Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,390 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:22 AM

The EPL Is The Most Competitive In The World, No Arguments - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The EPL Is The Most Competitive In The World, No Arguments (629 Views)

EPL Is Slowly Getting Bigger Than The Champions League / Meet Kelechi Anyikude Who Uses The EPL To Promote The Nigerian Culture / Naomi Osaka Wins Australia Open; Becomes World No 1 (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The EPL Is The Most Competitive In The World, No Arguments by theoneJabulani(m): 2:10pm On May 10, 2019
From the big 4 in 2009 to the big 6 2019, the premier league has always been full of surprises, drama and excitement. And why wouldn't it be? With the mega bumper tv rights deal, a club finishing bottom of the league table still makes more money than the €86M Real Madrid got for winning the champions league in 2018. Which explains why Newly promoted full could afford to spend £100M pounds on transfers, only to get relegated by April. The fact that already relegated Huddersfield can deny Manchester United a UCL place next season is all part of the allure, that Newly promoted Wolves would steal points from 5 of the top 6 is part of the excitement of expecting the unexpected. But for all the competitiveness, is the EPL the best in the world? Honestly, I don't think so. In Europe today, only a few clubs can match the wealth of English clubs and those few are among the elites. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, PSG, Bayern Munich. In the respective leagues of each teams, no one else can match their spending power. It constitutes a major challenge to other clubs in the leagues in that they might not always be able to recruit the best players and also find it difficult to keep their own players from being poached by the big guy. For example Bayern and PSG in the bundesliga and ligue 1, both clubs have systematically made their opponents weaker by poaching their best players effectively reducing the competition. But still some teams have thrived despite this handicap, with quality scouting, they have been able to bring players that can effortlessly slot into their system. It's how Dortmund were able to get Jadon Sancho for peanuts. The competition in the EPL is only there because the clubs have money to spend. I mean where we're Man City before the oil money of Abu Dhabi? If other leagues had half the money of the EPL it would become more competitive. But that is not to say that the beauty of the EPL is bases solely on money, I mean look at Leicester in 2016 and Spurs who are in the UCL final despite not spending on transfers. So how do we know the best league in the world? By its successes in competitions against teams from other leagues. So the question is which league has the most success in international competition? The all English final achieve by the EPL this season is great, something never seen before but still it stands below what the Spanish teams have achieved in recent times. A few more similar performances by English clubs and the EPL will truly be the best in the world. But for now, it isn't. Everything I have written is just my own opinion though, but then, what do I know? Am just a guy who loves football.

2 Likes

Re: The EPL Is The Most Competitive In The World, No Arguments by 2kurupt(m): 1:20am On May 11, 2019
I always wonder how La liga, Bundesliga, Series A & Ligue 1 etc fans manage to contain the boredom and predictability of knowing the league will ALWAYS be won by Barcelona/Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus & PSG respectively year in, year out. undecided

Imagine Juve retaining the title 8 consecutive times
What are the remaining 19 Italian top division teams doing for crying out loud?

A bad workman will always blame his tools, money or no money the EPL will always be on the top of the food chain
Re: The EPL Is The Most Competitive In The World, No Arguments by theoneJabulani(m): 4:07am On May 11, 2019
2kurupt:
I always wonder how La liga, Bundesliga, Series A & Ligue 1 etc fans manage to contain the boredom and predictability of knowing the league will ALWAYS be won by Barcelona/Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus & PSG respectively year in, year out. undecided

Imagine Juve retaining the title 8 consecutive times
What are the remaining 19 Italian top division teams doing for crying out loud?

A bad workman will always blame his tools, money or no money the EPL will always be on the top of the food chain
How did EPL fans contain the boredom when Spanish teams won the UCL five times in a row?
Re: The EPL Is The Most Competitive In The World, No Arguments by 2kurupt(m): 9:10am On May 11, 2019
theoneJabulani:
How did EPL fans contain the boredom when Spanish teams won the UCL five times in a row?

I knew you are a butt hurt la liga fan tongue

Sorry to burst your bubble, 3 EPL teams (Liverpool, Nottingham Forest & Aston Villa) have won the UCL record 6 times in a row amongst themselves so what's the big deal?

You think Barcelona and Madrid have done the impossible abi? You should start ranting when you've more than 2 teams vying for the league trophy every season
Re: The EPL Is The Most Competitive In The World, No Arguments by theoneJabulani(m): 11:26am On May 11, 2019
2kurupt:

I knew you are a butt hurt la liga fan tongue

Sorry to burst your bubble, 3 EPL teams (Liverpool, Nottingham Forest & Aston Villa) have won the UCL record 6 times in a row amongst themselves so what's the big deal?

You think Barcelona and Madrid have done the impossible abi? You should start ranting when you've more than 2 teams vying for the league trophy every season
following the dominance of Ajax and Bayern Munich in the early to mid 70s, the success achieved by English teams from 1977 to the early 80s was remarkable, totally unrivaled till today and I believe more could have been achieved if not for the ban suffered by English clubs. But remember that there is a reason why until 2017, no team had successfully defended the UCL since it's rebranding in 1992. The reason is the quality and quantity of the teams increased. So it's more harder winning the UCL today than it was 40 years ago. And in most leagues today, only two teams fight for the league, the only difference in the EPL is that you don't know which team it will be. The points difference between 1st and 3rd place teams in the EPL was 15 in 2017, 23 in 2018 and 24 in 2019.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Mike Ashley Has Reportedly Sold Newcastle United To A Dubai-Based Billionaire / Anthony Joshua Predicts Champions League Winner (photos) / Barcelona Star Lionel Messi Names Two Things He Still Wants To Achievement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.