Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... (40100 Views)

Hilda Baci: Your Dressing Shows It's Not Just Food You’re Selling – Pastor / God Told Me He's Tired Of People Who Are Not Married But Have Sex - Preacher Say / If The Sexual Urge Is Too Strong & You Are Not Married, Just Do This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by jclassiq(m): 3:12pm On Sep 29, 2019
Christmasdon:
Thankfully, nairaland can make a day without tacha.

Until you carelessly mention it again..smh
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by Omotexc: 3:13pm On Sep 29, 2019
Emotion is powerful than knowledge,
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 3:28pm On Sep 29, 2019
damosky12:

This is error!
Fornication is having sex or lusting after someone you aren't married to.
Let's go to the Bible,
show me scripture that defined fornication this way

1 Corinthians 6:18-20
[18]Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
this scripture did not define fornication now. No definition of it here

[19]What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
[20]For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
is this the definition of fornication? cheesy

What then does he mean by fornication? Let's follow it up in the next verses (in chapter 7)...

1 Corinthians 7:1-2
[1]Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. [OUTSIDE MARRIAGE]
[2]Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. [MARRIAGE]
why are you infusing MARRIAGE AND OUTSIDE MARRIAGE artificially in the scripture?
Please let the scripture take it national course.
If you look at the scriptures you quoted properly, obviously what Paul was trying to address was the issue of men sleeping with their father's wives going by the definition of fornication in 1 Corinthians 5:1(the only scripture that properly defined fornication as used in bible days)

1 Corinthians 7:1...Is it good for a man to touch a woman?(women including fathers wives as sleeping with fathers wife was very common among men in those days) .
1 Corinthians 7:2 therefore resolve that to avoid sleeping with your father's wife, let every man have their own wives.

I think this is not hard to understand now

Any sex OUTSIDE MARRIAGE is Fornication.
you are yet to bring one scripture to support this faulty stand

BF, GF sexual relationship is not the Bible relationship for man and woman. It's satanic to think so. MARRIAGE is the only means.

To make it clearer.

1 Corinthians 7:9
[9]But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

He didn't say, "if they can not contain, let them date". No!!!

MARRIAGE is the only relationship recognized for sexual relationship.

Anything OUTSIDE is of the devil.
and I'm telling you that the moment a man sees a woman and she agree to unite with him, marriage has started already, no further formalities. This is how marriage was in bible days.
bf and gf relationship is not different from this unless the couple involved are not taking the bf and gf relationship seriously as marriage.

Who corrupted your mind.

Did you see "SUCH FORNICATION" there?
read king James or see the screen shot marked with blue touch below

He is explaining the kind of fornication there...

See the AMPLIFIED version

It is actually reported [everywhere] that there is sexual immorality among you, a kind of immorality that is condemned even among the [unbelieving] Gentiles: that someone has [an intimate relationship with] his father's wife." — 1Cor 5:1
the sexual immorality(fornication in KJV) is simply sex with father's wife and nothing more

..is sex OUTSIDE MARRIAGE.
this do not in anyway reflect in the 1 cor 5:1, I don't know where you are getting it from.

Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 3:38pm On Sep 29, 2019
shadeyinka:

Sex and sexual activities outside the confines of marriage in any form including between bf and gf is fornication.

The bible recommend a solution to sexual pressures: Go Marry not get a gf or bf!

1 Cor 7:9: "But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."
in bible days, when a man approach a woman and she accept the relationship, marriage has started immediately.
bf and gf is not different from that unless the people involved in the bf and gf relationship are not talking the relationship seriously as marriage
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 3:40pm On Sep 29, 2019
fairfora:
Please quote the bible verse that supports your claim. Thanks
what do think my claim is?
Didn't you see the 1 Corinthians 5:1 I quoted?
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 3:41pm On Sep 29, 2019
Hipsofagoddess:

What kind of devilish translation is this written with all boldness? Ignorance is truly a disease.
is that all? grin
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 3:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
Kulas:

