Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,420 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation (16420 Views)

Bulus Yikura: Boko Haram Frees Kidnapped Pastor Who Begged FG, CAN For Help / Amaechi On Loan: China Can Seize Assets If Nigeria Defaults / EFCC And ICPC Stripped Of Powers To Seize Assets In Corruption Cases (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by sucess001(m): 7:54am On May 15, 2019
Was Tinubu able to explain his source of the bulion van wealth?
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by jaxxy(m): 7:55am On May 15, 2019
People should read. The clause is if u cannot explain how u came about such wealth. I wonder how sm1 will have wealth and cannot is explain how he got it. Is that possible?
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by SaintM90(m): 7:59am On May 15, 2019
Wait a minute.. Who said this Osunbade is/was an anointed man of God?
Which church again plz because what I'm seeing here issa nitwit, a Man who's being used to achieve a goal..

I hate APC and APC hates me too

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by mapet: 8:19am On May 15, 2019
anonymous96:
Don't know why everyone above me are insulting the lawyers...It may be unfair but it is correct..Same thing in USA...  The government can take your money on suspicion without ever filing a criminal complaint, it is left for you to prove how you got the money. People always assume it is government that is meant to prove you got it illegally..

Bros,

Unfortunately, the reality of Nairaland is that it is laced with i.diots. Everyone with a modicum of a brain knows that standard practice all over the world is that you explain the source of your "unexplained" asset or wealth. Here on Nairaland, it takes a f.o.o.l to start on a foolish trajectory, then bang! i.dioitas will be let loose

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by justli: 8:19am On May 15, 2019
Even though buhari is grossly incompetent, the idea of seizing the properties of politicians and public servants until they prove how they got such asset is welcomed.

Think about this way, these guys, all of them, buhari included, are all wicked. They have looted this country dry and with impunity.

Let it be witch hunt against the opposition. In my opinion he should go down on them with no mercy in that way, when a new govt takes over, they can come after him and his fellow thievs as well .

If u have wealth u can't account for, such should be seized. It's in America the govt has the burden of proof. In Nigeria with our bad legal systems, criminal will always hide their track making it almost impossible to prove an obvious illegall acquired asset.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by mapet: 8:22am On May 15, 2019
Akolawole:

anonimi:

Was he not the Attorney General who drafted the lootocracy law for JagaBandit's pension and the unconstitutional LGAs that led to seizure of the LGA funds?
He has been a rogue lawyer since forever.
Was he a member of House of assembly in Lagos?

you dignify this guy with any credible submission?

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by akpanoka: 8:23am On May 15, 2019
They shouldn't come near my properties abeg.

Na so e the take start
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by ideylaff: 8:27am On May 15, 2019
Realtord43:
WOW, this govt is damn incompetent and lack priority to govern. just baseless talk with no clear cut point agenda to bet Nigeria for Nigerian shocked

Well said absolute rubbish from a supposedly learned person playing to the gallery.

Let’s start with them all and their unexplainable wealth.

Tinubu , Okorocha and co
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by ideylaff: 8:29am On May 15, 2019
sucess001:
Was Tinubu able to explain his source of the bulion van wealth?

Thanks great point
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by backnbeta(f): 8:29am On May 15, 2019
InvisibleB:
Nothing has happened to Gandollar.
When you are above the law, you are above the law...no one can shake you undecided

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by ideylaff: 8:30am On May 15, 2019
SOFTENGR:
...coming an S A N and professor grin grin grin

Internet doesn't forget. Daddy, your children and grandchildren will ask you one day.

Well said

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by ideylaff: 8:31am On May 15, 2019
Coolbadguy:
delusional brains at that federal government.

Charity begins at home. Let them start from Aso Rock
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by ideylaff: 8:32am On May 15, 2019
dokyOloye:
The way Osunbade,Keyamo and Sagay talk sometimes is a disgrace to all lawyers.
Sagay and Osunbade were doing very well until they came across buhari d destroyer who destroys even reputations.

Disappointed in them all. All talk
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by mapet: 8:33am On May 15, 2019
tommyken:
Nigeria economy will go down the more with this statement, investors and big entrepreneurs will be scared to invest in the country.

