Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,412 members, 7,819,468 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours (3660 Views)

3 Nigerian Students In UK Face Deportation For Paying Their School Fees Late / MAPOLY Student Arrested For Buying Contraceptives (Photo) / FUTO Student Arrested For Pouring Hot Water On Fellow Student Over Toothpaste (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by seguntijan(m): 5:19am On May 14, 2019
Jobandeep Sandhu, an international student from Punjab, India who worked as a truck driver while going to school, was arrested and could soon be deported for “working too hard,” his lawyers claim.
“I was totally broken,” Sandhu said, describing the moment of his arrest.
On Dec. 13, 2017, while driving a commercial vehicle between Montreal and Toronto, Sandhu, 22, was pulled over by an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer at the side of Highway 401 for a “routine traffic stop,” a report said.

A few moments later — and with little explanation, he claimed — Sandhu was arrested, handcuffed and placed in the back seat of an OPP squad car.
A police background check showed Sandhu had no criminal history at the time of his arrest.
What he had done, however — and what a review of his driver’s logbook revealed that day — was exceed the maximum number of hours an international student in Canada is allowed to work each week.

But working full time was the only way he could afford to stay in school, Sandhu said.
“I never lied,” he said. “I didn’t kill anybody. I didn’t rob.”
“My only crime is that I was working,” he said.
Sandhu ‘had to work’ full time
Under current rules, international students in Canada can work up to 20 hours a week “off campus” without a separate work visa. During scheduled breaks, including summers, foreign students are allowed to work full time.
But the cost of living plus the high cost of tuition — roughly $27,000 in international student fees — meant Sandhu had to work more in order to remain in school, he said.

His parents, who covered his first semester’s tuition, had exhausted their savings and were facing pressure to pay back loans from private money lenders in India, Sandhu said.
“I needed the money,” he said. “To pay the fees, to pay the tuition, to pay the expenses.”
When Sandhu first arrived in Canada, he did not work, he said. He then got a job part time, working only occasionally.

But when he switched colleges and his schedule changed, he started working full time as a truck driver — roughly 35 to 40 hours a week, he said.
With the money he earned, Sandhu said he paid tuition and expenses and helped support his brother, who had also come to Canada as an international student.
“My parents were like, ‘OK, you guys are going abroad and you guys have to be on your own,’” he said.
Study must be primary focus
In a written statement, a spokesperson for the government said Sandhu’s study permit authorized him to work 20 hours a week while going to school.
The spokesperson also referenced a report from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) created on the day of Sandhu’s arrest that said he was “inadmissible” to Canada for breaking the terms of his study permit, noting that this decision was upheld by Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board in a March 2018 hearing.
The government also said the primary activity of study permit holders in Canada must be to study.
“Limiting off-campus work to 20 hours per week while class is in session reflects that (policy) while continuing to offer the opportunity to gain valuable workplace experience in Canada and earn some money,” said Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) spokesperson Béatrice Fénelon.
Hand-delivered to CBSA
While it’s not unusual for police to report suspected immigration breaches to the CBSA, Sandhu’s lawyers say the officer who arrested him went well beyond what they typically see from law enforcement.
“I’ve never seen a case where an OPP officer takes it upon themselves to do their own immigration investigation into whether someone is working the allotted hours under a student permit,” Adrienne Smith, one of Sandhu’s lawyers, said.

At the time of his arrest, Sandhu was 10 days away from finishing a diploma at Canadore College in Mississauga, Ont., to become a mechanical engineering technician.
During the ride, which lasted roughly 45 minutes, Sandhu said, he remained handcuffed.
“I was scared,” Sandhu said. “He was saying I was going to be sent back home as soon as tomorrow.”
The OPP did not answer questions about Sandhu’s claims.

However, in a written statement, OPP spokesperson Bill Dickson said it’s normal for officers to work with other law enforcement agencies on investigations.
“We routinely consult with the Canada Border Services Agency when an incident involves aspects that fall under its mandate,” Dickson said.
Gradual changes to rules
Prior to 2006, foreign students in Canada were allowed to work on campus only.
Then, after successful pilot projects in three provinces, the government of former prime minister Stephen Harper launched the Off-Campus Work Permit Program. The program let international students apply for permits to work up to 20 hours a week after completing six months of eligible studies.
In 2014, Harper relaxed the rules further, waiving the requirement for a separate work permit and allowing students to work as soon as they arrived in Canada.

Under the current Liberal government, rules around work for international students have undergone only minor changes.
And according to Fénelon, anyone who wants to work full time in Canada should apply for the appropriate work visa — not a study permit.