Please are you a child of God.Was shocked hearing you mention boyfriend/girlfriend.Is having boyfriend/girlfriend permitted biblically as a Child of God ?. I dont know what is going on in this generation that a child of God can bodly have boyfriend/girlfriend and claim its not a sin but a normal thing to do.Please repent if you are treading on this path and still claim child of God or born again.
can you please explain what is sinful about bf and gf of 18+ couples?
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 3:45pm On Sep 29, 2019
kingmurainah:

How is that the truth?
read my last 3 comments on this thread
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 3:54pm On Sep 29, 2019
jclassiq:

Do you sound sensible even to yourself?
what seems sensible to you humans is extreme foolishness before God.
You think God who created humans does not know what he created?

Adam who never had any wedding or engagement party with Eve yet she was called his wife, can you boldly say that was not sensible?

For your information, if you as a man impregnate a woman today without any marriage ceremony with her, the law demands that you provide for her fully as though you have wedded her.

You cannot abandon the pregnancy responsibility to her alone saying because i did not marry you.
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by shadeyinka(m): 3:59pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
in bible days, when a man approach a woman and she accept the relationship, marriage has started immediately.
bf and gf is not different from that unless the people involved in the bf and gf relationship are not talking the relationship seriously as marriage
I wish you had stated a verse to prove that when a man approaches a woman and she accepts marriage has started... For this is completely untrue.

How do you relate with this scripture:
Matt 5:31-32:
"It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife girlfriend , let him give her a writing of divorcement: but I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife girlfriend, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

Do you think this scripture makes sense with respect to boyfriend/girlfriend relationship or marriage?
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 29, 2019
Peace in...

Sex is Sex regardless of when and where it happens, as long as it is consensual.

If sex is a sin, then, it is a sin for all at any point; nothing like married or not. If pregnancy can happen anytime without regards for human sexual ethics, then, Nature must have given no f*ck about what God or man thinks.

What you feel about sex has nothing to do with sex, rather, it is a kind of mental judgement that depends on individual orientation by the socio-religious agents.

I agree we all must endeavor to outgrow basic instincts as a sign of spiritual progress, but surpressing and blackmailing natural instincts is never a way to go.

... Peace out
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by ZiriMane(m): 4:13pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
where are your scripture to support this falsehood?

All I'm letting you is, it is possible to be faithful to a bf and gf relationship just like marriage

if you have a good command of simple English you wouldn't be saying this!
1 Corinthians 7:2
Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

note: have a wife or a husband to avoid fornication

Galatians 5:19
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Ephesians 5:3
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

Acts 15:29
That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

1 Corinthians 6:18
Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by ZiriMane(m): 4:34pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
it isn't fornication when both of them involved are faithful to each other. Infact, at that point they are better than married people who are cheating on one another.

Now, contrary to what we think fornication is, that it means sex involving unmarried people. Here is the Bible's view of what fornication means.

1 Corinthians 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

So, fornication means a young man having sex with his father's wife or a young woman having sex with her mother's husband.

In general, it means sex with a close relation.

Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 4:44pm On Sep 29, 2019
shadeyinka:

I wish you had stated a verse to prove that when a man approaches a woman and she accepts marriage has started... For this is completely untrue.
Look at this

1 Samuel 25:40 And when the servants of David were come to Abigail to Carmel, they spake unto her, saying, David sent us unto thee, to take thee to him to wife.
1 Samuel 25:42 And Abigail hasted, and arose, and rode upon an ass, with five damsels of hers that went after her; and she went after the messengers of David, and became his wife.
no marriage

Did you see that?
This is just one example.

If I should start mentioning the cases of Isaac and Rebecca, Solomon and Queen of Sheba, Abraham and Sarah, Joseph and Mary(the mother of Jesus), there will be no space to put all these scriptures here.

