Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,288 members, 7,818,980 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje (45561 Views)

Presidential Election Results May Affect Guber Races In 10 States / Statement From Emeka Ihedioha On The Supreme Court Ruling On Imo Election / Fada Oluoma Reacts To Supreme Court Verdict On Imo Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by dre11(m): 6:19am On Jan 16, 2020
A former leader of the defunct Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) and former ally of President Muhammadu Buhari, Buba Galadima, yesterday described the Supreme Court verdict, which declared Hope Uzodinma Imo State governor-elect as the greatest wonder in world history.

He said: “What has happened is that the Supreme Court has now tied itself because how can they do that to Emeke Ihedioha and refuse Abba Kabiru Yusuf in Kano? It was exactly what had happened in Kano.

“If an election had to be cancelled, it has to be at the polling unit level according to the Supreme Court. But in Kano, the votes were not cancelled at the polling unit; they were not cancelled at the ward level but they were cancelled at the local level. So, it goes without saying that Ganduje is gone, and anything to the contrary, Nigeria will see the fire.”

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) meanwhile presented its Certificate of Return to Uzodinma yesterday.

INEC National Commissioner in charge of Rivers, Bayelsa and Edo, May Agbamuche-Mbu, presented the certificate during a short ceremony at the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.

Chief Press Secretary to INEC Chairman Rotimi Oyekanmi had told journalists earlier that the electoral umpire would comply with the Supreme Court ruling that sacked the former governor, Emeka Ihedioha, once it received the order.

Late Tuesday, the apex court, in a unanimous judgment by a seven-man panel of justices led by Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) Tanko Muhammad, had held that Ihedioha, who contested on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) was not duly elected.

Uzodinma has since placed a “Post No Debit” order on Imo State funds. A letter to that effect dated January 14, signed by the director-general of his campaign organisation, Chief Cosmas Iwu, was addressed to all financial institutions in the state.

In a valedictory statement he issued in Owerri, Ihedioha described his ouster as a “contravention of the will of people.” He said: “I am reporting back to you, our great Imo people, on the fate of the mandate you freely gave to me as governor and Engr. Gerald Irona as deputy governor. This mandate has now been truncated and cut short by the Supreme Court, in contravention of the will of the people.

“I do not agree with the judgment of the Supreme Court. I think it is unfair, unjust and does not reflect the voting that took place during the elections. It also didn’t take care of the sensibilities of the people of Imo State. But as true democrats, Engr. Gerald Irona and I have no option but to respect the outcome of that judgment.”

He said: We have put machinery in motion to hand over the reins of office to the APC candidate as the next governor of Imo State. The Secretary to the State Government will coordinate this. I, therefore, direct all members of Imo State Expanded Executive Council and all political appointees to write their handover notes and return all government property in their custody, forthwith. I shall not be a party to the pilfering of government property or funds.”

Reacting to Uzodinma’s triumph, the Progressive Governors Forum (PGF) expressed optimism that the new governor would empower the citizenry in the state.

PGF’s chairman, Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, in a statement said that the forum would work with Uzodinma to strengthen the capacities of progressive states to create jobs, stimulate economic activity, reduce inequality and diminish poverty.

“We rejoice with you and the people of Imo State, and all lovers of democracy and justice in Nigeria in this rightly deserved victory that restored your stolen mandate.

“We, in particular, wish to commend your doggedness, resilience, commitment to the rule of law and abiding faith in the judiciary that culminated into this ultimate victory. It is victory at last for us all. We welcome you to the fold of Progressive Governors as you take over the mantle of leadership in Imo state.”

Also reacting to the judgment, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar urged the PDP and Ihedioha to accept the verdict and move on.

“With regard to the judgment of the Supreme Court, which nullified the election of the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Emeka Ihedioha, as governor of Imo state, I can only say that since the Supreme Court is final, we must accept its judgment, however unexpected and unpalatable it may be,” Atiku said in a statement yesterday.

He advised: “The rule of law must guide our paths even if logic sheds light on a different path,” adding: “Let me state unequivocally that I solidarise with Emeka Ihedioha, a man I know to be a great leader of men and resources. In the fullness of time, I am convinced that he will overcome this setback and emerge stronger.”

He urged the people of Imo all Nigerians not to despair, stressing: “This nation has gone through despotic times before, and we have survived them and thrived. I am very certain that this history will repeat itself.”
https://m.guardian.ng/news/how-supmreme-court-ruling-on-imo-may-affect-ganduje/

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Bukino222(m): 6:26am On Jan 16, 2020
Nigeria would see fire

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Luckylife(m): 6:39am On Jan 16, 2020
Politics can be very funny in this part of the world.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by donpapa(m): 6:44am On Jan 16, 2020
The same Judiciary under this government? People must have forgotten the “Osun template” so soon? The technicality in law would be in full swing. Just wait for the abracadabra next week!

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Racoon(m): 6:45am On Jan 16, 2020
Lets see how this iberiberism will pans out in the case of Gandollar.However, we all know the "technology & technicality" that will be applied.This is because Kano is strategic hence the compromised APC regime will ensure the SC force it their way.Whatever, the judiciary have long gone to the dogs.