But with tuition costs rising and the number of foreign students growing — from roughly 170,000 a decade ago to more than half a million in 2019 — advocates, including Smith, say it’s time the government considers changing these rules yet again.
“We have to question why that rule is even there in the first place,” Smith said.
“It’s kind of this arbitrary requirement that an international student has to work less than 20 hours a week,” she said. “The reality of students today is that many students are working more than that.”
Smith also said that in its push to attract more international students, Canada could benefit by distinguishing itself from countries such as the U.S. and U.K., which have similar restrictions on work for foreign students.

Even more changes needed

Adam Brown, chair of the Canadian Alliance of Student Associations, agrees with Smith.
He said limited access to work is a barrier to attracting international students.
He also thinks the government should allow part-time international students to work and that all foreign students should have access to co-op programs as a condition of their study permits.
“Obviously, that 20 hours a week of work off campus during the school year is often not sufficient,” Brown said. “Especially when international students pay, on average, almost four times more tuition than domestic students.”

According to an analysis by the federal government, international students contribute $15.5 billion annually to the Canadian economy. These students also support roughly 170,000 jobs.
But as costs increase and education shifts to a more practical learning environment, Brown said the government’s policies on work for international students have not kept pace.

Like Smith, he thinks Canada should find ways to stand out from other countries that are also looking to increase their share of the lucrative international student market.
“It’s a little frustrating that we haven’t seen as much movement as we’d like to see from the federal government,” he said.
“(But) we’re going to continue pushing on these issues because it’s just the right thing to do.”
Sandhu’s request to stay
While Sandhu said he regrets what he did, he insists working full time was the only way he could stay in school.
“I don’t think it’s a big crime,” he said. “From the beginning, I admitted that I was working full time.”
Sandhu pointed to the fact that he has finished school and that he has a full-time job in an industry currently experiencing employment shortages in Ontario as reasons why he should be allowed to stay.
Sandhu has applied to IRCC for a temporary resident permit. If accepted, he will be allowed to stay. If not, he said CBSA told him he must go back to India no later than May 31.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5269138/international-student-arrested-facing-deportation-work-permit/

1 Like

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Harrymig1(m): 5:34am On May 14, 2019
That's sad

4 Likes

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Greyworld: 6:01am On May 14, 2019
My point of interest: foreign students account for 15 billion dollars in the Canadian economy...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by ednut1(m): 6:25am On May 14, 2019
This is why student visa is hard these days. If you no get money why go abroad to study ehn. Smh

3 Likes

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by phorget(m): 6:25am On May 14, 2019
Hmmmm nah wa o. When me I can work for like 105 hours in a week.

1 Like

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by MVLOX(m): 6:31am On May 14, 2019
na WA ooo.... if person no work na crime.... if e over work too na crime.... chai
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by ednut1(m): 6:32am On May 14, 2019
Greyworld:
My point of interest: foreign students account for 15 billion dollars in the Canadian economy...
the advanced countries cannot afford to allow us progress because they wont survive either

1 Like

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by falcon01: 8:28am On May 14, 2019
damn
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 9:45am On May 14, 2019
Blood of Nebuchadnezzar.
What did I just read now??
But this is really touching though. I wish he could see help.

3 Likes

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Iwanttoto1: 9:53am On May 14, 2019
VILLAGES PEPULS embarassed
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by metroid(m): 10:10am On May 14, 2019
I hope he gets help and scale through.
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by lifestyle1(m): 10:45am On May 14, 2019
He was arrested 10 days to finish his diploma... embarassed
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Failure44: 12:15pm On May 14, 2019
15.5 billion naria for international students, Imagine what they gain from tourism.
The man even claims some industries are lacking employees!!!!
All the Nigerian government know is OIL, OIL, OIL!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by abumeinben(m): 1:24pm On May 14, 2019
Shoouuuuuuu!?

Na offense to over hustle now?

grin
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by bossvinqualad25(m): 2:21pm On May 14, 2019
Please Nigerians, help a friend in dire need of fund for surgery outside the country, no amount is too small,God bless you as you do so

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by jamesope04(m): 2:45pm On May 14, 2019
Got a Samsung galaxy S6 for quick sale..
https://www.nairaland.com/5184581/mint-samsung-galaxy-s6
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by budaatum: 2:58pm On May 14, 2019
Greyworld:
In am economy worth $1.820 trillion (nominal; 2019) $1.931 trillion (PPP; 2019). That's less than 0.01% of the Canadian economy, 0.00824175824% to be exact and for context.
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Rextizzle(m): 3:46pm On May 14, 2019
Someone can't work in peace again
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Greyworld: 8:00pm On May 14, 2019
budaatum:

