Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,972 members, 7,814,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? (363 Views)

Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? / Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. / Are Writers Lonely? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:37am On May 13, 2019
Hi guys, I'd like to go straight to the point by throwing this question out there. Are writers underpaid in this part of the world? Do you think you deserve to earn more from your time and writing talents? Are your client's offers not just good enough or are they just manageable?

Do you think it's fair to earn N1 per word on your articles? Especially when you still have to do some research on certain topics even before writing?

Let's remind ourselves of the challenges we face in executing these writing tasks. These challenges include -

1. inconsistent power supply

2. purchase of petrol or diesel for your generator

3. mobile data for your device

all these for the sake of meeting up with your client's deadline!

Let's have your thoughts!
Re: Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? by davidkingsley59(m): 1:26pm On May 13, 2019
Nigerian writers aren't the only underpaid writers. Unemployment rate is high even in the U.K. and USA notwithstanding academic qualifications and writing abilities. One major problem we have as writers is impatience.

Unless you are affiliated to a reliable source of tasks that pays well too, one needs to embrace the challenges of working with internment power supply, high cost of fuel, expenses on maintaining your alternative power supply for stipends until God shows mercy by giving us the desired breakthrough. The fact is: you'll never make it as a writer without getting marginal earnings for some months or years--I don't wish this upon you. A positive side of the suffering is the knowledge you gain and writing skills you develop amid the "suffering and smiling" phase.

When I ventured into full time writing about 4 years ago, my first work-from-home employment was with a Nigerian from Delta state. The sad story aside, I earned between 700 - 1,200 Naira for articles research jobs not less than 500 words. At that time, the cash helped even though it was minimal but the experience I gained from writing academic thesis, proposals, statement of purpose, biographies, CV and more is a lifetime treasure.

Eventually, through the suffering and perseverance, I got my breakthrough from an unexpected source. Though I still get clients from www.meziesblog.com, I have built partnerships with people who supply me with writing jobs outside Nigeria and the pay is awesome -- and it continues as long as I keep delivering quality. That's it. WORK UNTIL YOU ARE DISCOVERED NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES. Ditch the get-rich-quick mentality and concentrate on self-development.
Re: Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:06pm On May 14, 2019
davidkingsley59:
Nigerian writers aren't the only underpaid writers. Unemployment rate is high even in the U.K. and USA notwithstanding academic qualifications and writing abilities. One major problem we have as writers is impatience.

Unless you are affiliated to a reliable source of tasks that pays well too, one needs to embrace the challenges of working with internment power supply, high cost of fuel, expenses on maintaining your alternative power supply for stipends until God shows mercy by giving us the desired breakthrough. The fact is: you'll never make it as a writer without getting marginal earnings for some months or years--I don't wish this upon you. A positive side of the suffering is the knowledge you gain and writing skills you develop amid the "suffering and smiling" phase.

When I ventured into full time writing about 4 years ago, my first work-from-home employment was with a Nigerian from Delta state. The sad story aside, I earned between 700 - 1,200 Naira for articles research jobs not less than 500 words. At that time, the cash helped even though it was minimal but the experience I gained from writing academic thesis, proposals, statement of purpose, biographies, CV and more is a lifetime treasure.

Eventually, through the suffering and perseverance, I got my breakthrough from an unexpected source. Though I still get clients from www.meziesblog.com, I have built partnerships with people who supply me with writing jobs outside Nigeria and the pay is awesome -- and it continues as long as I keep delivering quality. That's it. WORK UNTIL YOU ARE DISCOVERED NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES. Ditch the get-rich-quick mentality and concentrate on self-development.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on this thread, however my post must've confused you to assume I am a newcomer in the writing business. I am not Sir. I've been writing articles for over 15yrs and it has rewarded me beautifully. I only wrote made the post because I hear a lot of writers complain that the job isn't worth it, but like you rightly said, they have to pay their dues and persevere till they get that big break. Thanks for sharing with us once again Sir. God bless!

(1) (Reply)

When Love Dies - Episode 4 / Black And White / What Breaks A Man (part 2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.