE. SEED IN THE BIBLE REPRESENTS PROSTERITY AND THE SERPENT OUT OF WHAT HE ATE WITH EVE,HAD A SEED,
BECAUSE GOD SAID "I WILL PUT ENEMITY BETWEEN THY SEED ( CHILD) AND THE SEED OF THE WOMAN" CAIN DIDNT APPEAR ANY WHERE IN THE BIBLE AS ADAM'S SON AND WHERE HE DID, HE WAS SAID TO BE OF THE EVIL ONE (THE DEVIL/SERPENT) IN 1JOHN 3-12. READ THE PARABLE OF WHEAT AND TARES IN MATTHW 13 AND YOU WILL SEE THIS. ALL
DESCENDANTS OF CAIN ARE SERPENT SEEDS, WHILE GOD BEGAN COUNTING ADAM'S SONS THROUGH SETH. GEN 6. WHEN SONS OF GOD BEGAN TO MARRY DAUGHTERS OF MEN (NOT DAUGHTERS OF GOD) MIXING BOTH BLOOD, GOD DESTROYED THE WORLD OF NOAH. SCIENTISTS KNOW THIS TRUTH MORE THAN THOSE CARRYING BIBLES. THEY HAVE TRIED IT THROUGH APE BUT IT DIDNT WORK AS THE ORIGINAL ANIMAL THAT DID WAS CURSED.THEY SAID THAT WE EVOLVED FROM THE APE AND THEY ARE RIGHT IN A WAY AS SOME ARE SERPENT SEEDS.
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Sunsets: 7:05pm On May 10, 2019
Gbam
SoNature:

Humanity first, tribe secondary
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Ikem11(m): 7:14pm On May 10, 2019
AlhajaChinyere:

Getouttahere!!!!!

Your thoughts doesn't change a fact.

1 Like

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Nobody: 7:19pm On May 10, 2019
Ikem11:

because that logo is the ancient symbol of eri kingdom... It's been there even before white man step foot in Igbo land... That's why many Igbos believes they are jews cos that is same symbol of David

Gbam.
Igbo amaka.

Cc Lzaa adaibeku

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by blaqroy: 7:56pm On May 10, 2019
Westsida:

Brain dead. Who Dey drag unity with una? Who started the hatred? All because say we no support Jonathan, even after many years of supporting Pdp. Remove the hatred in you, and unity don begin! Kpam!

Why are u sounding so bitter, are u depressed grin grin
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by FSU: 8:55pm On May 10, 2019
Dareal90s:

We ain't talking about d specie, kolanut in general grows more in South West nd d facts ar there for u to see even if we base it on species.

Those who rated SW as d highest producer of kola have their reasons nd the statistics behind it, we don't base it on weda ur ancestor has 1000 trees or millions of trees.

Hausas grows it, Igbos grows it, Ijaws grows it, but the real kola deql is from Yoruba land.

The fact is in Nigeria even west Africa Yoruba's grows it most , name d specie u will find it in excess here, kolanuts grows like weed here.

Just like u comparing d production of garri in Ijebu land with Ikewre land.

The Oni was not even talking about quantity between Yoruba vs others. He was saying quite clearly ONLY the Yoruba produce it and I quote
because no Igbo man can do without kolanut which only grows in Yorubaland
, which is WRONG. Do you get the difference?
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by FSU: 8:56pm On May 10, 2019
alexola20:

Just for knowing.....can you tell us what kolanut is called in Igbo language?
In Yoruba language it's called "obi(r.d)".

It's called oji.

1 Like

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Dareal90s(m): 8:58pm On May 10, 2019
FSU:

The Oni was not even talking about quantity between Yoruba vs others. He was saying quite clearly ONLY the Yoruba produce it, which is WRONG. Do you get the difference?
Were u alive then? He knows the history of his fore fathers and to prove him right, y is it that u people purchase Kolanuts from Yoruba's all d way from Igbo land? Even ur Igwe can't deny it.
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by FSU: 9:02pm On May 10, 2019
Dareal90s:

Were u alive then? He knows the history of his fore fathers and to prove him right, y is it that u people purchase Kolanuts from Yoruba's all d way from Igbo land? Even ur Igwe can't deny it.

