Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,816 members, 7,810,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast (39144 Views)

People Eating In Public During Ramadan Will Be Arrested - Sharia Police / Using Vessels Of Gold And Silver For Eating And Drinking. Halaal Or Harom? / Position Of The Law On The Use Of Hijab/Veil In Public Institutions- O.G Chukkol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 16, 2019
The Islamic Sharia police in northern Nigeria’s Kano state briefly detained 80 people accused of eating in public, rather than fasting from dawn to sunset as Muslims are required to do during their holy month of Ramadan.

The Sharia police, known as Hisbah, say the people were arrested at different times across the city of Kano in the past couple of days.

Kano state is one of the several states in northern Nigeria where Sharia law was re-introduced since 2000.

Sharia law is being implemented partially along with the country’s secular law.

The Hisbah spokesman in Kano state, Adamu Yahaya, told the BBC that all those arrested were Muslims and officers do not target non-Muslims because they are not bound by Islamic law.

He said some of those arrested told the Sharia office that they were eating because they did not sight the Ramadan crescent themselves while others feigned sickness, but the authorities found their excuses baseless.

The 80 were admonished and released because they were ”first-time offenders”, Mr Yahaya added.

They were warned that if they were caught again, they would be taken to court. The Hisbah say they will continue with their patrols throughout Ramadan with a view to arresting Muslims who do not observe the fast.

The Ramadan fast is compulsory for all adult Muslims but some categories of people – such as those who are seriously ill – are not required to fast.

https://citinewsroom.com/2019/05/15/80-nigerians-arrested-for-eating-during-ramadan-fast/?fbclid=IwAR1SyQ4XqtKwHukqSjP-NGMI7tu_Y6EEmAzIs17gG_RMO02q2rddlmOvljQ

1 Like

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by Chicagoesontop: 1:18pm On May 16, 2019
grin grin so na by force now to fast ... I can't wait to see Pastors telling members that they will be arrested if they didn't fast and pray or even pay their Tithe ..

134 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by Kwamecron(m): 1:20pm On May 16, 2019
Na force?

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by mrvitalis(m): 1:21pm On May 16, 2019
I really want to ask something ...if as a non islamic person live in kano or sokoto does sharia apply to me ?

11 Likes

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by Chicagoesontop: 1:26pm On May 16, 2019
mrvitalis:
I really want to ask something ...if as a non islamic person live in kano or sokoto does sharia apply to me ?

Read very well, they said that they are not targeting non Muslims Shikena

77 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by JasonScoolari: 1:27pm On May 16, 2019
dominique oya come here right now.

It's either you fast or get arrested very fast. grin

74 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by Truckpusher(m): 1:28pm On May 16, 2019
mrvitalis:
It doesn't but what happens if an overzealous religious person mistook your body language, gesture towards such law as being too stupid to comprehend ? You see , you can never mix Religion and State and expect normalcy.

FINAL ANSWER - Sharia law in a secular democratic state is a serious conflict of interest but for the love of the black gold Nigeria must remain.

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by Truckpusher(m): 1:32pm On May 16, 2019
Chicagoesontop:

Read very well, they said that they are not targeting non Muslims Shikena
You won't see beyond your nose how such laws can be a source of chaos.

What if one was mistaken for a Muslim who's hiding while breaking the law - If you arrest him ? how will you compensate for the fact that his right has been violated ?

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by phelonrays: 1:33pm On May 16, 2019
a beg this una fasting forbid mutual relationship between husband and wife?? cause am confused....yesterday na so so fight we de separate for our compound... just because say the husband no gree give him wife her right..placing this fasting as an excuse............. abeg do preek follow for the fasting??..... cause am not understanding again undecided

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by SpecialAdviser(m): 1:53pm On May 16, 2019
Tell me the difference between Hisbah and Boko Haram and i will show you an ant bigger than elephant.

89 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by Pavore9: 2:00pm On May 16, 2019
"He said some of those arrested told the Sharia office that they were eating because they did not sight the Ramadan crescent themselves while others feigned sickness, but the authorities found their excuses baseless"........ cheesy cheesy

19 Likes

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by osuofia2(m): 2:02pm On May 16, 2019
is it by force to fast? mean while here in Abj me and my soji muslims goons de gulp our beer after work.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by BodePolScience: 2:02pm On May 16, 2019
To hell with that declaration!
Religion of "Peace" indeed.