How do you relate with this scripture:
Matt 5:31-32:
"It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife girlfriend , let him give her a writing of divorcement: but I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife girlfriend, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."
you shouldn't have problem with the word boyfriend or girlfriend they are married people so long they are into a committed relationship.(except they are not committed to the relationship that's where the problem comes)

Matthew 5:32 ..whosoever that put away his wife saving for the course of her having sex with her mother's husband or a relation(incest). (apply the definition of fornication in 1 Corinthians 5:1 here, you will understand what the scripture is driving at. There is so much sense in it, far better than applying unmarried people having sex )

Do you think this scripture makes sense with respect to boyfriend/girlfriend relationship or marriage?

there was nothing like boyfriend or girlfriend in bible days, but people were having sex the moment they are up to the age, perhaps 18 years and above.
boyfriend and girlfriend are just recent words used to describe friendship of the opposite sex which is still the same thing people do in bible days
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 4:56pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZiriMane:

if you have a good command of simple English you wouldn't be saying this!
Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

note: have a wife or a husband to avoid fornication

Galatians 5:19
Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Ephesians 5:3
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

Acts 15:29
That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

1 Corinthians 6:18
Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

my guy, people marry in bible days without any wedding ceremony.
bf and gf is relationship without any wedding ceremony.

Therefore bf and gf = marriage in bible days.

Do you get that?
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by ZiriMane(m): 5:06pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
my guy, people marry in bible days without any wedding ceremony.
bf and gf is relationship without any wedding ceremony.

Therefore bf and gf = marriage in bible days.

Do you get that?

show me where you got this knowledge from. Before then Read these scriptures and see God's view concerning marriage
Matthew 24:38
For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
Matthew 25:10
And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Luke 17:27
They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
Luke 20:34
And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
John 2:1
And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:
Hebrews 13:4
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by Nobody: 6:03pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
what do think my claim is?
Didn't you see the 1 Corinthians 5:1 I quoted?
You quoted out of ignorance, sorry. The bible verse itself is clear. Paul admonished them to refrain from fornication which the gentiles were known for, to the extent that they were having seex with their father's wife. Don't upturn the scripture ols
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 6:32pm On Sep 29, 2019
fairfora:
You quoted out of ignorance, sorry. The bible verse itself is clear. Paul admonished them to refrain from fornication which the gentiles were known for, to the extent that they were having seex with their father's wife. Don't upturn the scripture ols
what do you mean by to the extent?
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by jaxxy(m): 6:43pm On Sep 29, 2019
Sounds right and in order
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 6:50pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZiriMane:

show me where you got this knowledge from.

1 Samuel 25:40 And when the servants of David were come to Abigail to Carmel, they spake unto her, saying, David sent us unto thee, to take thee to him to wife.
1 Samuel 25:42 And Abigail hasted, and arose, and rode upon an ass, with five damsels of hers that went after her; and she went after the messengers of David, and became his wife.

no marriage!!

Before then Read these scriptures and see God's view concerning marriage
Matthew 24:38
For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
Matthew 25:10
And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Luke 17:27
They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
Luke 20:34
And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:
Hebrews 13:4
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

I never said there are no marriage ceremonies in the bible.
All I'm letting you know is that, most marriages back then where based on the agreement between the couple, no marriage ceremony or formalities attach.
Example is 1 Samuel 25:42 I just quoted.
And God will approve such union and couple are known as husband and wife.

Now, let me ask you this question.
Will you support a situation where a man who is an average earner who does not have the finance to do the necessary marriage ceremony is asked to wait until he has the money before he can get married to the woman who has accepted to live with him?
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by bluefilm: 7:37pm On Sep 29, 2019
Nonsense. lipsrsealed
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by damosky12(m): 7:40pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
show me scripture that defined fornication this way
this scripture did not define fornication now. No definition of it here
is this the definition of fornication? cheesy
why are you infusing MARRIAGE AND OUTSIDE MARRIAGE artificially in the scripture?
LOL. Stop being combative. It's childish. grin

Open your mind.