This party is an enemy of progress

That means you don't understand what this statement means. Check the following examples

1. You are a university student, your father is a civil servant or modest jobs, your mother is a petty trader, yet you drive flashy cars around and live in posh apartment.
2. Your total income (from the day you started working to date) according to ALL RECORDS is XNaira, Yet you have a house worth X^5 Dollars.
3. You are a Civil Servant or Appointed politician. You are expected to declare your assets. Some other properties (not declared) were found or linked to you.
4. A random Rolls-Roys, Porshe or Ferari and the likes was cruising on Lekki expressway or Maitama. Police ran the number plates on the computer and discovered a random guy with no defined means of livelihood.

All these are much more can be seized. The position of the law states that they will be seized until you can explain how you came about them. That is what Osinbajo means. Do you need the law that backs it up? read below

“The Supreme Court in a lead judgment of Akaahs JSC, recently held that forfeiture under Section 17 of the Advanced Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act is a civil process, which neither requires the criminal conviction of the property owner nor his innocence,” he said.

“This opens the door for forfeiture of assets that the purported owner cannot explain, whether or not an allegation of corruption is made,”Osinbajo explained.
https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2019/05/15/osinbajo-fg-can-seize-assets-even-without-corruption-allegation/
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by ideylaff: 8:33am On May 15, 2019
backnbeta:

When you are above the law, you are above the law...no one can shake you undecided

They said no evidence. Laughable and shameful lot they are all
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by MrPRevailer(m): 8:34am On May 15, 2019
So you can now decide to seize Atiku's multi-billion assets at will, without any proof that he is a criminal?

1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by drey076(m): 8:34am On May 15, 2019
jaxxy:
People should read. The clause is if u cannot explain how u came about such wealth. I wonder how sm1 will have wealth and cannot is explain how he got it. Is that possible?
majority of them that comment above did not read the write up before commenting

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by mapet: 8:38am On May 15, 2019
Akolawole:

rolams: :
My hard earned properties!

I pity those who will sent to do the job!

If it is hard earned properties, fair enough.

I knew for a fact that there are hundreds of Nigeria who owns quite a lot of magnificent buildings in Dubai with 'hard earn money'

@Rolams,

You just sounded like someone whose only "evidence" to a claim of ownership of a parcel of land is that his father "was buried on the land". I beg of you, if you have any "hard-earned" properties, make you put all record in order and in safe-keeping, so that if "big-brother" comes, you take them do "yanga"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by mapet: 8:40am On May 15, 2019
gnykelly:

helinues:
Under which law sir?
Your money and your passport can be withdrawn from you.. It belongs to your government... It is written clearly at the back of your passport

Under this law

“The Supreme Court in a lead judgment of Akaahs JSC, recently held that forfeiture under Section 17 of the Advanced Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act is a civil process, which neither requires the criminal conviction of the property owner nor his innocence,” he said.

“This opens the door for forfeiture of assets that the purported owner cannot explain, whether or not an allegation of corruption is made,”Osinbajo explained
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by Xisnin(m): 8:41am On May 15, 2019
Ikillfools:
Meaning the federal government can target the properties of the opposition and seize them without proof of corruption or criminal activity.

My worry is what determines the criteria to determine if someone has properly explained the source of his wealth.

Nigeria makes it seem as if black people lack self governance.

The party you belong to is the criteria.

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by FearGodinall: 8:48am On May 15, 2019
Can the efcc go after Tinubu and co.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by garfield1: 8:48am On May 15, 2019
jaxxy:
My brother,most comment without reading the post first.the vp clearly quoted a recent judgment of the supreme court to back up his assertions yet most are attacking him
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by anonimi: 8:49am On May 15, 2019
Akolawole:
Was he a member of House of assembly in Lagos?

Don't you know how to read and/or understand

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by garfield1: 8:51am On May 15, 2019
SaintM90:
Wait a minute.. Who said this Osunbade is/was an anointed man of God?
Which church again plz because what I'm seeing here issa nitwit, a Man who's being used to achieve a goal..

I hate APC and APC hates me too
Did you read the supreme court ruling he quoted?
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by anonimi: 8:57am On May 15, 2019
Xisnin:
The party you belong to is the criteria.

grin cheesy

FactBoyz:
The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Adams Oshiomhole, has said politicians’ sins are forgiven when they join the ruling party.

Oshiomhole made this statement on Thursday, while welcoming new members to the party, at the APC presidential campaign in Benin.

As he reeled out names of those who have defected from the PDP to the APC, he said: “I am told that there are a lot of very very senior people from PDP who have decided to join forces with President Buhari to take the broom to sweep away PDP and to continue to ensure that APC continues to preside all over Nigeria.