What are you arguing? That Igbos don't grow kolanut? Then you need to travel out of your hut in Ogbomosho. Yoruba may produce more than Igbo and therefore will sell to Igbos trading on kolanut. That does not mean there are not 100s of 1000s of kolanut trees in Igboland. I have just mentioned that my grandfather had 5 trees and that was modest back in our village in Abia State.
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Dareal90s(m): 9:05pm On May 10, 2019
FSU:

What are you arguing? That Igbos don't grow colanut? Then you need to travel out of your hut in Ogbomosho. Yoruba may produce more than Igbo and therefore will sell to Igbo trading on kolanut. That does not mean there are not 100s of 1000s of kolanut trees in Igboland. I have just mentioned that my grandfather had 5 trees and that was modest back in our village in Abia State.
See this village boy, do u read my comments at all, or u av block head? Even my Ogbomosho is better than ur red erosion ravaged land. Come to my ogbomosho u will see ur brothers at least two Igbo family in every buildings here as tenants.

If u don't knw how to read give ur phone to an educated person to read to u, mumu.
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by topstone4: 9:07pm On May 10, 2019
Philistine:
I am beginning to hate this Ooni, what d'afuck is all this Yoruba n Igbo ish, can't he just keep his mouth shut. There is no relationship between Igbos n Yoruba, either in the past or presently.Full Stop.

Your comment sounds like "I don't want any relationship between igbos n yoruba". It's like you derived satisfaction from hatred. You will go to hell if you die like this.
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by FSU: 9:12pm On May 10, 2019
Dareal90s:

See this village boy, do u read my comments at all, or u av block head? Even my Ogbomosho is better than ur red erosion ravaged land. Come to my ogbomosho u will see ur brothers at least two Igbo family in every buildings here as tenants.

If u don't knw how to read give ur phone to an educated person to read to u, mumu.

You are very foolish. The US produces oil and still imports more oil from abroad. Why is that so? Similarly, Igbos use kolanut for virtually all traditional ceremonies. They don't produce enough for their domestic consumption and have to import from Yorubas who produce more than they need. That is different from the Oni saying that Igbos don't grow kolanut. You, and unfortunately the Oni, lack basic understanding of economic and agricultural production dynamics.

1 Like

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by MXrep: 9:14pm On May 10, 2019
Follygunners:

You're indeed an Okoro Savage! grin

"Igbo" in this Yoruba context means forest / Bush / Jungle

Igbobi - Igbo-obi (Forest of Kola-nut)
Ijebu Igbo - Ijebu land of vast forest
Oyingbo OR Igbo-Oyin - Forest filled with honey
Igbosere - Forest of fun / play park

Please, get your facts right instead of assuming like majority of Igbos do. You guys tend to propagate stories to suit yourselves. Abeg, enough of the nonsense! angry
And you forget that igbo is synonymous with forests.
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Dareal90s(m): 9:15pm On May 10, 2019
FSU:

You are very foolish. The US produces oil and still imports more oil from abroad. Why is that so? Similarly, Igbos use kolanut for virtually all traditional ceremonies. They don't produce enough for their domestic consumption and have to import from Yorubas who produce more than they need. That is different from the Oni saying that Igbos don't grow kolanut. You lack basic understanding of economic and agricultural production dynamics.
Can you see another stupidity in ur comment? Now bring out that line where Oni said Igbo's don't produce Kolanuts. If u can't find that line then ur mumu will never end till u kick d bucket.
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by FSU: 9:29pm On May 10, 2019
Dareal90s:

Can you see another stupidity in ur comment? Now bring out that line where Oni said Igbo's don't produce Kolanuts. If u can't find that line then ur mumu will never end till u kick d bucket.