See this,

1 Corinthians 7:1-2
[1]Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.

It is good for a man not to touch A WOMAN. He didn't say "his family member" or any other thing. See verse 2

[2]Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

"let every man have his own WIFE and every woman, her own HUSBAND."

Note, he didn't say "partner", neither did he say "girlfriend/boyfriend".

Why not, for God sake, stay silent where the Bible is silent??

In essence, if she is not your WIFE/HUSBAND, it is fornication.

Please let the scripture take it national course.
If you look at the scriptures you quoted properly, obviously what Paul was trying to address was the issue of men sleeping with their father's wives going by the definition of fornication in 1 Corinthians 5:1(the only scripture that properly defined fornication as used in bible days)

I believe you understand basic English language. SEE:

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father's wife. (NIV)

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father’s wife. (ESV)

It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of such a kind as does not exist even among the Gentiles, that someone has his father's wife. (New American Standard Bible)

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles—that a man has his father’s wife! (NKJV)

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and the kind of sexual immorality that is not even tolerated among the Gentiles--a man is sleeping with his father's wife. (Christian Standard Bible)

It is actually reported [everywhere] that there is sexual immorality among you, a kind of immorality that is condemned even among the [unbelieving] Gentiles:
that someone has [an intimate relationship with] his father's wife." (AMP)

It is clear English. Except you choose to be dishonest.
That verse wasn't defining fornication!

Paul only emphasized the strange KIND OF FORNICATION being committed and named among the Corinth church.

Fornication, generally, meant sexual relations with someone you aren't married to.

[2]Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Hence, to have sexual relations with ANYONE who one isn't married to, is FORNICATION.

1 Corinthians 7:1...Is it good for a man to touch a woman?(women including fathers wives as sleeping with fathers wife was very common among men in those days) .
1 Corinthians 7:2 therefore resolve that to avoid sleeping with your father's wife, let every man have their own wives.

I think this is not hard to understand now
you are yet to bring one scripture to support this faulty stand

LOL. You are a funny guy... Tell me, are you consciously trying to be funny? grin

and I'm telling you that the moment a man sees a woman and she agree to unite with him, marriage has started already, no further formalities. This is how marriage was in bible days.
bf and gf relationship is not different from this unless the couple involved are not taking the bf and gf relationship seriously as marriage.

THE BIBLE NEVER SAYS THAT. In Genesis 24, Rebekah's parents had to give her away to Abraham to be Isaac's wife before they could be marriage.

Genesis 24:58-60
[58]And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go.
[59]And they sent away Rebekah their sister, and her nurse, and Abraham's servant, and his men.
[60]And they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her, Thou art our sister, be thou the mother of thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them.

In Genesis 29:29, Laban gave Rachael, his daughter, to be the wife of Jacob before MARRIAGE took place.

Genesis 29:29
[29]And Laban gave to Rachel his daughter Bilhah his handmaid to be her maid.

In Exodus, Zipporah's father gave her to Moses before there could be marriage between them.

Exodus 2:21
[21]And Moses was content to dwell with the man: and he gave Moses Zipporah his daughter.

Marriage is a FORMAL ceremony. The parents had to consent to a union of their child (female) with a male child.

Now, see,

1 Corinthians 7:38
[38]So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better.

So, you see. There is a GIVER before a marriage is a marriage. It was a formal process.

Matthew 22:30
[30]For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

You don't just get GF, and say it means you are in marriage. Rather absurd!

That's not how it was in Bible days!

Jesus participated in a marriage CEREMONY.

[1]And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there:

It wasn't a boyfriend and girlfriend knowing each other...

Boyfriend and girlfriend is not MARRIAGE. It is two young people in sexual relationship. Not marriage.

BTW, before two people can be known as married, the church has to be carried along that they are MARRIED. The church has to consent to such a relationship, before it can be said to stand.

1 Timothy 3:15
[15]But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

What ever is established outside of the church's approval is not in line with truth.

read king James or see the screen shot marked with blue touch below
the sexual immorality(fornication in KJV) is simply sex with father's wife and nothing more
this do not in anyway reflect in the 1 cor 5:1, I don't know where you are getting it from.