12 Likes

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by SheikhMuniru(m): 2:05pm On May 16, 2019
This People Will Just Allow Xtians To Be Talking To Us... This Is Rubbish Indeed

12 Likes

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by four4: 2:05pm On May 16, 2019
This is very wrong, either they are Muslim or not, if I fast it is between me and my God and if I do not leave me to my God to judge me. Mind you i am proudly Muslim and I am fasting

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by gbefun40(m): 2:06pm On May 16, 2019
I wonder how Nigeria will develop with high level of unlawful arrest. What is even fundamental right under so called dark age constitution we find ourselves?

6 Likes

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:07pm On May 16, 2019
Bigots shud keep away
The report says only Muslims were arrested

1 Like

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by dominique(f): 2:07pm On May 16, 2019
This is wrong and very unfair. While fasting is prescribed for every Muslim, you can exempt from fasting if you're not strong enough to do so. I don't know if there's any verse of Qur'an Hadith forcing anybody to fast or risk arrest. Why do northern Muslims make things so hard on themselves?

What is this Hisbah police doing about the countless drug abusers/addicts causing menace to the society?

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by AkataYeriYeri: 2:08pm On May 16, 2019
This is very commendable
Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by Debaiz: 2:09pm On May 16, 2019
Truckpusher:

What if one was mistaken for a Muslim who's hiding while breaking the law - If you arrest him ? how will you compensate for the fact that his right has been violated ?

There’s no violation of rights in arrest. You can only violate someone’s right when you detain someone unlawfully(after it has been established that the person is not a Muslim).

Once you’re arrested, the first thing is to establish your religious beliefs. If it doesn’t fall under sharia then you’re released shikena. Don’t make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Sharia is for Muslims and even if such person denies being a Muslim just to avoid the punishment, then it is between him and Allah. There’s no compulsion in religion.

8 Likes

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by AkataYeriYeri: 2:10pm On May 16, 2019
dominique:
This is wrong and very unfair. While fasting is prescribed for every Muslim, you can exempt from fasting if you're not strong enough to do so. I don't know if there's any verse of Qur'an Hadith forcing anybody to fast or risk arrest. Why do northern Muslims make things so hard on themselves?

What is this Hisbah police doing about the countless drug abusers/addicts causing menace to the society?
This has nothing to do with the Quran .
It’s only common sense .
When you’re living in a place where the majority is fasting .
If you have to eat , then don’t do it in Public

2 Likes

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by farem: 2:11pm On May 16, 2019
Chicagoesontop:
grin grin so na by force now to fast ... I can't wait to see Pastors telling members that they will be arrested if they didn't fast and pray or even pay their Tithe ..

First of all, Jesus Christ of Nazareth is my Lord and Savior. I believe He died for my sins and was raised for my Justification.
I am saved from the grip of hell fire by the Blood of the Lamb. Halleluyah!

Back to the discourse: Take Force away from Islam and between ten to twenty years, the religion of 'peace' will die out.
Religion where the father can't tell the children he has found Jesus and vice versa. Where wife cant declare her faith in Jesus and vice versa.
Emirs cant declare publicly their new found faith to the subjects and vice-versa.

Jesus Christ is my Lord, my Saviour and my God

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:11pm On May 16, 2019
Truckpusher:

Trouble maker

they say only Muslims were arrested

If u re arrested simply say u re not a Muslim and u will be allowed to go
Have u heard any Christian complain of being arrested

Why drink panadol for Muslims headache

6 Likes

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by tenmariner: 2:11pm On May 16, 2019
More like a regiment

1 Like

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by smartchoice900: 2:11pm On May 16, 2019

1 Like

Re: Ramadan: 80 Nigerians Arrested For Eating In Public During Fast by NOETHNICITY(m): 2:13pm On May 16, 2019
farem:

First of all, Jesus Christ of Nazareth is my Lord and Savior. I believe He died for my sins and was raised for my Justification.
I am saved from the grip of hell fire by the Blood of the Lamb. Halleluyah!
Back to the discourse: Take Force away from Islam and between ten to twenty years, the religion of 'peace' will die out.
Religion where the father can't tell the children he has found Jesus and vice versa. Where wife cant declare her faith in Jesus and vice versa.
Emirs cant declare publicly their new found faith to the subjects and vice-versa.

Jesus Christ is my Lord, my Saviour and my God
And u had to accept that u re a Muslim to be able to dump this trash here.

This thread is supposed to be for Muslims only, but Christians can't just stay away

7 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Understanding Jazakummullahu Khairan / Chinese Man Converts To Islam In Kano State, Gets New Muslim Name. Photos / Nigerian Pilgrim, Hasiya Aminu, Dies In Saudi Arabia (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.