87 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by adioolayi(m): 6:46am On Jan 16, 2020
Ganduje, Tambuwal no go sleep......Na to dey try visit Fr. Mbaka for midnight go dey their minds now grin grin

Fr. Mbaka, Naija's politicians new bride.

Meanwhile, the cancelled votes in Kano elections was over 126,000 ..and not that a party's votes was cancelled....entire polling units were cancelled by the polling units electoral officer.

In the case of IMO....Polling units officers submitted signed results, but was not accepted at the ward level collation centre. Summarily, the north knows how to play this dirty politics..all grounds covered. Last last...a rerun of entire election in Kano may take place.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Jestin: 6:46am On Jan 16, 2020
The judicial system has been compromised if not , Ganduje would have loose the case.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by swiz123(m): 6:46am On Jan 16, 2020
The joke would actually be on you if you claim to be ignorant of the 'double standard' approach to issues in Nigeria

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by frowland(m): 6:46am On Jan 16, 2020
You think this is US? APC loose Kano? Even if you replicate the scenario to be exactly like the case of Imo, Tanko will still find a way to corner the matter. Those guys got no chill.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by YoungLionken(m): 6:47am On Jan 16, 2020
As far as Gandollar is an apcheat, nothing negative will happen to him...

6 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by President2031: 6:48am On Jan 16, 2020
Forget Ganduje is not going anywhere.

No be Nigeria be this??

7 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Trendy247: 6:48am On Jan 16, 2020
As long as the dullard remains president, laws must be bent to favour gandollar

3 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by SEGLIZ: 6:48am On Jan 16, 2020
Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Gten(m): 6:49am On Jan 16, 2020
Affect Ganduje? APC has a template for each case and a docile/cowardly Supreme Court to execute same. Moreover, all that would happen is a few days of grumbling and Nigerians are back to their normal lives.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Minjim: 6:49am On Jan 16, 2020
Let's wait and see

1 Like

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by emmasege: 6:49am On Jan 16, 2020
APC losing Kano will be sweeter to me than PDP losing Imo.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by inforesource: 6:50am On Jan 16, 2020
Shouldn't we be asking questions on what the Supreme Ice cream is doing? Are we still joking in 2020? The world is moving fast ahead of us.

2 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by DonFreshmoney(m): 6:50am On Jan 16, 2020
I am also Eagerly awaiting the verdict of Kano state and bauchi state (home state of the CJN) before taking my stand on the state of Nigeria judiciary.. that's where I would comment on the 3 verdicts

I want to see something

8 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by nwamabo247(m): 6:51am On Jan 16, 2020
Forget about that in Nigeria all judgement and not the same some people are judged according to their party or who has a stake
Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by YelloweWest: 6:51am On Jan 16, 2020
Let's watch and see
Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Enemyofpeace: 6:52am On Jan 16, 2020
Bukino222:
Nigeria would see fire
I can't wait to see that happen

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by ArmaniUhuru: 6:52am On Jan 16, 2020
This is Apc Nigeria.

Watch how the cooking pot for the lizard will not be the same cooking pot for the chameleon.

Supreme Court sacking Ganduje is Future Impossible Tense.

5 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Tookool(m): 6:52am On Jan 16, 2020
I hope it does so that Sanusi can be at rest atleast. Ganduje has kept the Emir on his toes lately
Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Wickedtruths: 6:53am On Jan 16, 2020
This Buba Galadima is a big fool. He has jumped to Kano.

In the poling unit in his own state, PDP got only 2 votes. Meanwhile, PDP had 4 representatives there. I'm very sure Buba Galadima voted Apc.

6 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by EagleNest(m): 6:53am On Jan 16, 2020
How can Ganduje be sacked under CJN Tanko judiciary? Impossible!

11 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by MamaFryo(f): 6:53am On Jan 16, 2020
What is good in Imo is good in Kano. If you know you know. January 25 is already here.

4 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by okofians(m): 6:53am On Jan 16, 2020
[qquote author=dre11 post=85835055]
https://m.guardian.ng/news/how-supmreme-court-ruling-on-imo-may-affect-ganduje/[/uote]Ganduje stays
Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by kokoA(m): 6:53am On Jan 16, 2020
What's is good for Greece is good for Uganda.. grin

5 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by bimgo: 6:55am On Jan 16, 2020
Gandollar blood pressure 240/160

3 Likes

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Wickedtruths: 6:57am On Jan 16, 2020
Tambuwal is a goner. By January 20, they would kick him out.

1 Like

Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by OakConsultNG: 6:59am On Jan 16, 2020
Interesting times...

Meanwhile, register your Business, Church and Company with the CAC at discounted prices. Check our signature and page for more details.

Offer lasts for a limited period only.
Re: How Supreme Court Ruling On Imo May Affect Ganduje by Commentor: 6:59am On Jan 16, 2020
I'm glad many of you now fear and respect APC.

Took you 5 years, but you've finally come around.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

APC Primary: More Governors Pitch Tent With Osinbajo / Pictures From Ongoing NLC Protest In Ikeja Lagos / Throwback Photo Of Buhari In Ogoniland In 1984

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.