I hope the above analysis will help you put things in right perspective.

In conclusion,
1 Corinthians 7:9
[9]But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Marry there speaks about a formal process which involves A giver a receiver and the CONSENT of the church.

It's not bf gf thing.

Open your mind, sir.
Let's not be rebellious against the truth.
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by shadeyinka(m): 8:33pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
Look at this

1 Samuel 25:42 And Abigail hasted, and arose, and rode upon an ass, with five damsels of hers that went after her; and she went after the messengers of David, and [b]became his wife .[/b]
no marriage

Did you see that?
This is just one example.

If I should start mentioning the cases of Isaac and Rebecca, Solomon and Queen of Sheba, Abraham and Sarah, Joseph and Mary(the mother of Jesus), there will be no space to put all these scriptures here.
you shouldn't have problem with the word boyfriend or girlfriend they are married people so long they are into a committed relationship.(except they are not committed to the relationship that's where the problem comes)
Because you wish to justify iniquity, you present scriptures where there was silence as per wedding ceremony.

No problem! I am willing to use the same rule with you.

In the two cases raised, the request for question was "marry me!".
Not let's be having sex until we get married!
Not let's be friends!

What is marriage?
Marriage is a Spiritual, Cultural and Legal union between a man and a woman for the purpose of living together as Husband and Wife.

Any union that doesn't fulfill ALL this isn't marriage. I believe you know that marriage can occur without the church, the mosque or even the court of law.

Let me explain:
Spiritual : even when a man sleeps with a harlot, he becomes one(spiritually) with the harlot.
This alone doesn't constitute marriage
Cultural: When the cultural requirements are fulfilled (and their society recognise them as man and wife)
Legal: It henceforth becomes an offence for any other man or woman to violate the sexual intimacy between them.

Any sexual relationship that does not fulfill these three conditions is NOT marriage.

If you can show me either from the scriptures or otherwise where a couple is married and the three cardinal pivot are not present.

paxonel:

Matthew 5:32 ..whosoever that put away his wife saving for the course of her having sex with her mother's husband or a relation(incest). (apply the definition of fornication in 1 Corinthians 5:1 here, you will understand what the scripture is driving at. There is so much sense in it, far better than applying unmarried people having sex )
there was nothing like boyfriend or girlfriend in bible days, but people were having sex the moment they are up to the age, perhaps 18 years and above.
boyfriend and girlfriend are just recent words used to describe friendship of the opposite sex which is still the same thing people do in bible days

Oh, you know that Boyfriend/Girlfriend relationship DID NOT EXIST in the Bible times and you are forcing current contemporary situations into bible definition. No, it can't werk!

First the GREEK word used as fornication is Pornia and it has a range of meanings.

Strong’s Definitions
πορνεία porneía, por-ni'-ah; from G4203; harlotry (including adultery and incest); figuratively, idolatry:—fornication.

It is not just one concrete cast meaning.
Lets look at some examples

1. Promiscuity: Rev9:21, Rev14:8, Rev17:2
2. Incest: 1Cor5:1
3. Premarital Sex: 1Cor7:2
4. Homosexuality: Jude1:7

Try inserting incest into each of the given scriptures and see complete violation of meanings.

Your bolded is completely UNTRUE!
If that is the case, why should anyone look for the token of chastity on wedding consummation?

Deut 22:15-20:
"then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate:........"

Or you mean that the girls Parent can argue that their daughters first Boyfriend deflowered her (and they present such evidence). This is a flaw of logics.

Finally, let's analyse this scripture to see if you make sense!

Matt 5:28: "but I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart."

Here is how the Master Jesus redefined "Adultery"! Keywords:
"whosoever": married or not
"a woman": married or not
"lust": mental expression/desire for sexual relationship

Matt 5:32:
"but I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

1. Why would a divorce cause the divorced woman to commit adultery? (Isn't she already divorced and so, free?)
2. In the same way, why should the person who marries the divorced woman commit adultery (against the man)?