“It includes my own brother, my friend who comes from my own clime, Henry Duke Genebe. He is the former organising secretary of PDP and we also have former vice chairman PDP and leader of Edo North of PDP. We also have my brother Chief Esheshi Godwin. He is also former council chairman and my very dear friend. We have quite a number of other leaders who have come.

“We have quite a number of other leaders who have come… in fact, once you have joined APC, all your sins are forgiven.”

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/dailypost.ng/2019/01/18/join-apc-sins-forgiven-oshiomhole-video/amp/

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3900895_tmpfbimg14671496201601359061659_jpeg16b35e0420df707155480a7e11564764

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by jaxxy(m): 8:58am On May 15, 2019
garfield1:

My brother,most comment without reading the post first.the vp clearly quoted a recent judgment of the supreme court to back up his assertions yet most are attacking him

It’s a huge problem on here and I must say I’m guilty of it smtmes bt this is due to the sensational headlines. Lol

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by GreyLaw(m): 9:05am On May 15, 2019
mapet:

That means you don't understand what this statement means. Check the following examples

1. You are a university student, your father is a civil servant or modest jobs, your mother is a petty trader, yet you drive flashy cars around and live in posh apartment.
2. Your total income (from the day you started working to date) according to ALL RECORDS is XNaira, Yet you have a house worth X^5 Dollars.
3. You are a Civil Servant or Appointed politician. You are expected to declare your assets. Some other properties (not declared) were found or linked to you.
4. A random Rolls-Roys, Porshe or Ferari and the likes was cruising on Lekki expressway or Maitama. Police ran the number plates on the computer and discovered a random guy with no defined means of livelihood.

All these are much more can be seized. The position of the law states that they will be seized until you can explain how you came about them. That is what Osinbajo means. Do you need the law that backs it up? read below

That guy you quoted made a valid point. You are also correct in your assertions, but the truth remains that Nigeria is hell in every sense of the word from lack of electric power , to insecurity, to a failing economy, to every other ill experienced in this country.

Now add the above to the VP telling the world that your assets could be seized without corruption allegations. Yeah, give the investors more reasons not to come. Why should they invest in a country that disrepects the rule of law?

Using Saraki's case as an example, that case went from the CCB all the way up to the supreme court, with the man proving with documents that he made his money from proceeds of sales of rice and sugar. He won his case! Now a confused EFCC chairman is going after same properties that were deemed okay by all the court's in the country.

If you were an investor seeing all these would you invest in such a country that brazenly disregards the courts?
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by Chu2k2: 9:15am On May 15, 2019
ajepako:
And this came from a SAN oh..'

There are two major types of SAN:

1) Federal Character SAN

2) SAN on merit.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by mapet: 9:20am On May 15, 2019
GreyLaw:

That guy you quoted made a valid point. You are also correct in your assertions, but the truth remains that Nigeria is hell in every sense of the word from lack of electric power , to insecurity, to a failing economy, to every other ill experienced in this country.

Now add the above to the VP telling the world that your assets could be seized without corruption allegations. Yeah, give the investors more reasons not to come. Why should they invest in a country that disrepects the rule of law?

Using Saraki's case as an example, that case went from the CCB all the way up to the supreme court, with the man proving with documents that he made his money from proceeds of sales of rice and sugar. He won his case! Now a confused EFCC chairman is going after same properties that were deemed okay by all the court's in the country.

If you were an investor seeing all these would you invest in such a country that brazenly disregards the courts?
First and foremost, fighting corruption does not detter investors. There is no data that supports that assertion. If I may add, FDI had increased post 2019. Any "investor" that cannot come until we "stop fighting corruption" is not an investor

2. Equating the supposed state of Nigeria as a reason not to implement an already existing law is tantamount to leaving in denial.

3. Saraki still has cases to answer. He made his money selling what? Let's not get emotional, else I'll ask you to tell that the families of those who lost their monies in SGB. But that said, the point here is that the laws says unexplained assets be explained or forfeited, what is wrong in that?
Re: Osinbajo: FG Can Seize Assets Even Without Corruption Allegation by orisa37: 9:29am On May 15, 2019
Yes. And pay the Legitimate Owners at going concern rates..

The Lord has need of It: to ride into Galilee and either return or pay for It in Cash and/or Kind later.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chima Igwe: Minister, Senators Plotting To Reinstate Disgraced FIIRO DG / FG Pays ASUU Half Salary For October / Why Do Hausas Are The Most Hated Tribe In Nigeria???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.