Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,211 members, 7,825,793 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement (1335 Views)

How Supreme Court Resolved Presidential Election On 25% Vote In FCT / Court Clarifies Its Judgement:Never Granted Obi Access To Database Of INEC / How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement by ejimatic: 2:25pm On May 16, 2019
How Supreme Court Justices arrive at judgments – CJN
May 9, 2019Halimah Yahaya

The acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Mohammad Tanko, on Thursday spoke on how the Supreme Court arrives at its judgments.

Receiving the management of Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) who paid him a courtesy visit in his office, Mr Mohammed said the justices of the apex court are independent-minded and cannot be intimidated by anybody.

He said the judicial officers are only answerable to their conscience and God while writing and delivering judgments in all cases that come before them.

This was contained in a statement issued by the Director, Press and Information, Supreme Court of Nigeria, Akande Festus, at the end of the visit.

Other Justices of the Supreme Court at the event were Olukayode Ariwoola, Kekere-Ekun, Musa Dattijo, Ejembi Eko and Uwani Abba-Aji.

“We take our time in taking notes and writing judgments to avoid making mistakes. We subject every case before us to intense debates and arguments during our conferences in order to be as dispassionate and objective as possible.

‘’Let me state clearly that we are not answerable to anybody and can never be intimidated by anybody whatsoever in taking our decisions.

“But for certain, we are only answerable to God Almighty because he is the owner of our lives. No human being, living or dead can influence the reasoning or judgments of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

“We are very independent in the Supreme Court because of the enormity of the trust and responsibility reposed in us by the Almighty God, the Constitution and our dear nation,” the acting CJN stated.

According to the statement, Mr Mohammed told the AMCON visitors that the Supreme Court of Nigeria has so far remained the busiest and most hardworking Supreme Court in the world.

He said this is in view of the number of appeals received and heard on a weekly basis as well as the number of judgments delivered within a short duration.

“I beat my chest to say that there is no Supreme Court in the world that works the way the Supreme Court of Nigeria does.

“Except when we go on our annual vacation between late July and early September of every year, we keep hearing appeals. It is on record that there is no day of the week, between Monday and Friday that we don’t sit.

“We deliver judgments on Fridays. Sometimes, we give as much as 35 judgments on some Fridays. We oftentimes over-stretch ourselves, as we work assiduously day in, day out.

“If you see the number of appeals that come to this court on a regular basis, it will shock you. Basically, as it is today, there is nothing we can do about it for now, except there is a Constitutional amendment. Ideally, it is not every case that is supposed to reach the Supreme Court. Some ought to be terminating at the Court of Appeal.’’
Re: How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement by ejimatic: 2:27pm On May 16, 2019
ejimatic:

How Supreme Court Justices arrive at judgments – CJN
May 9, 2019Halimah Yahaya

The acting Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Mohammad Tanko, on Thursday spoke on how the Supreme Court arrives at its judgments.

Receiving the management of Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) who paid him a courtesy visit in his office, Mr Mohammed said the justices of the apex court are independent-minded and cannot be intimidated by anybody.

He said the judicial officers are only answerable to their conscience and God while writing and delivering judgments in all cases that come before them.

This was contained in a statement issued by the Director, Press and Information, Supreme Court of Nigeria, Akande Festus, at the end of the visit.

Other Justices of the Supreme Court at the event were Olukayode Ariwoola, Kekere-Ekun, Musa Dattijo, Ejembi Eko and Uwani Abba-Aji.

“We take our time in taking notes and writing judgments to avoid making mistakes. We subject every case before us to intense debates and arguments during our conferences in order to be as dispassionate and objective as possible.

‘’Let me state clearly that we are not answerable to anybody and can never be intimidated by anybody whatsoever in taking our decisions.

“But for certain, we are only answerable to God Almighty because he is the owner of our lives. No human being, living or dead can influence the reasoning or judgments of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

“We are very independent in the Supreme Court because of the enormity of the trust and responsibility reposed in us by the Almighty God, the Constitution and our dear nation,” the acting CJN stated.

According to the statement, Mr Mohammed told the AMCON visitors that the Supreme Court of Nigeria has so far remained the busiest and most hardworking Supreme Court in the world.

He said this is in view of the number of appeals received and heard on a weekly basis as well as the number of judgments delivered within a short duration.

“I beat my chest to say that there is no Supreme Court in the world that works the way the Supreme Court of Nigeria does.

“Except when we go on our annual vacation between late July and early September of every year, we keep hearing appeals. It is on record that there is no day of the week, between Monday and Friday that we don’t sit.

“We deliver judgments on Fridays. Sometimes, we give as much as 35 judgments on some Fridays. We oftentimes over-stretch ourselves, as we work assiduously day in, day out.

“If you see the number of appeals that come to this court on a regular basis, it will shock you. Basically, as it is today, there is nothing we can do about it for now, except there is a Constitutional amendment. Ideally, it is not every case that is supposed to reach the Supreme Court. Some ought to be terminating at the Court of Appeal.’’
. “We take our time in taking notes and writing judgments to avoid making mistakes. We subject every case before us to intense debates and arguments during our conferences in order to be as dispassionate and objective
Re: How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement by Ikem11(m): 2:34pm On May 16, 2019
If mod no ban this betting guy wetin we come gain from reading this topic?

1 Like

Re: How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement by Olatunji1929: 3:04pm On May 16, 2019
I agreed with you mr magaji audu tanko I also believe that case can't be influenced at supreme Courtesy

Re: How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement by respect80(m): 3:39pm On May 16, 2019
Ikem11:
If mod no ban this betting guy wetin we come gain from reading this topic?
It's just so annoying. How can someone who claims to be winning millions of naira on weekly basis be so much interested in the 3k or 10k that people buy fixed games? To the extent that he dedicates all his time to visit every thread to post adverts for people to buy game...

A millionaire that spends all of his time on FB and Nairaland, is that one a millionaire?
Re: How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement by Ikem11(m): 4:59pm On May 16, 2019
respect80:

It's just so annoying. How can someone who claims to be winning millions of naira on weekly basis be so much interested in the 3k or 10k that people buy fixed games? To the extent that he dedicates all his time to visit every thread to post adverts for people to buy game...

A millionaire that spends all of his time on FB and Nairaland, is that one a millionaire?

My brother I tire

1 Like

Re: How Supreme Court Arrive At Its Judgement by respect80(m): 6:32pm On May 16, 2019
Ikem11:

My brother I tire
Nairaland mods are not taking their job seriously na. If not e for no b like that

(1) (Reply)

This Afenifere PDP Wing's Can Never Divide US / Gov. Wike Calls Gov. Hope Uzodimma A Man Of Questionable Character / APC Notifies INEC On Its Preparation To Conduct Direct Primary In Edo-photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.