Rev 2:14:
"But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Ba´laam, who taught Balak to cast a stumbling-block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication."

1. Can you show that Balaam promoted incest amongst the children of Israel?
2. If Israel fornicated with the daughters of the Midianites, how could it be called INCEST?
Num31:1-16 ( note verse 16)

Let's not justify immorality: and teaching others to do so

3 Likes

Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by bereto(m): 8:44pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
it isn't fornication when both of them involved are faithful to each other. Infact, at that point they are better than married people who are cheating on one another.

Now, contrary to what we think fornication is, that it means sex involving unmarried people. Here is the Bible's view of what fornication means.

1 Corinthians 5:1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

So, fornication means a young man having sex with his father's wife or a young woman having sex with her mother's husband.

This is a wrong teaching and from the depths of hell
How do you measure their faithfulness if they've not openly declared it before God and man and even after that some are still not faithful.
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by KingWarri: 8:57pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:

Na waoooh
Nothing we no go see...

See as dis one they turn bible upside down to justify e own stupid opinion -:\
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by Makschinchin: 9:45pm On Sep 29, 2019
BabaIbo:
Hmmm...
Are you saying smooching or having romance without sex with your gf/lady is fornication?

And what is the essence of having a gf/bf in the first place?? As a Christian, it's absolutely wrong to have or keep such.. Fiancé/fiancée is the right word.. Premarital sex is not acceptable before God.. So, what you're asking isn't good too
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by Makschinchin: 9:50pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
People make it sound like fornication starts in one day.

No it doesn't, it starts from a smile, a 'hi', then a greeting and then...then...then...till you...

So, the only cure for fornication, if you really want to avoid it, is to get married or avoid the opposite sex.

Thank me later.

Sorry to disagree sir, a hi, smile or a greeting is not the beginning of fornication... You should have used the word lust and I'll agree with you..

Thanks for giving the only Godly cure to fornication which is getting married o wink
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 29, 2019
paxonel:
what do you mean by to the extent?
Bible is interpreted in different versions and I quote 1chorinthians 5:1 in a new international version which reads thus: " It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife"

Here, paùl was admonishing his people to stop sexual immorality and a kind that a pagan (i.e. those who do not believe there's God ) do not even tolerate...(which is) "a man sleeping with his father's wife"

If you do not still understand that...then you need to ask God for knowledge.
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 11:36pm On Sep 29, 2019
fairfora:
Bible is interpreted in different versions and I quote 1chorinthians 5:1 in a new international version which reads thus: " It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife"

Here, paùl was admonishing his people to stop sexual immorality and a kind that a pagan (i.e. those who do not believe there's God ) do not even tolerate...(which is) "a man sleeping with his father's wife"

If you do not still understand that...then you need to ask God for knowledge.
please help me interprete this scripture. grin

Romans 9:23-24 New International Version (NIV)

23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory
24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?

Is the scripture saying "OBJECT OF HIS MERCY" and "EVEN US " , that these two terms are exclusively independent of one another? meaning, OBJECT OF HIS MERCY and EVEN US are not referring to one and the same thing?

you can start reading it from verse 23 to get the picture of what the scripture is saying.

Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 11:44pm On Sep 29, 2019
KingWarri:

Na waoooh
Nothing we no go see...

See as dis one they turn bible upside down to justify e own stupid opinion -:\
so,the best thing to do na to come dey insult abi?

idiot!
Mumu!

Shame nor dey catch you?
Nothing were you no go see, now were you don see am what next?

My friend get out of ya!
Monkey grin

Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 12:00am On Sep 30, 2019
bereto:

This is a wrong teaching and from the depths of hell
How do you measure their faithfulness if they've not openly declared it before God and man and even after that some are still not faithful.
who is doing the measure of faithfulness is it God or man?
Why will you as a man who never join the two together(because what God has joined together..) want to always take measurement of their faithfulness?
Can't you mind your business?