Your daftness can't get any worse. Now go back to page 1 and you will see this quote from the Oni
We Yoruba have strong ties with Igbos because no Igbo man can do without kolanut which only grows in Yorubaland
It's really easy to see that you are one semi-illiterate, ignorance-reeking, bush boy living in a village in Ogbomosho.

2 Likes

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by FSU: 10:03pm On May 10, 2019
Dareal90s:

This is the funniest shytte I have ever seen on Nairaland. You are typing with China phone of 35 thousand Naira, while I am typing with a Lenovo thinkPad I bought for 1500 United States Dollars (=525,000 Naira).

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Shinjitsu: 10:19pm On May 10, 2019
MyVILLAGEpeople:
The Ooni of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has charged researchers to study the age-long relationship between the Yoruba natives and the Igbo people of South-east Nigeria so as to deepen their knowledge of African history.

He made this call on Thursday while hosting a monarch, Chukwuemeka Eri, Ezeora 34th, from Anambra State.

Mr Ogunwusi said the Igbo people, globally known for economic prowess, have identical culture with their Yoruba counterparts in the South-west part of the country.

“Africa must unite for peace and progress across board, I am sure that if Igbo people and their Yoruba brothers come together, Africa will unite”, he said.

“I am so happy to receive you all and I must say that today is one of my happiest moments on this throne. I feel proud of you on your achievements within the last 42 years of reign on the throne of your ancestors.

“I have been having sleepless night because my ancestors have been visiting me that black race must unite. This coincided with my mandate of peace and unity that I have preached around the globe. No race should be left behind,” the Ooni said.

“Your Eri kingdom is one of the oldest kingdoms in Igboland. We Yoruba have strong ties with Igbos because no Igbo man can do without kolanut which only grows in Yorubaland, we must therefore relate together as members of the dame family, this is the best way we can enjoy lasting peaceful coexistence as Nigerians.

“Ile-Ife is your home and you are always welcome. We, in Ife are only the custodians of the great family worldwide because all the citizens of the world migrated from Ife.”

‘Royal handshake’

In his speech titled, “Royal Handshake Across The Niger”, Eze Chukwuemeka Eri appreciated the roles played by the Ooni to open up the relationship between the Yoruba and Igbos.

“Thank you Imperial Majesty, we have been projecting this historical dimension, though not using your platform and since you have echoed same from different angle, there seems to be some kind of historical treasure hidden somewhere about the relationship between Yoruba and Igbo.

“One of the best ways to unravel this mystery is to encourage inter-ethnic visits especially during cultural activities,” he said.

The Eze Ndigbo of Ife, Ezekiel Onyejekwe while reacting, said the visit is a historic homecoming for the visiting Igbo monarch.

“The Ndigbo will fully support the Ooni of Ife in his peace and unity mission, irrespective of the hues and cries by the uninformed mischief makers who are mere attention seekers.”

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/regional/ssouth-west/329285-ooni-asks-historians-to-research-on-yoruba-igbo-family-ties.html?amp_markup=1

Ooni or onions I don't know which is your name..the igbos don't want to have anything to do with cowards and hause / Fulani ass lick please just let us be..You idiots should tell you ooni or onions to go fix himself first
Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Dareal90s(m): 10:19pm On May 10, 2019
FSU:

This is the funniest shytte I have ever seen on Nairaland. You are typing with China phone of 35 thousand Naira, while I am typing with a Lenovo thinkPad I bought for 1500 United States Dollars (=525,000 Naira).

See ur mumu self, am also typing with a Lenovo G750 which you cant buy from Nigeria. u wanna show? lets get it started. ill show u i can feed ur whole street for a good one month.

Re: Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties by Dareal90s(m): 10:20pm On May 10, 2019
FSU:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is It Compulsory To Do Ones Traditional Wedding At The Village? / Ijebu Girls Are The Best Wife Material / Nigeria Traditional Marriage, The Urhobo Way

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.