Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,360 members, 7,780,985 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:53 AM

Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts (13034 Views)

Pretty UNIPORT Student Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Depression / Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites / Steps To Check Your Matric Number On JAMB Matriculation List (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Blogsphere: 7:12am On May 18, 2019
The rate of depression and suicide has been on the rise in Nigeria in the last few years. Suicide has now become a way out of the challenges of life. No one can truly understand the feeling, and for those that have the thoughts, it can be very difficult to deal with.

However, suicide should not be the last resort, even though it could seem like a relief from unbearable pain and misery.

Luckily, there are ways to subdue suicidal thoughts that can move you away from hurting yourself and getting your life back on track. It is not an exact science, but we have spoken to professionals, and these are ten ways to deal with depression and suicidal thoughts.

1. Talk to Someone

Never feel like you are alone. Reach out to friends and family members you trust and tell them exactly how you feel. If you can’t access family members, there are call help centers and organizations like MentallyAwareNG that you can also call and tell your problems, and help will be sent to you.

2. Stay away from any thing that you could use to harm yourself

When you begin to develop these suicidal thoughts try and stay away from any potentially harmful object or substance, whether knife, poison or sniper.

3. Seek help from a counsellor

There are those who are professionally trained to offer help in these type of situations, reach out to one and relay how you feel exactly. These counselors will guide you on how to get rid of the depression and suicidal thoughts.

4. Seek religious help

Churches, mosques, or any religious house often offer counseling and help in these situations. If you are religious, reach out to your pastor, imam, guru, etc., let them help you .

5. Find a distraction

Try as much as possible not to stay idle. Go out as much as much as you can, go out with friends and have a good time. Staying at home alone will definitely rekindle and aggravate those suicidal thoughts. Hence, when your mind is distracted the thoughts of taking your life will gradually fade away.

6. Suicidal thoughts are just thoughts.

Some will argue they’re not just thoughts, but for the purpose of fighting it, convince yourself that they are just thoughts, and you do not have to act on them. Let them continue to remain thoughts and do not let them overshadow you.

7. Get a good amount of sleep

Sleeping and resting regularly is very important in these type of situations. When you begin to feel that all hope is lost and the thought suicide as a last resort begins to creep in, sleep tends to disappear. Try as much as possible to get some sleep; force it if possible, so that your mind can be at rest.

8. Avoid alcohol and drugs

Alcohol and drugs might seem as a quick fix to get your mind off your problems, but they actually do more harm than good. They won’t make your problems go away, and can change the way you feel, think or behave in negative ways. Alcohol and drugs might even drag you deeper into depression.

9. Seek medical help

Seek urgent medical attention, especially with regards your mental state. Sometimes depression and suicidal thoughts might occur as a result of a recurring mental disorder that could be hereditory or caused by trauma from a bad experience. Try and see a psychiatrist/doctor to know your mental state and to get the necessary help. Treat your mental health like your physical health, because it is just as – if not more important.

10. It isn’t the end of the world

No one can truly understand how you feel. As helpless as you may feel, always remember that there is a future ahead filled with possibilities. Draw inspiration from famous people who have failed and still made it. Always remember that suicide is not the best option.

Nigerian Suicide Prevention Initiative hotlines – 08062106493, 08092106493

SOURCE: https://www.inoutnaija.com/2019/05/these-are-steps-to-take-in-dealing-with.html

c

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by ABCthings: 7:24am On May 18, 2019
More on four
Jesus is the way

7 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Gospeltruth02: 7:25am On May 18, 2019
What gets me through it every time, is remembering that I’ll be leaving more pains for the few people who love me especially being the only child of the house... And also to disappoint those who are patiently waiting for my downfall. I won’t hand them that in a plater of gold. They need to do more...

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by lonelydora: 7:25am On May 18, 2019
How true is this?

I heard there is a suicide Whatsapp group and there is an Admin instructing people on how to take their lives.

If this is true, then Nigeria is really a sh*thole

6 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Emily22(m): 7:26am On May 18, 2019
I guess diz shit is real.......
Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by versashee: 7:26am On May 18, 2019
If you are facing depression, instead of drinking Sniper, why not drink Heineken and feel all right?

Sniper is 700 naira, heineken is about 300 naira. Just buy two cans of Heineken.

I tire for Youngsters of these days.

34 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Mizwisdom(f): 7:27am On May 18, 2019
Read books, order them from me smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Adicsonbaba(m): 7:27am On May 18, 2019
Ok
Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by munalight(f): 7:27am On May 18, 2019
Thank you.
Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Karleb(m): 7:27am On May 18, 2019
I do not see anything wrong with taking alcohol when you are depressed, people take it when they are sad. But the drugs? That's a no!

2 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Bossontop(m): 7:27am On May 18, 2019
Become like dis guy and hustle legit.......ma hear say depression no fear to near u

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Nobody: 7:27am On May 18, 2019
Many people habour suicidal thoughts but are scared of killing themselves

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by jimi4us: 7:28am On May 18, 2019
A few years ago Nigeria was rated one of the most happiest people on earth,

Fast forward Buhari era everyone is depressed. This Next Level go reduce Nigerian Population.

Don't be deceived, if you go to the north suicide is an everyday thing there. People are tired over there.

10 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by sinaj(f): 7:28am On May 18, 2019
Learn how to play a new game, excercise or participate in a new sport

2 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by sundaygray(m): 7:28am On May 18, 2019
Helpful tips, but that can only help those who have hope

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by tunjilee003: 7:29am On May 18, 2019
nice update but The Best way to stay out of suicidal thoughts is to go out and interact with people

2 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by fish23(m): 7:29am On May 18, 2019
Just drink beer. grin
Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Heylius(m): 7:29am On May 18, 2019
The only way na to make money bro.. Person wey no get money go dey depressed die.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by lonelydora: 7:30am On May 18, 2019
Karleb:
I do not see anything wrong with taking alcohol when you are depressed, people take it when they are sad. But the drugs? That's a no!

Some of us that 'rescue alcohol trapped inside bottles' know exactly what we are doing. They don't see what we see.

8 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Boyooosa(m): 7:30am On May 18, 2019
@op, I have three questions for you:
1, can lack of money cause depression?
2, if it does and one calls those two lines, can they help one to resolve the problem?
3, how?

Thanks for anticipated sincere response.
We are waiting...

1 Like

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by martowskin1(m): 7:31am On May 18, 2019
I Neva thought a time will come when suicide will be a topic in this nation..... Demnnn

See what frustration has led this nation to

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by helinues: 7:32am On May 18, 2019
Depression is only accumulated of undone tasks/unresolved problems. People who always run away from their problems/responsibilities have high % of getting depressed.

Suicidal thoughts came when the subconscious mind already finalised about no solutions/ or possible ways to solve all the problems .

I don't care attitudes contributed most to depressions.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by Exponental(m): 7:32am On May 18, 2019
Go for whatever you love doing.... Sports, movie, sex, travel....

2 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by kaen1317: 7:32am On May 18, 2019
Smoke some natural herb

3 Likes

Re: Steps To Take In Dealing With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts by ichidodo: 7:33am On May 18, 2019
take antidepressants

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lies You Told In Secondary School / Tips On Effective Time Management For Students. / See Neco Office Address Zonal/state & Phone Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.