And moreover, couples who had wedded whose faithfulness were measured by men and were very happy during the wedding ceremony but inspite all that they ended up crashing the marriage, how was the measurement taking saved the marriage?

So, you see, it's not about the wedding and the ceremony and the show of love, it's about the agreement between the couple involved from day one they met each other.

I'm not kicking against wedding or marriage ceremonies ofcourse i love it too, i wedded my wife too. But all I'm saying is the society the church got it wrong the moment they started making it a law that one most perfom marital rites before they can be recognized as husband and wife, it was not so from the beginning.
Re: Fornication Is Not Just Sleeping With Someone You Are Not Married To... by paxonel(m): 1:03am On Sep 30, 2019
shadeyinka:

Because you wish to justify iniquity, you present scriptures where there was silence as per wedding ceremony.

No problem! I am willing to use the same rule with you.

In the two cases raised, the request for question was "marry me!".
Not let's be having sex until we get married!
Not let's be friends!
you are missing the point I'm making.

bf and gf should not be let's have sex until we get married, it should be instant marriage till death do the couple apart. (whether they will end up do their wedding ceremony or not in the future)

The society has adopted faulty principles that's why things are not going well with people

What is marriage?
Marriage is a Spiritual, Cultural and Legal union between a man and a woman for the purpose of living together as Husband and Wife.
no, there is nothing spiritual or legal about marriage, check your dictionary, marriage is simply agreement between the two to live together as one.
It now left for the couple involved to make their marriage spiritual or legal. making marriage spiritual or legal should not be a general idea.
For instance, atheists are not into anything spiritual but it is still their right to get married if they want, the world is a free world.

Any union that doesn't fulfill ALL this isn't marriage. I believe you know that marriage can occur without the church, the mosque or even the court of law.
how is marriage then spiritual if that is so?
Do you really know what it means to say something is spiritual?

Let me explain:
Spiritual : even when a man sleeps with a harlot, he becomes one(spiritually) with the harlot.
totally wrong, I don't know where Africans are getting this wrong diabolical concept from grin grin

This alone doesn't constitute marriage
if the man request from the harlot her hand in marriage right there on that bed of having sex with her and the harlot accept, marriage has started right there at that point. There is nothing anyone can do about it. grin

Cultural: When the cultural requirements are fulfilled (and their society recognise them as man and wife)
Legal: It henceforth becomes an offence for any other man or woman to violate the sexual intimacy between them.
as if you are not living in Africa and you don't see what is happening grin
The ones that has been violated and they are still violating till tomorrow what has culture and the law or legal systems done about them?
A man will abandon his wife and children leaving the woman to cater for the children alone and go for another woman right at the nose of the law and culture, and nothing will happen.

So, you see, it takes only the couple involved to keep to part of the agreement they had with one another for marriage to work, not any culture or legal system can make it work.

If you can show me either from the scriptures or otherwise where a couple is married and the three cardinal pivot are not present.
I have told you about David and Abigal, there was nothing like culture and legal systems, the bible recorded that Abigail followed Davids men to David immediately, and she became his wife.
Also, the moment Adam saw Eve, he declared, this flesh of my flesh and bone of my bone, from that moment she became his wife.
No culture,
No tradition,
No legal system,
No family,
Nothing.

Note: I'm not kicking against culture or legal system, these things should be optional.
Even me, i got wedded, white wedding in church, i did the traditional rites too. But all I'm saying is i cannot stand in the way of people who can't afford to do these things by bringing laws that they must do them before I recognize that they are married. If i should do a thing like that, that is nonsense! grin grin

Infact, in this issue of marriage it's a free world.
Everyone are entitled to do what they like, whether they want to do wedding ceremony or not. But what is important is the agreement the couple had and to willingly keep to that agreement till death do them apart.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Michael The Archangel Really Jesus? (revelation 12:7) / Reasons Why You Must Not Go To Hell Fire / Ten Ways That Show That Your Prophet Or Prophetess Is Fake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.