In am economy worth $1.820 trillion (nominal; 2019) $1.931 trillion (PPP; 2019). That's less than 0.01% of the Canadian economy, 0.00824175824% to be exact and for context.
In other words it is highly insignificant right? well I av been seeing a lot of people like you lately why?
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Follygunners: 8:03pm On May 14, 2019
ednut1:
the advanced countries cannot afford to allow us progress because they wont survive either

Ignorant Yaba Lefty!
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by budaatum: 8:28pm On May 14, 2019
Greyworld:

In other words it is highly insignificant right? well I av been seeing a lot of people like you lately why?
15 billion dollars is insignificant?
Amazing how you view info!
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Fhemmmy: 8:46pm On May 14, 2019
He worked more than the class of his visa allowed and you still think he hasn't done anything wrong?

1 Like

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Greyworld: 8:51pm On May 14, 2019
budaatum:
15 billion dollars is insignificant?
Amazing how you view info!
I should be asking you that. because your analysis implied that.... or what were you implying by the 0.00001 stuff?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 14, 2019
The police that reported him is wicked, all he has to do was to warn him and tell him the consequences of what he's doing.

Meaning if deported everything was useless and how's he going to pay back the loan. Sometimes we should mind the risk we take. Always think about those depending us before taking some certain action, now the parents will be so disappointed.
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by budaatum: 9:16pm On May 14, 2019
Greyworld:

I should be asking you that. because your analysis implied that.... or what were you implying by the 0.00001 stuff?
Implied? Or you inferred?

I stated a fact having been compelled to check myself. The fees in Canada are high and foreign student's must work to pay it since most parents can't continously afford it. It crossed my mind it can be cold but most won't mind sacrificing cold for Nigeria, is what I thought, considering the superior education and employment opportunities in Canada. I wondered how they'd earn enough to pay the fees and still have the time to study but concluded Naijapeople na rugged people, throw us in a river and we will swim. And Canada want to increase that 0.01% so hope for those who want to go there, considering what I'd read at the time. If they double it that's a whopping 30billion, or 50 since the economy itself would have grown! Thank God Nairaland has a thread for any one who wanted advise on how to get there, I muttered in my mind. And God bless Seun.
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Greyworld: 4:48am On May 15, 2019
budaatum:

Implied? Or you inferred?

I stated a fact having been compelled to check myself. The fees in Canada are high and foreign student's must work to pay it since most parents can't continously afford it. It crossed my mind it can be cold but most won't mind sacrificing cold for Nigeria, is what I thought, considering the superior education and employment opportunities in Canada. I wondered how they'd earn enough to pay the fees and still have the time to study but concluded Naijapeople na rugged people, throw us in a river and we will swim. And Canada want to increase that 0.01% so hope for those who want to go there, considering what I'd read at the time. If they double it that's a whopping 30billion, or 50 since the economy itself would have grown! Thank God Nairaland has a thread for any one who wanted advise on how to get there, I muttered in my mind. And God bless Seun.
okay. seems we re on the same page. That amount is huge. Do av a nice time buddy...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Nobody: 10:41pm On May 26, 2019
Iwanttoto1:

VILLAGES PEPULS embarassed
hi bro.my mail isn't working.
Can we talk on a dead thread?
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Iwanttoto1: 10:54pm On May 26, 2019
Logobenz:
hi bro.my mail isn't working.
Can we talk on a dead thread?

Abeg I dey interested for that drinks smuguling bizness. I dey interested
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Nobody: 10:55pm On May 26, 2019
Iwanttoto1:

Abeg I dey interested for that drinks smuguling bizness. I dey interested
oh really?wow.
Never knew you were an igbo man.
Ok so how can I be of help to you?
Besides,where are you?
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Iwanttoto1: 10:57pm On May 26, 2019
Logobenz:
oh really?wow.
Besides,where are you?

I be afonja but my mama na ibo. Na onitsha I grow up. I dey Lagos. Lekki side.
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Nobody: 11:10pm On May 26, 2019
Iwanttoto1:

I be afonja but my mama na ibo. Na onitsha I grow up. I dey Lagos. Lekki side.
ah ok great.
I dey out of Nigeria at this moment.i will be in America in like 11 days.
So when I come back I go message you ok?
I live in phc btw
Re: International Student Arrested, Facing Deportation For Working Too Many Hours by Iwanttoto1: 11:10pm On May 26, 2019
Logobenz:
oh really?wow.
Besides,where are you?

iwanttoto1985@gmail.com.
Biko tu ala m mail ebea

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wigwe's Funeral:the Moment Akpabio Was Humbled By A RCCG Pastor / ONLINE FOREIGN DEGREE --- ACCEPTED IN NIGERIA? / 2012 RCCG Annual SCHOLARSHIP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.